• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Scarlet/Violet - Recent Happenings Thread

Copley Hill Gym

So I have been trying to shiny hunt an Iron Moth for a whole month. I've made just over 30 fire type sandwiches (oinion, green pepper, two red peppers, hamburger, two herba mystica) and today I finally caught one!

I had five minutes left and...well...my luck has turned because I caught TWO shiny Volcarona. One male and one female.

Which if you think about, means I caught three of related ish species...!

I am now training the shiny male Volcarona as it had better IVs than the other one. Always wanted an excuse to use Volcarona and now I have one - so happy!

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
Since my last post I've actually made a fair bit of progress - Titan Bombirdier, Team Star Segin Squad, Iono and Team Star Schedar Squad have all been defeated, half of my team has evolved and we've done some exploring! Been quite fun to just wander aimlessly around the map picking up berries, items and TMs and seeing what Pokemon appear in certain areas. Everything is so small though! Keep ending up running into multiple of the same species just because I can barely see them. Oh and I also got the Mystery Gift bits - there's some free items to claim and a Palafin, which makes the Pokedex a lot easier (wasn't looking forward to hunting for one in a raid or finding someone to connect with to evolve a Finizen).

Titan Bombirdier was the first boss to be defeated after my last post, and I used Nacli to smack it with, well, Smack Down. Was a close battle as the bird hits pretty damn hard, but we had the powers of Terastallization on our side to give our attacks some extra oomph! We then moved on to Team Star and the Dark base, met "Clive" (genuinely think Clavell is the best character in this game so far) and cleared the grunts out before Giacomo appeared. Tinkatink swept him, saving our Tera for the Starmobile. It hit hard, but Draining Kiss healed more and did more damage. Iono was also pretty easy - Maschiff 2HKOed Wattrel with Bite, my newly evolved Kilowattrel took minimal damage from Bellibolt and 4HKOed with Uproar, Luxio fell to Crocalor's Incinerate and then I unleashed my newly evolved Naclstack against Mismagius - Salt Cure + Smack Down won us that match with no issue.

Mela and Schedar Squad was a tough fight though, as it turns out my team is AWFUL against Numel? I ran with Crocalor, Naclstack and Shroodle (who knew Dig) against the grunts but we actually almost wiped except for Naclstack basically soloing the place. Sadly it couldn't repeat the performance against Mela - whilst Torkoal fell to the Salt Cure + Smack Down combo the Starmobiles are immune to the former's damage over time effect, so I had to swap everyone in intermittently (and watched Crocalor get KOed and Revive'd) before Kilowattrel was able to claim the win. Spooky stuff!

The team is doing pretty well, everyone sees equal use so I'm starting to see who's doing well and who isn't. Luckily the answer to the first question is "everyone" and the answer to the last one is "nobody". Kilowattrel is my stand-out team member so far - the immunity to Ground and Electric is honestly huge in this game, with so many trainers knowing random Ground moves. Maschiff and Shroodle (now Grafaiai) still hit weirdly hard and Intimidate has saved my bacon many times against some tough trainers, Crocalor is the usual reliable starter and Naclstack and Tinkatuff are just solid dependable Pokemon who hit pretty hard and have good bulk/typings to see them through! Didn't know Purifying Salt didn't block Confuse Ray though, that was a shame.

Scarlet Team:
crocalor.png

Rockodile
the Crocalor, Level 28
Lonely Nature | Blaze
Incinerate, Snarl, Ember, Round

shroodle.png

Banksy the Grafaiai, Level 28
Bashful Nature | Pickpocket
Slash, Poison Fang, U-Turn, Dig

nacli.png

Colossus the Naclstack, Level 28
Hardy Nature | Purifying Salts
Smack Down, Mud Shot, Salt Cure, Headbutt

maschiff.png

Fang the Maschiff, Level 28
Mild Nature | Intimidate
Bite, Snarl, Headbutt, Fire Fang

wattrel.png

Stormbird the Kilowattrel, Level 28
Quirky Nature | Volt Absorb
Roost, Uproar, Air Cutter, Electro Ball

tinkatink.png

Menace the Tinkatuff, Level 28
Bashful Nature | Mold Breaker
Draining Kiss, Flash Cannon, Brutal Swing, Rock Smash

Last edited:

Copley Hill Gym

So I caught two shiny flutter mane today using a ridiculous method involving a level 3 ghost sandwich and just being at the bottom of area zero during the day time, and pressing the zl button repeatedly. What even is this XD But I am happy with my two shinies.

Now to shiny hunt for one of the last Paradox forms I haven't caught as a shiny: Brute Bonnet, Sandy Shocks and Roaring Moon. I might leave the latter till last actually...!

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Couldn't get a Calm nature Ditto from the event but at least I got 4 with 6 IVs.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
Since my last posts about the issues I've had with event distributions, Chris02 on the forums was kind enough to trade me both an event Palafin and a Hisuian Zorua bred from his event Zoroark, thank you again Chris! Because the Zorua was level 1 and the game let me give him a nickname, I see some potential to use him as a main team member in a future playthrough.
I've named the Zorua "Montague" after classic ghost story writer Montague Rhodes James, and once we have Pokemon Home support and I've transferred out every Pokemon I want to keep from my current saves, I'll start a new Scarlet playthrough with Montague as a central team member. I've decided I'll use Meowscarada, Armarouge and Combat Breed Tauros again, along with two Pokemon I've never used before: Palafin and Tinkaton. I may need help from someone on the Union Circle thread to evolve a Finizen, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I may also hold back until we know more about the DLC, in case I want to add one of the Momotaro trio to this line-up.

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
So, I had this bug while solo'ing Typhlosion. Was going to pick a move then the boss did the animation. I could see the select action arrow hanging in near the top middle of the screen (which was kind of funny since it almost seems like pointing to the tera hat). It remained there for all the battle.

After doing everything... When it come to the rewards screen, as I was scrolling down, game simply broke and hard-closed. One of the rewards was an ability patch.

Tried using the back-up save but it was stuck on yesterday, so I kept the one I've done before going to the raid.

I eventually managed to win and even got an ability patch but that was a weird good

Anyway, TL;DR: save often and always before entering a raid.

Red and Blue

So while I decided not to bother with the Typhlosion raid I just got a shiny Cyndaquil through a surprise trade. Talk about a consolation prize, lol.

Copley Hill Gym

I had caught a shiny brute bonnet which leaves me with shiny sandy shocks and roaring moon to hunt. Sandy shocks today it is!

EDIT: Sandy shocks down - two shinies caught there! Next one is the don himself, Roaring Moon. I really want this one!

Last edited:

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Caught Chi-Yu the fire fish.

I used a combo of a Eelektross to weaken Chi-Yu *and survive his bounce move) with Thunder Wave, and then a level Scizor with False Swipe. It took a LOT of ultra balls despite being at 1 HP left. Even Timer Balls were useless late into the fight.

Copley Hill Gym

Whilst searching for a shiny Roaring Moon, I came across a shiny Umbreon.

In the second gen of Pokemon, my very first shiny - ever - was an Eevee I evolved into an Umbreon. He was lost to the dreaded battery issues of Pokemon Silver many years ago, but he was recorded in my Pokemon Stadium 2 happily as a saved team.

But that was the last time I had a shiny Umbreon. Literally my favourite Pokemon of all time. Not had him in a working squad for over twenty years.

So obviously I had to abandon my Roaring Moon shiny hunt to catch the Umbreon. And I did, in a Pokeball.

Beyond happy - it’s like welcoming back an old friend. The original Umbreon was named “Darkdude”. Darkdude II perhaps for the new one?

Either way, it was such a lovely moment. Memories of my old friend Mark, and some truly spectacular battles between his Lugia and my Umbreon on Stadium 2. Faint Attack, Toxic, Confuse Ray, Moonlight. Today it’s Foul Play, Thunder Wave, Wish and Confuse ray.

Welcome back old friend.

Last edited:

ebevan91

I found 3 random shinies today in the span of 45 minutes or so. Cetoddle, Toxicroak, and Sneasel.

Copley Hill Gym

So I’ve finally got the last paradox Pokémon as a shiny - roaring moon. What a strange thing it’s been. Hours of making shiny sandwiches, utter frustration at not finding one, then when not even hunting but in the same cave for something else, one turns up!

So I have a full shiny set for paradox pokes for scarlet and violet. Onto the next round of shiny hunting. I need to make a new list…

Last edited:

Pokemon Power

Quick question about the latest Tera Raid Battle event. I managed to catch both Walking Wake and Iron Leaves last time, without the Egg bug. Can I catch seconds in this event?

Phil Rohan

I've now explored both Montenevera and Alfornada for the first time (although I'll be doing more training before I challenge either gym), and I've got my Lucky Egg from Jacq. Annoyingly, the way to move items between party members is more complicated in this game than in previous ones, and I had to Google it to find out how.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Did a 6-star Steel Tera Espeon raid and man, that was a bit hard

Had to use an Armarouge with Mystic Fire and I still had to rely on lucky paralysis from AI teammates

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
Lots of progress since my last post! After beating up Mela I moved on and took down Titan Orthworm with Crocalor, who took very little from Iron Tail and smacked it back hard with Tera-boosted Incinerates. Arven using Toedscool here rather than Scovillain is... a choice, since Mega Drain does little to the worm, who it has Earth Eater to ignore any Ground moves. But we won! The battle even made me low-key like Orthworm, who I initially wrote off as too goofy looking to take seriously. I just like their happy vibes that they display in-game, what can I say?

Moving on from Orthworm I headed to Tagtree Thicket for Team Star Navi Squad's beatdown, before realising that actually Kofu and the fourth gym should've been my next destination? So off to Cascarrafa I went, my team a bit over-levelled once again but I would've been under-levelled for the Team Star fight so better off this way me thinks! Kofu was not much of a challenge - my newly evolved Mabosstiff made quick work of his Veluza, Grafaiai one-shot his Wugtrio and Kilowattrel finally got to Terastallize and one-shot his Crabominable. Our highest level was 32, so only 2-3 levels higher which I figured would be fine. Apparently not. Luckily that Team Star battle I've mentioned a few times was much more of a challenge!

Atticus was a real pain to fight - Kilowattrel had no real issues against Skuntank but Naclstack was almost one-shot by Revavroom's Iron Head, luckily avoiding the flinch to land a Salt Cure. Crocalor swapped in and KOed with Heat Wave after tanking a Bulldoze, before Muk came out. Naclstack was outsped and KOed easily, so Tinkatuff + Kilowattrel swapped in and out to claim a win with Flash Cannon + Volt Switch. Poison Starmobile managed to be weakened by Kilowattrel, Tinkatuff and a revived Naclstack before Crocalor was able to win with Tera + Blaze-boosted Heat Wave. A tough match! All of Team Star have been difficult battles, much more so than the gym leaders and especially the Titans. Wild.

From there I moved onto the 5th gym and Larry, who is absolutely an icon but still not above Clive/Clavell in my eyes! His team was pretty easy to beat - my newly evolved Skeledirge 2HKOed Komala but fell asleep due to Yawn, Mabosstiff won took down Dudunsparce with Crunch but was paralyzed by Glare in the process, and we went bird v bird when Kilowattrel Terastallized against his (also Terastallized) Staraptor in the battle of the No-Longer-Flying-Type-Birds! Thunderbolt 2HKOed, as did Facade, but Kilowattrel is stupidly fast (and big, seriously is anyone else's Kilowattrel really large?) so we came out on top! I then beat up Nemona and her joke of a team in front of her idol, and made my way to Montenevera ready to take on Ryme. And that's it!

TMs have been wild in this game I must admit - a bit of exploring and battling led to me suddenly getting Thunderbolt, Hyper Voice, Poison Jab, Surf, Earthquake, X Scissor and Brave Bird? Yet every so often I get useless rubbish like Confuse Ray? What? I have been holding out hope for Ice Fang or Play Rough TMs for Mabosstiff, and Air Slash for Kilowattrel, but beyond that I'd say my team's movesets are done already. I could make the TMs (and probably will) but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Will do in due course! Not much new to say about my team - very happy everyone is fully evolved now because they're all super badass and cool. Nobody feels weird, everyone is holding their own, it's all good!

Scarlet Team:
crocalor.png

Rockodile
the Skeledirge, Level 41
Lonely Nature | Blaze
Torch Song, Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, Round

shroodle.png

Banksy the Grafaiai, Level 41
Slash, Poison Jab, U-Turn, Low Kick

nacli.png

Colossus the Garganacl, Level 41
Salt Cure, Rock Slide, Earthquake, Recover

maschiff.png

Fang the Mabosstiff, Level 41
Mild Nature | Intimidate
Crunch, Snarl, Trailblaze, Fire Fang

wattrel.png

Stormbird the Kilowattrel, Level 41
Thunderbolt, Brave Bird, Roost, Volt Switch

tinkatink.png

Menace the Tinkaton, Level 41
Gigaton Hammer, Flash Cannon, Play Rough, Brick Break

ShadowForce720

Lots of progress since my last post! After beating up Mela I moved on and took down Titan Orthworm with Crocalor, who took very little from Iron Tail and smacked it back hard with Tera-boosted Incinerates. Arven using Toedscool here rather than Scovillain is... a choice, since Mega Drain does little to the worm, who it has Earth Eater to ignore any Ground moves. But we won! The battle even made me low-key like Orthworm, who I initially wrote off as too goofy looking to take seriously. I just like their happy vibes that they display in-game, what can I say?

Moving on from Orthworm I headed to Tagtree Thicket for Team Star Navi Squad's beatdown, before realising that actually Kofu and the fourth gym should've been my next destination? So off to Cascarrafa I went, my team a bit over-levelled once again but I would've been under-levelled for the Team Star fight so better off this way me thinks! Kofu was not much of a challenge - my newly evolved Mabosstiff made quick work of his Veluza, Grafaiai one-shot his Wugtrio and Kilowattrel finally got to Terastallize and one-shot his Crabominable. Our highest level was 32, so only 2-3 levels higher which I figured would be fine. Apparently not. Luckily that Team Star battle I've mentioned a few times was much more of a challenge!

Atticus was a real pain to fight - Kilowattrel had no real issues against Skuntank but Naclstack was almost one-shot by Revavroom's Iron Head, luckily avoiding the flinch to land a Salt Cure. Crocalor swapped in and KOed with Heat Wave after tanking a Bulldoze, before Muk came out. Naclstack was outsped and KOed easily, so Tinkatuff + Kilowattrel swapped in and out to claim a win with Flash Cannon + Volt Switch. Poison Starmobile managed to be weakened by Kilowattrel, Tinkatuff and a revived Naclstack before Crocalor was able to win with Tera + Blaze-boosted Heat Wave. A tough match! All of Team Star have been difficult battles, much more so than the gym leaders and especially the Titans. Wild.

From there I moved onto the 5th gym and Larry, who is absolutely an icon but still not above Clive/Clavell in my eyes! His team was pretty easy to beat - my newly evolved Skeledirge 2HKOed Komala but fell asleep due to Yawn, Mabosstiff won took down Dudunsparce with Crunch but was paralyzed by Glare in the process, and we went bird v bird when Kilowattrel Terastallized against his (also Terastallized) Staraptor in the battle of the No-Longer-Flying-Type-Birds! Thunderbolt 2HKOed, as did Facade, but Kilowattrel is stupidly fast (and big, seriously is anyone else's Kilowattrel really large?) so we came out on top! I then beat up Nemona and her joke of a team in front of her idol, and made my way to Montenevera ready to take on Ryme. And that's it!

TMs have been wild in this game I must admit - a bit of exploring and battling led to me suddenly getting Thunderbolt, Hyper Voice, Poison Jab, Surf, Earthquake, X Scissor and Brave Bird? Yet every so often I get useless rubbish like Confuse Ray? What? I have been holding out hope for Ice Fang or Play Rough TMs for Mabosstiff, and Air Slash for Kilowattrel, but beyond that I'd say my team's movesets are done already. I could make the TMs (and probably will) but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Will do in due course! Not much new to say about my team - very happy everyone is fully evolved now because they're all super badass and cool. Nobody feels weird, everyone is holding their own, it's all good!

Scarlet Team:
crocalor.png

Rockodile
the Skeledirge, Level 41
Lonely Nature | Blaze
Torch Song, Flamethrower, Shadow Ball, Round

shroodle.png

Banksy the Grafaiai, Level 41
Slash, Poison Jab, U-Turn, Low Kick

nacli.png

Colossus the Garganacl, Level 41
Salt Cure, Rock Slide, Earthquake, Recover

maschiff.png

Fang the Mabosstiff, Level 41
Mild Nature | Intimidate
Crunch, Snarl, Trailblaze, Fire Fang

wattrel.png

Stormbird the Kilowattrel, Level 41
Thunderbolt, Brave Bird, Roost, Volt Switch

tinkatink.png

Menace the Tinkaton, Level 41
Gigaton Hammer, Flash Cannon, Play Rough, Brick Break
Are you running Brave Bird because you haven’t gotten access to Air Cutter or Air Slash yet?

Because while Brave Bird is a strong move, Kilowattrel has a much higher Special Attack then Physical so it would be much better to run Air Slash or Hurricane over Brave Bird plus they don’t have the recoil damage that Brave Bird does.

Alternatively if you don’t have access to Air Slash or Hurricane but do have access to Air Cutter you can use it until you get access to Air Slash or Hurricane.

Hurricane has high base power and has a chance of confusing the opponent but has less PP and lower accuracy then Air Slash and Air Cutter. Also to note using Hurricane in the rain eliminates its accuracy problem.

Air Slash has higher base power and lower pp then Air Cutter but has higher accuracy and lower base power then Hurricane but it also has a chance to cause the opponent to flinch.

Air Cutter has higher pp and lower base power then Air Slash and Hurricane but has a increased critical hit ratio.

Also Air Cutter and Air Slash have the same accuracy as each other.

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
Are you running Brave Bird because you haven’t gotten access to Air Cutter or Air Slash yet?

Because while Brave Bird is a strong move, Kilowattrel has a much higher Special Attack then Physical so it would be much better to run Air Slash or Hurricane over Brave Bird plus they don’t have the recoil damage that Brave Bird does.

Alternatively if you don’t have access to Air Slash or Hurricane but do have access to Air Cutter you can use it until you get access to Air Slash or Hurricane.

Hurricane has high base power and has a chance of confusing the opponent but has less PP and lower accuracy then Air Slash and Air Cutter. Also to note using Hurricane in the rain eliminates its accuracy problem.

Air Slash has higher base power and lower pp then Air Cutter but has higher accuracy and lower base power then Hurricane but it also has a chance to cause the opponent to flinch.

Air Cutter has higher pp and lower base power then Air Slash and Hurricane but has a increased critical hit ratio.

Also Air Cutter and Air Slash have the same accuracy as each other.
My Kilowattrel knew Air Cutter, but I replaced it with Brave Bird. It may have lower Attack but Brave Bird is a 120BP move compared to a 55BP move (albeit one going off of the higher Special Attack stat). It just hits harder. I probably won't teach it Hurricane because I really dislike low-accuracy moves (and 70% is low in my opinion), so I'll hold out for the Air Slash TM but to be honest it may not need it? Brave Bird has been great so far!