• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
As a solo player, Tera Raids are like heaven after the Max Raids. It’s not even comparable.
Max Raids were one of the worst (if not the single worst) gaming experience I ever had. The AI helpers being purposefully bad to the point they were almost sabotaging you felt like a scam to force you into signing Switch Online; the fact the raids progressed at an unbelievably slow pace to the point a couple raids were the max you could do before feeling like putting the game down to take a nap; plus the fact you couldn’t forfeit so you had to go through the entire thing even if you could tell on first round you would lose.
Put all those three elements together and is no surprise in less than 1 month having SV my playtime already exceeded SwSh. Despite its minor glitches and bugs, Tera Raids are actually something fun to do.

p.s.: for those having trouble with the Ability erasing skill, give Ability Shield to your Pokémon

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
I actually think that Max Raids are better than Tera Raids.
Performance wise Max Raids are smoother but anything packing spread moves is a nerve wrecking experience as it can quickly rack up the 4 KO count that boots you out of the den (generally weak AI partners only makes it worst).

You can bring your best raid slayers but it may end up being moot if something like Discharge scores 2 or more KOs in one shot.

Edit: From those who have faced Greninja in the latest raid which out Gastrodon or Kingambit would be better for a potential solo run? Kingambit has Kowtow Cleave which always hits but no recovery may mean it cannot take repeated Hydro Pumps for too long. Gastrodon gets Recover and Clear Smog deals with Double Team spam, also neutral to Water so you don't have to worry too much about the buff clear/ability negation thing (unlike Clodsire).

Last edited:

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
Both battle types show the fundamental flaws of cooperation: attention and communication. Why GF wanted to push this well documented concept onto a kid’s game is beyond me. We ALL know not everybody’s a team player; why am I having to put up with it in my leisure time, for the second time?! I’d play CoD or a battle royale if I wanted to deal with multiplayer issues.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Okay so, given that Professor Sada and Professor Turo were dead the entire game, can we safely say Pokémon Scarlet & Violet is the first main series game to not have a Pokémon Professor?

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Okay so, given that Professor Sada and Professor Turo were dead the entire game, can we safely say Pokémon Scarlet & Violet is the first main series game to not have a Pokémon Professor?
I count Jaq as the professor given he gives you stuff for completing the Pokédex and even evaluates your progress.

Luthor

Depends if you count the AI (given they do sort of have the deceased professor's personality) or Jacq. There's also the possibility of Sada and Turo turning up in the DLC in the game they may have survived in (e.g Sada may be alive in Violet and Turo may be alive in Scarlet) assuming that they are still canonically the parent of Arven in the alternative game.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
It does seem like they're slowly moving away from the Pokemon Professor trope to the point that I wonder if they're just going to do away with the concept in a future generation. With the exception of Laventon in LA, we haven't received our starter from the Professor since BW. In SwSh Magnolia mainly just gave you your Dynamax Band and Sonia arguably ended up being the "real" Professor in that game. Now Sada/Turo are little more than antagonists driving the final story and Jacq barely plays any role in the story. Honestly do we even need a Professor anymore? Different characters end up giving us our starter now. The Rotom Phone can handle Pokedex evaluation. So what's left for the Professor to do?

Onyx Tanuki

Ma! There's a weird 'nuki in the yahd!
Has there already been discussion or speculation regarding the symbol etched into the ground in the Iron Valiant cave? It's one of the things that really stuck out to me recently, and I'm wondering what its significance is, if any. I was figuring it to either be a rune sealing the Disc legend mentioned in the Scarlet/Violet Book or something like its footprint or a crop circle-like pattern it may have created there. Included is an image with said pattern redlined (excuse the shoddiness, I was using a mouse):
Fnhm4dsa-MAADJ5u.jpg

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Has there already been discussion or speculation regarding the symbol etched into the ground in the Iron Valiant cave? It's one of the things that really stuck out to me recently, and I'm wondering what its significance is, if any. I was figuring it to either be a rune sealing the Disc legend mentioned in the Scarlet/Violet Book or something like its footprint or a crop circle-like pattern it may have created there. Included is an image with said pattern redlined (excuse the shoddiness, I was using a mouse):
Fnhm4dsa-MAADJ5u.jpg
It's actually on the logo of the game's title. The symbol on the upper right. The upper left one is the symbol for Area Zero. The lower left one is for Terastal, and the lower right is seen in one of the white board in Area Zero/Zero Lab, I think?
scarlet_violet_logo.png

Onyx Tanuki

Ma! There's a weird 'nuki in the yahd!
It's actually on the logo of the game's title. The symbol on the upper right. The upper left one is the symbol for Area Zero. The lower left one is for Terastal, and the lower right is seen in one of the white board in Area Zero/Zero Lab, I think?
Ah, I hadn't even noticed that. It does look slightly different between the two (the lines in the circles don't join up into a square like they do in my screencap) but it's close enough that I do believe they're supposed to be the same. I can go look in the Zero Lab for that lower right symbol later. Still curious if they mean anything in particular or if it's all just foreshadowing within the title images to Area Zero and its importance to the endgame.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Ah, I hadn't even noticed that. It does look slightly different between the two (the lines in the circles don't join up into a square like they do in my screencap) but it's close enough that I do believe they're supposed to be the same. I can go look in the Zero Lab for that lower right symbol later. Still curious if they mean anything in particular or if it's all just foreshadowing within the title images to Area Zero and its importance to the endgame.
I assume the significance of the symbol is being saved for the inevitable SV DLC. Going further into Area Zero.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Further exploration of Area Zero as the first part of the DLC makes the most sense. There seems to be so many unexplained things down there especially with how perfectly round the center is to the point even the fog covering the opening to Area Zero is a perfect circle and the center has a perfect rounded opening. That doesn’t happen naturally.

vondecayle

There's also the possibility of Sada and Turo turning up in the DLC in the game they may have survived in
Would love to see this!

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Would love to see this!
I would like to see the opposing Profesor (Sada in Violet and Turo on Scarlet) with the Legendary Chimera (Beasts of Swords of Justice). Bonus point for Turo with prehistoric and Sada with future design.

There's a theory Legendary Beast will have Drizzle-like ability and Legendary Sword some other Teresin to negate Miraidon/Koraidon and Paradox abilities which in this case will be against you.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I'm planning on catching a Flutter Mane either in the post game or when I first reach Area Zero, & I'm currently torn between two options for a nickname:
  • Bruxamus- I was looking up the etymolgy behind dinosaur names since most of the past paradox pokemon take influence from dinosaurs, and found out that -mimus (Greek for mimic) is a suffix used for dinosaurs that mimicked objects & animals (ex- ornithomimus is the bird mimic). So Bruxamus would be a combination of Bruxa (from the vampire of Iberian folklore, one of Flutter Mane's influences), and a corruption of -mimus.
  • Arezu- Since Scarlet is a continuation of several of my roleplaying playthroughs, I thought of naming Flutter Mane after Arezu from Legends Arceus since it connects to its hair elements of Flutter Mane's name & design, Arezu had an interest in hair and became the stylist in Jubilife Village, and it references one of the side quests in Legends where you have to catch a Misdreavus and show it to Arezu to unlock more hairstyles. Plus, it shows how my character's time in Hisui really left a big impact on her, and how she still misses everyone in Jubilife Village (who sort of became a second family to her).

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
I'm planning on catching a Flutter Mane either in the post game or when I first reach Area Zero, & I'm currently torn between two options for a nickname:
  • Bruxamus- I was looking up the etymolgy behind dinosaur names since most of the past paradox pokemon take influence from dinosaurs, and found out that -mimus (Greek for mimic) is a suffix used for dinosaurs that mimicked objects & animals (ex- ornithomimus is the bird mimic). So Bruxamus would be a combination of Bruxa (from the vampire of Iberian folklore, one of Flutter Mane's influences), and a corruption of -mimus.
  • Arezu- Since Scarlet is a continuation of several of my roleplaying playthroughs, I thought of naming Flutter Mane after Arezu from Legends Arceus since it connects to its hair elements of Flutter Mane's name & design, Arezu had an interest in hair and became the stylist in Jubilife Village, and it references one of the side quests in Legends where you have to catch a Misdreavus and show it to Arezu to unlock more hairstyles. Plus, it shows how my character's time in Hisui really left a big impact on her, and how she still misses everyone in Jubilife Village (who sort of became a second family to her).
Leaning towards Arezu, it gives a bit more impact in your role playing that your character may nickname Pokemon after people that have left a big impact on her.

Luthor

I'd lean more towards the second as well. Flutter Mane is claimed to resemble a ghostly pterosaur more than an actual dinosaur like Ornithomimus and in the case of Flutter mane even its flying reptile-like traits are quite subtle compared to a lot of the Past Paradox. I also quite like how you tied it in to a specific part of legends Arceus. Obviously that's just an opinion and its ultimately entirely up to you.

Would love to see this!
I would like to see the opposing Profesor (Sada in Violet and Turo on Scarlet) with the Legendary Chimera (Beasts of Swords of Justice). Bonus point for Turo with prehistoric and Sada with future design.

There's a theory Legendary Beast will have Drizzle-like ability and Legendary Sword some other Teresin to negate Miraidon/Koraidon and Paradox abilities which in this case will be against you.

Obviously there's no guarantee they will be in the alternative game but given they made it clear that the partner of the professor did leave when they easily could have specified they died like they confirmed with the ones who built the AI helpers. Its also from a game creation point an easy way to reuse those assets which they have already created when they designed the professors originally.

As for the abilities of these creatures I do think its plausible they will be some significant abilities to these Pokemon as you suggest given that the Pokemon themselves have been hinted to us way before the DLC so to me that makes me think they were properly link into the DLC story. Giving them Protosynthesis or Quark Drive is possible (given they would be able to be given a booster energy) but I hope not as while those are good abilities I think they could do more with these fusion legends.

Last edited:

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Scarlet and Violet have hit a total of over 20 million sold. In just essentially 2.5 months.

If they can just fix the obvious performance issue, we gucci.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Good seeing Legends Arceus is closing in with LGPE. Hopefully it'll outsale the gen 1 pandering fest :p