• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon Dungeons Discussion

Fulisha Light

Took on the infamous Salamence mission. Luckily for me, I brought a Truant Wand and Slumber+Confusion Wands. I tried fighting him after putting him to sleep, but he had a ton of HP. 3-4 Blast Seeds finished him off, and I took no damage save for a random Cottonee in the room attacking Sylveon.

Also went to Odd Field for the Dragonite mission where I lost my leftover Blast Seeds to Thief using Mightyena. They changed Thief so that the enemy steals a random inventory item and warps away somewhere else on the map. Seriously?! (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

PokemonFan800

Can anyone explain to me how the whole 'special team' thing works? Like, does my Hero and Partner get EXP from using 3 pokemon that doesn't include them?

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
I've yet to completely lose a dungeon yet, but that freaking Salamence fight had me really close. And he's level 50 what? Are they trying to break the game? I'm only level 12 at this point.

GinGaru

Another thing that is broken is your partner's AI. They seem to default to whatever attack causes the most damage regardless of the enemy pokemon's type. My Torchic partner uses Ember against LOTADS when the move's Quick Attack, Low Kick, and Peck are available he doesn't have to use Ember from 2 spaces away from the enemy when Quick Attack does the same thing -_-. I am pretty sure in the other games your partner would choose the best attack for the opponent (Use Electric attack on a pokemon weak to those and not use normal-type attacks on GHOST TYPES. (The 3rd pokemon you bring with you on missions is smarter than your partner when it comes to the AI. Raichu uses Thunderbolt on FLying types and QUick Attack from behind me like a smart Pokemon)

well, ember is neutral and STAB so it should do more than quick attack

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
A good way to deal with Salamence is to recruit Vulpix before you go to it. It has confuse ray which is very helpful.

I beat that damn thing by burning it and then walking it around the dungeon... Wasn't fun, that thing has 300+ HP...

It's well worth it though, as well as the Dragonite you can get pretty early. Outrage + Persim Looplet is just brutal.

Anyways, what's the best way to train in this game? I've noticed the EXP rates are pitiful compared to PMD2 and even PMD3, and it's actually possible (in fact very likely) to get absolutely wrecked by random dungeon trash. As much as I like the drastic increase in difficulty, I'd still like to know the best way to grind EXP that you guys have found.

Zim999

Question who here got the Pokemon they wanted to play as from the start without switching.
I got Pikachu which I wanted as my main guy, but for a partner I got Fennekin, so I switched to Mudkip.
Who here had to switched for ether?

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Question who here got the Pokemon they wanted to play as from the start without switching.
I got Pikachu which I wanted as my main guy, but for a partner I got Fennekin, so I switched to Mudkip.

I got Mudkip as a starter, switched it for Treecko, and got Torchic as a partner and kept it.

I kind of want to try a playthrough with Froakie and... I dunno, Riolu or something.

scififan21

Well I got Bulbasaur, but switched to Fenniken I don't do well with grass types in these games. XD It was going to give me Totodile for partner, but I picked Squirtle. I only been completely wiped in the Salamance battle once. Then I just used Sylveon as the leader for it. I'm in Lively Town now. :)

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
Anyways, what's the best way to train in this game? I've noticed the EXP rates are pitiful compared to PMD2 and even PMD3, and it's actually possible (in fact very likely) to get absolutely wrecked by random dungeon trash. As much as I like the drastic increase in difficulty, I'd still like to know the best way to grind EXP that you guys have found.

If there's a good exp grinding spot I sure haven't found it [i'm now in the middle of chapter 14 now]. Honestly, as said before in this thread, I don't think level really means much in this game. The most important things are increasing your stats with vitamins and the like, using your moves regularly to increase their power/pp/accuracy, finding good emera [which isn't that hard especially in story dungeons], and practicing proper item management. If you keep a good inventory and get smart/creative with your items anything is possible despite your level.

Edit: Let me put it this way, like in my last reply I got to chapter 12 a good 2 levels lower than my friend yet my friend kept needing to be rescued and I hadn't gotten wiped once cause I've had better item management than they do.

When I was first going to get the game I had mentally decided I wanted either Turtwig, Piplup, or Fennekin. When I took the quiz I got Piplup which was cool but after staring at it for a while I ended up switching to Fennekin. As for my partner I wanted to pick a Pikachu and name him Tobias because that's the partner I've had in every mystery dungeon, but I didn't know the quiz would generate a partner for you as well. It ended up giving me Mudkip which I went with and I couldn't be happier. I named him Kipper, after my starter in omega ruby.

Last edited:

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
I followed the quiz, which oddly enough read me like a book! I ended up with Bulbasaur, but I didn't want him, I switched to Oshawott. My partner turned out to be Riolu, whom I did stick with.

Has anyone messed around on Pelipper Island yet? I think it's cool that you get to play as pokemon you connect with, even if it's mostly ascetic. Speaking of, what sort of partners did you end up with on your first visit? I ended up with Pikachu, Chespin, and Fennekin myself.

Don't worry! You can get more looplets through dungeons and sometimes through the Kecleon shop, though the price varies depending on the type of looplet and how many notches it has. I have tons of them in my Deposit Box after completing the game.

Thanks! Whew..its still going to suck trying to replace those. I'm still kicking myself for losing them. I had decided to take a break from tackling Salamence by item gathering at one of the new dungeons that got unlocked....and I promptly got my butt kicked again (enemies evolving after defeating a teammate @_@). I ended up just going back to the very first dungeons for item gathering. My next attempt at defeating Salamence went much better..blast seeds and slumber orbs worked wonders :)

Last edited:

YZPQGMV

TRICK MASTER is cool
I followed the quiz, which oddly enough read me like a book! I ended up with Bulbasaur, but I didn't want him, I switched to Oshawott. My partner turned out to be Riolu, whom I did stick with. Has anyone messed around on Pelipper Island yet? I think it's cool that you get to play as pokemon you connect with, even if it's mostly ascetic. Speaking of, what sort of partners did you end up with on your first visit? I ended up with Pikachu, Chespin, and Fennekin myself.

I got Snivy (which I actually wanted) and Totodile. I also got Riolu, Fennekin, and Froakie for the Pelipper Island, which I've used several times to save my team. Using it means you have to save your progress, meaning that unless you have an Escape Orb, you're going to have to continue the dungeon without any Reviver Seeds.

Also, does anyone even bother with Progress Device +'s? They save your items and money if you lose after using one in a dungeon, but if you use one, you're probably going to just revert to that save rather than lose your progress, especially if you've come a long way. To me, they're just expensive Progress Devices.

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
If there's a good exp grinding spot I sure haven't found it [i'm now in the middle of chapter 14 now]. Honestly, as said before in this thread, I don't think level really means much in this game. The most important things are increasing your stats with vitamins and the like, using your moves regularly to increase their power/pp/accuracy, finding good emera [which isn't that hard especially in story dungeons], and practicing proper item management. If you keep a good inventory and get smart/creative with your items anything is possible despite your level.

Edit: Let me put it this way, like in my last reply I got to chapter 12 a good 2 levels lower than my friend yet my friend kept needing to be rescued and I hadn't gotten wiped once cause I've had better item management than they do.

I agree for the most part. Items and Emeras make a huge difference but I'd still like to be able to max out my Pokemon's levels if for nothing more than the sake of completionism. It also gives me something to grind.

Also a few tips for people who were having trouble defeating Dark Matter

For the first part of the fight you will be fully evolved with stats equivalent to what you'd have at level 100, so you shouldn't have much trouble defeating it. When Dark Matter starts charging its power, move to one of the squares that isn't highlighted or risk taking about half your health in damage.

The second part of the fight is much harder, as Dark Matter has drained the power from the Tree of Life to regenerate and armor itself, resulting in you devolving back to your normal form. In addition, Dark Matter is now surrounded by a protective armo
r that must be broken to defeat it. Damage done to Dark Matter is reduced significantly, and while Dark Matter doesn't actually do more damage, you have less HP, making his attacks far more dangerous. The easiest way I've found so far is to move both you and your partner at least 3 blocks away from Dark Matter (to stop it from using its mow down attack) and constantly pump ranged attacks into it. Moves that can lower Defense/or and Special Defense, and moves that hit multiple times are both very effective if they're available. As Treecko, I was able to defeat Dark Matter without using any Reviver Seeds by pumping Energy Ball into it and using Oran Berries to heal off damage from its long-ranged attack. My partner did faint a couple times though, because for some reason she kept trying to melee him and getting smacked by the mow down attack.

For reference, Dark Matter's attacks are...

Animosity: Targets either you or your partner and inflicts a random negative status condition.
Mow Down: Hits all targets within 2 squares of Dark Matter for 30-60 damage.
Long-range Strike: Targets either you or your partner and does around 30 damage. Less dangerous than the Mow Down attack.
Charge Attack: Dark Matter charges its power for 2-4 turns. Some tiles will turn red. Stay off the red tiles. When Dark Matter releases the attack, anyone standing on a red tile will take 70+ damage.

Every time Dark Matter's armor cracks, it will unleash a power wave that will blast you and your partner against a wall, resulting in you taking 5 damage. This actually works to your benefit as it puts you outside of the range of its Mow Down attacks and allows you to range kill it.

Last edited:

Dragoniss

So I have a question although this probably isn't the place to put it but I have no idea where to ask.

Has anyone figured out the difference between the Mega Donut, Sweet Chocolate, and Four-Leafed Cookie? They all say the same description but the Donut costs 3 gold bars whereas the others cost 2. I tried one of each and to be honest I couldn't tell a difference [I feel like effectively wasted my gold bars considering I could have gotten more if I just bought single vitamins but I wanted to see if I could tell a difference I couldn't].

Dragoniss

So I just started chapter 15 and I get to showdown Mountain I get spawned in a long vertical room. I see an enemy dot and their at the other end of the map so I go to pick up an emera that's right beside me. Come to find out that enemy was a Vibrava that used earthquake and killed everyone in one hit, and then it evolved. I've never hit the home button out of salt so fast. Time to save scum. That's not even challenge that's just straight up bull.

Where was there a spoiler in my post other than in regards to the battle with *****?

Just mentioning the name is a spoiler. I have no idea what that is as i'm not that far in the game yet. So now I know the name of something that i'm going to assume is a very plot important thing.

Last edited:

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
So I just started chapter 15 and I get to showdown Mountain I get spawned in a long vertical room. I see an enemy dot and their at the other end of the map so I go to pick up an emera that's right beside me. Come to find out that enemy was a Vibrava that used earthquake and killed everyone in one hit, and then it evolved. I've never hit the home button out of salt so fast. Time to save scum. That's not even challenge that's just straight up bull.

Haha, but room clearers have always been annoying in PMD though. I remember those Earth Power spamming Nidos in PMD2 always used to give me a headache.

Rakurai

I did a double take before looking up its OR/AS moveset when that happened for the first time. It's downright sadistic to have an evolved Pokemon with the strongest STAB move of its typing (Let alone a full room one) in a story dungeon.

Fortunately, I had a Pure Seed, so I just went "Nope", used it, then changed floors before it could KO my party members any more then it had.

Where was there a spoiler in my post other than in regards to the battle with *spoilers*?

Indicating that there's a boss that
isn't a Pokemon
could be considered kind of spoilerish, no?

Last edited:

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Moving on, I'm actually shocked at the fact that there was a Vibrava like that. I guess I should be glad I never ran into that because yeah that's insane. I actually never saw a Pokemon evolve into pretty late-game though either so there's that too.

So I have a question although this probably isn't the place to put it but I have no idea where to ask.

Has anyone figured out the difference between the Mega Donut, Sweet Chocolate, and Four-Leafed Cookie? They all say the same description but the Donut costs 3 gold bars whereas the others cost 2. I tried one of each and to be honest I couldn't tell a difference [I feel like effectively wasted my gold bars considering I could have gotten more if I just bought single vitamins but I wanted to see if I could tell a difference I couldn't].

I feel like there must be a difference but I honestly don't know if there is one. The chance to increase multiple stats with the sweets is still pretty cool though, all things considered, but single vitamins are definitely more consistent and cheaper.

Piplup-Luv

Piplups Are Awesome
So I did some tests in an easy dungeon and I think I figured out the hunger mechanic in this game and how it depletes so fast!

From my tests, pushing pokemon takes away 1 hunger point each push and sprinting down hallways in a dungeon quickly depletes the hunger bar quite rapidly so you actually have to manage that stuff.

Now, I'm probably an idit for asking this but...do you get Gold BArs from sparcly things inside dungeons/on the ground like in GtI? 'Cause I somehow have 6 of those things XD