• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

ChandelureDetour

I’m wondering how they will ultimately tie Ogrepon to the terastylize mechanic. Ogrepon’s mask seems to have Tera shards in it after all.

Luthor

I’m wondering how they will ultimately tie Ogrepon to the terastylize mechanic. Ogrepon’s mask seems to have Tera shards in it after all.

Hard to say. People are speculating Ogrepon ties into the Oni in the story of momotarō but how that ties into tera is a lot harder.
My best guess for now is that its a bit like Glimmora (as in a non-paradox Pokemon from area zero and got the shard from there) but that it got out from area and went really far and started tormenting the locals in this area but this is a pure guess.

Last edited:

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Hard to say. People are speculating Ogrepon ties into the Oni in the story of momotarō but how that ties into tera is a lot harder.
My best guess for now is that its a bit like Glimmora (as in a non-paradox Pokemon from area zero and got the shard from there) but that it got out from area and went really far and started tormenting the locals in this area but this is a pure guess.

I theorize it learned how to use tera crystals as materials for making masks that can give it a powerful tera form.

And thus other masks come from Ogrepon. While all Terastilization comes from Terapagos.

Copley Hill Gym

The Momotarō story is really interesting, having many variants which give differences in age for the protagonist and similar.

Momotarō was born from a giant peach, which was found floating down a river by an old, childless woman who was washing clothes there. The woman and her husband discovered the child when they tried to open the peach to eat it. The child explained that he had been bestowed by the Gods to be their son. The couple named him Momotarō, from momo (peach) and tarō (eldest son in the family). When he was just five years old, he was able to cut a big tree with just an old knife

When he matured into adolescence, Momotarō left his parents to fight a band of Oni (demons or ogres) who marauded over their land, by seeking them out in the distant island where they dwelled (a place called Onigashima or "Demon Island"). En route, Momotarō met and befriended a talking dog, monkey and pheasant, who agreed to help him in his quest in exchange for a portion of his rations (kibi dango or "millet dumplings"). At the island, Momotarō and his animal friends penetrated the demons' fort and beat the band of demons into surrendering. Momotarō and his new friends returned home with the demons' plundered treasure and the demon chief as a captive.

However there is a version of the story which stands out to me as a Pokemon fan:

In some variants, a red and white box are seen floating down the river, and when the red box is chosen to be recovered, Momotarō is found inside. These may be a red box and a black box, or the box may contain a peach inside. These types are often seen in the northern parts of Japan (Tōhoku and Hokuriku regions).

The red and white boxes intrigue, being part of the Poke-ball colours.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Spain has a lot of Asians living there. When I was visiting my uncle in Madrid a few years back, there were quite a few tourists from Asia over there and quite a few residents that came over from China, Japan, and South Korea.

divinepokemonXZ

ALL HAIL THE GORILLA-FROG!
Spain has a lot of Asians living there. When I was visiting my uncle in Madrid a few years back, there were quite a few tourists from Asia over there and quite a few residents that came over from China, Japan, and South Korea.
Is Spain's Asian diaspora nearly as large as Canada's?

I wouldn't bat an eye if GameFreak created a region based on present-day Toronto but treated it as if it were culturally Chinese or Indian, but a "traditional Japan" analog where one would logically expect a region based on southern France to be located is a bit more of a stretch. Then again, maybe Kitakami was founded hundreds of years ago by refugees from a wartorn ancient Johto. That wouldn't be too odd in the context of the Pokemon world given how Hisui became Sinnoh and how Alola was influenced by Kantonian immigrants.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer

I wouldn't bat an eye if GameFreak created a region based on present-day Toronto but treated it as if it were culturally Chinese or Indian, but a "traditional Japan" analog where one would logically expect a region based on southern France to be located is a bit more of a stretch. Then again, maybe Kitakami was founded hundreds of years ago by refugees from a wartorn ancient Johto. That wouldn't be too odd in the context of the Pokemon world given how Hisui became Sinnoh and how Alola was influenced by Kantonian immigrants.
I believe that Kitakami is based on the Chugoku prefecture of Japan. It is the westernmost portion of the island of Honshu and is notably where Hiroshima is located.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles

GF pretty much is going to do that, they are a Japanese studio, as much as they look into things they develop regions since gen V with a tourist-like mentality for concepts and designs.

As much as I would love a Galar take for a Canadian region, GF may end up doing just Vancouver since it is on the pacific coast and closest to Japan.

Kitakami is geologically very interesting and will be fascinating to see what its doing here. I'm hoping its actually farther away from the mainland Paldea than the map alludes it to be so its not too jarring.

divinepokemonXZ

I theorize it learned how to use tera crystals as materials for making masks that can give it a powerful tera form.

And thus other masks come from Ogrepon. While all Terastilization comes from Terapagos.
Centro is saying there is likely another DLC after The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero to be released sometime in 2024. There might be a Mega Evolution equivalent revealed in the DLC (the leaker didn't specify which one but it sounds like the first DLC). I wonder if Ogerpon could be connected somehow?

I believe that Kitakami is based on the Chugoku prefecture of Japan. It is the westernmost portion of the island of Honshu and is notably where Hiroshima is located.
It is named after a real-world town in Iwate prefecture AKA northern Japan just for your information. Source: Bulbapedia.

GF pretty much is going to do that, they are a Japanese studio, as much as they look into things they develop regions since gen V with a tourist-like mentality for concepts and designs.

As much as I would love a Galar take for a Canadian region, GF may end up doing just Vancouver since it is on the pacific coast and closest to Japan.

Kitakami is geologically very interesting and will be fascinating to see what its doing here. I'm hoping its actually farther away from the mainland Paldea than the map alludes it to be so its not too jarring.
I think there is a mountain range separating Kitakami from Paldea. I am 100% grasping at straws here (acknowledging that you are speculating is certainly a useful skill to have) but that chunk of unused land could be like the Pokemon equivalent of the Himalayas which separates China from India while the actual Kitakami is on the other side. In the real world, two very distinct cultures could exist in close proximity but are kept apart geographically by something like that. Maybe that is how we have an Asian-coded region and a Medditerean-coded region so close to each other?

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I think that Kitakami is very far away from Paldea and is actually closer to Kanto and Johto.

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Centro is saying there is likely another DLC after The Hidden Treasure of Area Zero to be released sometime in 2024. There might be a Mega Evolution equivalent revealed in the DLC (the leaker didn't specify which one but it sounds like the first DLC). I wonder if Ogerpon could be connected somehow?

It is named after a real-world town in Iwate prefecture AKA northern Japan just for your information. Source: Bulbapedia.

I think there is a mountain range separating Kitakami from Paldea. I am 100% grasping at straws here (acknowledging that you are speculating is certainly a useful skill to have) but that chunk of unused land could be like the Pokemon equivalent of the Himalayas which separates China from India while the actual Kitakami is on the other side. In the real world, two very distinct cultures could exist in close proximity but are kept apart geographically by something like that. Maybe that is how we have an Asian-coded region and a Medditerean-coded region so close to each other?
An interesting theory about Paldea's and Kitakami's connection.

LambzGoHard

So I haven't even started Scarlet or Violet so I was kinda freaking out that I'd miss out on catching Walking Wake & Iron Leaves but when I watched the Pokemon Direct video it said that they will be available in future events so I'm hoping there'll be more than one raid event to catch them as I'll not be able to complete both games that quickly in order to be strong enough to catch them during the first current event. I've still to do the DLC on my Shield game first. I'd also like to take my time with the games and not rush through them.

I was thinking about playing Legends Arceus after I get finished with Sword & Shield but I think I'll play Scarlet & Violet before Legends? I'm not sure. All I know is I want to play Scarlet & Violet once Pokemon Home is compatible with those.

Autobot N

So I haven't even started Scarlet or Violet so I was kinda freaking out that I'd miss out on catching Walking Wake & Iron Leaves but when I watched the Pokemon Direct video it said that they will be available in future events so I'm hoping there'll be more than one raid event to catch them as I'll not be able to complete both games that quickly in order to be strong enough to catch them during the first current event. I've still to do the DLC on my Shield game first. I'd also like to take my time with the games and not rush through them.

I was thinking about playing Legends Arceus after I get finished with Sword & Shield but I think I'll play Scarlet & Violet before Legends? I'm not sure. All I know is I want to play Scarlet & Violet once Pokemon Home is compatible with those.
Idk if it works the same way in SV but in SWSH if you didn't connect to Wi-Fi manually the raids wouldn't update. I kept that Shiny Magikarp max raid battle around for months after the event officially ended.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
ATTENTION: WARNING

There's some issue with Pokemon SV where saves are becoming unreadable. Many who experienced this issue have seen this error after doing the Go connection, though someone else said it was after DLC purchase. I would be careful with SV, particularly with the GO connection, until there is a fix. I do not know if the save is permanently inaccessible, or will be restored after the fix.

I also veered into the Reddit thread that was talking about this, and it may be affecting the digital copies. I'm not sure myself.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I connected to Go and my save was perfectly fine. Got Modern Pattern Vivillion in the process. So maybe it’s after buying the DLC?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
ATTENTION: WARNING

There's some issue with Pokemon SV where saves are becoming unreadable. Many who experienced this issue have seen this error after doing the Go connection, though someone else said it was after DLC purchase. I would be careful with SV, particularly with the GO connection, until there is a fix. I do not know if the save is permanently inaccessible, or will be restored after the fix.

I also veered into the Reddit thread that was talking about this, and it may be affecting the digital copies. I'm not sure myself.

Yea it's not good. Saw that someone did the corrupted data check via their Switch when they ran into a save issue recently. So maybe that could be an option.

Avoiding the DLC until this has been fixed.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I connected to Go and my save was perfectly fine. Got Modern Pattern Vivillion in the process. So maybe it’s after buying the DLC?
It hasn't affected everybody who did the Go Postcards, but most people who've had this error have said they received it after transferring the postcards to receive Vivillon patterns. I would avoid doing the postcards until this issue has been resolved.

divinepokemonXZ

Yea it's not good. Saw that someone did the corrupted data check via their Switch when they ran into a save issue recently. So maybe that could be an option.

I'm suddenly very glad I didn't bother purchasing the DLC as soon as it was available. I was going to wait until my birthday to make the purchase but I'll wait until the issues or whatever have been resolved for sure because I don't want to risk losing that level 80 shiny Hydreigon I captured as a Deino while looking for Glimmet (after mistakenly killing the first one I found).

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I'm suddenly very glad I didn't bother purchasing the DLC as soon as it was available. I was going to wait until my birthday to make the purchase but I'll wait until the issues or whatever have been resolved for sure because I don't want to risk losing that level 80 shiny Hydreigon I captured as a Deino while looking for Glimmet (after mistakenly killing the first one I found).
We don't quite know the commonality behind everyone who was affected by this, but more people reported this problem while transferring postcards for Vivillon than anything revolving DLC. I'm not going to tell you how to spend your money, but the thing I would watch out for for the time being is connecting SV to GO.