• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Spin-Off?

Which character would you make a spin-off of?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Usually when I make a thread it's a somewhat serious and informative topic, but I thought I'd have fun with this one.

If you were to give one character from Pokemon a spin-off, who would it be? And what would it be like?

It doesn't have to be something the writers would ever even think of doing. Think outside the box! Abandon all logic!

Personally, I'd love to see a spin-off with James. He has left Team Rocket and is trying to find a purpose in his life. With his Pokemon at his side, he'll try his hand at various jobs and have a few battles or two along the way, slowly realizing his dream of... whatever he wants to do. Two conditions, however: 1) Eric Stuart is the voice of James and 2) James would have the same wacky personality that he had in the Original Series.

I'd also love to see one on Misty. She was my favorite character, along with Ash, and I'd love to see her fulfill her dream as a Water Pokemon Master. Maybe she herself could challenge the Kanto gyms and win a league, then eventually become a member of the Elite 4. Maybe Tracey could be her partner along the way, as they seem to have a bit of connection in Chronicles (though I am a very strong PokeShipper). Oh, and he would actually do something time. Conditions, once again, would be original voices and same personalities. Well... maybe expand Tracey out a bit. He always was a bit stale...

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Most of those characters don't really have the stamina to lead an entire show by themselves.

Maybe a short 13-ep series or something, but that's it. I seriously cannot imagine any of them being the main character for a 100+ episode series.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Most of those characters don't really have the stamina to lead an entire show by themselves.

Maybe a short 13-ep series or something, but that's it. I seriously cannot imagine any of them being the main character for a 100+ episode series.

Oh CyberCubed, why can't you ever have fun with anything? Abandon all logic. Expand your horizons! Who said it had to be a 100+ episode series anyway? Let it be as long as you want!

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Because what exactly are they going to fill time with?

Misty goes and competes in several water pokemon tournaments....just traveling around, and what happens between each ep? We have fillers again? Does Misty travel solo?

There's a reason Chronicles didn't go on very long, and why each individual character only ever got a handful of eps out of it.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY

Misty goes and competes in several water pokemon tournaments....just traveling around, and what happens between each ep? We have fillers again? Does Misty travel solo?

There's a reason Chronicles didn't go on very long, and why each individual character only ever got a handful of eps out of it.

UGH. Don't overthink it! Just splurt out the first idea that comes to your mind and let your fingers flow on the keyboard with your idea.

And, if you read what I said, Misty could compete in a league and travel with Tracey. The fillers could consist of maybe Misty seeing old characters from the original show, like Sakura. Or she could enter a fishing competition again and meet that kid from Hook, Line, and Stinker! again. I could see it running for one season. It'd be a nice twist.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Technically isn't this just fanfiction then? I've seen people write Misty journey fics before, they never turn out particularly good. Usually Misty becomes a Mary Sue by the end and starts commanding legendaries like Suicune and Kyorge. And then she beats Lorelei in a battle somehow.

We can't have that now, can we?

I am trying to think of a spinoff for a character but I can't see any interesting story lasting beyond maybe 5-8 episodes.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I personally would love to see one with Max. You know him starting his journey, getting his first pokemon, going back for Ralts. He can even start his journey with May and then seperate for her after a few episodes then start is own adventure. He could meet someone to travel along with him. He could go and do gym battles and then compete in the league. I would watch it lol.

Tericarax

Foolish/chosen one
I'd love to see Kasumi again. Plus, a spin-off might show us more about her, and how she's doing whilst Satoshi is "away"...And I wouldn't be against the idea that, in the end of the spin-off she might join Satoshi once again =P

CliveKoopa

What about those Big Town episodes in Chronicles? Those are some good Meowth episodes too. Are those set before Meowth joins Team Rocket. I just wondered as he makes no mention of them and also the Squirtle Squad appears in one of them.

I would like to see more "Legend of Thunder" type spin-offs, which feature brand new characters what have nothing to do with Ash whatsoever.

No. 1 Machop Fan

Max would make a great spin-off character once he starts his journey, because he'll give the show a fresh start.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
If they do a spin-off I'd want them to do something completely different with a new cast. Something along the lines of The Legend of Thunder or the Mystery Dungeon Specials. Actually, I think that Mystery Dungeon would make an awesome short series (26 episodes) if they followed any one of their games Main Series/Anime style.

... but for fun I'll write a short premise for each character:

Misty - Misty dreams of one day resuming her Pokemon Journey. In the meantime she's in charge with day to day operations at Creulean Gym. Every episode in the short series highlights a problem at the gym and how she and her Pokemon resolve it. Misty's sisters soon return to the Gym but their varying degrees of ineptness (Daisy's self absorance, Lily's simplemindedness, and Violet's naivety) make the situation worst. At the end of the mini-series her sisters each agree to run a particular branch of the Gym (Daisy as an operations manager, Lily as the water show producer, and Violet as trainee Gym Leader) and Misty begins planning a journey to an unknown island region.

Brock - After a year of intense study Brock is ready to put his doctorial skills to the test. He is approached by a beautiful young woman, Willomina (the CoTD from Johto with the Marill), to work on her wealthy family's farm. Brock eagerly agrees but soon finds out that things are not as they seem. It becomes obvious that Willomina is completely clueless about raising Pokemon and is only using his knowledge to convince her aging parents to pass their inheirtence to her. When Brock threatens to leave she uses her womanly charms afterwhich he agrees to stay under the condition she learns to love her Pokemon. The end is an (almost) downer ending: Willomina is disowned after " degrading " herself to handling farm Pokemon but Brock's family offers to take her in.

Tracey - Tracey is realizing his dream of becoming Professor Oak's assistant. The only problem is that Tracey takes Oak's job more seriously then Oak himself. Episodes revolve around Professor Oak getting into some Pokemon related " trouble ", Tracey overreacting, and Oak managing to " save " himself proving that Tracey has a lot to learn still. Subplots include visits from other Professors and their assistants and a budding rivaly with Gary Oak. The series works as an extended version of Professor Oak's lecture with each Professor's episode focusing on their speciality. Professor Ivy showcases Form Changes and Gary Oak showcases Fossil Pokemon.

May - May is still out on her own attempting to approve her Contest Techniques and become self dependant. Unfortunately Drew volenteers to travel with her after witnessing her have one close call too many traveling by herself. His collective personality and her brash one clash constantly when it comes to tackling problems on the road. Harley reprises his role as a rival to May while Drew gains a new female rival over Solidad as they head into another season of Pokemon Contests. Like their relationship in Hoenn this is probably the closest the anime is going to come to shipping two main characters. The implication is there, but officially they're just really close friends.

Max - Max is impatiently waiting the day where he can begin his Pokemon Journey. When Ralts comes for -him- he realizes that its starting sooner then expected. In this anime retelling of Pokemon Emerald Max sets out to quickly form a Team that can help him protect Hoenn from the disaster Ralts forsaw in its dreams. Max is joined by a young boy and young girl who reveal themselves to be Latios and Latias respectively. They guide him to the Sky Pillar to awaken Rayquaza just as Magma and Aqua's war comes to a head. At the end Max is dismayed because he must release all of his illegally caught Pokemon ... but one by one his Pokemon appear in Petalburg Town in anticipation of Max's upcoming 10th birthday.

Dawn - We see Dawn switch professions from Pokemon Coordinator to Pokemon Idol. As a model and trendsetter Dawn finds herself conflicted between keeping up her image and keeping up with her Pokemon. All are neglected except for Buneary who becomes Dawn's unofficial mascot over Piplup. Feeling jilted, Piplup forces an increasingly distant Dawn to confront the truth about her profession's effect on her relationship with her friends and Pokemon. Dawn comes to terms with it, but does not let that stop her. Drawing inspiration from a past rival Dawn develops a new modeling trend that showcases a Pokemon's beauty alongside hers.

Meowth - Spoiler'd for dub watchers
[spoil]Meowth is fired for a mission gone wrong. For real this time. Alone and depressed Meowth attempts to make it as a wild Pokemon but finds it difficult to adapt. After one terrible night Meowth goes to sleep and wishes he was in a better place. When he awakens he finds himself in safe on Professor Oak's ranch. It turns out Ash and Pikachu took pity on Meowth. Meowth is touched by their kindness and vows to make the ranch a better place in return ... only Ash's other Pokemon do not trust him. Ash (lead by Bulbasaur) and Gary's (lead by Arcanine) reserve Pokemon are the supporting cast for this mini-series. [/spoil]

Guess I'll ammend this tomorrow.

What about those Big Town episodes in Chronicles? Those are some good Meowth episodes too. Are those set before Meowth joins Team Rocket. I just wondered as he makes no mention of them and also the Squirtle Squad appears in one of them.

I consider the Big Town shorts to be AU since the short they were based on (Pikachu and Pichu) is non-canon.

Then again I think that most of Chronicles is non-canon.

pokemon fan 132

I would go with Misty with spin-off being perfect opportunity to flesh character out more developing his story further.One of plausible and interesting ideas which would focus on Misty journey would be to have her decide to travel with purpose of advancing her own dream of becoming water master.
After all main reason why she returned to gym was out of obligation later staying because of sisters being incompetent not wanting to take care of it anymore,so if one of them becomes responsible or someone else is find for substitute problem with gym would be solved with Misty leaving to advance goal(like Wallace for example did before becoming one of best water trainers in world) making sense.
Although introducing some unknown relative or parent would be even better with purpose being to not only provide substitute but give Misty some good character development finding out more about her past.For example her parents could be highly recognized water trainers with Misty fearing how she isnt good enough to fulfill their expectations being one of deciding factors behind going on her own journey.

Having Misty participate in few water based events which would serve as indication of her goal being advanced along with giving her rival and episodes which focus on pokemon captures,training and character development could work for a season or two being interesting to see.
i could see her getting her own rival like Cilan and Iris did with there being created about 4 to 5 mini competitions which would lead toward one big tournament at end like Whirl Cup was with Misty having to pass this steps to qualify herself for big event.As Whirl Islands showed there exist some water based tasks someone has to enter and pass to come closer toward title of water pokemon master in end getting recognized as water trainer among all other water trainers worldwide.

Another suggestion would be in Misty going on journey trying to become E4 like her idol Lorelei is.Judging by some E4 members being called one type masters(like Lance being labelled as dragon master for example)show how this position has some connections with Misty goal offering loads of unexplored territory through which her character could be taken and developed.

Arc could revolve around some pokemon agent recognizing Misty skills as trainers seeing potential in her to become one day E4.Having her go on journey in company of pokemon agent/Inspector to learn new things and improve battling skills before entering tasks someone would need to fulfill or battling evaluators to be taken in consideration as someone worthy enough to become E4 eventually could be interesting and have enough material to carry on for an arc.Along they way she could meet up with some other older familiar faces like Sakura,Casey etc with some unexpected problems accompanying her on journey.

I dont know about you but if you ask me Misty has enough stamina and potential to carry show for a season.There were many unexplored things in her story on which writers could expand allowing for some significant character development.Like from where some of her fears like bugphobia com from getting insight in past(like we get with Gyarados),what happened with parents,what influenced Misty decision in specializing in one type wanting to become best with them etc.

Her goal of water master provides ton of unused material on which it could be picked up doing something significant out of it.Gaps between competitions could be filled up by adding some rivals to Misty story crating conflicts and room to push character forward.There could be episodes focusing on pokemon training with several Misty pokemon having room to do more with them.Like learning how to control Psyduck powers turning him in actual battler,evolving Horsea,doing something with Starmie along with catching new water types and developing them.

And who say she would travel solo.Aside from some of my above suggestions Misty could travel with some of hr friends for awhile like Tracey for example giving him opportunity to learn something about his backstory getting some good character development effectively "killing 2 birds with on stone".

Of course its not likely that any character would get his own spin-off but purpose of this thread is to have casual fun speculation providing possible ideas.And Misty definitely has untapped potential and unfinished things on which it could expand doing something worthwhile out of it.

Reason is because writers focused too much on characters like Ritchie in who people didnt had much interest instead of investing more in characters which actually has potential.

To An00bis:You have some quite creative and interesting ideas out there.I know i would be interested in watching something like this.

Ioneos

old geezer
Max! he would be a great spin-off character and he isnt 10 yet, so we can watch him start his journey. a short story arc would be great.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I would like to see Dawn have her own spin-off series about her travels through Hoenn if they don't show more specials or she doesn't make an appearance.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
One with Max would be epic

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I could see spin-offs of Ash's past friends in other regions following their goals. I'm surprised Dawn (my fave) is coming second in the poll.

Like, all might meet up together in someplace and pursue their goals (Tracey's Pokemon watching, Misty's goal of Water Pokemon master, Brock being a Pokemon Doctor/Breeder, May and Dawn continuing their contests and Max becoming a Pokemon Trainer).

Status
Not open for further replies.