• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Sun/Moon possibilities discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Island trials will replace them. They'll still be around in some capacity. As of right now I don't expect Island Captains to be treated any better then Gym Leaders.

I get what you're saying but ask yourself this, do you REALLY think the writers will handle these characters better than they have currently? Hell, people already consider Trials to be basically gyms in a different name. I don't trust the writers to take advantage of this. Remember what happened with Citron/Clemont?

Frankly, it doesn't matter how close Island Trials resemble Gym Battles.

They aren't Gym Battles, and that makes all the difference as far as potential for Mallow goes.

FulgoreX

Banned
Do you think they will end the male companion only being allowed to carry 3 pokemon rule that started in hoenn? (Dedenne was Bonnie's pokemon so it didn't count)

The writers seem content with giving the companions small teams nowadays. Only May and Dawn got 7 pokemon because they're coordinators.

Brock only had 3 pokemon a time in AG and DP, Cilan only had 3, Iris had 4, Serena only 3, and Clemont technically only 3.

Unless they have a battle-oriented goal like Contests, the writers probably see no reason to give any of the companions a lot of pokemon anymore. May and Dawn needed more pokemon because they battled the most often.

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
Do you think they will end the male companion only being allowed to carry 3 pokemon rule that started in hoenn? (Dedenne was Bonnie's pokemon so it didn't count)

Probably 3 is fine. I mean the only time we got to see a full team from a companion was May and Dawn, and those people were arguably just as important as Ash was. The male companion will most likely get minimal spotlight, so it's better to flesh out one or two Pokemon and only have one "filler" Pokemon.

Someone say Serena? :)

Oh crap, don't say the S-word.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
That was Cilan for me: Great team, funny character, intentionally silly/vague goal, no shipwars, and always felt relevant.

Id give my right arm for him to come back for S&M.
I don't appreciate Dent enough, he was so underrated as a companion. When you think about it he did a lot and he never really would fade into the background like Citron and Takeshi would, even in BW2, where some say he didn't do much, I never got that impression given he still received a fair amount of episodes and battle time, naturally with BW2 focusing on the league, Team Rocket and Iris's Kairyu I feel Dent's presence might have become a bit overshadowed. I would love another "Dent" type character in Mallow personally, ironically a lot of people say she seems like the lovechild of Iris and Dent. It'd be hilarious if she had a Alola Form Exeggutor which is Dragon and Grass-type.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
If we're discussing over Ash's female traveling companion, like Mallow, we should create/brainstorm a personality for Glovehead. :) I can already imagine Mallow being a fun and interesting character. She can be Ash's guide and like a big sister to him. She may supposedly know her way around the Island but she stumbles into trouble innocently with having a lack of direction and can be a bit diltzy at times. She'd great at hiding and can be stealthy ala uses her hair as a way of camouflaging whether it's luring Pokémon or hiding from them. She has a sense of adventure, a chef specializing in Alolan food (which she can teach Ash a few recipes to learn), she adores Grass Type Pokémon, and there can be a significant reason on why she puts a flower on her green hair. Also training to be a Trial Captain of she isn't one in the anime.

We shuld have a backstory on why Moon likes that weird hat of hers. Did her grandma give it to her as a family item?

Last edited:

Xenon Blue

No Hard Feelings
If we're discussing over Ash's female traveling companion, like Mallow, we should create/brainstorm a personality for Glovehead. :) I can already imagine Mallow being a fun and interesting character. She can be Ash's guide and like a big sister to him. She may supposedly know her way around the Island but she stumbles into trouble innocently with having a lack of direction and can be a bit diltzy at times. She'd great at hiding and can be stealthy ala uses her hair as a way of camouflaging whether it's luring Pokémon or hiding from them. She has a sense of adventure, a chef specializing in Alolan food (which she can teach Ash a few recipes to learn), she adores Grass Type Pokémon, and there can be a significant reason on why she puts a flower on her green hair. Also training to be a Trial Captain of she isn't one in the anime.

We shuld have a backstory on why Moon likes that weird hat of hers. Did her grandma give it to her as a family item?

Mallow is probably going to be how you described it.

As for Glovehead, I think she would be similar to Dawn and be really optimistic and overconfident in her skills in the beginning. In order to avoid Dawn 2.0, she can be more mature and conservative, maybe be less girly as well although that hat says otherwise. I also want her and Ash to not get along that well and actually have conflicts once in a while. If I had it my way I would make Glovehead Ash's cousin to 1.Avoid any sort of shipping and 2.Create more tension and depth. Her hat can be like a gift from a close someone or something. Maybe Delia gave it to her as a present when she went to Alola to meet her Sister or whatever. Seems plausible.

WaterTypeWarrior

Probably 3 is fine. I mean the only time we got to see a full team from a companion was May and Dawn, and those people were arguably just as important as Ash was. The male companion will most likely get minimal spotlight, so it's better to flesh out one or two Pokemon and only have one "filler" Pokemon.

Misty also had a full team with her at the end of Johto. She had Togepi, Politoed, Staryu, Corsola, Psyduck, and Goldeen. Granted, only half of them were consistently used to battle, but she still had a full team. I agree that it's pretty clear the writers don't feel the need to give Ash's companions lots of Pokemon unless they have a pretty battle-centric goal. I don't blame them since some Pokemon would inevitably end up neglected if their trainer didn't battle often.

FulgoreX

Banned
Misty also had a full team with her at the end of Johto. She had Togepi, Politoed, Staryu, Corsola, Psyduck, and Goldeen. Granted, only half of them were consistently used to battle, but she still had a full team. I agree that it's pretty clear the writers don't feel the need to give Ash's companions lots of Pokemon unless they have a pretty battle-centric goal. I don't blame them since some Pokemon would inevitably end up neglected if their trainer didn't battle often.

Misty/Brock had 5-6 pokemon in Johto because they didn't drop their old pokemon behind when Johto began. That's why they only capture 1 new pokemon each (Pineco and Corsola) because the writers had no room to give them new pokemon with their teams already filled.

Realistically it would have been better for Misty to drop more old pokemon, so she could have gotten more than just 1 measly Johto pokemon. Kinda ridiculous when you realize Misty only made one capture over 150+ episodes...that's even worse than Serena's capture rate.

WaterTypeWarrior

Misty/Brock had 5-6 pokemon in Johto because they didn't drop their old pokemon behind when Johto began. That's why they only capture 1 new pokemon each (Pineco and Corsola) because the writers had no room to give them new pokemon with their teams already filled.

Realistically it would have been better for Misty to drop more old pokemon, so she could have gotten more than just 1 measly Johto pokemon. Kinda ridiculous when you realize Misty only made one capture over 150+ episodes...that's even worse than Serena's capture rate.

True. There was no reason for Goldeen to stick around with Misty in Johto, and Staryu probably could've been left too. As for the others, I don't really mind, though. Obviously, Togepi wasn't going anywhere (and it pretty much existed to hype up Johto in the first place), Poliwag had a Gen 2 evolution, and Psyduck was the comic relief Pokemon of the OS.

Brock wasn't as bad, though, especially when you consider that one of his Pokemon (Vulpix) did leave during Johto. The only other one I could picture him without is Geodude, since Onix was his signature Pokemon back then and Zubat also had a Gen 2 evolution.

I also like to think that Brock and Misty made up for their lack of captures by getting most of the evolutions during Johto. Ash may have gotten most captures, but Bayleef was his only evolution throughout the whole region. It kinda balanced out to me.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Mallow is probably going to be how you described it.

As for Glovehead, I think she would be similar to Dawn and be really optimistic and overconfident in her skills in the beginning. In order to avoid Dawn 2.0, she can be more mature and conservative, maybe be less girly as well although that hat says otherwise. I also want her and Ash to not get along that well and actually have conflicts once in a while. If I had it my way I would make Glovehead Ash's cousin to 1.Avoid any sort of shipping and 2.Create more tension and depth. Her hat can be like a gift from a close someone or something. Maybe Delia gave it to her as a present when she went to Alola to meet her Sister or whatever. Seems plausible.
I have no clue what to think of how Moon will be portrayed. I like your idea of Moon being like Dawn in a way and her own ideals shown physically. (conservative clothing and showing maturity). If Glovehead and Ash are cousins, they better show some backstory of them being little kids/toddlers! More scenes fo showing Ash's childhood/toddlerhood and family history please!! :) That hat could've been from a voodoo lady/witch doctor. Whomever wears that hat will possess the power if turning it into a hand and slapping people with it. Glovehead could hide a small Pokémon or Pokeballs in there. No Pokémon jacking happening to her anytime soon. It'll be nice for her to be a bit more tomboyish than girly. Local girls will wonder how she keeps herself looking so cute even with a ridiculous hat on. I wonder if she'll have someone to fuse with if Syncro Evolution is still a thing.

Ominous Wind

One thing they could with Alola that I've always wanted them to do is to have Ash interact more with the Region itself. He always focuses more on battles but not so much when it comes to interacting more with his enviroments.

With Alola possibly not having a league (although let's be honest, at this point this theory is true) Ash could interact more with Alola itself and it's enviroments, culture and other things.

Franckie

I see the anime being similar to something like the Orange Islands since only 4 island challenges exist within the upcoming game. Zygarde is also likely to play a role in the anime since it's a core aspect of the game. My big question is how it'll be mentioned in the anime for Ash to visit the Aloha region. Maybe Palermo? She still has unfinished business with Serena. I can't think of any major character who'd introduce Ash and company to the Aloha region, especially since Palermo's question to Serena is the only loose end for the Kalos Saga to tie up. Or the authors say screw it and introduce Samson Oak when Ash returns home.

Last edited:

WaterTypeWarrior

I see the anime being similar to something like the Orange Islands since only 4 island challenges exist within the upcoming game. Zygarde is also likely to play a role in the anime since it's a core aspect of the game. My big question is how it'll be mentioned in the anime for Ash to visit the Aloha region. Maybe Palermo? She still has unfinished business with Serena. I can't think of any major character who'd introduce Ash and company to the Aloha region, especially since Palermo's question to Serena is the only loose end for the Kalos Saga to tie up.

I think it'll easily be Professor Oak who tells Ash about Alola now that we know he has a cousin there. If we do get a Pallet Town episode, I wouldn't be surprised if Samson is there visiting the professor and Ash goes with him back to Alola.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
That was Cilan for me: Great team, funny character, intentionally silly/vague goal, no shipwars, and always felt relevant.

Id give my right arm for him to come back for S&M.

This. If any character ever returned to the cast I'd pick Cilan over even Dawn.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Frankly, it doesn't matter how close Island Trials resemble Gym Battles.

They aren't Gym Battles, and that makes all the difference as far as potential for Mallow goes.

I also don't get what makes gym leader companions so damning as characters in-general? Iris wasn't a gym leader, Takeshi and Kasumi were here during the OS era, Dent's gym was gotten out of the way quickly. But none of the actual gym leaders aside from Citron were meant to be heavily developed and focused on in show because they mostly carried static and mature roles. The only exception is Citron who was more or less not given focus period. Let's not forget these aren't gym battles at all, something people neglect to accept. Citron was the only one with a gym "plot" and buildup to a battle and they botched it badly and I think that makes people apprehensive of Mallow falling into the same fate. But I can easily see her getting a Dent-type role as a companion and her character not being tied to Satoshi 70% of the time because she's a trial captain for her own sake and not Satoshi's.

FulgoreX

Banned
. Citron was the only one with a gym "plot" and buildup to a battle and they botched it badly and I think that makes people apprehensive of Mallow falling into the same fate. But I can easily see her getting a Dent-type role as a companion and her character not being tied to Satoshi 70% of the time because she's a trial captain for her own sake and not Satoshi's.

They didn't botch anything, they did everything with Clemont they wanted to. You sound like you have unreasonable expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.