• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Sizes That Surprised You

PrismaticPrincessAnna

I'll do my Lilliest
Frosslass. i thought it was tall as Pikachu...then Pokedex data happened O_O; Tall as a human being!

Joltik. I thought it was tall as meowth...Until I saw the episode of Oshawott lost its schalchop XD nya~

Ditto B1tch

Dunsparce. It seems a small Pokemon, but actually it is big (14'11" or 1,5 m). However, in the anime it was designed to be smaller (smaller than Pikachu, which is 1'04" or 0,40 m).

Even Bulbapedia mentions that in the Trivia: In the anime, Dunsparce is usually shown to be much shorter than 5 feet, which is its listed height (or in this case, length) in the games.
It is also shown as much smaller than its listed height in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, being even smaller than Pikachu.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
Furret's height surprised me.

ysmr97

The most deceiving is Meloetta... I was expecting her 2 be at LEAST 4 feet tall! And Linoone is 1'8"!!! But idt that that is when he is on his hind legs...

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
Dunsparce. It seems a small Pokemon, but actually it is big (14'11" or 1,5 m). However, in the anime it was designed to be smaller (smaller than Pikachu, which is 1'04" or 0,40 m).

Even Bulbapedia mentions that in the Trivia: In the anime, Dunsparce is usually shown to be much shorter than 5 feet, which is its listed height (or in this case, length) in the games.
It is also shown as much smaller than its listed height in Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity, being even smaller than Pikachu.
I've always wondered that...It's probably size/graphical limitations...nah, it would've been as big as Enkas (around 6ft)

Furret's height surprised me.

Please explain

FallBird

Honchkrow. For some reason I was imagining it as this big, terrifying bird.
Turns out to come up to, eh, maybe the waist.
And Infernape isn't even four feet tall, and yet in the anime, if I'm not mistaken, isn't it bigger than Ash?

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
No one mentioned Bellossom yet. Bellossom is the sister of Vileplume, and you'd expect Bellossom to be around the same size as Vileplume, maybe a bit smaller, maybe even bigger. But at 1 ft 4 inches, it's not even the size of an Oddish.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
No one mentioned Bellossom yet. Bellossom is the sister of Vileplume, and you'd expect Bellossom to be around the same size as Vileplume, maybe a bit smaller, maybe even bigger. But at 1 ft 4 inches, it's not even the size of an Oddish.

Smaller than Oddish I think...

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I thought the dragon-types were bigger than they actually are. They're bloody short >.>

And the Regis! I definitely thought they'd be bigger... Regirock is barely two inches taller than I am (I'm 5' 5") and Regice is not much taller

SlowPokeBroKing

Future Gym Leader
I think the funniest misconception is when people compare the size of Pokemon to Ash. Ash is not a full grown man. He's ten.

Another thing is some seem to not notice that a Pokemon's height could mean either actual height or it could mean length. I assume it is whichever is more dominant.

Next, we need to think realistically in terms of size. These Pokemon are probably a little bigger than their animal counterparts but there aren't many creatures that are 6 million feet tall which is what everyone assumes is the height of most legendaries for some reason.

Finally, regarding the anime, most seem to think that "This Pokemon is only this tall but is shown to be this big on the show." The heights and weights listed in the Pokedex are confirmed averages. Not every single Pokemon of the same species are the exact same height and weight. This is proven when we see Ash's Krabby/Kingler next to Gary's Krabby/Kingler. Gary's is significantly larger than Ash's.

Spawty

Claimed Golduck!
Seviper's height surprised me. 8'10'' ft tall, oh lawdy.

Also, look at Luvdisc. You'd think it would be around a foot, but it's twice of that. 2'00'' ft tall, wow. It didn't look like that at all in the games, 3D games, or anime.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Roselia. I remember my reaction when I found out that thing was only around 1 foot tall, especially given it was sometimes portrayed in the anime to be coming up to the waist height of an average age Trainer.

This may sound odd, but I was actually somewhat surprised by the size of Uxie, Azelf and Mespirit. Sure, they're commonly viewed as pixies, but I always imagined them to be a bit bigger.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
So I'm not the only one who was surprised about Joltik's size? I thought it was much bigger than it really is. ;080;

It's actually the smallest Pokemon in existence, so no joke there.

But yeah I'm surprised about Dunsparce's size like what most people were saying, especially when it's portrayed as pretty small in the anime and PMD: Gates to Infinity.

And then again I remember my first reaction when checking my Pokedex in Ruby and I saw how massive Wailord is. I felt like an ant when I saw my Trainer sprite's size comparison to it.

Not to mention Bellossom, one of Oddish's final evolutions, being smaller than even Oddish. I mean, what the heck? How can a Pokemon's final evolution be smaller than even its lowest stage?

Also I agree with Bobandbill's post earlier in the thread about Excadrill, I mean I wasn't expecting something around 2 feet tall to have such strong attacks. This mole is pretty pint-sized for something that throws massively strong Earthquakes around lol.

Last edited:

Quilava42

Blazing Flowers
It's actually the smallest Pokemon in existence, so no joke there.

But yeah I'm surprised about Dunsparce's size like what most people were saying, especially when it's portrayed as pretty small in the anime and PMD: Gates to Infinity.

And then again I remember my first reaction when checking my Pokedex in Ruby and I saw how massive Wailord is. I felt like an ant when I saw my Trainer sprite's size comparison to it.

Not to mention Bellossom, one of Oddish's final evolutions, being smaller than even Oddish. I mean, what the heck? How can a Pokemon's final evolution be smaller than even its lowest stage?

Also I agree with Bobandbill's post earlier in the thread about Excadrill, I mean I wasn't expecting something around 2 feet tall to have such strong attacks. This mole is pretty pint-sized for something that throws massively strong Earthquakes around lol.

Then how about Roselia? In Pokemon XD and in Battle Revolution, it's extremely small, but in the anime, not so much. o_O

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Then how about Roselia? In Pokemon XD and in Battle Revolution, it's extremely small, but in the anime, not so much. o_O

I remember playing Ruby for the first time and checked Roselia's data on the Pokedex, you should have seen that I flipped upon learning it was only 1 foot tall. Even more flattering considering that it's shown to come up to Drew's waist in the anime.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
I remember playing Ruby for the first time and checked Roselia's data on the Pokedex, you should have seen that I flipped upon learning it was only 1 foot tall. Even more flattering considering that it's shown to come up to Drew's waist in the anime.

Either the Roselia ir really tall, or Drew is a midget.

I was actually surprised that Samurott and Swampert were both 4'11. I always thought they would be around Charizard's height 5''07