• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Sword and Shield Characters Discussion Thread

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
So basically, there's going to be a 'secret' villain again cause there's no way in hell Yell's going to be competent enough to do a big plot without some help
I hope they try and make it not seem so freaking obvious, or better yet pull a 'Oh, you thought Rose was the bad guy? lol No, it was this person you'd never have expected!' A twist that always works nice whenever it's done. Like Leon, we need an evil champion already

Autobot N

So basically, there's going to be a 'secret' villain again cause there's no way in hell Yell's going to be competent enough to do a big plot without some help
I hope they try and make it not seem so freaking obvious, or better yet pull a 'Oh, you thought Rose was the bad guy? lol No, it was this person you'd never have expected!' A twist that always works nice whenever it's done. Like Leon, we need an evil champion already
I think it'd be cool to make it seem like Rose is the villain at first, when in actuality Oleana is the evil one.

Ultra Beast Lover

Guys, look at Bede's official artwork XD dude has a fanny pack.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I mentioned this in the general discussion, but I can’t shake the feeling that Bede has some sort of connection to Bea or Prof. Magnolia since he has some similarities to both of them. Maybe he’s related to one of them or something.

As for Marnie, I haven’t read about her personality yet but just from the trailer alone she’s my favorite spin on the team leader to date. Rather than being an adult purposely forming the evil team for whatever reason (even Ya Boy Guzma falls victim to this), Marnie actually a rival who’s the trainer’s age and Team Yell just consists of her hyper obsessed fans (though I think a better name for them is something like Marnie-ites). I don’t see her being a jerk rival, but I think she could end up being a more polished version of rivals like Hugh or Gladion where they’re serious, challenging, and worthy of the term “rival” while still being on decent terms with them.

shadowF

Anyone thought Bede was a female/grandma first glance? Anyone I think both characters look cool, Bede gives me a Silver/Paul superiority complex and Marnie gives me a Gladion/Guzma vibe. Calling it now the Pokemon league is rigged and Bede is the chosen one by Rose/Oleana to take down Leon and we are suppose to stop him and overcome the odds.

Also seems like Bede gets the stronger starter (since Hop gets the weaker starter) while Marnie gets Morpeko as her partner.

Missingno.Fan

Anyone thought Bede was a female/grandma first glance? Anyone I think both characters look cool, Bede gives me a Silver/Paul superiority complex and Marnie gives me a Gladion/Guzma vibe. Calling it now the Pokemon league is rigged and Bede is the chosen one by Rose/Oleana to take down Leon and we are suppose to stop him and overcome the odds.

Also seems like Bede gets the stronger starter (since Hop gets the weaker starter) while Marnie gets Morpeko as her partner.
When I first saw him I thought he was an old lady. He looked nothing like I was expecting him to look.

catzeye

Writer's Block
I'm getting a vibe here that there maybe an establishment vs anti-establishment theme brewing with our rivals.

Marnie gives off an outsider vibe (as punk/emo/goth subcultures tend to fall outside the mainstream). So far she is the only one of our rivals who we know isn't sponsored (as of yet). We know from the July trailer that sponsorships is just one way to get into the Champion cup, but what we don't know is how likely it is for you to get into the Champion Cup without a sponsorship (my speculation is that it's pretty low). This would explain Team Yell being her fans (another group of people who seem to be outside of the mainstream). Her goal could be to dismantle the current Galar league establishment so that everyone has a chance to participate.

Besides being smug, Bede gives off an aristocratic vibe. I can see him being part of a noble family who has a history of producing great trainers. They made a point to mention that he was sponsored by Chairman Rose (who also sponsors Leon). I can see some shady things with Bede like maybe his family gave Rose a lot of money to sponsor him to dethrone Leon. He would be pro-establishment as it benefits him if he is actually from an aristocratic family. It looks like he probably treats our character with a bit of disdain, he'd likely do the same to Marnie. Hop is 50/50 depending on whether if Hop and Leon's family were working class prior to Leon becoming champion or if they were established as well. I also get the vibe that he is either after a Galarian legendary.

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Bede's smirk at the player reminds me too much of Blue (Rival) from Gen 1. Are we getting another jerk rival? Also as for Marnie, she seems like the responsible serious one even though Team Yell does the opposite of what she wants. I gotta say, the three rivals we are getting are looking promising. Actually no, the cast of characters we are getting for Sword & Shield together looks promising.

aerial_ace

Oncr again they reveal new characters and once again the designs are on point. I love Marnie already she seems quite calm and collected but the fact she owns morepeko could mean she has another side to her personality.
Bede is weird in a good way... He seems like an old gradma but also looks like a jerk. Is anybody able to translate the dialog from Japanese trailer to give us an idea if he is mean/jerk etc? This guy i think will be a baddie of this gen with some twisted reasons to win the league.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I'm getting a vibe here that there maybe an establishment vs anti-establishment theme brewing with our rivals.

Marnie gives off an outsider vibe (as punk/emo/goth subcultures tend to fall outside the mainstream). So far she is the only one of our rivals who we know isn't sponsored (as of yet). We know from the July trailer that sponsorships is just one way to get into the Champion cup, but what we don't know is how likely it is for you to get into the Champion Cup without a sponsorship (my speculation is that it's pretty low). This would explain Team Yell being her fans (another group of people who seem to be outside of the mainstream). Her goal could be to dismantle the current Galar league establishment so that everyone has a chance to participate.

I REALLY like this idea. They could have it so that Marnie is sort of like an anti-hero who wants to change the way the Galar League is run for the better & tries to achieve her goal through honorable methods. However, her fans strongly believe in her ideals because they hate the status quo of society, so they form Team Yell and (like a lot of toxic fandoms) go to extreme measures and take things too far to push for a change in the Galar League and ultimately makes Marnie & her goals look bad as a result.

Last edited:

catzeye

Writer's Block
Oncr again they reveal new characters and once again the designs are on point. I love Marnie already she seems quite calm and collected but the fact she owns morepeko could mean she has another side to her personality.
Bede is weird in a good way... He seems like an old gradma but also looks like a jerk. Is anybody able to translate the dialog from Japanese trailer to give us an idea if he is mean/jerk etc? This guy i think will be a baddie of this gen with some twisted reasons to win the league.

This is a very rough translation someone did on tumblr. Doesn't reveal much except that a) Bede definitely gives off unfriendly vibes and B) something about Chairman Rose. I'd wait until we can get a good translator to rush to any conclusions as it was a very rough translation courtesy of Google Translate. I'd really like someone to translate Marnie's and Team Yell's text as well.

I wonder whether the player character gets their initial endorsement from Prof. Magnolia or Sonia?

We get it from Leon (who also endorses his little brother Hop).

This fact actually makes me think that our initial encounters with Marnie might be a tad hostile at first (because I'm certain everyone in the region will know if Leon actually sponsored someone as I'm getting the idea this may be the first time he has ever done that) until she gets to know us. I've been racking my brain to figure out if Hop and Leon are from a privileged background originally or became privileged once Leon became champion. I'm leaning towards a rags-to-riches story because it could lead to an interesting dynamic between Hop and Marnie with Marnie dismissing him and any struggles he might have (I'd almost bet that Hop is not going to have the same impressive track record as his brother) as just another one of the "privileged elite" until he goes off on her stating that his family didn't always have it easy.

shoz999

So this is probably unlikely but what are the chances that GameFreak might be pulling a Yellow for Bede? Basically GameFreak is telling us that Bede is a guy but underneath the thick jacket is actually a girl? As in for some reason, Bede may be disguised as a guy?

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Now all of you can stop complaining that we need mean rivals again

Really liking Bede and Marnie’s design. Wasn’t looking forward to them based on the leaks’ description but I’m glad to be proven wrong. I wonder if the former has the starter super effective against ours. I also think Galarian Reuniclus could be his “ace” like how Hau had Pichu/Pikachu shown who ended having Alola Raichu be his ace

Yell is the opposite in terms of expectations: was looking forward to it but I’m very disappointed. I haven’t liked an evil team since Galactic. Really like their theme and color scheme tho

shoz999

Now all of you can stop complaining that we need mean rivals again

Really liking Bede and Marnie’s design. Wasn’t looking forward to them based on the leaks’ description but I’m glad to be proven wrong. I wonder if the former has the starter super effective against ours. I also think Galarian Reuniclus could be his “ace” like how Hau had Pichu/Pikachu shown who ended having Alola Raichu be his ace

Yell is the opposite in terms of expectations: was looking forward to it but I’m very disappointed. I haven’t liked an evil team since Galactic. Really like their theme and color scheme tho
lol. The fanbase is never going to stop complaining about that. When Sword & Shield is over, they'll go back to doing that.

Anyways something just hit me. Although this is a stretch, if this Bede is like an antagonistic/jerk version of Yellow, I wonder if he will have a team themed around psychic powers, not psychic types but psychic powers? The color tones and that Duosion seem to imply that.