• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Late to the route conversation but something I missed was Kalos having actual names for the routes like Route 1 being called Vaniville Pathway and Route 2 being called Avance Trail. Made me feel more immersed into the world rather than just another route with a number

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
The real tea is Pokémon need not catch up to anyone else. Most video game franchises don't sell nearly as much as Pokémon, nor have as big of a loyal fanbase.

As horribly disappointed as I was with Gen 7, it wasn't enough to keep me from buying every game in Gen 8. That's just how it is.

The loyalty of the fandom is certainly one of the reasons Game Freak takes their time with advancing. Of course, that means loyalty is also one of the reasons Scarlet & Violet looks like s*** right now. lol
Why does scarlet and violet look like ****? I can agree legends looked rough but SV look good to me. Then again I'm not a big graphics person. But be more specific what exactly looks bad because I don't follow?

Pokemon Power

Well, it's almost June, that's when I predict the next batch of Scarlet and Violet info will be shown. Hopefully, it won't be a repeat of last year, when many of us fans were expecting Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl news in June, but ended up getting it two months later with Legends info, which I personally think was a bad move, since there was a two-month difference between the games' release dates.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Why does scarlet and violet look like ****? I can agree legends looked rough but SV look good to me. Then again I'm not a big graphics person. But be more specific what exactly looks bad because I don't follow?

Personally, I feel Scarlet & Violet currently looks too much like Legends, which already has its limitations. When I first saw the trailer for SV, I legit thought we were getting Legends DLC. That's how similar it looks to me.

I do have faith that the game's appearance will improve markedly over the next 5 months, as did Legends, but for now, I'm not feeling it. Will it keep me from buying the game? Probably not. To this day, there's only one Pokémon game I ever returned, and that's USUM.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
The biggest thing I'm anticipating with Scarlet & Violet is that people will post Dressrosa references & memes once the hype train picks up since they're both based on Spain.

Aside from that, I'm not sold on the art style since the characters are too realistic, have a serious uncanny valley vibe, & completely lost all of the charm/appeal pokemon characters usually have. Between this and the fact that the last few gens haven't had as much replay value, this might be my last pokemon game before I drop the series. Hopefully future trailers will get me more excited for the game.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Scarlet and Violet are visually a step up from previous titles as the Pokemon now have distinguishing textures.
I'm surprised this isn't talked about a whole lot.

Personally, I feel Scarlet & Violet currently looks too much like Legends, which already has its limitations. When I first saw the trailer for SV, I legit thought we were getting Legends DLC. That's how similar it looks to me.
Between the new locales, modern buildings and structures, distinguishing landmarks, and the aforementioned textures, how did you even think this was going to be Legends DLC? I can understand not thinking this as a new generation at first, but not some tag along content for Legends Arceus.

There was also the new protagonist from the starting home, but that could have been a turning point.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Scarlet and Violet are visually a step up from previous titles as the Pokemon now have distinguishing textures.
I'm surprised this isn't talked about a whole lot.

Between the new locales, modern buildings and structures, distinguishing landmarks, and the aforementioned textures, how did you even think this was going to be Legends DLC? I can understand not thinking this as a new generation at first, but not some tag along content for Legends Arceus.

There was also the new protagonist from the starting home, but that could have been a turning point.

It wasn't until I saw the textures of the pokemon that I realized it wasn't Legends DLC.

I initially thought the 'DLC' would take place in the present, where the main character of Legends initially fell from. But at any rate, let's be real. Look at the environment, even before the modern buildings. You can't tell me that doesn't look similar to Legends.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
"Similar" is a relative term. I guess it looks similar in that there was a year difference between the game releases. Legends Arceus looks better than Sword/Shield to me. To me, SV looks a bit cleaner, with some more detail than Legends, but maybe that's just what I'm seeing. Also, I feel like with reveal trailers, we don't fully grasp the full picture as we are seeing something new and are not necessarily knowing what exactly we are seeing in the moment, which is sort of their nature.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Well, it's almost June, that's when I predict the next batch of Scarlet and Violet info will be shown. Hopefully, it won't be a repeat of last year, when many of us fans were expecting Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl news in June, but ended up getting it two months later with Legends info, which I personally think was a bad move, since there was a two-month difference between the games' release dates.

I doubt it. They could afford to show BDSP and LA later than usual because LA was releasing later than usual and BDSP was a faithful remake with not much to show. I think that year is going to be the exception, not the rule. Aside from last year, we've consistently had a big blowout of info on the upcoming game by the end of June going as far back as XY (and even before then, we tended to have significant details about the games revealed around this time).

Ultra Beast Lover

I like the graphics just fine, it was a little weird seeing Seviper with scales and Drifloon kind of looks like my plush Drifloon and yeah the protagonists faces look a little weird but otherwise the graphics look fine. What I'm worried about is the story and the characters, Legends had a good if simple story so I'd like SV to go a step beyond. I'm also hoping that the protagonists are just as expressive as they are in Legends. I'm replaying Ultra Sun and, while it is fun, the player character never stops smiling it's like their mouths are melded shut so at the very least I don't want them doing that.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I like the graphics just fine, it was a little weird seeing Seviper with scales and Drifloon kind of looks like my plush Drifloon and yeah the protagonists faces look a little weird but otherwise the graphics look fine. What I'm worried about is the story and the characters, Legends had a good if simple story so I'd like SV to go a step beyond. I'm also hoping that the protagonists are just as expressive as they are in Legends. I'm replaying Ultra Sun and, while it is fun, the player character never stops smiling it's like their mouths are melded shut so at the very least I don't want them doing that.
That always bothered me about the Alola games too! The PC is constantly smiling even during the scenes depicting destruction. It just feels very very wrong. I’m hoping that the Yungoose line gets into the games to act as a second rival to Seviper and Zangoose. I think that would be very interesting to see Zangoose and Seviper actually having a common enemy that they will stop fighting with each other and team up to attack Yungoose and Gumshoo.

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
That always bothered me about the Alola games too! The PC is constantly smiling even during the scenes depicting destruction
That always bothered me too, but ever since Masters integrated that problem into Elio & Selene’s personalities I now find it hilarious

Last edited:

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I think that GF forgot they r releasing a new game....

They didn't forget. It's not June yet.

It's become clear they're beginning the campaign in June, as they did with Sword & Shield. The upshot to that is we'll likely get a lot of information within the first presentation of the campaign. My personal guess is:

- Region Name & Overview
- Box Legendaries
- Starter Gameplay
- 3-5 New Pokémon Revealed (besides legendaries)
- First Town
- First Route
- New Gimmick/Gameplay Mechanic
- First Two Gym Leaders (assuming gym leaders return)
- Story Synopsis
- Info on Ties to Pokémon Legends Arceus
- Info on Pokémon Home Compatibility
- Info on Regional Dex Size
- Open World Features

The Head Honchkrow

It's become clear they're beginning the campaign in June, as they did with Sword & Shield. The upshot to that is we'll likely get a lot of information within the first presentation of the campaign. My personal guess is:

- Region Name & Overview
- Box Legendaries
- Starter Gameplay
- First Town
- First Route
- Story Synopsis
- Open World Features
I don't think we'll get that much information right off the bat from the first presentation; if the marketing campaign is indeed the same as Sw/Sh, we'll be getting new information on a monthly basis, so stuff like the new mechanic and Gym Leaders/NPCs will likely be in future presentations.
Anyway, I imagine we'll get a specific date for the first presentation within a few days, as the first presentations for S/M and Sw/Sh were announced about a week beforehand.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3

- Region Name & Overview
- Box Legendaries
- Starter Gameplay
- First Town
- First Route
- Story Synopsis
- Open World Features
Well hopefully their marketing strategy will be more like the one in SM where the trailers were exciting and revealed many things.
The trailers for Swsh was MEHH..... barely revealed anything and was VERY repetitive

For me the best thing about a new game is the period before its released, where we get new info and talk about it
Playing the game itself takes just a few days and then hype is down

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I think that GF forgot they r releasing a new game....

They always "forget" until May/June then have a big blowout of info. Seems like it's trending towards that blowout happening in June. I suspect the big blowout is coming some time in the next two weeks.

As far as my predictions:
  • Region name revealed
  • Box legendaries revealed
  • Rivals revealed
  • 3-5 new Pokemon revealed (one of which being either the regional bird, rodent, or bug)
  • Reveal of some prominent/early game areas, possibly that city shown in the first trailer
  • How the open world works (will we be able to visit any area from the start? Challenge gym leaders in any order?)
  • Two of the gym leaders, if we can in fact challenge gym leaders in any order
  • The field ability mechanic (Ride Pokemon, etc.)
  • New Pokedex features, if there are any
  • New online gadget

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
SWSH reveals not only started pretty late, they was also very scarce - which in my opinion was a terrible move.
GF pretty much threw the d-bomb (for "dexit") on us and let the negativity fester among the fanbase. Had they tried to exert some control and constantly keep us hyped and hooked, the overall feeling in the fanbase wouldn't be so negative as it was back then... but they basically just took a major step back and tried to be as absent as possible, while the negative reaction caused by the dexit contaminated everything.
It also doesn't help that I instantly relate the lack of news to them not being confident on their content. Almost as if they knew the games were bad, so they least they reveal the better.
Compare it to the SM reveal months where they kept throwing so much stuff on us the hype was undying and it really felt like they were proud of the game they produced and knew the more they showed, the more people would like it.

I am mildly optimistic for SV in this regard. I want to believe the fact they are mostly reusing SWSH assets mean this time they can focus on actually filling the region with life and improving it and making it fun (to use the buzzword this fanbase loves, "SOUL").
So I really hope the possible improvement will mean GF feeling proud of the new games and that will translate into a busy reveal season once it starts.

But of course, SWSH still sold like crazy, so maybe GF will just do it again...

The Head Honchkrow

Well hopefully their marketing strategy will be more like the one in SM where the trailers were exciting and revealed many things.
The trailers for Swsh was MEHH..... barely revealed anything and was VERY repetitive
Have to disagree there; even though Sw/Sh was a dud for me overall, one of the few highlights was playing through the game and having little to no clue what new Pokémon were in the grass.
Furthermore, the marketing itself was alot more interesting than what had been done prior, like Rotom glitching the Sirfetch'd image, and the Glimwood Tangle stream.
Granted, that latter idea was probably not the best given how little it revealed, but I give credit for the effort.