• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Pokemon Violet - General Discussion/Speculation Thread

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I still think SuMo were pretty good despite being seemingly rushed yeah yeah cutscenes but they had good characters and story, Alola was a nice region with chill vibes, some really good worldbuilding if you read the NPC text, neat landmarks like Poni Canyon and the abandoned megamart, and you got awarded for backtracking when you get new ride pokemon, and Poke pelago was a nice feature that makes you not feel bad about PC pokemon
That break year must have done wonders, but the fact that the 3DS was a pure handheld and not a hybrid also helped
I think these games would have a better reputation if the Ultra games didn't exist

Well no, I don't mean "rushed" in the sense that they felt unpolished, I mean in the sense that 2016 didn't feel like the right time for 7th gen from a scheduling/lineup perspective. I wanted another Kalos game in 2016 to vindicate XY, not 7th gen (I don't even think SM needed a third version, there was little about it that really felt incomplete like other new generation games). I do have some problems with SM's linearity and constant cutscenes, but that's a design philosophy issue that was baked in from the beginning, that was never going to be fixed with another year of development. It's the Switch games that have suffered from lack of polish, not SM.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Sword and shield were polished. Very few bugs if any in my play through Of both of them and the DLCs. I think the fandom is harsh on gen 8 in all honesty, it holds up as a good pair of games.
I agree. And when it comes to Gen IX, It was the first time GF tried making an entirely open word of that size and there is a lot being generated on screen at a time especially if you’ve connected the game online or doing a Union Circle session. Of course there are going to be bugs because of how busy the overworld can get. They had to animate at least thirty Pokémon to appear onscreen at the same time with each doing something different and sometimes running around in opposite directions and then add in weather and wind conditions, Raid Dens, Trainers and other NPCs, buildings and structures and trees in the distance, the PC, and the Box Legendary being able to be seen in one area all at the same time. GTA only has to deal with the PC, vehicles, pedestrians, and buildings to display on the map at any given time.

Last edited:

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
And they can't simply plan those to last longer? Pokemon has 1000 Pokemon now, there's no shortage of source material for the other arms of the brand. I don't think an extra year or two would derail the franchise at all, TPC is just being cheap and lazy here and I don't have much sympathy for this problem.

EDIT: Also Nintendo's not as concerned with the media and merchandising arms (I'm sure they want them to be successful, but it's not priority #1 for them like it is for TPC). They're a gaming company first and foremost. I don't think they want the games' quality to suffer for the sake of media and merchandise. They're even on record saying they'd prefer to delay their games than rush them out a buggy mess like this. So why are they just waiting until now (if even that) to address the issue?

Did they? I don't remember anyone complaining about no main series game in 2015. And it wasn't the first time that Pokemon took a break year (it was only the first in a while for international fans, the last being 2008). I wasn't unhappy with them taking a year off in 2015. I was unhappy with them moving on to 7th gen in 2016. It felt too soon, they rushed it for the anniversary and the game didn't really do anything to celebrate it, and we lost out on a sorely needed Z/XY2/whatever in the process. After 3rd and 4th gen both lasted 4 years, I expected 6th gen to (5th gen made sense to be cut short because it released during the DS' twilight years, but 6th gen had no such issue), but nope, they had to cut 6th gen to 3 years for questionable reasons.

Anyway, I don't think that was a justified complaint. A break year every now and then won't kill them. They don't really need to as much anymore because we have DLC and new styles of games to pad out the generations, but I don't see an occasional break year being some huge crisis.
I do remember being there on that year, and people were bugged there wasn't one. Perhaps it was that they were annoyed X and Y didn't have an improved third version, but I do remember the rage right here on the Serebii Forums when nothing was announced for that year.

As for the length of generations, ideally, I'd like for them to take the same approach as the Super Mario platformers, the Mario Kart series, and (in a more loose sense) the Legend of Zelda series: one major release per system, which to Pokémon, would translate to one generation per system. Spacing it out more, providing some years without a release, would not only give Game Freak more time to work on these games, but it makes each release feel more meaningful. But what I was addressing was why Nintendo has done nothing to rectify the rushed nature of the Pokémon games despite it being uncharacteristic of them: I don't think Nintendo has full control over the IP, not even the main series. Nintendo would rather delay a game than release something in an incomplete state--if they had full control, I think they would've demanded a delay. I think something or someone is stopping or vetoing them (and I think that something is The Pokémon Company).

Baggie_Saiyan

Problem is Zelda was delayed and I don't think Nintendo could've afforded Pokemon to be too. Had Zelda not been delayed I reckon SCVI would've

But I am confused people were mad about them rushing things now Home has been delayed because obviously it isn't ready and people are mad. If Home relessed this week and was buggy people would be again mad so don't think Pokemon fans will ever be satisfied.

You pay with what you get all these comparisons with Zelda I see online are stupid, Zelda is more expensive game. I am currently playing BOTW and while a great game the map is very very empty only handful of wildlife and the same enemy models over and over, but because Zelda has a bit of polish no one complains. If SCVI was polished but that empty you'd have people complaining for sure

Pokemon isn't perfect but I feel like people are way to harsh on them especially Game freak (to go from making handheld to console games isn't easy). The games are still relatively cheap you aren't paying AAA prices, I paid £36 for Scarlet on launch. Could you get God of War or Zelda that cheap on launch? No

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
But I am confused people were mad about them rushing things now Home has been delayed because obviously it isn't ready and people are mad. If Home relessed this week and was buggy people would be again mad so don't think Pokemon fans will ever be satisfied.
We are mad because they shoudln't have raised our hopes up in the first place. Imagine if your friend says "I'll get you a president next week" and just a day after he/she says "lolz jokes. I will give you one but not yet" WITHOUT SPECIFIC DATE! I would be mad. Especially he/she hasn't given clear reason as to why.
Also this happened when raid has been canceled with bugs and in Japan there is news of official tournament being canceled... yeah Pokemon isn't doing well...

Acer11

When it comes to determining which creatures/plants/objects to base certain Pokemon off of, I first take into account the current Pokemon lineup before I think of the hypothetical ideas.

For example, we don't need a Pokemon based on a tapir because we already got Pokemon based on that creature; Drowzee, Hypno, Munna, and Musharna.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
But I am confused people were mad about them rushing things now Home has been delayed because obviously it isn't ready and people are mad.
I can’t speak for everyone else but for me, I’m not mad about the delay or the fact that they didn’t give a new date. I’d rather the developers take their time and make sure the Home release (& the DLC) goes off without a hitch. Plus, I have other games (& a life) to keep me busy while I’m waiting.

What I’m mad about is the way TPC handled announcing the release. I don’t know if it’s because western accounts didn’t get a memo from Japan, or they discovered a bug at the last minute, but the fact that they just posted a half *mudbray* tweet mentioning the delay without an explanation to why on top of the original glitches, everyone worrying about getting the save data corruption, & canceling all of this weekend’s tera raid events due to bugs, it just comes off as unprofessional and a slap in the face to everyone who defended them up until now.

It just seems like they’re more worried about their integrity than being upfront and honest to their fans. Lumiose Post pretty much summed up how I feel about this in the second part of his thread
I wouldn’t be as mad if they just did a video or a more sincere post apologizing and explaining why the release is being delayed (maybe even mentioning if it had something to do with the bug from the tera raid event and explain why that was cancelled too). At least then it would’ve felt like they actually cared about their fans and wouldn’t feed into the idea that they only see them as idiotic sheeple who will buy anything they make

Last edited:

vondecayle

Sword and shield were polished. Very few bugs if any in my play through Of both of them and the DLCs. I think the fandom is harsh on gen 8 in all honesty, it holds up as a good pair of games.
Sword and Shield got the heat for being the first mainline pokemon games to make such a big cut to the national dex, I think most of the vitriol against gen 8 steams from that. Plus a supposedly “lack of postgame content” before the DLC’s came out. The games also came under fire for their story, which a lot of people seem to dislike. I’ve also seen complaints about the game feeling like a “corridor” with little space for exploration.

Last edited:

Autobot N

What they should do is let Nintendo make one, but have it be outside of the normal release schedule so it’s not delaying the normal marketing campaign. Like how Arceus and BDSP were being developed at the same time by different companies

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I do remember being there on that year, and people were bugged there wasn't one. Perhaps it was that they were annoyed X and Y didn't have an improved third version, but I do remember the rage right here on the Serebii Forums when nothing was announced for that year.

There was a lot of controversy over there being no third version to XY, yes. But I don't think it needed to exist in 2015 to satisfy that. If a third version had released in 2016 and SM released in 2017, I think there would be less complaints. As is a lot of people are upset Kalos got shafted. Some people to this day are still salty about that.

As for the length of generations, ideally, I'd like for them to take the same approach as the Super Mario platformers, the Mario Kart series, and (in a more loose sense) the Legend of Zelda series: one major release per system, which to Pokémon, would translate to one generation per system. Spacing it out more, providing some years without a release, would not only give Game Freak more time to work on these games, but it makes each release feel more meaningful.

I don't think that needs to happen for all of those IPs, but it makes sense for Pokemon. Pokemon is a series that's structured into generations, so it would be best if the Pokemon generations were synced to the hardware generations. That would require a lot more coordination with Nintendo because they would need to be informed about when next gen is coming, but I do think that would be for the best.

But what I was addressing was why Nintendo has done nothing to rectify the rushed nature of the Pokémon games despite it being uncharacteristic of them: I don't think Nintendo has full control over the IP, not even the main series. Nintendo would rather delay a game than release something in an incomplete state--if they had full control, I think they would've demanded a delay. I think something or someone is stopping or vetoing them (and I think that something is The Pokémon Company).

Remember that TPC is made up of a joint arrangement between Nintendo, Game Freak, and Creatures, with each owning 1/3 of TPC. If you're saying TPC is overruling Nintendo you're saying that Game Freak and Creatures are both opposing them. Are they? I could buy that Creatures is, they seem to be the ones driving this in TPC, but Game Freak is probably overworked or exasperated. I think Nintendo and Game Freak would both be in support of longer dev times.

And even if Nintendo is overruled, could they do something to gain more control in TPC? Could they buy out Game Freak, for example?

You pay with what you get all these comparisons with Zelda I see online are stupid, Zelda is more expensive game. I am currently playing BOTW and while a great game the map is very very empty only handful of wildlife and the same enemy models over and over, but because Zelda has a bit of polish no one complains. If SCVI was polished but that empty you'd have people complaining for sure

Pokemon isn't perfect but I feel like people are way to harsh on them especially Game freak (to go from making handheld to console games isn't easy). The games are still relatively cheap you aren't paying AAA prices, I paid £36 for Scarlet on launch. Could you get God of War or Zelda that cheap on launch? No

IDK how things are in the UK, but in the US, we paid the same price for the Pokemon games as almost every other Switch game, which was $60. The same price as BotW, Mario Odyssey, and almost every game on the Switch (TotK went up to $70 and a few games are $40, but none of the Pokemon games are, they're all $60). So no, we are paying AAA prices for Pokemon and they're giving us less-than-AAA quality and polish.

I can’t speak for everyone else but for me, I’m not mad about the delay or the fact that they didn’t give a new date. I’d rather the developers take their time and make sure the Home release (& the DLC) goes off without a hitch.

What I’m mad about is the way TPC handled announcing the release. I don’t know if it’s because western accounts didn’t get a memo from Japan, or they discovered a bug at the last minute, but the fact that they just posted a half *mudbray* tweet mentioning the delay without an explanation to why on top of the original glitches, everyone worrying about getting the save data corruption, & canceling all of this weekend’s tera raid events due to bugs, it just comes off as unprofessional and a slap in the face to everyone who defended them up until now.

It just seems like they’re more worried about their integrity than being upfront and honest to their fans. Lumiose Post pretty much summed up how I feel about this in the second part of his thread
I wouldn’t be as mad if they just did a video or a more sincere post apologizing and explaining why the release is being delayed (maybe even mentioning if it had something to do with the bug from the tera raid event and explain why that was cancelled too). At least then it would’ve felt like they actually cared about their fans and wouldn’t feed into the idea that they only see them as idiotic sheeple who will buy anything they make

This, saying the original release date is a mistake makes it so much worse. If it was just delayed, that'd be sus, but still understandable. Even the best developers run into issues and have to delay games sometimes, and fans are usually fairly understanding of that if a little disappointed. But saying it was a mistake is what really makes them look incompetent. I've never seen another example of a developer mistakenly giving a release date and then correcting it, only delaying. Now I think they could be telling the truth and it could've been an accident. Perhaps the delay was decided on a few days before and communication on the delay simply never reached the Western marketing team, so yes, that would be an accident. But either way, that's still incompetent, that's simply another kind of incompetence. And that combined with the bugs forcing them to cancel multiple Tera Raid events just compounds the issues.

I don't think getting an explanation would help much though. You typically don't get much of one in this situation. If TPC was asked about it, they'd probably reply with some vague PR statement like "we're addressing quality/stability issues" or something. If it has to do with the Tera Raid bugs, they're not going to admit that. Confirming that would just cement their incompetence in the fans' eyes and earn them even more contempt, whereas now we can wonder and speculate but we don't know for sure.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
There's a problem with the idea that the May 24th date was planned, and that's the fact that the Japanese social media accounts never gave a date. The Japanese twitter account does seemingly acknowledge that a release date was incorrectly given in some regions, but they never gave a date themselves.

Let's not jump into conspiracies.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
There's a problem with the idea that the May 24th date was planned, and that's the fact that the Japanese social media accounts never gave a date. The Japanese twitter account does seemingly acknowledge that a release date was incorrectly given in some regions, but they never gave a date themselves.

Let's not jump into conspiracies.

No, that doesn't necessarily refute the idea. The date may have been planned and push backed before the other regions made the announcement, but the news of the delay never made its way to the marketing teams from those reasons so they went through with the announcement. And with the delay, they might not have a new ETA for when it's ready, hence why the Japanese account declined to provide another date.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
Do pokemon company or game freak care? Or are they sociopaths who likes to toture their fans.

bruhidk

LARRY SUPREMACY
The pokemon Japanese account said the date and time it's gotta be for real now