• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

desdar300

Idk.. SV look so empty and plain to me.
I guess I will need to wait and see when more info come
Pokemon Masters is more existing for me than this.. hehe
This is more or less the proper introduction to the game so they're not going to put all the cards on the table to tbf.

We're probably going to have to wait until August for them to detail more about the gimmick and how the multiplayer aspect works but given the Chinese leaks a lot of stuff sounds very promising

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I'm going to be brutally honest.

While I am curious about how this open world thing will be handled, I'm also very concerned about game balance. Like how do we know we're making progress? How will things adjust to your level and so on.

I just hope things don't get too complicated. Hopefully more later reveals on how things work will ease my mind.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles

While I am curious about how this open world thing will be handled, I'm also very concerned about game balance. Like how do we know we're making progress? How will things adjust to your level and so on.

I just hope things don't get too complicated. Hopefully more later reveals on how things work will ease my mind.
Most likely as always, badges.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty

Probably by the number of badges you have. Not sure about wild Pokemon, perhaps the "obtained level" serves as the obedience limit (similar to Legends: Arceus) so players can't just bulldoze with high level Pokemon they caught themselves (if level scaling does not apply to wild Pokemon).

TheLink

Eunie is as Eunie does.
Now that the initial hype of the new trailer has died down, I do have more thoughts:

While I agree that Pokémon needed a change, I kind of hate the surge in open-world games since BotW’s release (despite loving that game). This is more from gaming as a whole rather than exclusively Pokémon but it seems like *every* game tries to emulate BoTW and it’s starting to get tiring.

It’s the least excited I’ve been for a new generation in a long while. That said I am looking forward to these. Am a little worried about story/gameplay balance though. I realize that SwSh didn’t have much of a story despite using the old structure but my worry persists.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Something that just occurred to me, I remember that years ago fans were begging Game Freak for a Pokemon MMO (oddly demand for that seemed to have cooled off, not sure why). And now that this game is confirmed to have co-op, this game... sort of is that. It's not quite an MMO because it doesn't really have the massive multiplayer it's just 4 players but I think this is close to what those people envisioned you can connect with friends and go out on an adventure. This game is really checking off multiple boxes on people's wishlist when it comes to the direction they wanted Pokemon to go.

Noy

Imagine if they added quests, like they did for LA; those people would lose their Sh@#.

That being said I suspect they don't plan on doing an MMO, due to resource constraints. They barely have enough to do two games in parallel, (hence outsourcing the DP remake.) After all, unlike various 3rd party games such as Masters, people would want the MMO to be compatible with the mainline games' Pokémon (I think GO and BDSP are the only 3rd party compatible games.) While it would be cool and, a great way to get people to shut up about Nat Dex; I can only imagine how much time and effort to make a decent Pokémon MMO would be (one that you'd expect from a major publisher, as opposed to a 3rd party or indie group.)

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Something that just occurred to me, I remember that years ago fans were begging Game Freak for a Pokemon MMO (oddly demand for that seemed to have cooled off, not sure why). And now that this game is confirmed to have co-op, this game... sort of is that. It's not quite an MMO because it doesn't really have the massive multiplayer it's just 4 players but I think this is close to what those people envisioned you can connect with friends and go out on an adventure. This game is really checking off multiple boxes on people's wishlist when it comes to the direction they wanted Pokemon to go.

There are certain 3rd party Pokemon MMOs that it's probably against the rules for me to name that came out in that timeframe. I think a lot of players (myself being one of them) played them and realized they kind of suck, and a Pokemon MMO might not be as amazing as we think it would be.

Plus, MMORPGs as a genre have been in decline for a long time now. Even the biggest MMOs like World of Warcraft have a fraction of the playerbase and bring in a fraction of the revenue of the latest fad games like Warzone, Fortnite, Roblox, etc.

Regardless, actual interactive multiplayer is pretty huge for a Pokemon game, even if I wouldn't qualify it as an MMO. I'm curious to see exactly how the mechanic works; the way it was worded in the trailer seems to imply that there will only be certain areas that are explorable with others.

Baggie_Saiyan

I would love a ton of sidequests. I like the wisp collecting aspect too. Imagine if we were asked to find 300 Joltik.
Oh absolutely the Zygarde Cells, Totem Stickers, Alolan Diglett and then the wisps. I do like that aspect they've added.

I imagine it would be like PLA where we have missions or goals (and side quests) and then gym challenge being it's own thing. So I wonder if one can do all 8 gyms and then go back and do all the story stuff since they said you aren't dictated by story

Basically if you can chose when to do the story stuff

Orphalesion

There are certain 3rd party Pokemon MMOs that it's probably against the rules for me to name that came out in that timeframe. I think a lot of players (myself being one of them) played them and realized they kind of suck, and a Pokemon MMO might not be as amazing as we think it would be.
Plus Temtem has entered early access a while ago and probably might have satisfied the need for a Pokemon-like monster collecting MMO.

(though from what I've seen on the screenshots, it looks like it has the same problems as those inofficial Pokemon MMOs, then again I've never been a fan of any kind of MMO, so...)

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I would love a ton of sidequests. I like the wisp collecting aspect too. Imagine if we were asked to find 300 Joltik.

Those are slowly becoming a series staple, we've had something similar in multiple games. There was Zygarde Cells in SM, Totem Stickers in USUM, Alolan Digletts in IoA, and then the Wisps in LA. I wouldn't be surprised if we had another collectible in this game. Not sure it'd be Joltik specifically because it's not really a marketable enough Pokemon for them to do that for (although I would love that, Galvantula is one of my favorite Pokemon), but I think it's highly likely we get something like that.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Those are slowly becoming a series staple, we've had something similar in multiple games. There was Zygarde Cells in SM, Totem Stickers in USUM, Alolan Digletts in IoA, and then the Wisps in LA. I wouldn't be surprised if we had another collectible in this game. Not sure it'd be Joltik specifically because it's not really a marketable enough Pokemon for them to do that for (although I would love that, Galvantula is one of my favorite Pokemon), but I think it's highly likely we get something like that.
I used Joltik as an example because Pokemon seem to be scaled properly on the overworld, and like Flabebe, Joltik is very tiny and hard to spot.

Sham

The Guardian of War
This has probably been mentioned plenty but please turn the baked exp share off or at the very least compensate like XY. Additionally if the “affection abilities* are gonna stay then at least make affection harder achieving (separate from evolution)

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I believe that even the version exclusive Pokemon would follow the past and future theme, with Scarlet's exclusives being themed after the past, with a lot of them either being ancient culture themed (like the Baltoy and Golett lines) or being based on extinct animals (like Lapras and the Doduo line) while Violet's exclusives would be themed after the future, with a lot of futuristic/technological Pokemon being exclusive to this game (like the Magnemite, Voltorb, Klink, and Grimer lines).

Bus

Having to find 300 Joltik scattered all over the map… Oh god.
So long as the reward for that is worth it, I'm down. If it leads to finding a Legendary Spider pokemon (Dark/Bug please?) I'd say that's a decent Post-game quest.

falconlord

This has probably been mentioned plenty but please turn the baked exp share off or at the very least compensate like XY. Additionally if the “affection abilities* are gonna stay then at least make affection harder achieving (separate from evolution)

I've never understood this reaction to the EXP Share, honestly.

Grinding is tedious as all hell. Grinding in Pokémon is worse. EXP Share drastically cuts down on the amount of grinding you have to do.

Why is this a bad thing again?

Bus

I've never understood this reaction to the EXP Share, honestly.

Grinding is tedious as all hell. Grinding in Pokémon is worse. EXP Share drastically cuts down on the amount of grinding you have to do.

Why is this a bad thing again?
I mean, this IS an RPG and grinding is one of the core aspects to RPGs. Its just that over time, RPGs (and their mechanics) started to become a lot more common and merge with other games. Making it simpler with ways to reduce the grind and make it focus less on the RPG aspect and more on the catching/collecting & battling aspect is what they ended up doing with more recent generations and those who still liked the grind had to give up on that aspect since we're kinda in the minority on this lol.

falconlord

I mean, this IS an RPG and grinding is one of the core aspects to RPGs. Its just that over time, RPGs (and their mechanics) started to become a lot more common and merge with other games. Making it simpler with ways to reduce the grind and make it focus less on the RPG aspect and more on the catching/collecting & battling aspect is what they ended up doing with more recent generations and those who still liked the grind had to give up on that aspect since we're kinda in the minority on this lol.

I say this as a long time JRPG fan:

Grinding is the worst part of any RPG and getting rid of it makes RPGs more fun and enjoyable.

Death to the grind!