• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Sun/Moon possibilities discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

potat_lasaro

I'm kind of alive
So, well, I'm on Team Game art because those sheets are not like what we got in the past for character concepts for the anime.

If we look back at OS, DP & BW (couldn't find Johto or AG) for its shown concept art for the character designs it shows that it isn't drawn like that at all. Granted, I'm not 100% sure how entire concept art works, just basing this off of the sheet I've seen in the past so sorry if this is wrong.

concept art.jpg

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
So, well, I'm on Team Game art because those sheets are not like what we got in the past for character concepts for the anime.

If we look back at OS, DP & BW (couldn't find Johto or AG) for its shown concept art for the character designs it shows that it isn't drawn like that at all. Granted, I'm not 100% sure how entire concept art works, just basing this off of the sheet I've seen in the past so sorry if this is wrong.

View attachment 16021

If it isn't then I hope we at least get something like those concept arts for Sun and Moon next week

Akashin

View attachment 16021

I don't think there's any dispute that the art itself is for the games; that much is obvious. It's just that the use of Ash in that portion of the art is meaningless to the games, and so if there's anything to be taken away from it, it would be that the showing of Ash and Mallow together pertains to the anime. There's no guarantee that it does, but it definitely has nothing to do with the games, and shouldn't be written off entirely.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
I don't think there's any dispute that the art itself is for the games; that much is obvious. It's just that the use of Ash in that portion of the art is meaningless to the games, and so if there's anything to be taken away from it, it would be that the showing of Ash and Mallow together pertains to the anime. There's no guarantee that it does, but it definitely has nothing to do with the games, and shouldn't be written off entirely.

Unless, of course, this artwork implies that Ash would be in the games in some form.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
This is not exactly true. If Serena were to continue she would most likely still be treated similarly to now, except this time her character would be active from the start and i get the feeling showcases would be vastly improved.

If Mallow really is included in the anime her entire character seems to fit Brock/Cilan's role. She's a cook, she'd likely serve as a guide for the island trials, and she looks to be a bit older than Ash. Mallow doesn't scream "next female lead" but looks more like a Brock/Cilan support character. I don't think the writers are going to do another Misty/Iris type character as the main girl again.

XY was a return to the AG/DP formula using the main girl in girl competitions again similar to May/Dawn. I don't think they're going to abandon that again just to go back to another Iris/Cilan set-up.

It sounds like you've already formed your own conclusions about how a character will be without playing the games for context. If XY is being blessed for breaking barriers and status quo, why can't the same be applied to SM and the potential Brock/Cilan archetype? SM's only gonna be a week apart from XYZ, surely they can't have forgotten how to blast status quo to kingdom come by then.

Besides, you know what they did when it looked like a BW character wasn't going to be able to carry an arc and co-star role? They added another BW character to help pick up the slack. Know what they did when it looked like the Kalos Gym Leader wouldn't be able to carry an arc and co-star role, even with his sibling as backup support? They added another XY character to help pick up the slack.

If SM's protag is deemed as not being able to carry an arc or co-star role, they will add another SM character to the group, to help deliver added and layered context to the region when the first SM protagonist can't do it on her own, and keep perspectives and activities viewed through an Alola-tinted lens.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
6 days seem so far from now. The concept art will be leaked by Thursday morning.

Akashin

Unless, of course, this artwork implies that Ash would be in the games in some form.

The only remotely plausible (and I use the term plausible as lightly as is humanly possible) reason I could see for that would be if his appearance in the games were related to Ash Greninja, in which case there would be no reason to show him in unrelated artwork with Mallow and the Starters.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
The only remotely plausible (and I use the term plausible as lightly as is humanly possible) reason I could see for that would be if his appearance were related to Ash Greninja, in which case there would be no reason to show him in unrelated artwork with Mallow and the Starters.

And why not? Depending on this Ash-like figure's role, he could be a recurring character could guide our main protagonist throughout the region (I've heard a rumor somewhere along the lines that Red will be in the game guiding you, but I'll take a pinch of salt with that). The point of the matter is, what is Ash doing in a game concept? And if he should appear in the games, what kind of effect would it have on the anime?

Last edited:

Markerz

I'm in the camp waiting for an announcement of an announcement. "Pokemon Sun & Moon will be starting soon, make sure to watch next episode for details!"

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
You know how Ash and Serena didn't know the relationship with Clemont and Bonnie and the Lumiose Gym? I'd like for the same thing to happen with Lillie if she were a traveling companion. Her secret would be UB-01 tho.
Also what if Oak's cousin is worked in so that he can bring the dex that will be for Professor Oak's Rotom and Ash takes it for his purpose to going to the Alola region?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I'm in the camp waiting for an announcement of an announcement. "Pokemon Sun & Moon will be starting soon, make sure to watch next episode for details!"

Well, after what had happened with some of CoroCoro spoilers, I won't be ruling out this possibility. I'm trying to keep optimist expectations lol

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Also what if Oak's cousin is worked in so that he can bring the dex that will be for Professor Oak's Rotom and Ash takes it for his purpose to going to the Alola region?

That's also what I figure will happen. Makes sense. With Rotom being part of the traveling group means that the need for team ups with Meowth won't be really needed when they need a translator.

FulgoreX

Banned
It sounds like you've already formed your own conclusions about how a character will be without playing the games for context. If XY is being blessed for breaking barriers and status quo, why can't the same be applied to SM and the potential Brock/Cilan archetype? SM's only gonna be a week apart from XYZ, surely they can't have forgotten how to blast status quo to kingdom come by then.

For anything that chances in each saga, most stuff remains the same. Its clear to the writers BW was a one-off experiment to try to recapture the OS group trio and dynamic, but then they dropped it and XY feels like a mix of AG and DP. The writers are well aware people like female companions with goals, it makes the seasons much better to watch and reduces filler.

If Mallow is a companion that's the reason I feel we know she'll be a support character. Island trial characters are basically the same thing as Gym leaders as they all focus on one type. Mallow is a grass type trainer, she looks a bit older than Ash, she's a cook, etc. Everything about her feels like she would be good on the cast, except it feels like she'd function in Brock/Cilan/Clemont's role better than the main girl. Yes the writers could do some things with her, but its especially noticeable only the player protagonist from the games like May/Dawn/Serena get the goals that go alongside Ash's Gyms.

I also don't think "glovehead" will be part of the cast for that matter, I know there's nothing to say either way, but her design doesn't strike me as popular as past player girls.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
And why not? Depending on this Ash-like figure's role, he could be a recurring character could guide our main protagonist throughout the region (I've heard a rumor somewhere along the lines that Red will be in the game guiding you, but I'll take a pinch of salt with that). The point of the matter is, what is Ash doing in a game concept? And if he should appear in the games, what kind of effect would it have on the anime?

I'd like to see Ash mention the events or come across the people he met in the games and somehow implement it in the anime. That'll be pretty cool. :)

LizardonX

Banned
The thing that baffles me the most about the Amourshipping phenomenon is that people think Serena's crush being canon somehow makes it a good relationship despite the fact Ash/Serena's overall friendship has been so poorly developed over the years with only a few meaningful friendly moments (when there should have been a lot more) and a bunch of one-sided romantic moments from Serena's side consisting of a failed date, a failed dance, blushes, gazes, more blushes, moments of worry and even more blushes.

I'm sorry, but no, a canon crush doesn't automatically make it well-written relationship especially when it's so terribly one-sided and such an obvious marketing ploy to draw in more viewers.

Also, remember when the writers had Ash in the finals and how much of an impact that made and how much the audience reacted to it? And do you also remember how Ash lost anyway because that is simply how the show works? Yeah, that same thing also applies to Amourshipping.

People like winning.

A ship being canonical means whoever supports it is the winner of the waifu wars of whatever show being discussed.

For those people it is the best because it validates their status as "winners" regardless of any faults said ship may have.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Too bad Serena couldn't and won't replace Ash as the main character for the SM series. I would have loved to see her try Island Trials and travel with Moon or Mallow or whoever. That would have been nice, but oh well.

Markerz

" the next episode" that comes out the same day as the magazine?

Hm, they already announced that once, so I don't think so. Even though I typed that, all signs are pointing to there being pertinent info on the 15th. I'm just considering worse case scenarios.

Status
Not open for further replies.