• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

Ultra Beast Lover

So Terrastel energy is like gas, you gotta refill it after a few uses.

Even if the Kirby hats are kinda silly, I prefer this to Dynamax.

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
Customization looks like it won't be as bad as I originally thought. Although the school aesthetic is still expected to result in a much more restrictive customization experience, they are least get credit for seemingly making an effort to mix in some freedom (freedom and personalization is like the crux of Customization 101; it's the whole freaking point of having customization).

That said though, it's still overall going to be a big step back from SwSh customization. For starters, jewelry and expanded makeup options still are not present apparently. There is zero chance that I would say that SV customization could be an improvement over SwSh without these upgrades.

Phillies

Hmm so sandwiches must be this region's poke puffs. Makes sense, you can put anything between two slices of bread. The classical meat, fruit, veggies, even nutella. And it won't be as weird as last generation. Seriously, whipped cream in the curry?
As long as I get the option of putting a slice of bread between two slices of meat and veggies.

I think I would like the new gimmick better without the headpieces.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Customization looks like it won't be as bad as I originally thought. Although the school aesthetic is still expected to result in a much more restrictive customization experience, they are least get credit for seemingly making an effort to mix in some freedom (freedom and personalization is like the crux of Customization 101; it's the whole freaking point of having customization).

That said though, it's still overall going to be a big step back from SwSh customization. For starters, jewelry and expanded makeup options still are not present apparently. There is zero chance that I would say that SV customization could be an improvement over SwSh without these upgrades.
I do agree. It seems like the school is so central to the plot that it has impacted the trainer customization options. Very clear now that our character has to wear some sort of school uniform-like outfit. At least hair options look more diverse.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I really like how Paldean Wooper still has Water Absorb which will really come in handy to completely negate one of Ground’s biggest and most common weaknesses. I can see it getting a lot of use before it evolves. Grass Pokémon can’t take it out so easily now and the only Pokémon it will never be able to damage using any STAB moves are dual type Steel and Flying Pokémon.
I can easily see Palawan Quagsire being the main counter to the Tapus if they’re ever added back into the game through DLC

Lucky3

Terastal seems interesting as a game mechanic but the looks feel lazy and stupid. Probably hard to balance too.

I hope there's some type of gigantamax thing with special Pokemon/tera type combos that get actual extra forms instead of the hats. You know Charizard would get one with dragon type XD.

Charmander103

Fidough looks super cute.... but have any of you read it's description?!?!!?!?

This Pokémon Has a Moist, Smooth Feeling to It​

Its Breath Contains Useful Yeast​

... This pastry pup is literally uncooked dough :eek:

I will not be a fan unless they give it two evolutions!!!

Bread Stick doggo: exchange that moist feeling with a soft flaky crust and it's yeasty breath with a garlic herb butter breath. Only achievable if your pastry pup withstand 3 critical hits from a fire-type attack.
Burnt Toast doggo: extra extra crispy and charred past perfection. Only achievable if the pastry pup is knocked unconscious three times by a fire-type attack.

pokemon-fidough.webp

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
I still say only a fool buys a game without knowing anything about it.
It's a Pokémon game, a Main line Pokémon game, we all knew plenty about the game before we even knew what it was called.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
So the Car has the same pattern as the crossed flags with the star on it and we see bases with that as well.

Here's my thoughts:

Route 1: Travel and battle the gym leaders to make it to the Champion Rank

Route 2: Battle Races, be it held by the villains or another faction, compete in each arena to be the best in the region.

Route 3: Something purely Academic, like going to those buildings that have the ship logo on it or something to do with your school itself.

I believe the Treasure Hunt/Legendary Story to be over-arching all 3 of these

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
You know, the moment I saw Penny in that trailer I instantly felt the same fatherly way the male main character makes me feel, some kind of "this is a good kid. If anyone harm this kid, I will personally kill them". Am I getting to that age? Instead of relating to the characters I am relating to their parents????

Age is not an issue in enrollment here, so a wide range of age groups—from children to adults—take the same classes

Yeah... my kids wouldn't go to that school.

Ultra Beast Lover

I like the library and the cafeteria, the school even looks kinda lived in. The cafeteria has little Polteageist and I think Sinistea, possibly bringing drinks to the students. I hope we can eat in the cafeteria.

If one of the routes involves going to classes, I'll do that first. The school just looks too charming and dare I say elegant to not do first. I am a little bummed about the clothes admittedly but I'll look on the bright side. At least I can, presumably, change into the warmer uniform when I head northward.

Even if some modes look silly, I am a fan of getting to meet Miraidon/Koraidon early and having them be our ride Pokemon. In some games it made sense to not form a connection to certain legendaries, they're often forces of nature/existence. But, I like when the games let us bond with the Pokemon, even if only in minor ways. Also, Koraidon looked so cute when it was greeting the player. Like a lost puppy who found a new human and is just so excited to greet their new best friend.

You know, the moment I saw Penny in that trailer I instantly felt the same fatherly way the male main character makes me feel, some kind of "this is a good kid. If anyone harm this kid, I will personally kill them". Am I getting to that age? Instead of relating to the characters I am relating to their parents????

Yeah... my kids wouldn't go to that school.
We all get to that point sooner or later

Pretty excited for the new pokemon. Can't say I'm too excited about the Terrastal mechanic nor the raid battles (I never liked gen 8's raid battles either so I'm not excited to see it return). I do prefer it over Dynamax though, just turning big was always a stupid concept.

Pretty sure we'll have Terrastal formes though, just like Gigantamax formes, so I'm kinda excited about those.

Wooper is awesome and I can't wait to see the regional Quagsire or a regional evo for it.
Kinda wondering if Cetitan has any pre-evos or evos~

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I’m kind of surprised with how the new Terrastal mechanic works. It basically seems similar to how Hidden Power was used in the Gen 4-7 meta, only with a visual glow up & a STAB boost

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I’m really liking what I’m seeing!

I was not sold after that previous trailer, but this one made my feelings towards the game do a 180. I’m really liking the visuals, particularly the environments and human models. The textures and how they just move and emote look impressively nice, especially for Pokémon. The protags also look more “anime”, I’d like to think they corrected them a bit after the feedback from the first two trailers. Paldea looks beautiful and diverse; I’m liking that map already.

The school setting is fun and I’m very interested by the 3 separate stories bit. Here’s hoping the overall narrative is strong, especially after what SWSH turned out to be. The characters revealed look good for the most part (Penny excluded tbh). Grusha and Arven look the coolest to me so far, but I also liked that woman with black hair in the trailer. Fidough is adorable and I love it.

The gimmick is whatever. I like crystallization as a concept, but the type changes + reinforcements don’t seem that necessary. Though I don’t doubt this was mainly introduced for competitive. The past/future gimmick mentioned in leaks sounds a lot more interesting to me (and it presumably wouldn’t have those goofy hats)

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
I’m kind of surprised with how the new Terrastal mechanic works. It basically seems similar to how Hidden Power was used in the Gen 4-7 meta, only with a visual glow up & a STAB boost
https://scarletviolet.pokemon.com/en-us/news/terastal_phenomenon/

From what it says there it seems like:
- Tera form = one of the pokémon original types -> STAB boost
- Tera form =/= pokémon original types -> Pokémon type is fully changed for the duration of the fight.

I think it has the potential to be a great mechanic without being broken.

ShadowForce720

I really like how Paldean Wooper still has Water Absorb which will really come in handy to completely negate one of Ground’s biggest and most common weaknesses. I can see it getting a lot of use before it evolves. Grass Pokémon can’t take it out so easily now and the only Pokémon it will never be able to damage using any STAB moves are dual type Steel and Flying Pokémon.
To be fair that might not even be a problem because depending on it’s move pool it’s might have access to becoming a Fire or Electric type through the new gimmick.