1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Switch 2019 Discussion

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation 8 Discussion' started by Kage-Pikachu, Jun 9, 2018.

1. furyfairyeryn

furyfairyeryn Member

To be fair, mega evolution is already seen as somewhat cruel and implied to be painful, and Gen V already went in depth on ethics of treating Pokemon well, so it wouldn't be all that out of place to have a fusion mechanic that ends up being questioned by the story later on as to its "rightness." Could be interesting.

2. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

I hope that there isn't a lot of Gen 1 pandering in these games.

naruciakk and Kawaii Emolga like this.
  3. WhiteBlair

WhiteBlair Master Breeder.

I wonder how the events will work out for Generation 8 since Switch is, and potentially the new pair of games will be, region-free. As of current USUM events, European players download legendaries via Wi-Fi while the same Pokémon are distributed via GameStop codes in US which I find it divisive.

Perhaps the account's region we use may determine how we'll get the events. That way, a device bought from the US can benefit from the EU ones.

4. Mega Altaria

Mega Altaria The best Mega Evolution

Yeah considering save files for LGPE are linked to the My Nintendo account associated with the Switch, which could also apply for these games. But even so I still wonder if they will retain the regions used for previous games or have events for individual countries.

Kage-Pikachu likes this.
  5. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

You’ll get the events however your country/region’s Nintendo office says you will. There will still be situations where some countriesor region get them via immediate download and others get a serial code card, which, no, is not particularly divisive.

Nintendo and their retail partners will still be in the business of preferring you walk into a retail store and potentially buy something, if they can help it. You probably won’t, but the point is you might - when all you have to do is turn on your system and tap a few buttons, you’re definitely not going to buy anything from Target or GameStop.

6. WhiteBlair

That doesn't necessarily answer my question however. You might not have an official Nintendo Office in your country, although mine is counted as Europe, and you also may want to buy a device in US if the prices are inflated in your region. In that case, I may have a US device despite it being a region-free, but using it in Europe instead.

Since NTSC and PAL being no longer the case, how possible is that Nintendo Office(s) can determine which region's event you benefit from? Keep in mind, there aren't Target and GameStop everywhere in the world, so it would put a customer in a huge disadvantage to buy a US device if the events' approach will be the same as it is now. Fingers crossed our Nintendo accounts are taken into consideration for the future series.

7. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

The notion of buying hardware from one region and using it in another region seems especially odd - even if the different display standards are no longer a thing, the different power plug types of the world are and a system bought in one country and taken to another won’t have the right kind of power cord in the box. Do people actually do this? It would seem like whatever money is saved by importing just goes right back in to having to obtain the right power source separately. That doesn’t seem relevant to the issue of events, but it likely means Nintendo isn’t going to much factor in people who import hardware.

Ultimately, again, I don’t think anything will change - between North America, Japan, and the various parts of Europe, some regions will get them via serial code cards, and some will get them via Wi-Fi. Target and GameStop are irrelevant - there are different retail chains in Canada and in Europe that serve the same purpose in this particular context.

I suspect that what region a game considers itself will still be determined by where it was purchased and that North American software will access North America events, European software will access European events, and so on, but we’ll find out.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  8. WhiteBlair

Using an adapter to change the power plug, or purchasing a new one specifically for EU or US, is a much easier process to buy the device from a different region. Most people 'have to' do that if they don't have official Nintendo distributors in their countries, or have the prices inflated enough in their regions to search for alternatives to buy for a reasonable price.

With Target, GameStop, I mean I could've included EB Games, Wal-Mart and sorts, but not every region has of them nor are supplied with codes to access events. Specifically for that case, I believe Europe often follows the Wi-Fi trend.

How plausible would that be if we consider the software as American or European as Switch games are region-free, but it'd be nice if an official explanation for that would be made as soon as the Online feature for Switch goes live.

9. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

No game is region-free - video game software always has some kind of identifier as to what region it was manufactured for and sold in. Your game is still North American or European or whatever. It’s not always visible to us (beyond the obvious like packaging and labels) but the real question is only ever whether the hardware manufacturer chooses to use that internal marker to lock out the software from the hardware if the regions of the two don’t match. I suspect that will still dictate what events a given Pokémon game is intended to use.

I suspect there will be no official explanation solely because Switch Online goes live - Pokémon is largely the only game where this will matter, and it will still be two months off when the online services launch. Other than that, the Switch’s online infrastructure (like the eShop) isn’t new, and what Switch Online does bring won’t differ from region to region - it’s not as if North American players are going to play software online any different than European gamers. The service will predate LGP/E by two months and we don’t know to what extent or even if they’ll bother with events for those games. So I would not expect any kind of official explanation for something this minutely specific, that exists solely at the intersection of several different conditions and variables, some of them hypothetical.

10. Sulfurian

Sulfurian Well-Known Member

Just give me some new megas, or a move/item to make an older mon better. New wifi arena that we can pick and with several choices. Like battle- forest or battle- beach. Better breeding routes so our control stick doesnt break. New type combination, buff hail more, and maybe give us the ability to play sound tracks from across all generations when we want to. Oh and please a better wifi area than the garbage festival plaza was.

11. JohnLynch

JohnLynch Well-Known Member

I think the harsh reviews of Ultra Sun (even in Japan) will see a move away from the last generation and into new territory.

I expect we'll see less cut scenes, less "go here and click A lots of times" markers. However I do expect there will be one route you can travel down (much like in 95% of Pokemon Blue/Red).

What I do think we'll get is more openness in the areas themselves that we travel in. Instead of a forest with a straight path that you can travel down, we'll see a forest with a path but then the freedom to move off the path and among the trees. Towns won't have a single path to travel through with all other pathways gated off by literal gates "wet with paint". The game will still have zones though and it will have gyms you need to complete to get past.

What I want when I say a BotW style game is a game with a controllable camera. The ability to move off paths. And I do want random battles to be gone. The zones can reset the pokemon within it (which will make shiny hunting wild Pokemon harder) when you enter and leave the zone. But I want to be able to move past a couple of trees in a forest, come upon a clearing and see a deer pokemon sitting there. You can still have turn based combat that is initiated by the player throwing out a pokemon (rather than by the random Pokemon) pouncing on the player. Although perhaps some pokemon (such as spearow like pokemon) would pounce the player and initiate the combat.

To keep it Pokemonesque you wouldn't have climbing. You wouldn't have swimming. Players can still be corralled into a set zone order progression. But removing random battles would help make the game a bit more immersive while being a minimal change to the actual game (randomness of Pokemon available is determined upon entering a zone instead of when a battle starts).

12. Zaide

Zaide Well-Known Member

If they do go the open world route, I just don't want a vast open world like Skyrim, BOTW, etc. I would prefer something in the likes of the Tales Of series. Basically, for those who don't play those games, a set of vast areas, but not overwhelmingly vast, connecting different locations - an openworld with bottlenecks, sort of. Bottlenecks that would open up upon meeting certain conditions (gym badges, where you are in the story, etc.).

And then, maybe add several secret/optional areas that you can discover in various ways, kind of like Ni No Kuni 2. An area surrounded by mountains only accessible by flight, a meadow accessible by cutting down some bushes, a cave accessible when breaking down a weakened rocky facade, places opening up upon completing puzzles, etc. These areas could hide rarer and stronger Pokémon, items like mega stones, z crystals, TMs, etc.

Making a greater use of the various moves Pokémon can learn would be fun too, without necessarily forcing the players to teach HMs to their Pokémon to advance in the story. Mostly just for exploration purposes, and keep Pokémon rides for the more important stuff.

In regards to flying, the "open world" I described above could definitely be designed to work with free roaming, although I'd keep that for late in the game, once most of the world has been explored. Bring back the undersea, too, which would be a nice way to hide even more secrets.

I think a world like this would work perfectly for Pokémon. And I think it would fit perfectly with an idea I've seen someone post here a couple weeks ago of separating your quest to become the champion from the main story.

Kage-Pikachu and DBK like this.
  13. Sulfurian

I don't think Pokemon as a franchise is ready to become a giant open world like skyrim. There's still so many things that need to be polished or made better before we get there. Post game took a massive hit downwards around gen 6. Not to mention several features that leave but then randomly return later on. It can definitely become bigger though, make a region feel more like a region instead of routes feeling cramped together.

Ducolamia and RileyXY1 like this.
  14. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff

Pokémon doing a game similar to BotW doesn’t make much sense.

RileyXY1 likes this.
  15. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

It's understandable if the 2019 game doesn't go full on BotW, that is a big ask for a developer with no experience in the console market, but that really should be the end goal here. Exploration focused adventure games are one of the biggest sellers in the console market, and open world is the ultimate form of that type of experience. And seeing as Pokemon's core gameplay does qualify as an exploration focused adventure game it only makes sense for Pokemon to follow in this direction. Whatever the case, map design should definitely be improved in some capacity as Pokemon is light years behind the standard for a 3D console game. There's games as old as Pokemon itself that are outdoing Pokemon in that area, which is pretty sad.

16. Bolt the Cat

Town (the new RPG by Game Freak announced in yesterday's Direct), looks like it has more effort put into its world design than the recent Pokemon games, which is also pretty sad. If this doesn't end up being a glorified tech demo for the 2019 game and 2019 ends up being more linear than this, I'm done with this series until they make a Pokemon game that feels more like this.

17. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

The side-project digital-only Switch game that by its own admission takes place in a single town has more design work than the last few 3DS games that took place across a whole region, you say?

You've been done with this series for the last however many entries. If you keep making that promise, you're going to have to make good on it eventually.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  18. Bolt the Cat

When that whole region is full of linear, simplified maps as opposed to a single, large, open ended town? Then yes, yes it does.

At the very least this looks like a tech demo of what the 2019 game should be like. If they'd have made this into Pokemon's 2018 filler game instead of LGPE, the fanbase would be a lot happier right now. At least this wouldn't come across like it's trying to subvert the core entries.

Just this one. The 2019 game, especially its first gameplay trailer that shows footage of the region, is going to be the main factor there.

M.P. and Sulfurian like this.
  19. Sulfurian

I'm with you there. I'll still probably play showdown until nintendo decides to shut it down one day if 2019 turns out to be a bust. These days you can be a fan that never accepts any criticism or you can be someone who can see past all the shiny graphics that the franchise needs something more.

M.P., Trey pokes and Bolt the Cat like this.
  20. Creyk

Creyk Well-Known Member

Doesn't that make perfect sense though? Town is a brand new game, they have to prove themselves, put their best foot forward to attract players. With pokemon, this has not been the case for the last 5 years. They always do the bare minimum they can get away with, they give you just enough to convince you to buy the games but don't go all out to please their audience. And why would they put in the effort? The fans buy the games in really great numbers anyway.

Kage-Pikachu likes this.