• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

falconlord

I am so not feeling these teeny tiny pokemon. Why are they constantly making the 'mons so small? Milcery was bad enough. I'm afraid the evolved forms of Lechonk and Smoliv will end up being small, just like Alcreamie and Drednaw.

Smaller Pokémon fit onto a screen easier without as many scaling issues.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Smaller Pokémon fit onto a screen easier without as many scaling issues.

I ain't got time for that. The only small 'mon I need is Mimikyu.

The rest better be Big Pimpin'.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I actually noticed Fuecoco’s tuft was glowing, unlike in the Sugimori art. I think that might be what powers its Fire-type moves.

We already know about Fuecoco's tuft from the website.

External heat is absorbed by the square scales on Fuecoco’s stomach and back, then converted into fire energy. These scales are always warm, and at times they can also grow very hot.

Flickering atop Fuecoco’s head is fire energy that is leaking out from inside the Pokémon’s body. When Fuecoco gets excited, its head spouts more flames.

So no, it's not quite what powers its Fire type moves, but it is giving off fire energy.

aerial_ace

I watched the trailer few times and I still think it was super underwhelming. Maybe because i watched the swsh trailer from few years back which was the most hyped trailer ever made i was expecting something similar but felt nothing. I don't know what it is but i am not feeling these games yet and normally i am very excited for new gen. I like the legends and professors design is nice but apart from that i am not digging the art style. Our rival looks so generic if she was an npc i wouldn't even notice. The 3 new pokemon were once again a little bit underwhelming (i know it is early stages and these are probably early routes mons). It's nice there seems to be an improved co-op and games are fully open world. I have a feeling the format of these games will be completely different than what we are used to as I can't see how the usual collect 8 badges would work if we can challenge them in any order we like. The best part of this trailer was honestly seeing spigattito in game and how cute it is. Reading its dex description on the official website made me fall in love with this little cat even more. Please game freak don't screw this one up because i will riot

Luxeon

Basically the game would look all rustic, traditional, and old-fashioned in Scarlet and sleek, modern, and futuristic in Violet.
Oh yeah...I can imagine it being kind of like Sun and Moon with the day and night except Scarlet takes place in the pre-technological past and Violet takes place in the post-technological future and there'll be a time travel mechanic to go between the two (but the default one will be based on which version you have)

And the past and future versions of the region could have different names, maybe.

That brings up something I only realized while looking at some of the artwork on the main site... I actually think the in-game models look better for once. I don't know why or how that is, but it's curious. I think I noticed it more with the box-art legends... and maybe even the professors.

I'm probably in the minority on this, but oh well.
I've seen some criticism of the SV models but I do personally think they look really nice too. I'm not sure how to explain it but it seems like they're trying to make the models more 3D-looking than in SwSh which, as people have pointed out, feels more anime-like or flat.

Ultimately it's just a matter of preference which one prefers but I'm liking the new direction.

Ultra Beast Lover

I actually noticed Fuecoco’s tuft was glowing, unlike in the Sugimori art. I think that might be what powers its Fire-type moves.
According to the website that's its fire leaking out, when Fuecoco gets excited there are supposed to be more tufts.

Basically the game would look all rustic, traditional, and old-fashioned in Scarlet and sleek, modern, and futuristic in Violet.
GameFreak has also already tried that in Opelucid City between Black/2 and White/2

So it is not too Farfetch'd that they would do this

Johtoo

I know it's kind of an unpopular take but LGPE are still the best looking Pokemon games on Switch and I'd take that kind of graphics over what we're getting in gen 9

Ultra Beast Lover

Another thing I like about the open world aspect is that it makes the adventure even more personalized. You want a Pokemon that would normally only appear late game? It'll be a long trek but you can totally get it early in your adventure. You want to go classic and stick with the gym that's closest to you? Go for it. Personally, I'm going to start by figuring out where my desired Pokemon are then I'll make the journey to wherever they are and catch them. I'll obviously need to beat gyms along the way because I'm sure that, in order to keep things from being broken, they'll make it so you have to beat a certain number of gyms before a Pokemon you caught at a certain level will obey you. Otherwise people would just build their team first then do the gym challenge. Of course, that in and of itself could be a fun challenge, build your team from the start then do the challenge with a bunch of Pokemon who won't listen to you.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
GameFreak has also already tried that in Opelucid City between Black/2 and White/2

So it is not too Farfetch'd that they would do this
I think there's a bit of a difference between having one single city in a 2D sprite-based 256x192 resolution game having a different design and having the entire game in a 3D-modeled 1280x720-res game having a different design. You'd basically need the graphics team to design two entire games in the same period of time you'd usually spend on one.

I could definitely see there being some differences between the two, but I think expecting the whole game to look either rustic or futuristic depending on the version is a bit... well, a lot of a stretch, and the same goes for version exclusive regions.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I definitely think the starters will have the three secondary types of water/fighting, fire/ghost, and grass/fairy.

Quack's entry talks about liking to kick
Fuecoco's talks about absorbing heat from external sources and it seems like a ghost thing to me with it's big appetite too
Spriggy's talks about being jealous and making those aromas. It reminds me of meganium but more fairy-ness to it

scififan21

I just hope we get a decent sized Pokedex to go with a large open world. I mean Arceus managed a good size number of Pokemon and this is an even bigger release then that so a Pokemon of 500-600 would be ideal anything that doesn't feel like half of the Pokemon are missing. I didn't buy Sword until the DLC/Update was announced because I found the regional dex too small for the amount of money a Switch game costs over 3DS games where I could have all my Pokemon.

Luthor

I definitely think the starters will have the three secondary types of water/fighting, fire/ghost, and grass/fairy.

Fuecoco's talks about absorbing heat from external sources and it seems like a ghost thing to me with it's big appetite too
Spriggy's talks about being jealous and making those aromas. It reminds me of meganium but more fairy-ness to it

Its quite possible typings with those descriptions. Though the jealous bit of Sprigatito's description makes me think it might evolve into a Dark type.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Its quite possible typings with those descriptions. Though the jealous bit of Sprigatito's description makes me think it might evolve into a Dark type.
Maybe they will be the first starters with branched evolutions.

Master Pikachu 11

It’s rumored to be grass/dark

scififan21

I doubt we would ever get branched evolution starters. Now evolution forms for starters now is a clear possibility as Legends Arceus has set that possibility up. Now obvious it will not happen for literally brand new Pokemon as we don't even know their evolutions yet. XD I was one of those people that hoped for split evos with Sun/Moon I hated Incineroars design, granted it grew on me because I love Litten and Torracat, but still not my favorite.