• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - HELP THREAD [Ask your questions here]

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
Maschiff are in South Province Area Two. Pawniard are in South Province Area Five. The best place to get Toedscool is East Province Area One - you can find them earlier but they're really rare. Finizen are in the sea near Levincia, but you can get them in the shallow water by the beach - you don't need to unlock Koraidon/Miraidon's swimming. Glimmet are in the caves in East Province Area Three, but are very rare. The others are near Glaseado Mountain/Medali. (Of course there's always the possibility of finding them in Tera Raids.)
I'd like to add that you can find Greavard in South Province Area Six, though they are rare spawns, always accompanied by a Houndstone, and you can't get there until you've defeated all of the Titans, so depending on what you prioritize when you enter an area, you might be able to find Greavard there before Glaseado Mountain.
Thank you both for your responses! Was hoping Greavard would be a bit more accessible early on but that doesn't seem to be the case. Will hope for a Tera Raid find or that someone can trade me one when I start playing which should be fine. At least the others seem reasonable (I think, still haven't sussed out how encounters work yet). Thank you both again!

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Thank you both for your responses! Was hoping Greavard would be a bit more accessible early on but that doesn't seem to be the case. Will hope for a Tera Raid find or that someone can trade me one when I start playing which should be fine. At least the others seem reasonable (I think, still haven't sussed out how encounters work yet). Thank you both again!
I can trade you an Egg so it can have your Trainer ID.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Are the paradox pokémon encounters locked by the Area Zero gates? I’m exploring it for the first time now & I’ve only been able to encounter Flutter Mane & Scream Tail after opening gate 3.

I even went to the main locations for pokémon like Roaring Moon or Sandy Shocks but I couldn’t find either of them

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Are the paradox pokémon encounters locked by the Area Zero gates? I’m exploring it for the first time now & I’ve only been able to encounter Flutter Mane & Scream Tail after opening gate 3.

I even went to the main locations for pokémon like Roaring Moon or Sandy Shocks but I couldn’t find either of them
Once you go into the second layer, you'll start finding Great Tusk.

Based on my experiences, Brute Bonnet becomes available once you fight the wild one that approaches your expedition party (and can be found in both the first and second layers). The remaining ones are very rare until you've defeated the final boss and reached the end credits, but you can find them if you're patient enough.

Onyx Tanuki

Ma! There's a weird 'nuki in the yahd!
A couple more raid-related questions for those more experienced than I:

- Do moves like Quash and After You which essentially force the target into a different place in the turn order function like they would in singles or doubles battles?
- Does the move Follow Me work? I know Storm Drain, Lightning Rod, and other similar abilities that attract moves don't, but I'm not sure if that applies only to abilities or to moves as well.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
A couple more raid-related questions for those more experienced than I:

- Do moves like Quash and After You which essentially force the target into a different place in the turn order function like they would in singles or doubles battles?
- Does the move Follow Me work? I know Storm Drain, Lightning Rod, and other similar abilities that attract moves don't, but I'm not sure if that applies only to abilities or to moves as well.
1. To my knowledge, yes, they do change the turn order. Turn order is mostly meaningless in a Tera Raid Battle though, with the exception of moves that disable your Pokémon like Encore or Spore.
2. Follow Me still works, but it won't have an effect on the battle. Storm Drain and Lightning Rod still keep their type immunities and stat boosts, but they don't have their redirection effects. In other words, moves can't be redirected in a Tera Raid Battle, but Ability-derived immunities and their effects still work.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
So... As for passing "then-egg moves" to a pokémon, we no longer need to breed for those, with only the target having a free move slot + a pokémon with the desired move in the same picnic session...

My question is: how long does it take to pass the move? Should I do something, like a sandwich or simply wait? Is there any way to speed things up?

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
So... As for passing "then-egg moves" to a pokémon, we no longer need to breed for those, with only the target having a free move slot + a pokémon with the desired move in the same picnic session...

My question is: how long does it take to pass the move? Should I do something, like a sandwich or simply wait? Is there any way to speed things up?
Technically there is no need to breed for egg/picnic moves. The Pokémon receiving the move needs to have an open move slot and hold the mirror herb. I typically just bring two Pokémon into that picnic (the Pokémon learning the move and the Pokémon “teaching” the move). I run around the picnic table 2-3 times which takes 10-15 seconds and the move has passed to the Pokémon.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
Technically there is no need to breed for egg/picnic moves. The Pokémon receiving the move needs to have an open move slot and hold the mirror herb. I typically just bring two Pokémon into that picnic (the Pokémon learning the move and the Pokémon “teaching” the move). I run around the picnic table 2-3 times which takes 10-15 seconds and the move has passed to the Pokémon.
It's immediate, actually. I've set up a picnic, then canceled it the moment the poofing stops, and the Egg Move shows up.

Morp

New here, sorry if this has already been asked.
Does breeding matter, when it comes to getting good IVs? Or does everyone just use the new Bottle Cap mechanic? Say if I got a Pokemon with Fantastic Stats, and then gave it Bottle Caps to Hypertrain it - does it make a difference, competitively?

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Does breeding matter, when it comes to getting good IVs? Or does everyone just use the new Bottle Cap mechanic? Say if I got a Pokemon with Fantastic Stats, and then gave it Bottle Caps to Hypertrain it - does it make a difference, competitively?
Only thing you would breed IVs for if you need IVs to not be perfect (mostly just Trick Room Pokemon and special attackers, the latter is not too critical). Otherwise Hyper Train is fine to get perfect IVs.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
The end result is the same as if they had perfect Individual Values to begin with. I continue to use a combination of breeding and Hyper Training however. There are two reasons for that: 1) the rate that I acquire Bottle Caps is not fast enough to Hyper Train every team member, as you have to either play a LOT of Tera Raid Battles or acquire a LOT of money; and 2) the more actually perfect IV Pokémon I have, the easier it will be to breed Pokémon for future teams.

Bear in mind that if you were to buy Bottle Caps, it would cost you P100,000 per Pokémon to Hyper Train five stats. You'd make that amount through one iteration of the Academy Ace Tournament (or something close to it at minimum), and it would likely be faster than breeding and hatching via picnics, though you can idle during picnics and do something else in the meantime leaving the Switch somewhere.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Speaking of in-game money, besides the tournament, is there any other fast farming method?

Det. Viper

Speaking of in-game money, besides the tournament, is there any other fast farming method?
I’ll ride around the perimeter of the desert to pick up stardust and star pieces. I’ll also go around that bamboo forest picking up bamboo shoots. It’s not lucrative but it’s the best way besides the tournament. Otherwise I have the first Pokémon in my party hold the amulet coin to get every possible money I deserve.

Onyx Tanuki

Ma! There's a weird 'nuki in the yahd!
I found when I was grinding Chanseys for levels, selling the Happiny Dust from the encounters got me a decent amount of LP. You can pretty easily find them around Ortega's base and in the same cave in Area Zero where you can catch Roaring Moon/Iron Valiant as long as you have Encounter Power: Normal. Even better if you can make a sandwich with Encounter Power: Normal Lv 3 and Item Drop Power: Normal Lv 3, though that'd likely require multiple players adding ingredients, so you'll likely be better off with just Encounter Power Lv 3. It's not the fastest method, but if you're grinding for levels anyway, there's an additional source of income right there.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I'd also like to add that, while you can only do it once a day, the five Team Star Bosses will collectively give you a higher payout than the Academy Ace Tournament unless you happpen to get both Penny and Geeta (both of whom give you more money than the others).

Certain 5- and 6-star Tera Raid Battles will also get you Nuggets, Stardusts, Star Pieces, Big Mushrooms, Balm Mushrooms, and Comet Shards. Ironically, the biweekly 7-star Tera Raid Battles provide lower payouts; they seem to be more oriented around Tera Shards, EXP Candies, and vitamins.

Beloberto

Bug Catcher
The only difference is that IVs can be passed down to offspring, but only the original IV (disregarding if they were Hyper Trained).
So in your example, a pokémon with Fantastic IV that was Hyper Trained to Best IV will pass Fantastic IV to its offspring. So if you planning on having many pokémon with perfect IV, breeding might still pay off "financially" instead of buying Bottle Caps to Hyper Train each one individually.

Diclonius

Trainer
This may be an odd question but can anyone tell me if Pokémon caught from Tera raids have evs already cause the ev berries worked on one of mine.

Det. Viper

This may be an odd question but can anyone tell me if Pokémon caught from Tera raids have evs already cause the ev berries worked on one of mine.
They don’t. The EV berries also raise friendship so that is probably why they worked.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
If you get the message along the line “Pokémon’s stat cannot go lower” when using an EV berry that stat has no EVs (or has been zeroed out of EVs). The other poster already stated they still can be used since they boost friendship.