1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Spin-Off?

Discussion in 'Animé Polls' started by munchlaxboy, Aug 23, 2011.

?

Which character would you make a spin-off of?

1. Misty

9.8%
  2. Brock

5.9%
  3. James

2.0%
  4. Jessie

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Meowth

7.8%
  6. May

9.8%
  7. Max

27.5%
  8. Dawn

13.7%
  9. Tracey

2.0%
  10. Other

21.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haunter ゴースト

Haunter ゴースト Well-Known Member

A Meowth spin off would be funny.

Based after TR disband (if they ever do) with Meowth travelling around with a companion or two, possibly Woobat and Yamask if they were released or two completely new pokemon for the series.

Having a good time, getting into trouble that sort of thing, possibly a minor plot each episode leading to a much bigger finale.

Edit: Keep in mind this is just for the thread, if it was actually made, the writers would probably turn it to **** and everyone would hate it.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  2. I-am-the-peel

I-am-the-peel Justice Forever

Pokemon Chronicles anyone?
    I would either give Gary a spinoff or Paul.
    Gary-Have him do a lot of research and show it to Professor Oak who is proud but notes that Gary is not truly happy and misses battling. He tells Gary to go back to battling and to try and become the viridian city gymleader.
    Paul-Paul takes the battle frontier challenge but is conflicted with his 'emotions' again. He helps his brother in his breeding and begins to accept pokemon more and eventually, he defeats the kanto battle frontier.

3. Blazicken

Blazicken Sex on fire

somehow i'd like to see max's journey
    how he gets his kirlia etc.
    Or paul's would be cool.

4. Masterge77

Masterge77 Floatzel rules!

Not a specific character, but I would love to see a Mystery Dungeon spinoff, not a special, but a complete series, that would be AWESOME!!!

5. Yamato-san

Yamato-san I own the 5th gen

hypothetically, if we do end up with a second Pokemon anime, I think it'd be best to just deviate from the current anime's continuity altogether. I don't think anything good's gonna really come out of focusing on characters we've already met, established within the same light-hearted world, and especially if they go on the same damn Gym quests. In terms of being a derivative work, a second anime has a lot to choose from: spin-off games like Ranger and Mystery Dungeon have gone into their own series and seem different enough from the main RPG series that they could work quite well (though personally, I'd prefer Dungeon as Ranger gets plenty enough showcasing in the current anime). There are also tons and tons of manga, with Special being the most popular (given, it's also based off the games, but the way it follows them is drastically different and much darker than the anime). Though, I also wouldn't mind a ReBURST anime, as aside from being currently-running as of this writing (and thus more likely to be adapted than a manga that has long-since ended), it's gotta probably be the most bizarre and radically different concept for showcasing this monster-based game franchise that's managed to be officially greenlit thus far, while at the same time, it seems to fit right at home with typical shounen action fare. Alternatively, there could be an entirely original Pokemon anime that manages to be totally different from any of the games or manga that've been made up to now.

At any rate, we should probably expect a limited run that only follows the story, maybe some characterization episodes, and nothing more. It'd seem kinda pointless if things dragged out with episodic "focus on a Pokemon" filler when the current anime already does its job of showcasing every individual monster. Also, it's not like an anime not adapting the main RPG series has any reason whatsoever to stretch itself until the next paired versions are released.

6. Demonsead

Demonsead Hoenn Challenger

Pokemon Colliseium/XD:Gale fo Darkness anime staring Wes, Rui, and Micheal.

7. Platinum fan.

Platinum fan. RetiredPokemonMaster

Any of those characters on the list could have their own special spin offs but probably not by themselves. Just lump them together like the Sonic Universe Comics do and you can keep such a large cast updated, everyone gets a free and fair turn and stupid reasons for coming to a region Ash is in won't have to be made. While that is nice I would want a new series with new characters. I realize they can't really do things like have a special with Brendan or Lucas fighting the evil teams of their region because they already did it with Ash (poorly I might add in Aqua/Magma case) but maybe do some anime only villains or something. I just want something new for Pokemon.

8. d4rk_tailed

d4rk_tailed Doritoes,Leaf Storm!

I like your idea of James being given his own show.....................first getting promoted through TR, slowly recognising good ideals and using his higher position to overthrow Giovanni. Then, because he realises how wrong TR are, he gets his Growlithe and with the other Officer Jenny Growlithes overpowers and permanently disbands TR. So he spends the first half of this spin-off series being a double agent with two separate conflicting ideals.

Then, in the second half, he becomes a real trainer of distinguished quality, with Weezing, Cacnea, Growlithe and a Magikarp that he buys from the Magikarp salesman (before he imprisons him). Then Whammo. He becomes the first former criminal and former police officer to become and Elite 4 member.

Then, right at the end of the show...........Ash goes for his final battle, and its not gary motherfu**ing Oak....its Jamesy!!!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  9. MegSuicune251

MegSuicune251 Pokemon's #1 Fan

Max definetely has the most potential for a spin-off! He could be the next Ash, except way smarter lol.

10. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Max getting a few eps as a trainer would be fine, but I don't want a whole series about him.

11. Mystic Flygon

Mystic Flygon Well-Known Member

I would like too see a spin off with one of the PC males again preferably Ruby.

12. Zweihander Nemesis

Zweihander Nemesis Not too old for Poke

Somehow I knew would be higher Dawn would be in the poll, I may be a bit biased since i'm a pearlshipper. But tbh; she had the most material (Besides Max who has the age advantage) for her own spin-off show considering her new job (or internship I forget), and still competing in those contests. It would be interesting to cross over her show with characters who we haven't seen in the anime in awhile. Though I have a feeling i Dawn got her own spin-off it would be marketed torwards females.

Wish I could pick more than one choice, I want to see what Ritchie's journey has been like. Which i'm thinking is Ash solo mode.

and can you imagine Brock as a Pokemon Doctor? I can't help but see Brock in a medical drama.
    Can you imagine a Brock spin off as a Pokemon Medical Drama?
    "A former Pokemon gym leader comes to Pewter City hospital, with barely any medical training but a heart of gold. A lady's man he flirts with the Joys rather than check on his patients but at the ER he's the only thing seperating Pokemon from death and life. Catch Pokemon: BROCK: PEWTER CITY M.D

Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
  13. CyberCubed

CyberCubed Banned

Uh, all the main characters are in the poll, so why wouldn't Dawn be? o_O

Well what exactly would she do? Dawn by herself would be almost exactly the same as she was on the show, just with no Ash or Brock.

She'd compete in Contests with almost the same pokemon and her (dull) rivals would probably follow suit.

14. Zweihander Nemesis

Zweihander Nemesis Not too old for Poke

Sorry typo, on that I meant to say I felt Dawn would be "Higher" in the poll.

I believe it would be focused on contests, and Pokestyling as her future career. But hey, if that's all she got then that's what she will do. I will agree her rivals were kind of boring, but the spin-off gives an opportunity to introduce more rivals, and possibly develop the ones who were already present (Which is needed for sure)

But since Dawn is for the Pokemon contests and Pokestyling it would probably be Pokemon but was just centered on contests instead of battling. Something for female audiences probably.

15. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

I would like to see May, Dawn, or Barry in a spin-off

16. GetOutOfBox

GetOutOfBox Original Series Fan

I have to agree with CyberCubed. Most of the secondary characters on the show exist simply to prop up Ash on his travels, they themselves would not be interesting starring alone. Characters like Dawn, May, Misty, etc would probably just turn into female Ash clones, journeying to different regions to battle Gym Leaders.

Tracey could potentially have been interesting if he wasn't so annoying.

Brock is useless as a solo character. He exists solely to fill the mentor archetype for Ash. Alone, he would be boring.

Basically, most characters on the show simply aren't interesting enough for a full on spin-off series just for them. What would be cool is a short side-series like they did for Jessy and James (I recall about 6 or 10 episodes dedicated to them, though I forget what the spin-off was called, or if it was a part of a main series), but anything longer than that would be too long.

17. pokemon fan 132

pokemon fan 132 Well-Known Member

Depends for who,because personally i would be interested in seeing continuation of this character stories and their journeys.It would also provide opportunity to learn more about their past,relatives and motivation behind some of their decisions bringing some quality character development and update about them.
    It all depends in what way writers would have things play out.

It would be nice seeing Max starting out his own journey and receiving first pokemon.May and Dawn are coordinators already so i doubt they would be similar to Ash since thy would do contests and i think they have enough stamina to carry on adventures for some mini arc .Just give them interesting rivalries,some clashes and development and you have working combination.
    I was always interested in hearing some update about May and how sh went at Johto Grand Festival.Last time we saw her in Wallace Cup she had pretty strong team and improved coordinating skills dramatically so i wouldnt be too surprised if she manage to win it.Not to mention Drew and Harley are among my top favorite rivals and by giving her some specials would provide opportunity to see them again and how is rivalry between them and May working out.

Same for Misty she definitely has many unexplored things in story and unused potential with not much being known about her goal of becoming water master for example.This leaves ample room to take it in various directions like breaking new grounds since Whirl Cup by introducing some other tasks she would need to pass and it would be pretty cool if she received her own rival(that girl Marina from OI was perfect candidate but alas it didnt happened).
    For all we know her dream could involve becoming E4 and seeing her training and entering tasks or battling evaluators to determine if she has required knowledge and skills would be pretty interesting imo.Seeing how she idolizes Lorelei having Misty become her apprentice would make sense too.
    It would also shed up some light on how someone can become E4(something which anime left rather uncleared).

I agree how having it going for 100+episodes would be way too long but i think some mini arc consisted of 30 to 40 episodes at max could have worked for this characters and be interesting.
    At least in my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  18. Remmie

Remmie Here I go!

I second this! I`m not a member of Dawn`s club for nothing! Dawn`s rules! Don`t start a fight with me telling that if I would be one, my avatar would a picture of her and not Iris. I`m a huge fan to both. So no fighting! Same goes for you Cybercubed.

19. JennaJayfeather

JennaJayfeather jflkdjkfgjafgaf

Ah!! Here we go!! I needed this. BUT NOOOOO I DIDN'T SEE THE MEoWTH BUTTON!!!!! Well.....he's co-star anyways.

My totally cracky spin-off would be a Dento and Meowth Detective show. It'd go something like this (but add Meowth into the mix):

He leaned back, feeling the grooves of the concrete building etch against his spine. Tipping his hat with the utmost fashion, he eyed the newspaper he held in hand. Stolen! Special Pokemon Yorterri! it read. He brushed his hand smoothly against the coarse black and white paper. His eyes lit up, a small smirk curved on his lips. It looked like he was back in business after all.

That was actually to a fanfiction I'm writing, but it has the same basic idea for my Dent/Meowth Detective show but actually this has given me ideas >:3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.