• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon Dungeons Discussion

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Discuss the huge number of dungeons in Super Mystery Dungeon here! Whether it's the scenery, the Pokemon or the frustrations you run into in a dungeon, this is the thread for it. As always, all forum rules apply.

LizardonX

Banned
Wtf is with the required Salamence fight with Axew. That seems absurd to put a boss with over 300 HP who can one shot everyone I have access to (stupid **** sylveon decided to take a break when I needed her the most) so early in the game.

Rakurai

Yeah...

I'm not really sure what they were thinking when they designed that mission, either. The only way you can realistically win is by abusing Slumber Wands (Thankfully, it is not considered a boss Pokemon, and thus is affected by the wand's full duration), Blast Seeds, and Dragon Rage, because everything else only does scratch damage.

On a side note, there really are a ton of dreadful enemy Pokemon in even the early dungeons this time around. Helioptile and Drifloon stand out especially, the former for having Razor Wind (Which is now a powerful full room attack that can nearly wipe your entire team in one use), and the latter for having Minimize and double attacks if it has the Unburden ability.

Last edited:

LizardonX

Banned
Overall the difficulty seems a bit much.

practically everything takes a minimum of 3 SE hits to go down. 4-5 otherwise. Damage output is pathetic unless I get lucky with the emeras or cave and bust out the salamence. If you could nickname recruits he'd be Frederick.

LoveMcQueen5683

I love the challenge but it's actually frustrating too lol. It somewhat reminds me of the original PMD but worse. Thr original had long dungeons and i think only 2 pages of items. The dungeons in this one aren't that long but it makes up for it with the challenge.

The enemies are way stronger than you. It takes like 5 hits for them to die. I've never been through so many elixirs. But it also isn't helping that I think they screwed up accuracy. I can't go one battle without an attack missing. Even the Power X/Y emeras dont help much. Maybe it's just me? They also made hunger decay to rapid.

One thing I can't tolerate though is that push thing they included. There was nothing wrong with the old way to pass teammates but now you have to press B to do it. And it depletes hunger too and I always forget about it. It's silly.

Anyways though it's kinda nice not breezing through the game. The struggle is a nice change of pace.

Last edited:

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
The only problem i have so far, is that your partner pokemon insists on grabbing every item in the Dungeon.

I could be 3 steps from the stairs and they'll still try to run across the room for a Pecha berry. Nevermind that i have two already, or that i'm a Bulbasaur so Poison doesnt matter anyway

and then i have to chase after them so we dont get split up. Because they're not smart enough to find their way back after.

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
On that note with difficulty, why the blazes do some enemy pokemon have access to 1-hit KO moves so early? Not to mention they always seem to hit! Do you know how many revival items I burned through on a single floor? 4, I think...But that's beyond the point! The point is, its harder than it seems!

Creyk

On that note with difficulty, why the blazes do some enemy pokemon have access to 1-hit KO moves so early? Not to mention they always seem to hit! Do you know how many revival items I burned through on a single floor? 4, I think...But that's beyond the point! The point is, its harder than it seems!

Yes the game is unnecessarily hard, and it does not get better later on. It seriously sucks in that regard.

Last edited:

Rakurai

You're expected to make liberal use of items in order to survive this time around. There's a reason why they constantly throw Reviver Seeds and wands at you.

There are also a lot more Pokemon that are simply not worth fighting due to how disproportionately powerful they are compared to the others in the dungeon.

Piplup-Luv

Piplups Are Awesome
I highly despise the fact that your hunger depleats every 3 moves you make. I don't remember having to eat every 3 floors in the other 3 games :/ Same goes for moves, I hardly ever needed to use elixirs until I got into the late-game dungeons... Also, what's with the buff on enemy pokemon attack power (I'm getting 1-hit KO'd by attacks that should do pretty much nothing to me here!) and why is the attack AI for your partner 'highest damaging attack takes priority regardless of opponent's type'

Yeah Torchic, use a fire attack on a Pokemon with Flash Fire because that works so well -_-

They seriously messed up the combat system in this, especially the hunger mechanic like I mentioned earlier. I have to put like 6 apples in my bag just to prevent starvation where as in the other games I'd only need to carry 1 or 2 of them at a time :/

Last edited:

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
You're expected to make liberal use of items in order to survive this time around. There's a reason why they constantly throw Reviver Seeds and wands at you.

There are also a lot more Pokemon that are simply not worth fighting due to how disproportionately powerful they are compared to the others in the dungeon.

Luckily Ive only needed one Reviver seed so far. Chimchar didnt enjoy Gabite's Dig...

Question, Do wands work on teammates?

LizardonX

Banned
Made it to the second hub area. Lost 3 reviver seeds to those stupid bouffalants and their 5 hit insta kill fury attacks.

Rakurai

Question, Do wands work on teammates?

They do. As I learned accidentally from not realizing that the Warp Wand affects the target and all adjacent Pokemon.

LoveMcQueen5683

I highly despise the fact that your hunger depleats every 3 moves you make. I don't remember having to eat every 3 floors in the other 3 games :/ Same goes for moves, I hardly ever needed to use elixirs until I got into the late-game dungeons... Also, what's with the buff on enemy pokemon attack power (I'm getting 1-hit KO'd by attacks that should do pretty much nothing to me here!) and why is the attack AI for your partner 'highest damaging attack takes priority regardless of opponent's type'

Yeah Torchic, use a fire attack on a Pokemon with Flash Fire because that works so well -_-

They seriously messed up the combat system in this, especially the hunger mechanic like I mentioned earlier. I have to put like 6 apples in my bag just to prevent starvation where as in the other games I'd only need to carry 1 or 2 of them at a time :/

Yeah there's something wrong with teammates and their moves. Chikorita hardly ever uses any other move besides Razor Leaf.

diakyu

Good God, the fight in Nectar Meadow is destroying my life. I'm playing as a Chespin and Froakie and I didn't expect to hit such a roadblock so early.

Edit: Welp, Chespin tried but Beedrill got him in one hit. Lets take this dungeon from the top, third time's the charm.

Last edited:

Rakurai

Only the Beedrill are considered bosses for the purpose of status effects, so you can use a Petrify Orb on the Combee and deal with them after the Beedrill.

AlaCritical Hit

Brother my brother
Those Beedrills... Ugh. I somehow got my hands on a Totter Orb, so I used that then Growled the heck out of them.

I never payed any close attention to Gates to Infinity, so I'm not sure if they carried down that game's combat mechanics, but methinks the buff on the bosses were enough. Not all the enemy Pokemon getting you in three hits while it takes five SE hits for you to get them.

Wtf is with the required Salamence fight with Axew. That seems absurd to put a boss with over 300 HP who can one shot everyone I have access to (stupid **** sylveon decided to take a break when I needed her the most) so early in the game.

This is where I'm stuck at right now :\. I'm fenniken and my partner is treecko (named Ace). Even with Ace's dragon breath and my psybeam confusing it I'm still getting murdered.

diakyu

Only the Beedrill are considered bosses for the purpose of status effects, so you can use a Petrify Orb on the Combee and deal with them after the Beedrill.
Wow. Thanks for this. Maybe now I can get somewhere.

Edit: Niceeeeee, beat them without even getting hit that time.

Last edited:

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
They do. As I learned accidentally from not realizing that the Warp Wand affects the target and all adjacent Pokemon.

Ok, so i could have used a warp wand on Chimchar to help it escape Gabite.

Gotta remember that for other bosses.