• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

Orphalesion

Yeah, a break from Euro themed regions for a while would be nice. Personally my picks for the Gen 10 region are California, Canada, Brazil, or Australia.

Since Gen 5 we have alternated between US states and European countries (though Paldea broke that "trend" with two European Countries in a row)
So I'd say it'd be time for a region that's based on neither a US state nor a European country. Canada, Brazil and Australia are too big for a single region, but they could base a region on one of the states/provinces of those countries (like for example B.C. or Queensland)
Also I think a region based on an East-Asian country would be kinda interesting. Maybe South Korea or Thailand. Or a state/province of India.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
My want for gen 10 would be Canada, I understand they wouldn't be able to do the entire country as much as I would hope, but possibly they could at least make the towns represent each province.

However, I'd also like to see Italy, Australia or South Korea.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Canada, Brazil and Australia are too big for a single region

Are they though? What standard are they using for what's too "big", the various regions have been inconsistently sized compared to their real world counterparts. I mean we have regions based on New York City and half of Hawaii that are the same size as entire countries! I don't think they go by size when it comes to deciding how much of a real world region to base the Pokemon regions on. I think they go by notoriety and culture. Do people know about the different cultures in these regions outside of its citizens? Or would an outsider not be able to tell one part of the country apart from another and just see it all as Canadian, Brazilian, or Australian? I could easily see them just doing one region for these countries and them just being about the same size as other regions despite the real world regions being much bigger.

Orphalesion

Are they though? What standard are they using for what's too "big", the various regions have been inconsistently sized compared to their real world counterparts. I mean we have regions based on New York City and half of Hawaii that are the same size as entire countries! I don't think they go by size when it comes to deciding how much of a real world region to base the Pokemon regions on. I think they go by notoriety and culture. Do people know about the different cultures in these regions outside of its citizens? Or would an outsider not be able to tell one part of the country apart from another and just see it all as Canadian, Brazilian, or Australian? I could easily see them just doing one region for these countries and them just being about the same size as other regions despite the real world regions being much bigger.
I just think it would be a bit of a disservice to reduce such huge countries to a single region. And if you look for example at Australia. The cultre might not be *that* different in many places (though there *are* variations), but the landscape is. The north is tropical, Tasmania meanwhile is pretty cold.

Luthor

Do you guys think we'll get some special announcement from that 1,008 Encounters video airing tomorrow? Like maybe the reveal of a new mythical?

It hard to be certain. My guess is not that big but I could see it doing something like confirming the S/V Pokemon's national dex number (assuming its still called that) , confirming the compatibility update for Pokemon home and possibly a hint of whatever will be number 1009 (but not a full reveal). It could be more and it could be less but than that too.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
Yeah, a break from Euro themed regions for a while would be nice. Personally my picks for the Gen 10 region are California, Canada, Brazil, or Australia.
If the evil team isn't a bunch of tweakers and the housing isn't $5000 a month I don't want it (I'm from California)

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I just think it would be a bit of a disservice to reduce such huge countries to a single region. And if you look for example at Australia. The cultre might not be *that* different in many places (though there *are* variations), but the landscape is. The north is tropical, Tasmania meanwhile is pretty cold.

At the end of the day, it's about marketing and popularity. They seem to be prioritizing locations that are heavily populated with Pokemon fans and are highly recognizable even to those that don't live there (which makes sense, they want to choose locations that their target audience would be interested in exploring Pokefied versions of). So the cultural issues matter much more than the environmental issues, if the players can't tell the cultures apart, the regions based on the different IRL regions of that country are going to feel very similar and repetitive. They can have one region with a diverse range of environments and represent those environments with different cities instead of different regions.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
So... they're officially commemorating all 1,008 Pokemon. 600+ which are not obtainable nor playable in the game right now. Feels a bit weird that they're doing this out of the blue and not on Pokemon Day.

Also kinda sucks that as you go by the list, you realize that some Pokemon like Blitzle have not been obtainable since Gen 6.

A part of me wishes a National Dex update for SV. But I'd say it has 0.01% chance of happening.

Copley Hill Gym

So... they're officially commemorating all 1,008 Pokemon. 600+ which are not obtainable nor playable in the game right now. Feels a bit weird that they're doing this out of the blue and not on Pokemon Day.

Also kinda sucks that as you go by the list, you realize that some Pokemon like Blitzle have not been obtainable since Gen 6.

A part of me wishes a National Dex update for SV. But I'd say it has 0.01% chance of happening.

Blitzle has been available in GO, though. Most of the 1008 have been available across the Switch, 3DS and Pokémon GO in the last decade.

No, it's not ideal that some haven't been in a main game, but the limits of the game developments have been clear for some time.

I think celebrating the 1008 Pokémon is a big deal though. It's an acknowledgement of the breadth of the Pokedex and how far we've come, some of us from no.1 Bulbasaur on 5 October 1999...:)

(God I feel old now)

Luthor

I don't think there will be a National Dex update for SV if you mean in-game usable national dex but I'm at least hoping we will get the confirmed national dex numbers for the S/V pokemon.

Orphalesion

I always thougth reaching 1000 species would feel like a bigger thing, but at least for me it's kinda under the radar.
Probably feels this way to me because we still don't have official national dex numbers.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
I don't think there will be a National Dex update for SV if you mean in-game usable national dex but I'm at least hoping we will get the confirmed national dex numbers for the S/V pokemon.
I know Dexit is here to stay. Just very wishful thinking on my part. I would love to bring and use my old Pokemon without being restricted every generation.

Anyway, the video is said to be 9 minutes long. Hopefully they update the Japanese Pokedex with the official artworks.

Copley Hill Gym

I have a theory, which is that they've announced 1008 Pokémon to be celebrated today, but will actually reveal Paradox Suicune and Paradox Virizion as 1009 and 1010 today together with the DLC.

Wishful thinking maybe but it would make sense, given the length of the video, if they were doing a bit more than just celebrating the Pokémon released up until now...

Baggie_Saiyan

There's not been a game where you can catch all Pokemon natively up that gen without transferring and a lot of those transfers required jumping through hoops, having to have multiple consoles etc with the only exception being gen 3 to 4 *free* transfers. Dexit sucks (my fav Mon isn't in SV) but it makes sense especially as we moved away from sprites & hitting 1000.

Especially with non free transfers it would be unfair for those who can afford Home to be able to transfer Mons and others not, same reason why imo Bank only transfers were unfair

I think Dexit should have happened with Gen 6 as clearly new dex suffered because of that (imo gen 6 has the most underwhelming new dex by far in terms of design too)

Copley Hill Gym

I always thougth reaching 1000 species would feel like a bigger thing, but at least for me it's kinda under the radar.
Probably feels this way to me because we still don't have official national dex numbers.

Gholdengo at first to me felt like a seriously underwhelming evolution, but it has grown on me massively.

The video is a nice reminder of Pokémon through the years. I feel soooooooo old right now! Memories of old friends, family and some no longer with us having played the games with me. Happy memories throughout.