• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
I wonder if these Pokemon will get a proper category/naming, aka a name for Pokemon that resemble other ones but are actually entirely different species.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I see we're three for three on Game Freak's go-to strategy to making old Pokemon (well, not really in this case) interesting is "make 'em long".

Sarefan

Hylden General.
Wiglett is not the worst, nor the best. It's just one of the many Pokémon that's going to be flooded by the rest.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Hmmm, don't like wiglett but the convergent evolution thing is okay. Diglett is the most boring pokemon basically so wiglett just looks unoriginal and boring. They could have taken a more interesting pokemon and did this. But I cannot get over that its basically a paldean diglett in my eyes, even if it isnt "technically" according to whoever made it. This is Pokemon, not real life.

Orphalesion

Well "Wigglet" looks like crap, and like something quite unappetising.

They should have just made the ugly thing a regional form instead of just having this random thing that looks like a Kanto Pokemon.
In addition to that, Diglett is one of my least favourite designs in general, like bottom 3.

Akashin

Hmmm, don't like wiglett but the convergent evolution thing is okay. Diglett is the most boring pokemon basically so wiglett just looks unoriginal and boring. They could have taken a more interesting pokemon and did this. But I cannot get over that its basically a paldean diglett in my eyes, even if it isnt "technically" according to whoever made it. This is Pokemon, not real life.
I initially thought so too, but no Regional Form has changed species, so to call Wiglett a Regional Form isn’t quite accurate either.

That being said, Wiglett’s situation is quite similar to how the Galarian Birds are described. But they didn’t feel quite like Regional Forms to me either, so…

Anyway, I’m fine with Wiglett. I do hope they do something more interesting with its evolution than making a Wugtrio; Wiglett’s design kinda makes me want to see an evolution more akin to Eelektross.

lolipiece

Staff member
I wonder if these Pokemon will get a proper category/naming, aka a name for Pokemon that resemble other ones but are actually entirely different species.
I feel like if it was more than a one-off thing, they would've advertised it as such. But I guess we'll have to wait for the proper trailer.

LordSerperior

Not a fan of Wiglett, would've liked if it looked a little more distinct to not look like a regional variant. I get the reasoning they were going for with the appearance being similar but not being related phylogenetically or even in terms of behaviour but the Galar birds were classified as regional variants despite also not being related to the Kanto ones (or at least not a known connection). Outside of lore and consistency issues, I don't really care too much as I think of regional variants as new Pokemon anyway.

I don't know if the Japanese name tries to be a bit more clever but Wiglett has to be one of the worst Pokemon name ever.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Not a fan of Wiglett, would've liked if it looked a little more distinct to not look like a regional variant. I get the reasoning they were going for with the appearance being similar but not being related phylogenetically or even in terms of behaviour but the Galar birds were classified as regional variants despite also not being related to the Kanto ones (or at least not a known connection). Outside of lore and consistency issues, I don't really care too much as I think of regional variants as new Pokemon anyway.

I don't know if the Japanese name tries to be a bit more clever but Wiglett has to be one of the worst Pokemon name ever.
Japanese name is pretty much Sea Diglett when translated.

Also good visual reference for those wondering.

how3p8ay7nq91.jpg

LordSerperior

Japanese name is pretty much Sea Diglett when translated.

Also good visual reference for those wondering.

how3p8ay7nq91.jpg
Okay not that clever but I actually find Sea Diglett (at least feels like a reference to real life naming conventions of species' common names) a much better name than Wiglett which feels entirely meaningless.

I am an ecologist, I understand what convergent evolution is and what they're trying to do but I don't think the execution of it works here, nor is it consistent with what they've established and is also just unnecessary. Like I said, we have an example of unrelated Pokemon (legendary birds) that are still treated as regional variants of each other, they don't explain why this is different.

I would have preferred if Wiglett didn't have the nose and actually looked somewhat more eel-like. It would still have been an evolution of convergent behaviours (poking heads out of the ground) that probably serve a similar evolutionary function without it being as on the nose.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
While convergent evolution is a thing, it does not really work well when applied to Wiglett which is basically Diglett but "white and longer". Maybe the design could do with being more eel-like, hopefully its evolution is not just a copy of Dugtrio consisting of just of trio of Wiglett.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Regional variants are divergent evolutions. But if a regional variant evolves into a completely different Pokemon (such as Perrserker, Cursola, Mr. Rime, etc), is it now considered convergent?

Ecology is nice.

LordSerperior

Regional variants are divergent evolutions. But if a regional variant evolves into a completely different Pokemon (such as Perrserker, Cursola, Mr. Rime, etc), is it now considered convergent?

Ecology is nice.
That's a continuation of the divergent evolution with the species diverging further from the ancestral morphology. Starting with the same/related ancestor but evolving into something completely different.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
That's a continuation of the divergent evolution with the species diverging further from the ancestral morphology. Starting with the same/related ancestor but evolving into something completely different.
Thanks. I just love how Wiglett let me learn something new.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I like Wiglett and think it is an interesting Pokémon. I don’t mind that it looks identical to Diglett as there are several species of animals that look very similar to another. Mimicry of other species is pretty common among moths and butterflies and even some snakes.

lolipiece

Staff member
Wiglett's now been officially revealed. It's pure Water.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Wiglett's now been officially revealed. It's pure Water.

• Category--Garden Eel Pokémon
  • Type--Water
  • Height--3'11"
  • Weight--4 lbs.
  • Ability--Gooey/Rattled

"It’s said that Wiglett’s resemblance to Diglett might be a mere coincidence—a result of its adaptation to its environment."

"It may look like Diglett, but it’s actually a completely different species of Pokémon. Wiglett pokes a part of its body out of the sand to feed in the ocean. It’s still unclear what the rest of its body hidden in the sand is like or how long it might be"