• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
Why do they even have to give the IP to a different company anyways, can't they just collaborate with them? Monolith Soft has co-developed a lot of games, let them collab with GF

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
From what I've heard, the people that worked the Orre duology and PBR have largely moved on (makes sense given they are around 20 years old now). Additionally, one member from Genious Sonority did actually work for Game Freak, but they moved on to work their own studio.

Additionally, what's left of Genius Sonority IS still making Pokemon games... but nowhere near the kinds of experiences the fans would want. They're making mobile games like Shuffle and Cafe Mix. They're a shell of their former selves.

I don't think there is any good faith in having the "I think Pokemon should go to (X) studio" discussion.
This all happened due to a misreport that wasn't even on the Japanese end.

Because the misreport is only a piece of the puzzle, the sheer amount of bugs in SV have left many fans feeling that the state of the series is unacceptable. And this isn't the first time fans have suggested this, there's been fans calling for that for years. They've just been getting louder because the situation keeps getting worse and worse.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
Who is more usless? Korean Nexon of maplestory fame, or GF/TPC?

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
I don't think Gamefreak is useless. I think the problem is that the Pokemon franchise is now too big for them to handle on their own. They really need to expand or find another company to help them with their workload.
And yet they WON'T.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
And yet they WON'T.
Pretty much. They don't want anyone to come assist them with developing the mainline games. The only reason why ILCA was even brought on to do BDSP was so that they would have something out for the 2021 Holiday season as COVID forced Legends Arceus to be delayed by two months, which is what I believe.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
I think it was also made as a "safe" game in case Legends Arceus wasn't well received

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
Pretty much. They don't want anyone to come assist them with developing the mainline games. The only reason why ILCA was even brought on to do BDSP was so that they would have something out for the 2021 Holiday season as COVID forced Legends Arceus to be delayed by two months, which is what I believe.
Which is why they are usless as wet bucket.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
They actually do outsource it's just that most of the companies they outsource to just do modeling and pokemon animations

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
They actually do outsource it's just that most of the companies they outsource to just do modeling and pokemon animations
They need more help in running the game. It feels like bunch of monkeys running the game.
What a usless company.

Autobot N

You know what’s kind of a shame? On all my in game teams I like to have one minor legendary or similar Pokémon (like the Ultra Beasts and Paradox Pokémon) on my team, but the only available ones in Violet are Treads (which I’m not a huge fan of), Bundle, and Jugulis (both of which I do like, but they’re not available until like 10 minutes before the end of the game). If I had Scarlet, I would more than fine with using Great Tusk, but the problem is that I prefer every single other exclusive thing about Violet except for Flutter Mane, so it’s not as simple as just picking the other version.

I thought my problems would be solved with the Iron Leaves raids, but you can only catch them at level 75 so that definitely won’t fit on a team

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
Do you have anything new to say or are you just gonna spout "useless" over and over again like Dio Brando

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

I don't think that's the reason. I don't think even Game Freak thinks they could've gotten away with releasing BDSP and LA so close together, the moment they decided to have two games close together, they needed to outsource.

I think the reason they decided to make LA was because Game Freak went through a philosophy shift after Nintendo released BotW. Before that point they were all in on making the games super linear to pander to casuals and mobile games, but BotW showed them that open world games are insanely successful on the Switch, so they decided they wanted a piece of that pie. But they couldn't just make BDSP open world because that would just fundamentally change the experience to the point where it wouldn't feel like DP anymore, so instead they made a completely separate game that could take more liberties with Sinnoh.

The philosophy shift is also the reason the quality of the games is declining. They clearly don't have and don't want to obtain the resources needed to make BotW-style open world games want, those types of games are far too large and complex to be done by 100ish people in 3 years. That's not to say at all they were wrong to make that shift, Pokemon needed it because console audiences tend to want experiences closer to BotW than the likes of SM, but the games have clearly become too much for them to handle.

Yeah, and that's clearly not enough anymore. They need more help with the programming and testing.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Would be nice if TPC would let one of Nintendo’s studios make their own Pokémon game, maybe we could get an actually polished game

Considering I think it's The Pokémon Company who's the cause of the fast turnaround time leading to rushed games, I don't think there's going to be any real change until The Pokémon Company either adjusts the schedule or they somehow lose creative control of the games.

That's what they should do, but I don't think they want to make that investment. As long as it's making money, they won't care, they'll run this sucker into the ground unless Nintendo steps in and stops them.

Really, I'm more confused as to why Nintendo hasn't stopped them, Nintendo is very protective of their and their IPs' reputation and they really don't want a mess like this on their hands for one of their biggest exclusives. Yet, they seem to just let it keep happening. I don't get it.
My guess: to slow down the schedules would derail the rest of the franchise. They likely already have the anime, the Trading Card Game, and other various aspects already planned out for the rest of the generation.

That being said, the move of Game Freak to right next to Nintendo headquarters happened when Generation IX was underway. That would make Generation 10 the first one whose production is done at that location from scratch. If the games are going to get less rushed, it will happen during that generation, not this one.

Of course, that year when there was no main series Pokémon release (and we instead got one of the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games), the Pokémon fans rioted, which gave these companies the message that the fans won't tolerate more than a year gap between new content for the main series.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
My guess: to slow down the schedules would derail the rest of the franchise. They likely already have the anime, the Trading Card Game, and other various aspects already planned out for the rest of the generation.

And they can't simply plan those to last longer? Pokemon has 1000 Pokemon now, there's no shortage of source material for the other arms of the brand. I don't think an extra year or two would derail the franchise at all, TPC is just being cheap and lazy here and I don't have much sympathy for this problem.

EDIT: Also Nintendo's not as concerned with the media and merchandising arms (I'm sure they want them to be successful, but it's not priority #1 for them like it is for TPC). They're a gaming company first and foremost. I don't think they want the games' quality to suffer for the sake of media and merchandise. They're even on record saying they'd prefer to delay their games than rush them out a buggy mess like this. So why are they just waiting until now (if even that) to address the issue?

Of course, that year when there was no main series Pokémon release (and we instead got one of the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games), the Pokémon fans rioted, which gave these companies the message that the fans won't tolerate more than a year gap between new content for the main series.

Did they? I don't remember anyone complaining about no main series game in 2015. And it wasn't the first time that Pokemon took a break year (it was only the first in a while for international fans, the last being 2008). I wasn't unhappy with them taking a year off in 2015. I was unhappy with them moving on to 7th gen in 2016. It felt too soon, they rushed it for the anniversary and the game didn't really do anything to celebrate it, and we lost out on a sorely needed Z/XY2/whatever in the process. After 3rd and 4th gen both lasted 4 years, I expected 6th gen to (5th gen made sense to be cut short because it released during the DS' twilight years, but 6th gen had no such issue), but nope, they had to cut 6th gen to 3 years for questionable reasons.

Anyway, I don't think that was a justified complaint. A break year every now and then won't kill them. They don't really need to as much anymore because we have DLC and new styles of games to pad out the generations, but I don't see an occasional break year being some huge crisis.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
TPC is moronic company and a cancer to Pokemon Fandom.

Let's get back on topic and cut out the insults.

I get not liking them, but let's at least make it an actual productive discussion.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
I still think SuMo were pretty good despite being seemingly rushed yeah yeah cutscenes but they had good characters and story, Alola was a nice region with chill vibes, some really good worldbuilding if you read the NPC text, neat landmarks like Poni Canyon and the abandoned megamart, and you got awarded for backtracking when you get new ride pokemon, and Poke pelago was a nice feature that makes you not feel bad about PC pokemon
That break year must have done wonders, but the fact that the 3DS was a pure handheld and not a hybrid also helped
I think these games would have a better reputation if the Ultra games didn't exist