• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
It'll be nice not worrying about Pokemon attacking us when we're out exploring. Sure it's fun in Legends Arceus to sneak past the aggressive Pokemon and it's really not hard to get out of harm's way, especially once you get Braviary, the exception being the Mirelands since most of the Pokemon there want your head. But it'll be nice to just walk around and have Pokemon either ignore you or simply try to initiate a battle.
I think they did that to show that as a different time, back when Pokemon were feral creatures and people actively feared them. Unless this game is also set in the past like Legends Arceus is I'm not expecting this mechanic to return.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
Recap trailers just came out on the Polish and Hungarian Nintendo YouTube channels almost an hour ago. New presents/trailer incoming soon as tomorrow or next week?

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Recap trailers just came out on the Polish and Hungarian Nintendo YouTube channels almost an hour ago. New presents/trailer incoming soon as tomorrow or next week?
Why does it mean we r getting a presents/trailer?

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
It's now mid-May, we should be getting news by now but not even an indication that anything is coming up. Hopefully these games aren't barebones like (imo) SwSh we're.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Not really indicative of anything.

Major info for SWSH dropped on June 05, 2019 through a Pokemon Direct. But HOME news did get dropped on May 29, 2019, just like we recently had. Of course, I would LOVE to have news before this month ends. And nothing says that they need to release news in June, especially now that there's no E3 and there's no Treehouse to showcase gameplay.

Anyway, this is what was revealed in the direct:
  • Zacian, Zamazenta, Gossifleur, Eldegoss, Wooloo, Corviknight, Drednaw
  • Leon, Hop, Prof. Magnolia, Sonia, Milo
  • Dynamax, Max Raid Battles, Wild Area, Rotom Phone
  • Boxarts revealed, release date announced
Then on the Treehouse Demo (June 11, 2019):
  • Yamper*, Impidimp* (shown on the game but not officially revealed)
  • Nessa
  • Y-Comm, Poke Ball Plus compatibility
  • Dexit

If we're going by this, the next trailer hopefully reveals the region name, boxart, release date, box legends, several new Pokemon, Rival, Professor, at least 1 Gym leader (if any), and a few gameplay mechanics.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
It's now mid-May, we should be getting news by now but not even an indication that anything is coming up. Hopefully these games aren't barebones like (imo) SwSh we're.

They don't announce when we're getting news until shortly before it happens (usually the day before at this point). I wouldn't worry too much that we have no idea when the next news is coming (in terms of the exact date, we usually have a pretty good idea of what months they reveal major news), we never do. Just the nature of their marketing now.

Not really indicative of anything.

Major info for SWSH dropped on June 05, 2019 through a Pokemon Direct. But HOME news did get dropped on May 29, 2019, just like we recently had. Of course, I would LOVE to have news before this month ends. And nothing says that they need to release news in June, especially now that there's no E3 and there's no Treehouse to showcase gameplay.

Anyway, this is what was revealed in the direct:
  • Zacian, Zamazenta, Gossifleur, Eldegoss, Wooloo, Corviknight, Drednaw
  • Leon, Hop, Prof. Magnolia, Sonia, Milo
  • Dynamax, Max Raid Battles, Wild Area, Rotom Phone
  • Boxarts revealed, release date announced
Then on the Treehouse Demo (June 11, 2019):
  • Yamper*, Impidimp* (shown on the game but not officially revealed)
  • Nessa
  • Y-Comm, Poke Ball Plus compatibility
  • Dexit

If we're going by this, the next trailer hopefully reveals the region name, boxart, release date, box legends, several new Pokemon, Rival, Professor, at least 1 Gym leader (if any), and a few gameplay mechanics.

This is pretty standard stuff to get in the first big info dump after release, or at least by the end of June. It's practically a given that we'll get that kind of stuff soonish. Look at what we got for some of the previous generations as well:

XY

May 2013 Corocoro (Leaked May 11, 2013):
  • Region revealed to be Kalos and Lumiose City revealed. Full region map also shown
  • Kalos Dex divided into Central, Coastal, and Mountain Kalos
  • Fletching, Helioptile, Pancham, and Gogoat revealed
  • Gogoat riding revealed
E3 2013 (Aired June 11, 2013):
  • Fairy type revealed. Sylveon, Gardevoir, Jigglypuff, and Marill confirmed to be retyped to Fairy.
  • Spewpa, Vivillon, Noivern, Skrelp, and Clauncher revealed.
  • PSS, Pokemon Amie, Horde Battles, and Sky Battles revealed
  • Release date confirmed to be October 12, 2013
June 2013 Corocoro (Leaked June 12, 2013):
  • Viola and Alexa revealed. Viola confirmed to be the gym leader of Santalune City.
  • Shauna, Trevor, and Tierno revealed, and the opposite gender of Calem/Serena is also confirmed to be rival. Vaniville Town revealed to be the starting town.
  • Scatterbug, Litleo, Flabebe revealed

SM

First Trailer Drop (Aired May 10, 2016):
  • Region revealed to be Alola. Map of Melemele Island shown.
  • Rowlet, Litten, and Popplio revealed to be starters.
  • Kukui and Hala revealed, but their roles are not specified.
  • Release date confirmed to be November 23, 2016 for EU and November 16, 2016 for all other regions.
Second Trailer Drop (Aired June 2, 2016):
  • Solgaleo and Lunala revealed as mascot legends
  • Kukui revealed to be the Professor. Hau and Lillie also revealed.
  • Rotom Dex revealed
June 2016 Corocoro (Leaked June 11, 2016):
  • Zygarde 10% and Perfect Zygarde revealed
  • Rockruff and Komala revealed
E3 2016 (Aired June 14, 2016):
  • Pikipek, Yungoos, and Grubbin revealed
  • Battle Royale revealed
Third Trailer Drop (Aired June 30, 2016):
  • Tapu Koko, Charjabug, Vikavolt, Drampa, Togedemaru, Cutiefly, and Bruxish revealed
Most of your list isn't exactly a bold prediction. The region name, full region map, Professor, Rival, mascot legends, a few prominent Pokemon (probably the regional bird and/or rodent and some other random ones), gameplay mechanics that are especially emphasized in the game, and release date are practically a given for the next trailer, and if not then, then most likely by the end of June. If there are new dex features (which I'm not sure there will be, but I could certainly be wrong here), we'll probably hear about them too. Gyms might be a bit later, but if they're tied into a major gameplay change we could see them. New burst mechanics are about 50/50 (I'm inclined to believe they'll save this for June/July, they probably have a lot of other things to cover).

In particular with SV, I think they'll also elaborate on some of the mechanics that tie into the open world and go into more detail on how the open world changes the gameplay. If we can explore areas in any order or complete gyms in any order, I think they'll confirm that in this trailer (and I think that would be the most likely way we hear about anything gym related this early). They'll probably also clear up how catching and battling will compare to LA and older games, if not by directly stating any new mechanics, they should at least show how with gameplay footage.

EDIT: Added extra reveals until the end of June to give a better idea of when these crucial pieces of information were revealed.

Last edited:

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
My top guesses for the first trailer will be the release date, boxart, legendary mascots and the name of the region. Start with the basics, and then the second trailer can reveal some new Pokémon and characters.

Also need to pay attention to any older Pokémon appearing so that we can tick off more boxes for the regional Pokédex and therefore what is coded into the game.

TheLink

Eunie is as Eunie does.
I…lowkey kind of forgot about these? Not literally mind you but in the realm of games I’m aware of coming out these kind of slipped my mind. Which is weird for new-generation titles for me. Hoping we get some news soon.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The Switch is seemingly repeating the 3ds cycle where the previous gen gets more revealed earlier.

The first trailer for X & Y showed us the starters and legendaries from the get go.
Sun and Moon didn't show us much of anything besides some assets when first announced.
It wasn't until May 10 in 2016 where starters and legendaries were revealed.

In a sense, we were lucky to get a detailed view of the region and see the starters for SC/VI.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The Switch is seemingly repeating the 3ds cycle where the previous gen gets more revealed earlier.

The first trailer for X & Y showed us the starters and legendaries from the get go.
Sun and Moon didn't show us much of anything besides some assets when first announced.
It wasn't until May 10 in 2016 where starters and legendaries were revealed.

In a sense, we were lucky to get a detailed view of the region and see the starters for SC/VI.

Actually XY and SwSh showed us a detailed view of the region and the starters as well, the only difference is that those trailers were only showing off linear areas (XY only had linear areas and SwSh kept the Wild Area a secret for its first trailer and didn't reveal it until the second trailer) whereas SV is open world so we're seeing large open fields that largely didn't exist in those games. We've received roughly an average amount of information from the reveal trailer compared to the last three gens. XY is the one that probably revealed the most because it was the only one of the 4 that showed not only the starters, but the mascot legends as well (which SwSh didn't get until its second trailer and SM didn't get until its third) and we saw some teasers to some other new mechanics in that trailer like the roller skates and customization while there wasn't much we could glean from the SwSh reveal and it's hard to say with any confidence that there's anything being teased in the SV reveal trailer (some people are pointing to the school uniform-looking outfits and the type icons in the city, but it's hard to say if those are actually hints to some kind of gameplay mechanic or if people are just reading too much into things whereas it was a bit more clear with XY).

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Wait, SV will be fully open world? Meh...i rather like the route system

Yes, this was confirmed on the official website.

https://scarletviolet.pokemon.com/en-us/

The Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet games, the newest chapters in the Pokémon series, are coming to Nintendo Switch later this year. With these new titles, the Pokémon series takes a new evolutionary step, allowing you to explore freely in a richly expressed open world.

Various towns blend seamlessly into the wilderness with no borders. You’ll be able to see the Pokémon of this region in the skies, in the seas, in the forests, on the streets—all over! You’ll be able to experience the true joy of the Pokémon series—battling against wild Pokémon in order to catch them—now in an open-world game that players of any age can enjoy.

Notice they're very clear about this being an open world, they specifically use the phrase "open world" and describe how the towns blend seamlessly into the wilderness with no borders. They want people to clearly understand that this isn't like the old games where you had linear paths and specific entrances/exits to areas, and it's not like Legends Arceus which had multiple open areas that were disconnected from each other.

Again, I suspect they'll be clarifying how exactly this will work with the next trailer(s), the open world sounds like it will be a central part of the game's marketing and they probably want to save some details about how it works for those trailers to build hype. But they did seem to want to promote the open world by showing vast sweeping landscapes and confirming that it's open world. In retrospect it really makes me wish they had a voiceover person like the one from XY or BDSP/LA in the reveal trailer promote this game as an open world as that would've made things a lot clearer and get everyone even more hyped, but what they did was still fine.

I'm sure there will still be routes. You just won't be forced to use them.

Don't be so sure about that. Aside from Crown Tundra none of the open areas in SwSh or LA had anything truly analogous to routes, they do seem to be moving away from that concept. They have main drags, relatively easy to identify paths that take you to various points of interest, but said main paths aren't really distinguished as separate linear areas from the open areas off the beaten path. I suspect SV will do the same, there won't be any routes, but there will be main paths that make it easy to tell what direction to go to reach any areas important to the main quest. They pretty much have to do that much, or else we'll get more complaints about the kids and casual audience they love oh so dearly getting lost and ragequitting the game because they don't know where they're going.

Honestly I think it's for the best anyway, as it gets really confusing and tiring having 5 different areas called "Route 1".

Orphalesion

Considering that this region will take place in modern times rather than in an old-timey frontier land I suspect there will be some sort of network of roads running between the cities/towns and you will be able to either follow them or run off into the wilderness whenever you like. Maybe there will even be travelling npcs and trainers along those roads and stuff like that.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Don't be so sure about that. Aside from Crown Tundra none of the open areas in SwSh or LA had anything truly analogous to routes, they do seem to be moving away from that concept. They have main drags, relatively easy to identify paths that take you to various points of interest, but said main paths aren't really distinguished as separate linear areas from the open areas off the beaten path. I suspect SV will do the same, there won't be any routes, but there will be main paths that make it easy to tell what direction to go to reach any areas important to the main quest. They pretty much have to do that much, or else we'll get more complaints about the kids and casual audience they love oh so dearly getting lost and ragequitting the game because they don't know where they're going.

Honestly I think it's for the best anyway, as it gets really confusing and tiring having 5 different areas called "Route 1".

Those main drags are the routes, even if they're not explicitly identified as such.

Such drags will always exist, as it offers ease of travel, as you stated. Breath of the Wild has a crap ton of them. I'm sure Scarlet & Violet will too.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Those main drags are the routes, even if they're not explicitly identified as such.

Such drags will always exist, as it offers ease of travel, as you stated. Breath of the Wild has a crap ton of them. I'm sure Scarlet & Violet will too.

Ehh "route" usually means something fairly specific in Pokemon and I'm not sure you can really call something a route if it's not explicitly numbered and especially if it's not a linear overworld area. I think when people are talking about "routes" they're talking about traditional routes like the non-Wild Area, non-DLC areas of SwSh and the overworld routes from before that game, where it's a linear path that you have to get through to progress. The difference between that and the main drags likely has the greatest impact on the gameplay. If you struggle on a route, such as with a particular trainer, you just have to tough it out, maybe grind your team up to get through it, but if you struggle with a main drag in an open world you can just go around it.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Ehh "route" usually means something fairly specific in Pokemon and I'm not sure you can really call something a route if it's not explicitly numbered and especially if it's not a linear overworld area. I think when people are talking about "routes" they're talking about traditional routes like the non-Wild Area, non-DLC areas of SwSh and the overworld routes from before that game, where it's a linear path that you have to get through to progress. The difference between that and the main drags likely has the greatest impact on the gameplay. If you struggle on a route, such as with a particular trainer, you just have to tough it out, maybe grind your team up to get through it, but if you struggle with a main drag in an open world you can just go around it.

"Route" used to mean something fairly specific in Pokémon.

The word 'route' isn't going to suddenly vanish from the series simply because we're moving towards open world. It's just gonna return to its general definition. Let's not make this more difficult than it is.

Orphalesion

Tomato-Tomahtoe, honestly. Road, route, path whatever, point is there'll probably be road-looking things in the game.