• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Sun/Moon possibilities discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Pikipek is a normal/flying, Grass/Flying, or pure flying type then there won't be enough of a difference, in order for what you say to work Pikipek can't wind up staying a normal/flying type or becoming a pure flying type or becoming a Grass/flying type.

The reason why Talonflame and Hawlucha are so different is because ones a Fire type and ones a fighting type.

And Rowlet is Grass and Pikipek is Normal.

ShadowForce720

Normal is not different enough from Grass, there won't be enough difference between there move pools to prevent Pikipek from getting overshadowed considering Rowlet will be able to learn practically the same moves Pikipek can plus more. Especially since it's common for pokemon of other types to learn Normal type moves.

dman_dustin

Just curious about some people's reasoning, i see what you mean about how Rowlett would overshadow Pikipek unless their evolutions will differ them by a lot. Maybe since Pikipek has skill link as an ability it will learn rock blast. It may not make it differ in how they could be used by a lot but its something.

I suppose if Pikipek is treated like Gliscor just with different moves, I can kind of see how it MIGHT work on Ash's team.

But even with Skill Link, if we're looking at something like Bullet Seed for example, I feel like that would take away from Rowlet.

But I'm either or here, Either Ash gets Litten and Pikipek OR Ash gets Rowlet and something else.

Unfezant was the only normal and ONLY flying Pokemon on Ash's Unova Team, and Look at how that turned out. That'll likely be how Pikipek will be treated if its caught alongside Rowlet especially since starter > non starter.

Normal is not different enough from Grass, there won't be enough difference between there move pools to prevent Pikipek from getting overshadowed considering Rowlet will be able to learn practically the same moves Pikipek can plus more.

Every type is different. That's why we have different types -_-

Rowlet probably won't learn beak moves due to having a short rounded one, whereas Pikipek almost certainly will, already having peck.

Rowlet has natural projectiles, and thus may focus on projectiles. Pikipek may focus on melee.

Simple as.

ShadowForce720

Rowlet probably won't learn beak moves due to having a short rounded one, whereas Pikipek almost certainly will, already having peck.

Rowlet has natural projectiles, and thus may focus on projectiles. Pikipek may focus on melee.

Simple as.

Uh no , considering Piplup had a similar shaped beck to Rowlet and it was able to learn Beak moves. Also you don't seem to get it, it is pretty common for Normal type moves to be learned by pokemon of other types. Plus considering it is specifically mention that Rowlet has powerful kicks there is no reason to think that Rowlet would be restrict to projectiles or melee. For them to be different enough either Rowlet would have to lose it's flying typing or Pikipek has to evolve into something other then Normal/Flying, Grass/Flying, or Pure Flying otherwise Pikipek will get overshadowed.

Now if Rowlet replaces it's Flying typing with Ground or if Pikipek evolves into something other then a Normal/Flying, Grass/Flying, or Pure Flying type then they would be able to be on the same team without Rowlet overshadowing Pikipek.

Last edited:

Dephender

Gizakawayusu
Staff member
What about Red and Leaf?

Red and Green were never named in their original games. Gold and Silver referred to them by those names because it was the closest to anything resembling names they had, I guess? The point is for you to make the connection to "the player character and the rival from the original games", so G/S just making up some new names for them nobody had ever heard before, like Bob and Joe, wouldn't really have carried the same idea.

"Leaf" is a fanon name for a character that has never been named in any game.

Uh no , considering Piplup had a similar shaped beck to Rowlet and it was able to learn Beak moves. Also you don't seem to get it, it is pretty common for Normal type moves to be learned by pokemon of other types. Plus considering it is specifically mention that Rowlet has powerful kicks there is no reason to think that Rowlet would be restrict to projectiles or melee.

Piplup's beak is slightly more protruding, and more even than Rowlet's mostly upper beak-beak.

Rowlet's Grass-Type can stop it from learning Nornal-Type moves, also, you're acting like all Normal-Type moves are the same and can't offer variety.

I didn't say it'll be restricted to it? I was just pointing out ways they can be differed, which you said there barely is any of.

Also we literally know next to nothing about them lol, stop acting like they can't be different.

dman_dustin

Simple as.

That doesn't mean they're going to be different.

Because you're ignoring that Hawlucha has direct fighting type moves and uses it's body parts as weapon.

But Talonflame uses assortment of attacks, ONE it uses its wings, it sets its body ablaze, or is responsible for a very powerful flying type.

And you also forget that Pikipek is ALSO about projectiles as well. It's entry on the website specifically states "Pikipek will attack distant opponents by zipping seeds at them. These shots have enough strength to embed the seeds in tree trunks." Which means it as well can attack using projectiles.

IT"S NOT different ENOUGH type wise, nor is it different enough battle style wise to justify its placement on Ash's team with Rowlet, it'll be completely OVERSHADOWED.

It's not that we don't want Rowlet on Ash's team, it's not that we don't want Pikipek on Ash's team, until its confirmed Pikipek evolves into a completely different type when it evolves, we just DON'T WANT BOTH on the same team because IT WILL be OVERSHADOWED. And if any Pokemon would be overshadowed on Ash's Alola team, I would much prefer a more unique Pokemon. A different type completely as well as a completely animal classification. I'd rather Ash with Nekkola or Yungoos as a normal type for Ash than Pikipek at this MOMENT in time.

That doesn't mean they're going to be different.

Because you're ignoring that Hawlucha has direct fighting type moves and uses it's body parts as weapon.

But Talonflame uses assortment of attacks, ONE it uses its wings, it sets its body ablaze, or is responsible for a very powerful flying type.

And you also forget that Pikipek is ALSO about projectiles as well. It's entry on the website specifically states "Pikipek will attack distant opponents by zipping seeds at them. These shots have enough strength to embed the seeds in tree trunks." Which means it as well can attack using projectiles.

IT"S NOT different ENOUGH type wise, nor is it different enough battle style wise to justify its placement on Ash's team with Rowlet, it'll be completely OVERSHADOWED.

It's not that we don't want Rowlet on Ash's team, it's not that we don't want Pikipek on Ash's team, until its confirmed Pikipek evolves into a completely different type when it evolves, we just DON'T WANT BOTH on the same team because IT WILL be OVERSHADOWED. And if any Pokemon would be overshadowed on Ash's Alola team, I would much prefer a more unique Pokemon. A different type completely as well as a completely animal classification. I'd rather Ash with Nekkola or Yungoos as a normal type for Ash than Pikipek at this MOMENT in time.

We KNOW nothing ABOUT them, HOW about we WAIT for the GAMES to COME OUT?

ShadowForce720

Piplup's beak is slightly more protruding, and more even than Rowlet's mostly upper beak-beak.

Rowlet's Grass-Type can stop it from learning Nornal-Type moves, also, you're acting like all Normal-Type moves are the same and can't offer variety.

I didn't say it'll be restricted to it? I was just pointing out ways they can be differed, which you said there barely is any of.

Also we literally know next to nothing about them lol, stop acting like they can't be different.

Except no it doesn't just like how Talonflame's Fire typing did not really prevent it from keeping a Normal type move. Also there is no reason to believe that Rowlet wouldn't be able to use peck or another beak move. The problem is if Pikipek is becomes a Normal/Flying, pure flying, or grass/flying type then it's not going to be different enough.

We KNOW nothing ABOUT them, HOW about we WAIT for the GAMES to COME OUT?

What were SAYING is that if Pikipek evolves into Normal/Flying, Pure Flying, or Grass/Flying type then it's not going to be different enough from Rowlet to prevent Rowlet form overshadowing it, however if Pikipek becomes say like a Steel, Ice, or Fairy type to name a few then there won't be a problem.

Last edited:
Except no it doesn't just like how Talonflame's Fire typing did not really prevent it from keeping a Normal type move. Also there is no reason to believe that Rowlet wouldn't be able to use peck or another beak move. The problem is if Pikipek is becomes a Normal/Flying, pure flying, or grass/flying type then it's not going to be different enough.

The key word is can, mate.

Do you realise how ridiculously easy it'd be just to give them different movepools? It's that simple.

ShadowForce720

The key word is can, mate.

Do you realise how ridiculously easy it'd be just to give them different movepools? It's that simple.

Not if Pikipek stays Normal/Flying, or becomes pure flying, or grass/flying then no it won't have enough of a difference. However if it's becomes say like Steel/Flying, Ice/Flying or Fairy/Flying then there would be enough of a difference. The point were trying to make is that me and Dman do not want to see Pikipek get overshadowed by Rowlet which would happen if Pikipek winds up evolving into Normal/Flying, Pure Flying, or Grass/Flying. However if it becomes a type like Steel/Flying, Ice/Flying, or Fairy/Flying to name a few then it will have enough difference to prevent itself from being overshadowed by Rowlet.

If Pikipek becomes changes it's normal typing to Steel, Fire, Fighting, Fairy, Dragon, Bug, Dark, Ghost, Ice, Ground, Rock, Water, Psychic, Poison, Electric then I won't have a problem with it being on the same team as Rowlet since it wouldn't be overshadowed then by Rowlet.

Last edited:
Not if Pikipek stays Normal/Flying, or becomes pure flying, or grass/flying then no it won't have enough of a difference. However if it's becomes say like Steel/Flying, Ice/Flying or Fairy/Flying then there would be enough of a difference. The point were trying to make is that me and Dman do not want to see Pikipek get overshadowed by Rowlet which would happen if Pikipek winds up evolving into Normal/Flying, Pure Flying, or Grass/Flying. However if it becomes a type like Steel/Flying, Ice/Flying, or Fairy/Flying to name a few then it will have enough difference to prevent itself from being overshadowed by Rowlet.

You're acting like a different movepool wouldn't make a difference, which it very obviously would.

ShadowForce720

You're acting like a different movepool wouldn't make a difference, which it very obviously would.

No, what I'm saying is that if Pikipek becomes Normal/Flying, Grass/Flying or Pure Flying then the problem is Rowlet can learn the same moves and more then Pikipek, and then Pikipek will get overshadowed by Rowlet, however if Pikipek becomes say like Ice/Flying then the moves pools will be different enough to where Pikipek will be able to learn a lot of moves that Rowlet can't learn.

No, what I'm saying is that if Pikipek becomes Normal/Flying, Grass/Flying or Pure Flying then the problem is Rowlet can learn the same moves and more then Pikipek, and then Pikipek will get overshadowed by Rowlet, however if Pikipek becomes say like Ice/Flying then the moves pools will be different enough to where Pikipek will be able to learn a lot of moves that Rowlet can't learn.

Pikipek is most likely going to learn moves Rowlet can't anyway, even as a Normal/Flying-Type.

ShadowForce720

Pikipek is most likely going to learn moves Rowlet can't anyway, even as a Normal/Flying-Type.

The problem is that there won't be enough of a difference since a lot of Pikipek Normal type moves will also be learned by Rowlet.

Again If Pikipek becomes changes it's normal typing to Steel, Fire, Fighting, Fairy, Dragon, Bug, Dark, Ghost, Ice, Ground, Rock, Water, Psychic, Poison, Electric then I won't have a problem with it being on the same team as Rowlet since it wouldn't be overshadowed then by Rowlet.

The problem with Normal/Flying isn't it's not going to make Pikipek different enough and then Pikipek winds up getting overshadowed by Rowlet and then people will start bash Pikipek saying it's a weaker version of Rowlet and why is it even on the team since we will wind up seeing Rowlet more as Rowlet will pretty much be able to do everythning Pikipek can and more. Where as if Pikipek where to become say like a Steel/Flying type then it's going to have enough of a difference that will prevent it from being overshadowed.

Last edited:
The problem is that there won't be enough of a difference since a lot of Pikipek Normal type moves will also be learned by Rowlet.

Again If Pikipek becomes changes it's normal typing to Steel, Fire, Fighting, Fairy, Dragon, Bug, Dark, Ghost, Ice, Ground, Rock, Water, Psychic, Poison, Electric then I won't have a problem with it being on the same team as Rowlet since it wouldn't be overshadowed then by Rowlet.

You don't know that, we literally only know Rowlet gets Leafage and Pikipek gets Peck.

ShadowForce720

You don't know that, we literally only know Rowlet gets Leafage and Pikipek gets Peck.

Chances are Rowlet will most likely get Peck as well. So basically you wind up with a case of Rowlet having Leafage and Peck and Pikipek with Peck, so explain to me why you would need both. It's not rocket science to figure out that Rowlet's most likely going to get Peck as well. Also it's chances are Rowlet will considering if you look at the previous birds they tend to be able to learn a lot of the same moves as each other.

If Pikipek becomes changes it's normal typing to Steel, Fire, Fighting, Fairy, Dragon, Bug, Dark, Ghost, Ice, Ground, Rock, Water, Psychic, Poison, Electric then I won't have a problem with it being on the same team as Rowlet since it wouldn't be overshadowed then by Rowlet.

What I don't want is Pikipek to be shafted early on in favor of Rowlet, and it doesn't really help Pikipek's case that the previous birds on Ash's team before Talonflame weren't really able to get any wins before they evolve. Which this would be problematic for Pikipek because it's going to be trying to compete with the Grass type starter so it needs something more then a Normal typing to help it stand out.

I mean heck the Fire typing and Fighting typing has done wonders for Talonflame and Hawlucha since it brought more attention to them and they were able to participate in a lot more gym battles and Hawlucha even got to participate in some other battles as well.

Of course it's not as much of an issue if Ash doesn't get Rowlet, I just don't want Pikipek to get overshadowed by Rowlet and I especially don't want it to get the Unfezant treatment where we rarely see it.

Anyway does anyone here think that Grubbin might have a branch evolution like maybe it could have a choice between evolving into a Bug/Ground type or a Bug/Electric type?

Last edited:
Chances are Rowlet will most likely get Peck as well. So basically you wind up with a case of Rowlet having Leafage and Peck and Pikipek with Peck, so explain to me why you would need both. It's not rocket science to figure out that Rowlet's most likely going to get Peck as well

Then give one of them Gust, Wing Attack or even Aerial Ace! It isn't rocket science! Rowlet's most likely getting Gust or Wing Attack due to its wings being emphasised, not its beak, which is blunt and round.

Also it's chances are Rowlet will considering if you look at the previous birds they tend to be able to learn a lot of the same moves as each other. by by Rowlet and I especially don't want it to get the Unfezant treatment where we ra

Rowlet isn't a regional bird though? It's moveset is most likely going to have a few common moves-as every other freaking Pokémon of the same type does, FYI-but completely differing due to one being Grass-Type and the other not being Grass-Type. Your problem is, you're comparing regional birds, who all have the same type except Talonflame, not regional birds and then other, non-normal birds.

Also, Normal-Type still makes it unique. It has different weaknesses than Rowlet, meaning usage in different scenarios.

And if you honestly think Rowlet and Pikipek are going to have extremely similar move sets... Pfft.

Status
Not open for further replies.