• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

Acer11

Zigzagoon is a raccoon. And I think Altaira is supposed to be based on a bird in a cumulus cloud. The Grimer line is technically slime as that is what sludge is and they can be green.
There’s also the crane that still needs to be done (which is really odd that it hasn’t become a Pokémon yet considering what an important symbol it is in Japanese culture).

Funny, I put watermelon on there since one pastime game in Japan is watermelon splitting on the beach.

Copley Hill Gym

I have a really dark theory about the games ending.

The notebooks scattered through area zero and the scarlet/violet books suggest the third legendary, or the one responsible for terastalising, is made up of hexagonal crystal structures arranged into an egg shape of sorts.

The Time Machine is a crystalline structure made up of millions of triangular sections, which form hexagonal structures if you look carefully, throughout. It is also clearly egg shaped inside.

What if the Time Machine was actually made from the carcass of the third legendary…

…and the reason for the increasingly aggressive and powerful Pokémon being sent through it was the third legendary Pokémon itself trying to stop the Professor from carrying out their experimentations on it?

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
Would be cool if Team Star’s vehicles could be use to battle and drive around Paldea.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
I really love the Paldean region, its fun to explore and has a great environmental aesthetic. Think my favourite place is the autumn woods in the northwest and tagtree forest.

Honestly I hope that when they do a Canadian reigon, they really emphasize on autumnal forests visually.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I finally managed to reach the end credits, win the Ace Academy Tournament, and unlocked 6-star Raids. I have to say that performance issues aside, this is the best Pokemon game I have ever played.
  • Every character is likeable. Clavell is not the character I expected him to be. Arven's storyline is amazing. Best Elite Four interaction in the entire franchise. All teachers are great. I love the development of Team Star. Geeta is still sus though.
  • I enjoyed the music, especially those done by Toby. Area Zero and the Final Boss theme is simply magnificent.
  • Speaking of the final boss, that was imo the best ending in any mainline Pokemon game ever. I had chills and actually felt sad.
  • I've also said it several times but, this is the very first gen I have kept shuffling between many Pokemon. Typically, I stick to just 6-8 and that's it. But this game made me switch between over 12 Pokemon during a single playthrough: all three starters, Flamigo, Garganacl, Bombirdier, Palafin, Baxcalibur, Toedscruel, Annihilape, Farigiraf, Glimmora, Revavroom, Kilowattrel, etc.
Now, it's time for post-game. I've saved the Ruinous 4 and avoided interacting with the stakes even though I've found many of them. I have yet to return to Area Zero. Before lastly finishing the Dex.

Excited for the DLC when they announce it next year.

On a different note, it's strange that they still haven't officially revealed some of the new Pokemon (such as the final evos of starters and Legendaries) and NPCs (remaining GLs and E4). They kept re-introducing the Pokemon and characters we've already seen in their socials.

Ryker101

Played more, beat Larry and another titan. Also explored the Glaseous mountain area a but and loving this section. Larry was also a fun character but kinda underwhelming, tho I had a steel and fighting type against him. I was surprised staraptor didn’t have close combat (or never used it against my Copperajah) but otherwise his mons were nit bad. Fuecoco’s final evo is great, really happy with my starter choice there since I knew nothing going in. I also enjoyed being in the Lake area where I was facing early 50’s with my mid 30’s lol, it’s fun when you’re under leveled like that imo. You get so much exp and battles are more intense

Overall enjoying the game now, the stories are fun to play through and moderately challenging for me

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
On a different note, it's strange that they still haven't officially revealed some of the new Pokemon (such as the final evos of starters and Legendaries) and NPCs (remaining GLs and E4). They kept re-introducing the Pokemon and characters we've already seen in their socials.
It took months after Sword and Shield's release for the official Game Freak reveals of the Galar starters' final forms. We're probably not going to see official stuff for Meowscarada, Skeledirge, and Quaquaval for at least a few weeks.

LordSerperior

Completed both the Path of Legends and Starfall stories. Arven is a standout character who you can't help but like more as the story progresses. While I don't care about Penny all that much, the team star bosses are some of the most memorable characters in terms of both design and personality. I would like to join Team Star if I can get access to some of the clothes they get to wear.

Clavell not being the big bad was nice and I ended up liking him a lot more than I thought I would.

The erasure of records by the school though is very questionable and I know its a kids game so it won't go there but I'd love to see there being backlash against the school in the region in the DLC. There was a complete faculty change in the not so distant past and it wasn't suspicious for anyone. I really wanna see more consequences for this.

Beat Tulip for my last gym leader but have yet to take on the league. I also really like how they've made the cities more unique, Alfornada in particular was a visual treat. I'm assuming its inspired by Muslim architecture in the Iberian peninsula. I just wish there was more to do in the cities and more reason to explore them.

My main team is Quaquaval, Espathra, Bombirdier, Clodsire, Flamigo and Kilowattrel. But also frequently rotating in Sqwakabilly, Grafaiai, Arboliva, Azumarril, Gogoat, Venomoth, Flareon and Umbreon. Despite this all my Pokemon are over 60 and my main team is very overlevelled.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Completed both the Path of Legends and Starfall stories. Arven is a standout character who you can't help but like more as the story progresses. While I don't care Beat Tulip for my last gym leader but have yet to take on the league. I also really like how they've made the cities more unique, Alfornada in particular was a visual treat. I'm assuming its inspired by Muslim architecture in the Iberian peninsula. I just wish there was more to do in the cities and more reason to explore them.
The town here are quite scenic and pretty, so I agree that there should've been more interaction with the townsfolk and their culture and stuff.

As for Alfornada, the architecture is Moorish. it was nice to see acknowledgement of influences in Arab culture in the Iberian Peninsula.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
It took months after Sword and Shield's release for the official Game Freak reveals of the Galar starters' final forms. We're probably not going to see official stuff for Meowscarada, Skeledirge, and Quaquaval for at least a few weeks.
The Galar starters' evolutions were offically revealed the same month the game came out alongside GMax Snorlax.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
While I don't care about Penny all that much, the team star bosses are some of the most memorable characters in terms of both design and personality. I would like to join Team Star if I can get access to some of the clothes they get to wear.
Completly agreed here.

Penny was very meh and generic for me.

Now the 5 bosses? All great characters in my book. My only issue is Giacomo looking a bit too old for a student almost leaning on something out of the "how you do fellow kids" meme. Other than that, they are much better than Penny and Nemona.

Eri was the first boss I legitimately lost. Normally, I'd reset for a perfect run but she offered such a hard time, I think she deserved that win. Granted, I was ill-prepared despite being high-level but point stands.

By the way, I'd suggest bringing Drifloom as it counters her Revavroom's stab and ground move, leaving only the steel type move which hits neutrally and has negative effects on the user

Trillion

took my time playing the game. just finished it this past sunday or monday. i love this game

this is the first ever new gen game where i went in completely blind, aside from officially revealed info. it's a blast discovering new pokemon in-game instead of looking them up on the internet

i also liked being able to run from trainer battles. i never liked how in previous gens you can battle someone with two pokemon with your whole team. in this game though, if i battled someone with two pokemon, i'd run from the battle if two of mine went down first. fun way to provide an extra challenge

only pokemon i had to look up were:
1) dolliv
2) rabsca
3) floragato
4) maushold
5) the scarlet paradox exclusives

LordSerperior

Completly agreed here.

Penny was very meh and generic for me.

Now the 5 bosses? All great characters in my book. My only issue is Giacomo looking a bit too old for a student almost leaning on something out of the "how you do fellow kids" meme. Other than that, they are much better than Penny and Nemona.

Eri was the first boss I legitimately lost. Normally, I'd reset for a perfect run but she offered such a hard time, I think she deserved that win. Granted, I was ill-prepared despite being high-level but point stands.

By the way, I'd suggest bringing Drifloom as it counters her Revavroom's stab and ground move, leaving only the steel type move which hits neutrally and has negative effects on the user
He doesn't look that old to me but age doesn't seem to be a factor for the school. Some of the other students you fight in the game are much much older than him.

I fought Eri after all the titans and 7 gyms, so I was overlevelled for her. Espathra made very quick work of her Revavroom.

Rune Knight

I'm not sure if someone has already pointed this out, but one thing that I noticed regarding the starters' final evolutions is that they are each seemingly based off of some kind of performer; with Meowscarada being a magician, Skeledirge being a singer, and Quaquaval being a dancer.

Last edited:

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Glad that crafting TMs in Scarlet/Violet is not as tedious as the grind for Rank 10 Gems in Xenoblade Chronicles 3, material requirements are not too steep and you don't have to contend with rarity tiers for the materials themselves. Only niggle is dealing with those from Pokemon with low appearance rates (e.g: Applin), Ditto does help to some degree however.

Last edited:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I'm not sure if someone has already pointed this out, but one thing that I noticed regarding the starters' final evolutions is that they are each seemingly based off of some kind of performer; with Meowscarada being a magician, Skeledirge being a singer, and Quaquaval being a dancer.
Yep, particularly that Meowscarada is based on the stage kind of magician, not the wizard kind of magician. The seemingly floating flower, for instance, is confirmed in the Pokédex to be an illusion, not any psychic powers or anything.

Glad that crafting TMs in Scarlet/Violet is not as tedious as the grind for Rank 10 Gems in Xeonblade Chronicles 3, material requirements are not too steep and you don't have to contend with rarity tiers for the materials themselves. Only niggle is dealing with those from Pokemon with low appearance rates (e.g: Applin), Ditto does help to some degree however.
The Tera Shards, however, are a real grind. But I expected as much.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Does anyone have a clue when we'll get official art for the rest of the Paldean mons and characters? I would've assumed that they would arrive by now.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
The SWSH and Legends Pokemon got theirs in late/mid February, respectively.