• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - HELP THREAD [Ask your questions here]

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
About Protean/Libero and Tera type...

The game says that when you use a pokémon whose tera type matches the original typing, it'll deal more damage.

So... What happens if, say, I have Cinderace change to fighting type via libero ability than terastallize it with fight tera type. Will it get the bonus above or it'll consider the pokémon's default typing?

Akashin

About Protean/Libero and Tera type...

The game says that when you use a pokémon whose tera type matches the original typing, it'll deal more damage.

So... What happens if, say, I have Cinderace change to fighting type via libero ability than terastallize it with fight tera type. Will it get the bonus above or it'll consider the pokémon's default typing?
Protean and Libero are effectively nullified by Terastalization, as—I would assume—are other changes to type like Soak. A Terastalized, Libero Cinderace will only have STAB on Fighting and Fire (and no extra STAB on either), irregardless of what Libero has previously done.

Onyx Tanuki

Ma! There's a weird 'nuki in the yahd!
Apologies if this has already been asked, but I was curious about Pixilate's interaction with Tera Blast:

- If Sylveon is not Terastalized, will Tera Blast become Fairy type like other Normal moves, or remain Normal?
- What if you Terastalize a T-Normal Sylveon and then have it use Tera Blast?
- I assume it would be unaffected by Pixilate if Sylveon Terastalizes into any type other than Normal, correct?

I'm considering building out a Pixilate Sylveon soon, and trying to consider whether I'm better off investing my time into Ground or Fairy Shards, as well as if it'd be worthwhile to include Tera Blast in its set for Fairy/Ground coverage or if I would be better off sticking to T-Fairy Hyper Voice. Thanks in advance.

stever72

This thread is for any QUESTIONS & ANSWERS regarding the game.
Your questions may not be answered immediately, so please be patient until someone answers.

We highly suggest that you look through these dedicated sections first to help find answers.
Please do not spam your questions. All forum rules apply.
Hey so question about Tera effectiveness: when you terastillize, will this increase the effects of moves that don’t deal damage? For example, status moves, stat increase moves, things like “helping hand” etc.

Onyx Tanuki

Hey so question about Tera effectiveness: when you terastillize, will this increase the effects of moves that don’t deal damage? For example, status moves, stat increase moves, things like “helping hand” etc.
As I understand it, Terastalization only affects your moves' damage and the Pokemon's own type, so anything that doesn't deal damage won't be affected, nor will the chances of any side effects of moves regardless of whether or not they match your Tera type. The exception is that moves that alter your pokemon's type will have that effect overridden, and while that doesn't come into play too often, there is a niche strategy of having T-Electric Pawmot use Double Shock and keep its STAB intact. I'd imagine the same could be said of Burn Up if any pokemon could still use it.

Also, between the original time of this reply and the edit I'm making now, I managed to get an Ability Patch, so I was able to do some testing with my Sylveon regarding how Tera Blast interacts with Pixilate. Whn not Terastalized, it turns into a Fairy type move just like any other Normal move (although this isn't represented by the type symbols when selecting moves). However, if Sylveon is T-Normal, Terastalizes, THEN uses Tera Blast, the attack remains Normal type. Hyper Voice, on the other hand, did turn into a Fairy move, but still seems to get the extra sparkly animation just like other Normal attacks do. I can't really test if Hyper Voice is getting the Pixilate boost, but I can try changing it to T-Fairy once I get enough shards to do so to see if Hyper Voice still gets Tera-boosted when Sylveon is Terastalized to Fairy type. If it doesn't, then T-Fairy Sylveon may well be better off with Moonblast and Cute Charm if you intend it to be the main Tera pokemon on your team.

If there's anyone here who can run some actual damage tests, that'd be dope. I'd love to know how Tera Blast and Hyper Voice's damage is actually being affected; depending on how the Tera boost applies and whether Pixilate's damage boost applies or not, they could be getting a 1.5x, 1.8x, 2x, or 2.4x multiplier overall. And this is all assuming there's no special math applying like for Terastalized pokemon with Adaptability. (My guess is that Hyper Voice is getting 1.8x and Tera Blast is getting 2x but again, no way to be 100% sure.)

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I want to trade version exclusives over to try and complete the Pokedex. Any advise how to get someone to accomplish this online?

ShadowForce720

I want to trade version exclusives over to try and complete the Pokedex. Any advise how to get someone to accomplish this online?
Wait is it that you have both Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet and your trying to get the version exclusives from one game to another or do you just have Scarlet or Violet and you are just looking for some one to trade?

Because if it’s the former option then you can just use Pokémon Home to transfer your Pokémon from one game to the other. If it’s the later then just go the gen 9 wif-fi center thread on the forms and create a thread and mentioned what your looking to do.

Onyx Tanuki

Wait is it that you have both Pokémon Scarlet and Pokémon Violet and your trying to get the version exclusives from one game to another or do you just have Scarlet or Violet and you are just looking for some one to trade?

Because if it’s the former option then you can just use Pokémon Home to transfer your Pokémon from one game to the other. If it’s the later then just go the gen 9 wif-fi center thread on the forms and create a thread and mentioned what your looking to do.
I don't believe Pokemon HOME is compatible with SV yet, right? So I think if you own both games, the game files between which you wanted to trade have to be on different consoles. Far as I can tell you can't switch one game's save data over to the second Switch via cloud save transfer either (I would assume to prevent players from duping their save files to clone their Pokemon and items).

kamkong

If I'm using Sandwich powers on Eggs (specifically Shiny, Teensy, and Humongo), do I need to use the power before generating the eggs at a picnic to gain the increased chance, or do I generate the eggs, use the sandwich power, and then hatch them with increased odds for the trait I'm using?

Last edited:

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
If I'm using Sandwich powers on Eggs (specifically Shiny, Teensy, and Humongo), do I need to use the power before generating the eggs at a picnic to gain the increased chance, or do I generate the eggs, use the sandwich power, and then hatch them with increased odds for the trait I'm using?
Sandwich powers have zero affect on eggs. Don’t waste your herbs trying to do any egg hunting.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Kind of related to the games so I'm asking here: the news about Home support for SV estimate a release on "spring". So... I assume by "spring season" they mean when it's spring on the US and the rest of North America, correct?

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Kind of related to the games so I'm asking here: the news about Home support for SV estimate a release on "spring". So... I assume by "spring season" they mean when it's spring on the US and the rest of North America, correct?
Also spring in Japan, yes. (Technically, it's spring as defined by the calendar period between late March to late June, as while I live in the Northern Hemisphere, we don't have any actual spring weather here--just a rainy season and a dry season.)

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I’m having some difficulty finding a tree with Applin in it. Is there any location where I can find one easily and more often than other places? I keep looking up in trees and seeing noth8ng.

ShadowForce720

Yes you can find them in the trees of Tagtree Thicket rather easily if you eat a Sandwich that has a Dragon type encounter power preferably one with level 2 or 3 encountering power, but it could potentially work with level 1 encountering power.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Speaking of which, where do I find Petilil? The TMs for Trailblaze and for Energy Ball need the items that they drop when you defeat or catch one, but the best I can find is the fixed encounter with Lilligant to the west-southwest.

Tsukuyomi56

Sky High Knight
Speaking of which, where do I find Petilil? The TMs for Trailblaze and for Energy Ball need the items that they drop when you defeat or catch one, but the best I can find is the fixed encounter with Lilligant to the west-southwest.
Not sure whether the area around the Fairy Team Star Base could help. There are a fair amount of flower patches there where Liligant can spawn (usually as with a group with its pre-evo).

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Not sure whether the area around the Fairy Team Star Base could help. There are a fair amount of flower patches there where Liligant can spawn (usually as with a group with its pre-evo).
Interesting. I ought to try that. I have not seen Lilligant or Petilil spawn there, though the Pokédex does say Lilligant is an exceedingly rare spawn (and Petilil's location data doesn't include that area.)

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
How early on in the game can you capture these Pokemon?:

• Greavard
  • Cetoddle
  • Frigibax
  • Glimmet
  • Maschiff
  • Pawniard
  • Toedscool
  • Finizen
I know nothing is technically stopping me from running across the map and finding these at high levels to capture if I want them early, but it's nice to just catch them at a reasonable level that matches my progression (i.e. following the story events in level order rather than doing whatever whenever). Serebii's interactive map is great but confusing for someone who doesn't really know where anything, so I'm asking here.

Phil Rohan

• Greavard
  • Cetoddle
  • Frigibax
  • Glimmet
  • Maschiff
  • Pawniard
  • Toedscool
  • Finizen
I know nothing is technically stopping me from running across the map and finding these at high levels to capture if I want them early, but it's nice to just catch them at a reasonable level that matches my progression (i.e. following the story events in level order rather than doing whatever whenever). Serebii's interactive map is great but confusing for someone who doesn't really know where anything, so I'm asking here.
Maschiff are in South Province Area Two. Pawniard are in South Province Area Five. The best place to get Toedscool is East Province Area One - you can find them earlier but they're really rare. Finizen are in the sea near Levincia, but you can get them in the shallow water by the beach - you don't need to unlock Koraidon/Miraidon's swimming. Glimmet are in the caves in East Province Area Three, but are very rare. The others are near Glaseado Mountain/Medali. (Of course there's always the possibility of finding them in Tera Raids.)

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

• Greavard
  • Cetoddle
  • Frigibax
  • Glimmet
  • Maschiff
  • Pawniard
  • Toedscool
  • Finizen
I'd like to add that you can find Greavard in South Province Area Six, though they are rare spawns, always accompanied by a Houndstone, and you can't get there until you've defeated all of the Titans, so depending on what you prioritize when you enter an area, you might be able to find Greavard there before Glaseado Mountain.