• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Switch Theme Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So every Pokemon generation has some kind of theme to it and a lot of them have meaningful or fun themes.

If I were to sum up the main themes of the current seven generations, it would be...
Kanto - Adventure/Gotta Catch Em All!
Johto - Tradition and Culture
Hoenn - Nature
Sinnoh - Mythology
Unova - Yin and Yang/Co-Existence
Kalos - Beauty
Alola - Family/Friendship

I feel like the 7th generation best represents both a meaningful and fun theme. On one hand, it's region is centered around the idea of Pokemon and people willing to help each other out and it's been done through not only the lore but also through it's SOS battle system. On the other hand it also has a ton of fun themes too through it's legendary mascots and the Ultra Beasts, representing the fictional trope of inter-dimensional space invaders from the great beyond.

So while there is a "central theme", not a single generation is bind to one theme but all kinds of topics and fun ideas of fiction to touch upon, usually through either the region itself, legendary groups, or lore.

With that being said... what kind of themes, meaningful or fun, do you want to see the 8th generation touch upon through either it's region, legendary groups and mascots, or it's lore.

Ultra Beast Lover

Change-It's a new generation on a new system and a lot's happened in the last several years, infinite TM usage, HMs are gone, Pokemon amie/refresh, customization etc., it'd be interesting if they'd explore the idea that staying the same forever isn't healthy but constantly changing without appreciating the changes that were made isn't good either.

Teamwork-Previous generations did this but this gen could take it further. There's the evil team and a team that's opposing them, one rival that fights them alone and often gets into trouble because of it, another who depends on the team and her Pokemon but doesn't know what to do if her Pokemon and the team can't save her. Then there's you, the PC is the balance of the two in that they work with the team but they know how to act without the team and if seperated from their Pokemon.

Ashton Ketchum

For me, theme of 8 generation should be - traditions versus innovations/maturation.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
For me, theme of 8 generation should be - traditions versus innovations/maturation.

One of the rumors for this game stated that the theme of the game was innovation vs. tradition. I'm inclined to believe it. That would be the perfect theme for this game because it mirrors what's happening in the series right now and the conflict between its fans. With the series making the jump to console it's at a crossroads, it can either embrace the leap in hardware and make radical changes to the series to adapt to it or keep things the same for the sake of consistency. I could easily see them going for something like this.

Friendshipper

Gotta Love 'Em All
Well, it's the Switch we're talking about so I want something different than the usual. Change, diversity, flexibility and balance would make a good themes in my opinion.

But personally, I have always wanted a Pokemon game that gives me the feeling of adventure and freedom, mystery and exploration, that there are many unexplored things in the huge world of Pokemon. Something like Zelda, One Piece, HxH put together but in a Pokemon way.

Change-It's a new generation on a new system and a lot's happened in the last several years, infinite TM usage, HMs are gone, Pokemon amie/refresh, customization etc., it'd be interesting if they'd explore the idea that staying the same forever isn't healthy but constantly changing without appreciating the changes that were made isn't good either.

This. Exactly what I want to say.

Teamwork-Previous generations did this but this gen could take it further. There's the evil team and a team that's opposing them, one rival that fights them alone and often gets into trouble because of it, another who depends on the team and her Pokemon but doesn't know what to do if her Pokemon and the team can't save her. Then there's you, the PC is the balance of the two in that they work with the team but they know how to act without the team and if seperated from their Pokemon.

Wow..That's a very interesting theme if you ask me. It may gives new methods of battling and challenging if handled well.

Last edited:

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Scifi. Ugh I so want a scifi region!!!

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
If it is this I'd want one version to be a full powered Switch title but the other being held back to mirror it

Status
Not open for further replies.