• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon "Sooner" or Latter" versions

Sooner or Latter versions?

• Total voters

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Do you typically pick Pokemon versions that come first when mentioned (Red/Ruby/Diamond/Sword) or later when mentioned (Blue/Sapphire/Pearl/Shield)? When did you deviate?

I usually pick latter versions, but I have picked Heart Gold, Black (1 & 2), and X, though I have the opposite versions as well.

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
Your sooner or latter choices don’t make sense since your pairs all came out simultaneously. Red and Blue came out at the same time, Gold and Silver were released together and so on. Do you mean to pick the originals compared to Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black/White 2, Ultra Sun/Moon?

TwilightBlade

Um I always just pick whichever version has a cooler sounding name and sometimes if I know the version exclusive Pokemon in advance I'll pick the game with the best version exclusives. I remember that I picked Diamond first for that reason. :]

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Your sooner or latter choices don’t make sense since your pairs all came out simultaneously. Red and Blue came out at the same time, Gold and Silver were released together and so on. Do you mean to pick the originals compared to Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, Black/White 2, Ultra Sun/Moon?
I'm saying "sooner" or "latter" in the sense of which Pokemon title is mentioned first or last with the paired release.
For example, when saying "Pokemon Red and Blue" you say "Red" sooner and "Blue" later.
I'm not referring to release date.

@TwilightBlade Which versions do you have the tendency to pick out of those two lists? I was originally planning for Sword, but I picked Shield for exclusives, thus maintaining my normal pattern of choices.

Last edited:

Lacuna

Goodnight
I'm pretty even, because I tend to just pick whichever one I think has the cooler Pokemon on the box art... it's a pretty boring reason, but hey, I like Dialga way better than Palkia. =P I seem to lean a bit more towards the sooner/"Red" versions because of that, but I think the latter/"Blue" versions almost always have the nicer-sounding titles.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I'm pretty even, because I tend to just pick whichever one I think has the cooler Pokemon on the box art... it's a pretty boring reason, but hey, I like Dialga way better than Palkia. =P I seem to lean a bit more towards the sooner/"Red" versions because of that, but I think the latter/"Blue" versions almost always have the nicer-sounding titles.
I hesitated to use the terms "Red" and "Blue" because in the cases of Diamond/Pearl, X/Y, and Sword/Shield, the "sooner" versions have a more bluish hue to them.

Lacuna

Goodnight
I hesitated to use the terms "Red" and "Blue" because in the cases of Diamond/Pearl, X/Y, and Sword/Shield, the "sooner" versions have a more bluish hue to them.
Oh yeah, I totally get what you mean! I've seen people confused by that sometimes. I think the way you described them was fine, it's much clearer that way - I just specified Red/Blue as an example of those names in question. (I guess they could also be referred to as "A" versions and "B" versions, now that I'm thinking about it?)

VoltTacklePikachu

yah Eevee Rocks !
A bit of both I started with the first mentioned in the pairs Ruby,got Red used and FireRed. FireRed when they were released, I just really like Red plus Charizard.

Started to deviate with the release of HG/SS ,getting SS because I liked Lugia on the cover more plus the exclusives I think, then went back to the first mentioned in the pair with Black,Black 2,X, and Sun. The only exception being Alpha Sapphire. Then back to the latter with Shield because of the exclusives. Also Pearl which I only managed to do recently. Overall the first mentioned in the pair mostly so far.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
I typically pick the versions with the red or orange coloring (OR, Y, Sun/US, does Black count?...) as my main save. I use the other version as an alternate. The exception to this was Sword, the first ”blue” version I used as my main. Problem is, I should have picked Shield, since my favorite characters were Shield exclusive. *sigh*

Fred Garvin

Drone Pilot
I tend to pick the less popular version. The reason being, my exclusives will be more valuable or desirable in trade than the version most are buying. Since they're the same game (mainly) the exclusives from the less popular one are easier to trade for the more popular version's exclusives because of the volume of availability. I know this isn't a huge margin, but it is noticeable enough to make a difference.

Leonhart

Imagineer
From what I remember, I typically go with the least popular versions. For instance, I bought Sapphire before Ruby because I liked Kyogre's design and the Aqua-dan (Team Aqua). Ultimately, I think I made the right choice considering that I liked Sapphire's version exclusives a lot more than Ruby's.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I’ve picked every sooner game except for X and Sword. I usually go for the legendary with red association

wobbanut

Team Awesome
With almost every series I've started with the first game listed, except for Black and White 1 and 2. In both cases I started with White first because I preferred their pokemon lists.

Trillion

ruby, diamond, heartgold, b2, omega ruby, let's go pikachu, sword

leafgreen, y, moon, ultra moon

so i usually pick the first title. i didn't have gen 1 or gen 2