• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

falconlord

Okay, so we got both more and less than I expected.

On the one hand, we only got Paldean Wooper and Fidough(!) as new Pokémon. Oh, and Ceititan. On the other hand, we got confirmation of three story routes (which I admit I thought was total bullshit), confirmation of being a student at school, confirmation of the crystallization mechanic (which I am never going to be able to spell), a very brief overview of multiplayer mechanics, confirmation of returning Raid battles (...dammit) and...

Our Legendaries are indeed our bicycles. Which is weird. Oh, mechanically they won't be that different from previous bikes and Ride Pokémon, beyond the fact that they're combining the two. But riding around as Legendaries is... weird.

Other than that, not much has changed. Battle system looks to be much the same. Gyms can be completed in any order but that appears to be the only change.

Ultra Beast Lover

There's a Sunflora town

Orphalesion

Hahahaha the "hats" the Pokemon get during Terrastelize look like headdresses from those Brazilian carnival parades.
Well, at least it appears to be a non-intrusive gimmick.

And *finally* we have confirmation that the region is named Paldea. It's a pretty name.

And awww I really like Fidough, it's so cute!

falconlord

The region is pretty circular, based on the map.

Which isn't a surprise for an open-world game.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
Now this was a trailer done right. Obviously on the Chat the reception was overly negative, but that's 4chan mentality spreading over every time of "nerd" interaction online (that is, you get a kick of hating so you try to have the worst possible reaction to anything you supposedly like).

Not many pokémon introduced, not a single bug-type specifically, but overall amazing trailer. Donphan is in (my #1 pick for returning pokémon) and everything seemed really exticing.

Copley Hill Gym

So the map, and the use of Koraidon and Miraidon look cool, but the forms they change into look very awkward. Like ultra awkward. They've been designed around the "use as a motorbike" gimmick which replaces ride Pokémon, and I am note 100% sure it looks that good. But who knows? Maybe this will work very well.

The bike leak was spot on, as was the "type changing" gimmick, which it turns out can be applied to all Pokémon in the game, though some which are "rare" may be able to type change through the use of the crystal gimmick.

Three new Pokémon shown, a dog/bread Pokémon Fidough, a snow rhino/titan/something called Cetitan and the poison/ground Wooper variant which was leaked. Still no sign of past/future Pokémon as reported in the leaks, though this whole Pokémon presents does confirm several parts of the leaks. I thought I spotted a third brand new Pokemon in the background somewhere but I am not 100% certain...

The graphics were not a great look, I have to be honest. PLA looks better in some aspects of this game, by virtue of its more stylised artwork.

Some more returning Pokémon - including Dragonite - brilliant. Lovely to see him make a proper return. Amongst others. Normal Arcanine was spotted, no idea if Hisuian Arcanine will make an appearance.

Gyms being done in any order is only going to be good if they scale the levels of the Pokémon, and the teams, and if that doesn't happen...I am sceptical it will be received well.

The treasure hunt is currently just an announcement with no details. Wait and see what comes of it.

I'm honestly a bit underwhelmed, we still don't seem to have some of the bigger specific issues clarified (though I feel that they are confirming that PLA catching mechanics are not returning in this game, which is a real step back in my view. I accept that's a subjective view but it feels like a QoL upgrade has been lost.

The name of the region, Paldea - lovely. The overall feel of the region also looks good. The map looks really cool. I am looking forward to exploring it.

Overall - a lot of hype for a really small amount of information that edges us closer to the release date.

johno1995

I wasn't sold on the legends before but their quadrupedal forms are way better and now I'm having a tough time figuring out which game I want to play first! I haven't heard much discussion on Cetitan, but I really like it...I like the ambiguous-monster designs that seem to be rarer in the newer gens, and to find out it's based on a whale that can walk on land is really cool and unique. Fidough is super cute (I hope it evolves into PUREBREAD--LOL), and the new Wooper form makes me excited to see its evolution and I love the Poison/Ground typing.

Raid battles returning and this new Terrastelize feature is very intriguing. Good trailer. I'm very very excited!!

Noy

wait so, the type change was legit, not just a power boost? just you have very little say, since it's a single type choice, set in place, like a Pokémon's nature.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
COOLIO GAMERS

1. half of my username is in this regional gimmick

2. WE GET THE THREE ROUTES THING HECK YES

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
It looks like Paldea might fit up next to Kalos.
geography, indeed

but this game won’t have any Kalos postgame or anything

johno1995

So the leaks are all totally correct at this point.

Here's the map btw.

FZPS2m0XoAwpkTw
Thanks for sharing the map!! Love the design of the region and the intriguing mountain in the dead center.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
The new take on Raids look so much better than SwSh’s. I actively loathed doing those.

Still not a fan of most of the character designs. The new Pokémon revealed in this trailer grab my interest far more than the ones revealed in the last trailer

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
geography, indeed

but this game won’t have any Kalos postgame or anything
I know. And I’m not expecting it to.

It’s just nice to see the geography possibly line up.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
My god that was awesome.

The region feels now A LOT more lively, the teracrystalization feels more balanced and fun than the previous three gimmicks, raid battles are back, multiplayer stuff was good etc. Graphic was still not that good but more vibrant and colourful.

Plus the stuff from the leaks....I am seriously excited because now it feels like Legends Arceus and SwSh were plain beta games.

Maybe we could actually get good games...unbelievable right?

Last edited: