• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

Yveltal91057

It’s Kalos season!
How are you going to play these games?
1. What paths are you going to take first?
2. Are you going to do all 3 alternately?
3. Are you going to explore all places and cities first and only then begin the paths? Or each city at a time?
4. Are you going to traverse using the recommended order or make ur own?
Exploring and shiny hunting comes first!

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Hi, a general question - is anyone going to play the games on V1 or v2 Switch and not on the OLED or the SV OLED ones?

I'm playing on my old Switch. Hoping to save up for a new one in the future, just in case tho.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Hi, a general question - is anyone going to play the games on V1 or v2 Switch and not on the OLED or the SV OLED ones?
I’m mostly playing on my V1 Switch, but I may transfer one of my games to my Switch whenever I want to interact with both my games

treatyofversigh

3. Are you going to explore all places and cities first and only then begin the paths? Or each city at a time?
1-2. I think I'm gonna prioritize the gyms and do the others as I encounter them. Since they're all spread out, that seems like the easiest way to do it, I think.
3. In open world games more like this, I usually focus on a section of the map at a time. So like, I'll try to find everything I can in the beginning area, then once I've got it all done (or as done as I can before unlocking a new subsection or Koraidon/Miraidon travel ability or something), I'll move on to the next.
4. I'll probably make my own path. I'll definitely look up the gym leader teams and whatnot when I get closer to the next area, but for my first time through the game, I'm just gonna run around and do whatever I want. I'm excited!

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member

I'll play all through all of them simultaneously based on the level curve. See below (Spoilers):
Bug Gym (Lv15)
Rock Titan (Lv16)
Grass Gym (Lv17)
Flying Titan (Lv19)
Dark Star (Lv21)
Electric Gym (Lv24)
Fire Star (Lv27)
Steel Titan (Lv28)
Water Gym (Lv30)
Poison Star (Lv33)
Normal Gym (Lv36)
Ghost Gym (Lv42)
Ground Titan (Lv44)
Psychic Gym (Lv45)
Ice Gym (Lv48)
Fairy Star (Lv51)
Dragon Titan (Lv55)
Fighting Star (Lv56)
Pokemon League

I always explore every nook and cranny for items, battle every trainer, do every available sidequests, and catch every Pokemon available in each area before moving on.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
1. Toss up between Gym and Titans but likely the Gym path.
2. Likely as I come across them.
3. Probably explore each area as I come across them.
4. Depends on where the Pokemon I want on my team can be found.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I’ve decided to name my Violet Trainer Willow after RuPaul’s Drag Race season 14 winner Willow Pill. Figured I should drop the last name as I’m pretty sure it’s a banned word since pills could be misinterpreted to mean illegal drugs.

Manbis

I just hope the new pokemons dont have super weird evolution methods.... shield and legends did go crazy with some of them.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I think that G. Yamask's evolution method will be changed to it needing to be leveled up while knowing the move Curse.

ShinyNoob

Looks like there are a lot of good poke designs - tempted to go through a few play throughs. Those that have the game (no spoilers) but do you think there is enough of a case to use three teams (one for each story) or is it better to have a new game on a diff account and use that?

Pokemon Power

Looks like there are a lot of good poke designs - tempted to go through a few play throughs. Those that have the game (no spoilers) but do you think there is enough of a case to use three teams (one for each story) or is it better to have a new game on a diff account and use that?
From what I've seen in the leaks, I suggest keeping your starter at all times.

ShinyNoob

Starter at all times, interesting, is that because they have a special move or unlock access or that they are just that good?

I've seen the new pokes but not anything storywise. I usually do a fire, water, grass trio in my teams. I think there are a few pokes that can cover that role but if you need the starter for story reasons then might have to rethink

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Reviews for the game should be out Thursday morning in the US. Any expected Metacritic scores? Do reviews affect you?

The highest is 88 for XY. Followed by 87 for HGSS, BW, and SM. DP is 85. USUM & Legends are 84.

Dared3v0

Just have fun
Reviews for the game should be out Thursday morning in the US. Any expected Metacritic scores? Do reviews affect you?

The highest is 88 for XY. Followed by 87 for HGSS, BW, and SM. DP is 85. USUM & Legends are 84.
I could see this game getting an 87.HGSS is an almost perfect pokemon game and I feel like SV might have enough content to match that

Professional reviews can affect me if the embargo is lifted a while before the games are out/before regular people get their hands on the game. In those scenarios, they're the only way you can get some information on how the game actually plays. With SV there are already so many people with the game that I already have a pretty good idea if I will like it or not so I don't see any reason to read any reviews later.
I don't care for Metacritic scores. In my opinion, they just indicate if a game has a wide appeal and not if it will appeal to me. I think it makes little sense to just boil your experience down to a number, much less a collective number for everyone's experience.

CiciStormy

Living Rotomdex
For my pre-ordered copy of Scarlet(which I bought on the E-shop), I am going to start off with the Path of Legends for the first two Titans, then do alternate gyms and Starfall Street for three gyms and two bases, then do the next Titan, another two gyms, and finish off the Path of Legends before finishing off the gyms and Team Star bases to invoke the endgame.

For Violet(which I don't think I will get right now - I actually pre-ordered the double pack on GameStop but it seems they canceled my order - I am going to do the reverse, focusing on Team Star over the Titans, but I will do all of them eventually. If the Titans enable movement options for the Don, I want to see if I will be 'blocked' from doing gyms or bases because I didn't defeat a Titan. :)

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
On the subject of hardware, I’ll be playing first on a Switch Lite. I expect that like other Pokémon games, it’ll benefit from the smaller screen being sharper at the same resolution, visually, and Pokémon as a series is so inextricably tied to the handheld experience for me that I think it’ll just be more comfortable. I also have a secondary full Switch for when I feel like it need it, but I’ve been replaying Legends on my Lite and it’s been a great experience. Lots of nostalgia packed into that little handheld form factor.