• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon Dungeons Discussion

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
The dungeons throwing in monstrously overpowered sleeping Pokemon in dungeons sort of reminded me of Etrian Odyssey's FOE's, in that they're things you do not want to mess with or you will die. It's frustrating going in and waking up a Pokemon only to have it stomp you, but I didn't mind the inclusion of them since items are such a saving grace for these situations.

Items though. Way too good you pretty much can't win without using them at times.

Rakurai

GtI started the whole "overpowered sleeping Pokemon" thing, except they wouldn't wake up unless you actually caused damage to them.

As long you remember that Pokemon are never below their required level for evolution anymore, it's generally easy to know which ones you shouldn't be messing with, though fully evolved Pokemon in general tend to be bad news during the main story.

Last edited:

Fulisha Light

Got through the Poliwrath dungeon a second time (first time gave me the option to turn back, so I did to reorganize my inventory), and using Stayway and Slumber Wands I managed to beat them and only die once. I just finished the Svlveon mission as well, and that dungeon was piss easy...somehow.

What the hell happened to the game's mechanics? Your belly drops too fast, you gain few exp. to level up, you're underleveled where everything will one shot you, almost all dungeon mons have moves that hit from tiles away and the whole room so the "feint attack and enemy comes close" tactic doesn't work anymore, and accuracy is completely broken for you but not the enemy.

Will they even patch this? D:
The gameplay mechanics are so utterly broken and against you at all times, it's unfair. Sky didn't have you missing several times in a row or draining the hell out of your PP and belly. Sky was hard, but its gameplay mechanics weren't this broken.

I'll never be able to replay this either, which is a shame because I love the story so far...

Rakurai

I haven't actually had a total party wipe or had to bail out with an Escape Orb yet (Save for one time where I made mistake of underestimating a dungeon's "Very Difficult" description) as of Chapter 14.

The difficulty is more in-line with that of a traditional Mystery Dungeon title now, and I don't have any problem with that.

The game just forces you to be much more reliant on items then in past titles, since even standard enemies can be overwhelming without them at times. The required Salamence mission you've yet to deal with basically serves to grind that point into one's mind.

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
I recently encountered a Tranquil who kicked my tail in an earlier dungeon, it was not asleep either. Is this normal? I don't recall that pokemon being native to that dungeon (Forbidden Forest)...I ended up using a Stayaway Wand and avoiding it, because I knew right there i'd be in trouble if I kept messing with it!

Last edited:

Creyk

A good way to deal with Salamence is to recruit Vulpix before you go to it. It has confuse ray which is very helpful.

Rakurai

I recently encountered a Tranquil who kicked my tail in an earlier dungeon, it was not asleep either. Is this normal? I don't recall that pokemon being native to that dungeon (Forbidden Forest)...I ended up using a Stayaway Wand and avoiding it, because I knew right there i'd be in trouble if I kept messing with it!

Some of the OP Pokemon aren't always asleep, so you have to either avoid them or immobilize them.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I'm currently on chapter 7. Does anyone have suggestions on dungeons I can use to grind exp/money?

Also, as for the Pelliper Island missions... Does the exp I gain there (by rescuing myself) go to the player and partner in the main story?

Good God, the fight in Nectar Meadow is destroying my life. I'm playing as a Chespin and Froakie and I didn't expect to hit such a roadblock so early.

I'm in the same boat. Though I've picked Chespin and Oshawott. For Nectar Meadow, I've needed to be rescued 2 times. What helped me was using the the wand that causes confusion, a blast seed and another item I forgot XD

Rakurai

I curse the OR/AS level-up moveset changes for giving Vibrava Earthquake at level 33. They're easily the most broken enemy Pokemon I've run into so far, and they'll rub salt in the wound by evolving if they do manage to KO someone, making them even deadlier.

Oh crap crap crap!! I just noticed that since being wiped out by salamance that I don't have my 3 looplets anymore from losing my items 0_0. Sh#t, did I lose those forever? Do I need to restart my game? And how do I prevent losing them in the future seeing how hard this game is??

Last edited:

YZPQGMV

TRICK MASTER is cool
Oh crap crap crap!! I just noticed that since being wiped out by salamance that I don't have my 3 looplets let's anymore from losing my items 0_0. Sh#t, did I lose those forever? Do I need to restart my game? And how Do I prevent losing them in the future seeing how hard this game is??

Don't worry! You can get more looplets through dungeons and sometimes through the Kecleon shop, though the price varies depending on the type of looplet and how many notches it has. I have tons of them in my Deposit Box after completing the game.

I lost to Salamence on my first try because I wasn't expecting him to be that strong. Definitely carpet bomb him with crippling statuses like paralysis, sleep, and confusion. Smokescreen was nerfed and now just reduces accuracy, so you'll have to use it a lot for it to be effective. Blast Seeds deal 100 fixed-damage, so you can eliminate most bosses by just using a few of these.

I curse the OR/AS level-up moveset changes for giving Vibrava Earthquake at level 33. They're easily the most broken enemy Pokemon I've run into so far, and they'll rub salt in the wound by evolving if they do manage to KO someone, making them even deadlier.

I curse Spike Chunsoft for throwing a bunch of Trapinch that know Fissure AND have Arena Trap into a dungeon. It's not as bad as Vibrava spamming Earthquake in a corner of the room, but they're still pure evil.

Last edited:

scififan21

I'm in Poliwrath River right now, my poor Fenniken and Squirtle as my partner this is not going to be fun. XD

GinGaru

I dont know what you are talking about dificulty, salamence mission was really easy all i had to do was spamming alliance attack and i defeated him easily
The only problem i have is that normal attack are useless so you have to rely on moves and then your pp runs out really fast

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
Well I just got to the poliwrath river and lost... I hate how when you loose in a dungeon you loose all of your items. What happened to only loosing half of them >.>

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
Well I just got to the poliwrath river and lost... I hate how when you loose in a dungeon you loose all of your items. What happened to only loosing half of them >.>

Thats what saving your game is for. :D Instead of losing all your items just shut the game off and start from the previous save.

Might have to watch a Cutscene or two again but you keep all your stuff. Including the items you might have used on the first attempt.

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
I find it very odd that people have been finding this game "really" hard. I don't know if it's just how i'm playing the game but everything's been fairly easy save for one specific dungeon. I didn't even really have problems with the Salamence fight that everyone yells about I just used a few blast seeds, and some wands/orbs to stop him in his tracks. Sure I had to use a few reviver seeds but that battle went very smooth all things considered.

I don't know if it's just the RNG or the fact that i'm focusing primarily on good item management. I ALWAYS carry 2 blast seeds on me as well as at least 5 tiny reviver seeds, a number of apples and oran berries, a good selection of elixers/max elixers, a few other types of berries as well as some sleep, petrify, and confuse orbs/wands that i'm not afraid to use if the situation gets sticky. The 2 blast seeds in specific are for if I run into a boss. Almost all the bosses up to this point [i'm on chapter 12] have been able to be taken down with 2 blast seeds. The 2 exceptions being the second and third bosses, and even then wands are the way to go for those fights. Items are VERY powerful in this game to a point of which I feel like i'm cheating and I haven't been seeing my friends use them enough. I also find it funny that i've been consistently lower level than my friends yet their having a much harder time than me. For reference in chapter 11 I was still 17 while my friend was level 19.

Emera's are also very strong borderline broken. I guess that's their balance for how strong the random pokemon are compared to you but get as many of them as you can. The best one's I've come to find have been the ones that cause confusion or sleep when you damage a pokemo or the pokemon damages you. Those almost always activate and can be incredibly useful. Also barrage has been a great one as well as using power up X and Y together. Those are the only ones I can think of but their great and even if you don't want to use a specific emera just use it and turn it into a minor stat buff.

I guess it just goes to show how important good item management is. Also for reference i'm a Fennekin and my partner is Mudkip. I haven't needed to be rescued or use an escape orb nor have I used any alliance attacks. And for those wondering the dungeon that gave me the hardest time was the second major dungeon in chapter 11. But that's only because i'm a fire type so I focused more on just finding the stairs and getting the hell out of there.

As far as the game itself so far it's been pretty good but there are a few things that kinda annoy me. For starters they REALLY tried to get you not to use the A attack cause that's been nerfed to pluto and back. Which I really don't understand why. Even the level 50 Salemence's A attack only does a whopping 5 damage. WHY? On top of that I constantly feel like my PP is dangerously low and elixers aren't the most common thing in the world to find [I always need to make sure I have a decent stock of them], and even more on top of that I feel like I miss more in this game than any other pokemon game. According to the bar my accuracy should NOT be that bad. I also feel like my belly drains far too quick. I shouldn't need to eat twice on the same floor much less between 2 to 3 floors. And finally it's a nitpick but I really hate how every yes or no choice starts you out on no even if you need to answer yes for story progression. That just bugs me.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
The game definitely presents a degree of challenge that warrants the comments/complaints(?), enemy Pokemon and certain bosses hit way harder than you're used to when comparing it to past Mystery Dungeon games. This is made even more awkward later on when bosses recover from basically any status pretty much immediately while still [nearly] one-shotting you. But that's exactly it, item management is way more important in this game and keeping on top of that goes a long way. You practically need to carry around several of each item, but given how common Apples, Oran Berries, Elixirs and Tiny Reviver Seeds are for the most part, it's not too difficult as long as you make sure to stay on top of that item management. But stuff like Salamence is absolutely a huge roadblock that forces you to approach things very differently. Even if the solution makes the fight easy that is not an easy enemy.

Rakurai

The Truant Wand works on seemingly every boss in the game, so hitting them with one right off the bad will generally make them more manageable (Though the random chance of being put to sleep by the ability can make this potentially backfire).

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
Wait, you lose ALL of your items and money now?! Oh dear, that's not good...I haven't been totally defeated yet, but this is all the more reason to avoid that at all costs!

I do hope the difficulty will get patched or something, I try to not rely too harshly on items and rather utilizing the moves of myself and my partners. In earlier games I used to only need to worry about Monster Houses and secret room guardians. Now it's that and now getting nearly one-shot by everything you bump into, which can be rather disheartening, especially if you happen to be by some stroke of horrible luck that you lack the supplies that'll save you...

On that note, I'll dread any dungeons that'll restrict the pokemon or items you can bring...

Last edited:

Piplup-Luv

Piplups Are Awesome
As far as the game itself so far it's been pretty good but there are a few things that kinda annoy me. For starters they REALLY tried to get you not to use the A attack cause that's been nerfed to pluto and back. Which I really don't understand why. Even the level 50 Salemence's A attack only does a whopping 5 damage. WHY? On top of that I constantly feel like my PP is dangerously low and elixers aren't the most common thing in the world to find [I always need to make sure I have a decent stock of them], and even more on top of that I feel like I miss more in this game than any other pokemon game. According to the bar my accuracy should NOT be that bad. I also feel like my belly drains far too quick. I shouldn't need to eat twice on the same floor much less between 2 to 3 floors. And finally it's a nitpick but I really hate how every yes or no choice starts you out on no even if you need to answer yes for story progression. That just bugs me.

The hunger and PP use systems are seriously broken beyond reason and I REALLY HOPE it's just a bug that get's patched eventually (probably not gonna happen though). Doesn't help that b/c of that system you have to fill your 32 slot bag with things to combat it and that they seriously nerfed you & your partner and buffed enemy Pokemon. I should NOT be almost dying to attacks that would do nothing to me in the other games and WTH is with my high miss ratio. I know Bubblebeam doesn't have high accuracy but I should NOT be missing 5 times in a row when my accuracy stat isn't even lowered. Also, why does your partner tack attacks for you when they are at like 10 HP and why do you take attacks for them when you're going to die? :/

The game would be easier if YOU COULD USE THE PASSWORD AND QR CODES for the english version to get stuff but no, we have to wait until we finish the game before those things get released for us in the USA :/.

Another thing that is broken is your partner's AI. They seem to default to whatever attack causes the most damage regardless of the enemy pokemon's type. My Torchic partner uses Ember against LOTADS when the move's Quick Attack, Low Kick, and Peck are available he doesn't have to use Ember from 2 spaces away from the enemy when Quick Attack does the same thing -_-. I am pretty sure in the other games your partner would choose the best attack for the opponent (Use Electric attack on a pokemon weak to those and not use normal-type attacks on GHOST TYPES. (The 3rd pokemon you bring with you on missions is smarter than your partner when it comes to the AI. Raichu uses Thunderbolt on FLying types and QUick Attack from behind me like a smart Pokemon)

And don't even get me started on Gravelrocks, that when set, allow the entire team to use them.

Me: Buffolant /w a 1-shot-kill Fury Attack over there... better not aggro it
Torchic: *Throws a Gravelrock at the Buffolant*
Me: -_- *Proceeds to die because of stupid partner's action*

Emera's are OP though, shame you only have 9 seconds to get them when the room has like, 4 Pokemon ready to kill you off the bat.

Last edited: