• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Sun/Moon possibilities discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
If it is true as the starter should always appear "together" on the screen, butnot I like the option of the "third" companion (since the girl is always the second in importance) have a starter that will be wasted, either using humorous gag (Chespin of Clemont, neither evolved siqueira) or relieve a role of being alone background fill (such as Mudkip Brock)

Then in that case, maybe its best to give Ash two starters. Torterra and Infernape were treated pretty good through Sinnoh and both reached the final forms. I would also say give the girl two starters but I guess it all depends on what the goal could be. Maybe one starter is enough for her.

MattySadler

I'd like to see Ash at least getting Rowlet and Popplio. I don't really think Litten looks like a "main character's Pokemon" at the moment, but we'll see.

pokemon fan 132

Saw new trailer and starters. Given how we have now official confirmation of S&M being based on Hawaii, im kinda expecting more innovation in outfits main cast for 7th generation would wear. Because admittedly seeing Ash in more easy going, casual clothes would be something fresh and different. Needless to say appropriate too for tropical environment like now called Alola region.

Out of all starters Rowlet takes first place for me. Its definitely cute looking little owl and abit unusual design for grass specie. If anything this pokemon could be owl based pokemon done right. Unlike poor Noctowl who never had chance to be properly fleshed out and put to greater use. Hoped for it return and more redemption, but I guess that idea can be forgotten.

As for potential new characters if it was me either current Kalos characters would stay or some of familiar faces from past would return for continuation of their stories,. I would take anyone honestly, because all of them have potential and unfinished things to make for compelling sequel. Beside we haven't saw some of them for a really long time wishing to have them revived and be of some importance in this upcoming in many ways peculiar generation.

Because im tired and sick of this repetitive rollercoaster of new characters joining in, being dumped like trash after 3 to 4 years never to be seen or heard from again. Defeats point of having them around if all build up and their relevance will fade away and be interrupted.

If that indeed happens, then I'll drop the anime for good. Barely survived BW and I'm not going to deal with her again for three or so years. So I pray to the Tiki deities that she will get a little cameo at most before going to Johto, the region where characters go and never return.

Johto at this point can be considered graveyard for older main characters. Given how they're treated as basically dead once they leave main cast.

Only Tracey, Max and Misty didn't end up there. But its not like this plays factor in anything, since they are buried in past as well.

Making you ask yourself what was their point in first place if were never gonna see them again, how far they came and make some use of build up started about them to begin with?
Like its case with other long running anime where main characters remain existing in some capacity until end.

The only problem with this is that this is the pokemon anime in which Ash is still the main protagonist. And in this case everything Ash did and will do is the main plotline of the whole anime and the whole gym quest and battles are the main substance of the whole series. If we are talking about other things, then I can't see why XY is more worse than the other series. Serena had an actual than Misty and Iris and got much character development, Clemont is as useless as other male sidekicks but instead had an arc dedicated to him etc. Plus the whole Ash gym quest with many considering the battles to be really good. I can't see XY being worse than the whole OS (Kanto+Johto) and BW series and parts of AG. But hey my opinion.

Battles and animation isn't everything, let alone nearly enough for me to consider anime series to be great. As far as group chemistry, character personalities and build up on interactions between them goes. Humor, conflict and creativity of storyline brought to adventure itself.

Im sorry to say but OS and Hoenn were far better for me.
Misty may have received less focus on her goal, but again she developed and changed in personality aspect as she coped with her fears, insecurities and view toward other things compared to her debut far more than Serena did. And same applies to May.

She had bigger depth to her personality, lot of unique quirks, coming around as tough, headstrong character who knew how to battle, move story forward and stand up for herelf. Alongside having more fleshed out part and in reality more unique dreams.

Which to big extent applies to May too who had so far best rivals ever. But even Iris viewing her as generally more entertaining character than Serena(not like I have anything against her character, but shes not my cup of tea at all).

Most of all I fail to see how exactly secondary male companions are ueless? Not everyone need big arcs dedicated to himself, lot of turmoils and emotional growth to be considered valuable character.

Brock, Cilan, Clemont. All of them delivered humor and lot of flavor to overall atmosphere of journey through their unique characteristics, hobbies and stability they brought to group. In helping glue together better main cast dynamic and carry out on their shoulders logistic support. Being either mentors and caretakers for others or someone on who other characters could bounce of in keeping story feel more fluid. Thanks to their expertize, skills, professions etc.

Sidagam

I'm kind of holding off judgement on which starter I want Ash to catch until I see their final forms, although Rowlet would eliminate his need to catch the regional bird

Please don't have him catch all 3 starters. 2 at most but never all 3. Pikachu, Rowlet, and one of the other starters leaves room for 3 potentially interesting captures, or 4 if he only catches Rowlet

dman_dustin

I'd like to see Ash at least getting Rowlet and Popplio. I don't really think Litten looks like a "main character's Pokemon" at the moment, but we'll see.

Actually Litten makes the most sense with Ash.

Popplio is an entertainer Pokemon so it would suit better for contests or Pokemon performances, and since Popplio will never be able to compete with Greninja, plus with Greninja TOO soon for Popplio to be on Ash's team as his ace.

Rowlet seems too basic and unusual to give to Ash, and while it would make sense with "Noctowl" I can't imagine it having high quality evolutions that would make it the ace of Ash's Alola team.

Now Litten. The Fire cat Pokemon likely inspired by a volcano, keep the theme throughout the evolutions, and then we have something that can EASILY be the ace of Ash's Alola team, especially if it has bipedal evolutions.

This isn't like Fennekin where Fennekin was clearly a feminine Pokemon, so that's why Serena got it.

Litten looks like a boy's Pokemon (in comparison to THAT grass owl and Sea Lion), for the young man to have, so quite the opposite of Fennekin. It's the Treecko/Chimchar/Froakie of 7th generation

I'm kind of holding off judgement on which starter I want Ash to catch until I see their final forms, although Rowlet would eliminate his need to catch the regional bird

Please don't have him catch all 3 starters. 2 at most but never all 3. Pikachu, Rowlet, and one of the other starters leaves room for 3 potentially interesting captures, or 4 if he only catches Rowlet

I don't know, Ash not having a consistently full team in 6th generation leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

If Ash caught all starters PLUS Pikachu. Ash could easily have 2 random Pokemon and he doesn't need to have the regional bird Pokemon. Or maybe even 3 random Pokemon if Ash possibly sends a Pokemon to train.

Last edited:

World Turtle

I also hope Ash gets Litten and like the idea of Litten becoming Fire/Rock as it evolves and its fur coat changing into obsidian.

While I want Ash to get two Starters this time around, Litten is the only one I'm 100% behind Ash getting. As for Popplio and Rowlet I'll be fine with either. It really depends on how the rest of the Generation turns out.

Hero of Truth

Lillie Fan
Given how Ash never got a Grass type in XY, watch as he gets a Rowlet that will also double as his region bird, eliminating another pattern (catching the regional bird)

Boy, would I love for that to happen.

Ilikepiex7

I also hope Ash gets Litten and like the idea of Litten becoming Fire/Rock as it evolves and its fur coat changing into obsidian.

While I want Ash to get two Starters this time around, Litten is the only one I'm 100% behind Ash getting. As for Popplio and Rowlet I'll be fine with either. It really depends on how the rest of the Generation turns out.

pretty sure most people wouldn't want Litten to gain a rock typing that x4 weakness to both ground and water too much to overcome. The popular theories for second types for Litten's evolved forms appear to be poison and dark.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
Also, since it seems like a lot of the inhabitants from the Alola region have darker skin I wonder if they'll use one of the last two options for the new girl.
[IMG139]http://cdn.idigitaltimes.com/sites/idigitaltimes.com/files/styles/image_embed/public/2016/05/10/gen7customization-pokemon-sun-moon.JPG[/IMG139]

I would love the second to last option for the female protagonist. The skin tone and everything just seems to look more natural on her. Then she can have that Popplio thing and do some kind of performance-based goal that, dear god please, has a battle portion too..

I feel that if Ash was to get all three starters, they'd have a better evo chance due to the fact that Rowlet could take up the 'bird' slot.

But then again we're literally in the middle of a region where Ash has three Flying-Types \('-')/

I'm thinking he'll get two starters though, since he's only done that once and Sun/Moon is the New Diamond/Pearl

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
although Rowlet would eliminate his need to catch the regional bird
watch as he gets a Rowlet that will also double as his region bird, eliminating another pattern (catching the regional bird)
This all depends on what type of a Pokemon is Rowlet's in terms of its power.

Remember that usually the main Regional Bird pokemon that Ash gets tend to be really fast and quick.

So, if Rowlet and its evolution's turn out not to be Speed based in nature, the possibility of Ash getting the Regional Bird would still remain.

ShinyCharyZard

Too old for your rubbish..
This all depends on what type of a Pokemon is Rowlet's in terms of its power.

Remember that usually the main Regional Bird pokemon that Ash gets tend to be really fast and quick.

So, if Rowlet and its evolution's turn out not to be Speed based in nature, the possibility of Ash getting the Regional Bird would still remain.

He did have an owl before though, so if Rowlet evolves into some form of big majestic adult owl then it'd be just fine, since Noctowl proved itself to be useful enough over the years..

ssquaderi

On the line of Noctowl, I wonder if the writers wanna shake things up and give him a shiny starter, would certainly be interesting, also, starting to wonder what their shiny forms look like.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Given how Ash never got a Grass type in XY, watch as he gets a Rowlet that will also double as his region bird, eliminating another pattern (catching the regional bird)

Boy, would I love for that to happen.

Or we get another region of it being skipped. He had the Grass in every region except for Kalos and I loved it, except for the fact he DIDN'T catch a Grass type that wasn't a starter to take up the Grass role. I want to see that happen this time.

And it's about time they give the Grass starter to the female as her starter. (Popplio too, I don't really care honestly as long as Ash isn't the one stuck with this thing)

phanpycross

God-king
Eh, Im fully prepared for Rowlet to sit out of Ash's team, in favor of both Litten and Popplio. I also wouldnt be surprised if Popplio stuck around being unevolved for the entire saga, and Litten being given 99% of the focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.