• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I need help with the Paradox Raid! Unless someone could trade them with me. I can get you the Violet Paradox Pokémon in exchange.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
So does Walking Wave just prove the imagination theory right, or are they retconning the lore...like maybe Ho-oh modelled the legendary beasts of mighty ancient creatures. Or does Gamefreak just not care

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
So does Walking Wave just prove the imagination theory right, or are they retconning the lore...like maybe Ho-oh modelled the legendary beasts of mighty ancient creatures. Or does Gamefreak just not care
First one

Copley Hill Gym

Been giving this some thought…but the sketches from the Scarlet and Violet book are meant to push certain ideas on us.

It’s likely that they were sketches made up early in the development of the game that were later repurposed into the S/V books as a way of foreshadowing actual Pokemon.

If you look at the “Suicune” sketch it actually matches the Walking Wake Paradox ’mon far more closely than we’ve given it credit for. The only real differences are the mouth (more Entei in shape) and the front two feet, which are raptor like on the actual Pokemon.

The same with the “Virizion” sketch against Iron Leaves. The spacing of the legs and the overall shape are very similar (but with a few elements of the other swords of justice thrown in, such as Cobalion’s hood and Terakion’s head horns).

The two we have received in the Tera raids are however explicitly Suicune and Virizion Paradox Pokemon in design.

The former - not actually such a jump to suggest that this was the Pokemon Ho-Oh brought back to life. The savage Pokemon of the past brought back to life as an elegant Pokemon of the water. I can totally see that. The design for Walking Wake is actually mega clever, harking back to Raptors and dinosaurs and implying a full on past life. It looks more savage and more wild than Suicune. Where does it say that the Pokemon Suicune was brought back to life from wasn’t a more close ancestor? I think Game Freak have really thought this through for Walking Wake and the result is actually entirely consistent with the G/S lore. Almost explicitly so really by establishing a more primal, savage form from which Suicune can be created. Becomes not so much a jump actually.

In the latter, Iron Leaves follows the Iron XXXXXX trend absolutely to the letter. Same Pokemon but made Iron in aesthetic and with new typing. I get how this might disappoint a lot of people, perhaps expecting something more extreme like the sketch, but the point of the sketches was to imagine what other ancient or future Pokemon could look like, not what they would look like (though it turns out, deliberately close to the sketches!)

I actually doubt we will get more of these - I’d love to be proved wrong. But I think the sketches were meant to throw us off the scent a bit by claiming they were imagined in the S/V book, whereas the actual Paradox Pokemon follow the trends established by the game’s lore pretty closely.

If we do end up getting two more of each, I am all for it. I just can’t see them doing electric/dragon again for Raikou, so perhaps the typing for him and Raikou will be different to Suicune in that respect.

Either way, the only disappointment for me is that we got them in Tera Raids and not an additional storyline drop of some form. That bit feels a bit lazy,I would have loved some additional lore and dialogue. The lack of Pokedex entries too is also supremely off. Sorry, I want to know more about these mysterious Paradox Pokemon.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
The thing about future paradoxes is that their most interesting stuff isn't shown in the 2d art
I didn't care much for Iron Bundle until I saw its head spring off (although the concept of evil delibird is inherently funny)
Iron Leaves can extend the leaves to form a sword which is pretty cool

Last edited:

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Regarding H-Zorua/Zoroark, the Poke Ball inheritance trick when breeding two of the same Pokemon should work to get them in non-standard balls as long it is holding the Everstone. Glad my one ended up been female, makes pairing it up with another Zoroark easier given its gender ration heavily favouring males.

Baggie_Saiyan

Okay I've warmed up to Walking Wake now seeing and using it in game! Love the way the tails moves

It feel's like Pokemon nowadays are being designed with models in mind rather than static images (which is why I guess a lot of the official art feels off this gen)

Also tera raids, feel so much smoother now!

Luthor

I don't think it outright proves anything until we get some clear lore about these new ones, Even amongst the paradox Pokemon we know very little so far about these new ones. If I had to guess given how the paradox Pokemon origins are at best unclear (even pointed out in-game) I tend to think it leans more towards one of the imagination theories. But that's more speculation than anything clear.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
As expected DLC though they haven't shown anything yet and the rest of the Present? Boring but what did you expect when a large portion of the airtime was about Pokemon Sleep (and I am still confused about what the heck that thing is about.

But did I heard it right it's a completely new region??? If yes and even though it's gonna be a lot smaller, that's cool but without actual gameplay I can't judge.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
As expected DLC though they haven't shown anything yet and the rest of the Present? Boring but what did you expect when a large portion of the airtime was about Pokemon Sleep (and I am still confused about what the heck that thing is about.

But did I heard it right it's a completely new region??? If yes and even though it's gonna be a lot smaller, that's cool but without actual gameplay I can't judge.
Ya its a new region, Kitakami.
When is the new update coming ?
Already is out

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
We will probably find out with the DLC focused on Terapagos but some of the existing Paradox Pokemon seem to favour the imagination theory being right. Scream Tail’s Violet entry suggesting it exists before the first multicellular organisms appeared (assuming Pokemon biology is somewhat similar to real life) is quite crazy.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
We will probably find out with the DLC focused on Terapagos but some of the existing Paradox Pokemon seem to favour the imagination theory being right. Scream Tail’s Violet entry suggesting it exists before the first multicellular organisms appeared (assuming Pokemon biology is somewhat similar to real life) is quite crazy.
I think a notion people overlook is that the Pokédex entries are based on the Occulture magazine, and the Occulture magazine is based on the Scarlet/Violet Book.
So basically it’s a telephone game, with the dex entries coming after a sensationalist magazine, so they are not accurate descriptions of the Pokémon.

So basically Heath described those Pokémon in his book 200 years ago (we only get to see the descriptions for Great Tusk/Iron Treads, but based on those they are merely a recounting of how Heath’s group met the Paradox Pokémon).

Then, 200 years later, the Occulture magazine makes those really absurd guesses about those Pokémon origins (we get to read all the Occulture issues on the academy and Sada/Turo lab).

THEN the Pokédex (Jacq?) make those even more absurd entries based on the Occulture articles.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member

Ya its a new region, Kitakami.
Note: they specifically call this area a "Land", not a region. I'm worried people are going to get mad this place won't be as big as Paldea because they didn't pay close enough attention.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
Could this place be the blurred part of the top right map if they describe it as a land then?
Sure that makes no sense geographically in a real world perspective but it's a fantasy world you don't have to be 1:1 that's boring