• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon Story Discussion

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Discuss the story and characters of Super Mystery Dungeon here! As always, all forum rules apply and in particular, please keep really big spoilers under spoiler tags and mark them as such. That being said, if you're avoiding spoilers then you're reading this thread at your own risk.

Rakurai

I'm getting a similar vibe from this game's story as I did GtI.

At least in the sense that we've got something feeding off the negative emotions of Pokemon again, if that mysterious dialogue after chapter 4 is any indication.

Last edited:

LizardonX

Banned
Well I just got started. I like the gameplay but the overly juvenile story surrounding your adventures in pokementary school leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not too impressed by the hub town either.

Somehow I cannot see the "canon" partner as one of the more stoic starters AKA Froakie, snivy, treecko etc.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I feel extremely reprimanded by the...huge amount of chapters where everyone who's already evolved thinks of me as a mindless child who should never go away. That Teddiursa has my condolences for wanting to evolve already.

They did not treat me this way in the first two gens of this series!

Nibbles4Ever

1 more day ^^
It's kind of interesting that your partner is a trouble maker instead of a coward like in explorers.

Piplup-Luv

Piplups Are Awesome
Can someone who has figured it out PLEASE tell me how to keep my idiot partner from using ember on water types when it has other moves it can use and to NOT go after items when I'm trying to progress through the dungeon without death? (Seriously, at least in the first 3 games your partner used attacks that would be effective on opponents :/)

(And no, I can't just toggle it off as there are other Pokemon that aren't water-type in the dungeon)

Also, the small amount of in boss boxes worries me. There better be some REALLY GOOD aftergame like in the first 2 PMDs and not some simple event and then nothing else *Glares at PMD: GtI*

I feel extremely reprimanded by the...huge amount of chapters where everyone who's already evolved thinks of me as a mindless child who should never go away. That Teddiursa has my condolences for wanting to evolve already.

They did not treat me this way in the first two gens of this series!

Honestly, I kinda like it. It's different than the norm.

Last edited:

Rakurai

I like that you can run into cameos from the past games in town right off the bat. I've already seen Hydreigon (Who seems to be damaging the fourth wall again), Rampardos, and Quagsire from GtI, and Corphish, Scizor, and Gallade from Explorers.

Can someone who has figured it out PLEASE tell me how to keep my idiot partner from using ember on water types when it has other moves it can use and to NOT go after items when I'm trying to progress through the dungeon without death? (Seriously, at least in the first 3 games your partner used attacks that would be effective on opponents :/)*

As far as I've noticed, the AI is programmed to use whatever move will yield the highest damage on the target. Because its Fire type moves have STAB and bad type match-ups aren't as punishing as in the main games, there's a fair chance they're still dealing more damage then ineffective moves.

Last edited:

Navarch

I'm sort of kicking myself for rushing into buying this game. I'm not a fan of the story so far at all. Some of the graphics look pretty bad too. Chimchar's fire on its tail looks terrible. It's one of the reasons I'm now playing with Charmander as my partner.

Some of the text seems really childish; they're constantly repeating themselves. I really should have bought the game physically...I can't return it since I downloaded it digitally. Maybe it's because I'm in a bad mood today; I'll give it another shot or two but I'm not expecting too much.

Edit: The Chimchar tail thing seemed petty of me. I restarted again and kept her as my partner. Piplup and Chimchar just make too good of a team. Also, the story is getting a little better. I just have to give it time.

I'm loving the mechanics of the game. Everything feels smooth, and I like the challenge it brings.

Last edited:

Aura24

I like that you can run into cameos from the past games in town right off the bat. I've already seen Hydreigon (Who seems to be damaging the fourth wall again), Rampardos, and Quagsire from GtI, and Corphish, Scizor, and Gallade from Explorers.

I noticed that too!

Don't forget Emolga and Dunsparce. Emolga appears as one of the Pokemon that gives the mission to find Dunsparce in your Connection Orb.

Oshawotter

I'm about 8 hours in and starting chapter 6. So far, I love the game! The story and characters I think is what is really pulling me into this one, more so than any PMD I've played before.

I'm playing as a Cyndaquil and my partner is a Chespin.

I think out of all of the characters, I love the partner the most. I love how your partner is this troublemaker that many Pokemon seem to find so annoying, rather than a coward. I love the partner's personality so much. I actually feel like the game does a good job at making you feel connected to your partner.

diakyu

Yeah they really nailed the partner as a character this time. He only gets better as the story goes on too.

LizardonX

Banned
I find it hard to envision the partner as anything other than Piplup/Oshawott/Chespin.

Probably because he acts like one of their anime counterparts.

Oshawotter

I'm starting to actually realize that my Chespin partner is actually Clemont's Chespin in disguise.

Rakurai

Various thoughts on the story so far:

-They sure do love letting you troll everyone by saying no to things that you'll obviously be forced to say yes to eventually, though there were some parts that where it was a bit too much of a moment killer for me to give in to it. I'm not sure if the same thing happens if you say yes or not, but Nuzleaf's reaction to you declining his offer to stay at his house in the introduction is especially amusing.

-The pacing feels a lot more like Explorers with how there's generally multiple small story events before each major dungeon. GtI almost never made you stop to do missions in order to progress the story and as a side-effect felt a lot shorter.

- They seem to be placing even more focus on the partner this time around then in the past games, and their personality is a refreshing change of pace from how it was in the past titles. I've already gotten really emotionally invested in them at chapter 11 (Which I just know is going to bite me in the feels down the line)...

Last edited:

YZPQGMV

TRICK MASTER is cool
Haha, yeah. I say "no" whenever possible to see what their reaction is, even though it'll usually just ask again. Too bad the main character is sometimes a killjoy and sometimes says something like "I'm not sure they could take a joke right now." (THEN WHY DID YOU EVEN ASK ME??) before I get to see a reaction and then just says yes. It's always worth a try, though.

The pacing really felt like a huge improvement on Gates to Infinity. In past installments, there were several times where absolutely nothing would happen in the story until you do like 3+ days of jobs, which got pretty annoying. Gates to Infinity tried making the story more continuous by eliminating those filler days, but it did it in such a sharp degree where you'd end up going through a big section of the story almost every day. Super Mystery Dungeon managed to get it right, by usually having at least a little happen every day, but still keeping the big stuff separated.

I do like the addition of Pelipper Island, mainly because you could use it in case you got stuck at any point even in the middle of the story, as you can visit any dungeon you've been to if you need items. Unfortunately, you can only go as far into the dungeon as you have ever gone in the story. That means you might want to do jobs that require you to go through more than just 3 floors if you want to better take advantage of this nice feature. It's a shame there are no multiplayer missions anymore, but I doubt a lot of people took advantage of that anyway, or are even aware of them.

The first cameo mission I got to play was "Dunsparce is missing... AGAIN." from Emolga, which was pretty funny. A lot of characters from the past games are playable in this game, and if you beat their mission, you get to recruit them. You can really get some pretty powerful Pokémon this way early in the story, too. I had a Lv. 50 Salamence (though I had to face this particular one as a boss first, which is pretty hard at level 15), a level 43 Cobalion (also had to face as a boss), a Lv. 53 Bisharp, a Lv. 57 Alakazam, and a Lv. 55 Dragonite near the beginning of the game, but unfortunately, they have pretty low HP. Also, if you use a connected Pokémon in a dungeon, it becomes unavailable for a while.

There are also a ton of plot twists, and they're pretty good ones, too, that make you rethink the entire story. At one point, it was like: Plot Twist has Mega Evolved into Mega Plot Twist.

Also, I found that Pounce Wands were extremely useful when fighting the final boss.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I greatly dislike something in this game...

They give you a taste of power WAY too many times in the main story missions it's not even funny. They hand-hold you nearly all the time with ridiculous party setups, story mode is actually Easy Mode in disguise. And when it's not this...

It's you and your partner going Power Rangers and steamrolling every fool who laughed at you for being a mere child. These scarves were made out of Digimon technology LITERALLY.

It's only passable when you chose two guys/gals of the same typing, but beyond that, you're practically pals with Jesus in your Mawile or something.

Last edited:

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I greatly dislike something in this game...

They give you a taste of power WAY too many times in the main story missions it's not even funny. They hand-hold you nearly all the time with ridiculous party setups, story mode is actually Easy Mode in disguise. And when it's not this...

It's you and your partner going Power Rangers and steamrolling every fool who laughed at you for being a mere child. These scarves were made out of Digimon technology LITERALLY.

It's only passable when you chose two guys/gals of the same typing, but beyond that, you're practically pals with Jesus in your Mawile or something.

I felt that way at first, but the fact that the allies you get aren't just shrugging off hits they're iron walls made it feel less ridiculous. Also the fact that they don't heal while walking like the rest of your party resulted in them using more Reviver Seeds than my own team was using. It wasn't that hard as long as you stacked on the Reviver Seeds, but good god those dungeons would be disgusting without them.

Also from an aesthetics standpoint I loved having the huge party going through the dungeons, especially later in the game.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I felt that way at first, but the fact that the allies you get aren't just shrugging off hits they're iron walls made it feel less ridiculous. Also the fact that they don't heal while walking like the rest of your party resulted in them using more Reviver Seeds than my own team was using. It wasn't that hard as long as you stacked on the Reviver Seeds, but good god those dungeons would be disgusting without them.

Unless they were part of the tri-team, in which case it happens a lot and mitigates the Tiny Reviver Seed issue.

YZPQGMV

TRICK MASTER is cool
Also from an aesthetics standpoint I loved having the huge party going through the dungeons, especially later in the game.

Same. I was kind of surprised that it put 7 people in my party, though it's too bad you can only have 3 non-guest Pokémon. You can't use items on guests without throwing them, either, and you have to actually find them if they faint. I tried throwing a looplet at one of them, and they took 2 damage instead of catching it :(