• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Juanthemovie

Pokemon Master
(This theory credits Juanthemovie and King Fish so dont go stealing our theory)
Ok so after having a long talk with my friend discussing about all the possible location and story relevant areas on the new Paldea map, we got to the topic on one major thing about that map. THE GIANT CLOUD COVERED CRATER IN THE MIDDLE OF THE REGION!!! It was pretty hard to tell what the heck its suppose to be or even how it came to be, until I remembered a crucial detail within the Pokemon worlds history and geography. Let me explain.

First off we all know that the Paldea region is suppose to be the real world equivalent of Spain. And of course right next to Spain is..... FRANCE!!! aka Kalos. Even more convincing is that in the Paldea map there is some extra land in the top right corner that's covered up by some clouds indicating that it is connected to another landmass. If some of you are skeptical of this fact just look at these 2 images.
IMG_4841.png

Now knowing the fact that Paldea and Kalos are right next to each other I told my friend, "Hey, do you know about the Ultimate Weapon from X and Y?" and him not knowing it made me go to the wiki and research more on AZ and the Ultimate Weapon. After looking at images and reading through wiki's it became much more clearer. For anyone also not remembering let me re-tell the story, 3000 years ago in Kalos, a Great War was going on between Kalos and an unnamed region. AZ which is also revealed to be the king of Kalos 3000 years ago had a awesome looking Floette. blah blah blah the floette dies and AZ decided to create a machine to bring it back to life using a bunch of Pokemon's life force. After he attempts to save his floette, AZ wanting revenge on the war that killed his floette he repurposed the machine into the "Ultimate Weapon." He fired the weapon aiming at the sky and the giant laser blast came back down from space and hit.... somewhere. It is unclear where it hit but the attack from AZ was big enough to have killed thousands and also to stop the Great War. The Image below shows the machine being fired and destroying an unnamed town.
IMG_4847.png

So then after looking at this last image with the giant explosion, would you believe that this explosion caused the giant crater we see in Paldea? But if you need even MORE evidence, though I doubt the pokemon company would go this deep within the lore, this so-called "Great War" also happened in real life! The Franco-Spanish War which happened in 1635-1659, granted it was around three hundred years ago instead of 3000 plus there wasn't any ultimate weapon the french used but nevertheless its got some major similarities. Ok, I will say the Franco-Spanish War part is a stretch but considering the whole AZ and the Ultimate Weapon story and THE HUGE CRATER IN THE MIDDLE OF PALDEA it would make sense. Also we don't have any other location that the weapon would have hit anyways.

Now you must be asking me, "Juan! this theory is stupid! what about the darkest day 3000 years ago in Galar!!!" and I will say "shut. shut up. just shut your little mouth." The Darkest Day in Galar never had anything to do with the ultimate weapon. I looked through all the facts that we know about the Darkest Day and everything mentioned didn't have any explosion or any mention of any kind of weapon. The cause of the darkest day was of Eternatus (even though the whole backstory of Eternatus is vague) and the saviors of that day are the legendary doggos. I will say it being also 3000 years ago is pretty interesting but it has no other connection to the ultimate weapon other than the approximate time it happened.

Lastly, the crater in Paldea also is a crater we have never seen before. We have seen many....MANY different craters in pokemon ranging from small ones to huge ones in lots of different areas, but none as big as the one in Paldea. And for a weapon to be able to stop a huge war it would have to leave a huge mark to make sure it actually ends and wont just start back up again.

That is it! That's all I got to say on this topic. Of course I have other theory's more gameplay related like the function of those colored light houses on all 4 sides of the region but if I kept going this would be a few pages long. Thanks for reading if you read all the way through and hopefully I am right. If it does confirm this once the game is out I will come back and probably say I WAS RIGHT. Well anyways thanks again and adios.

P.S.: Ill probably make a video talking about this on my YT channel "Juanthemovie" if you want to watch it.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Interesting theory, but this begs the question of how Mega Stones were created if the blast was hundreds of miles away.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I believe that's an anomaly that is the source of Terastal energy, created thousands of years prior to the events of the series. I think that it has nothing to do with any other region, especially not Kalos. If that was the case then Mega Evolution would have been available in these games, and that is unlikely.

Juanthemovie

Pokemon Master
Interesting theory, but this begs the question of how Mega Stones were created if the blast was hundreds of miles away.
Ah, but alas I have also thought of that. The power of the Ultimate Weapon was powerful enough to change regular stones into mega stones. Kind of like if you place some steak underneath a NASA rocket and it launches you will see that the steak is just obliterated from just it launching.

tbh this is a bit of a stretch but it would make sense

Juanthemovie

Pokemon Master
ALSO I saw BirdKeeperToby's newest video today and he practically said almost the same exact thing I said about the theory and Im actually really happy that everyone is also thinking of it too

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I just know that the crater gives me serious Made in Abyss vibes

Det. Viper

That’s Detective Viper to you
This theory makes sense but given that GF dont like Kalos, I doubt they will do something with this idea =[
The theory makes sense but it leaves a plot hole of why the Terrastal phenomenon happens in the region and not mega evolution. I hope there are zero references to Kalos as the reason for the crater.
If they dont have at least a named connection to Kalos through even the littlest dialogue then Gamefreak is making a mistake by not mentioning kalos
I would hope for someone at the regional hotel to say something along these lines: “We get a lot of visitors from the Kalos region just north of here.” I would be satisfied with that.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
If they dont have at least a named connection to Kalos through even the littlest dialogue then Gamefreak is making a mistake by not mentioning kalos
They can't really do a lot of major Kalos connections without giving players access to Mega Evolution.

Baggie_Saiyan

They can't really do a lot of major Kalos connections without giving players access to Mega Evolution.
Ehh I don't know. From what I remember Mega's didn't seem that steep in the culture of Kalos (how many mega battles did one face in the games? I can't remember there being many)

Smeargle-Sketch

Sketcher of Smeargles
Ehh I don't know. From what I remember Mega's didn't seem that steep in the culture of Kalos (how many mega battles did one face in the games? I can't remember there being many)
Literally just Diantha, Lysandre and Serena in her post game rematch.

Meanwhile ORAS had the Elite 4, Steven, Archie, Maxie, May, Wally and Zinnia use mega evolution

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Although Mega Evolution and the Ultimate Weapon itself are important parts of Kalos lore. It would be weird to reference Kalos in a significant capacity and not include one of the most defining features of the Kalos games.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Just stuff it in the not-Mega timeline. Easy explanation and Youtubers get more fuel for their fan theories. Everyone wins.

ShadowForce720

Didn't ORAS confirm Mega Stones (and Mega Evolution itself) originate from Rayquaza?
Nope, the only thing ORAS really confirmed was that Rayquaza was the first Pokémon to Mega Evolve.However all the other Mega Evolutions and all the Mega Stones were a result of the Ultimate Weapon firing.

Gargoss

Hotshot
Nope, the only thing ORAS really confirmed was that Rayquaza was the first Pokémon to Mega Evolve.However all the other Mega Evolutions and all the Mega Stones were a result of the Ultimate Weapon firing.
I don't remember anything in ORAS saying that the Ultimate Weapon was involved in the Mega Meteorite that created Mossdeep City's Crater. Because it was the Impact of said Meteorite that triggered the empowerment of the Mega Stones around Hoenn, not the energies of the Ultimate Weapon being fired!

"The Meteor was intercepted by Rayquaza and blasted, but a sizable chunk still got through the Atmosphere and created the Mossdeep Crater. The energy radiating out of the large piece was noticed by the Legendary Pokémon Groudon and Kyogre, drawing them towards the abundant power source...

At the Crater, the Two Titans met and clashed - Hoenn's Weather went wild, rapidly changing between Blistering Heatwaves and Torrential Downpours! It was then that the Draconid People called out from the Sky Pillar, and Rayquaza came down from the Ionosphere and used the debris it consumed from the damage it caused to the Meteor to Mega Evolve, giving it the strength to stop the clashing Legends and send them back to their lairs. The weather returned to normal, and Mega Rayquaza flew back to its own realm far above the Clouds..."

This was my interpretation of the original Battle of the Primal Legends that Zinnia refers to in the Delta Episode of ORAS, and in no place in it or Steven Stone's take on the Legend does AZ's Ultimate Weapon have any part! I don't know the exact words used in-game, but that's how things basically played out: Meteorite hits Mossdeep pre-civilization; Mega KeyStone attracts Primal Groudon and Primal Kyogre; the two Legendaries fight; Rayquaza Mega Evolves to stop the fighting; and the Day is saved, thanks to The Powerpuff Girls the Draconids and Mega Rayquaza!

Unless there's in-game proof that the Ultimate Weapon created an energy shockwave reaching all the way to the area of Japan that Hoenn's based off of activating stones Half a World away, then it's safe to assume that it's not the cause of Mega Stones in Hoenn!