• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Sword and Shield Characters Discussion Thread

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I'm very much looking forward to interacting with Bede. He seems to be the first antagonistic rival since Blue, and the first self-preserving rival since Hugh. I do hope he's as big of a cuntnugget as he appears. lol

Marnie seems alright. For now, I feel like I'm getting more out of her fans than actually her. I'll just have to see how the story develops.

Hop is a British Hau. 'Nuff said.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
I hope Bede and Marnie aren’t more mommy/daddy issues characters. N, Gladion, and Lillie elevated the story and were good characters, but having Bede be a Gladion redux with significantly less edge right after SM’s family-fueled plot would just be pushing it. Marnie already looks like Lillie with a fresh coat of paint; all of these rumors about her being the Queen or Rose’s daughter don’t help at all. If they’re going to reuse that parent/child struggle, then it needs to be unique and fueled by another issue than abusive parents (which is not a bad conflict at all; but has been touched upon very much in SM and BW and would I like a break before it’s attempted again? Yes).

SurrealistSmeargle

While I agree to an extent, some of the potential parental-issues-plots that seem possible for the likes of Marnie and Bede wouldn't be ones we've hit before. Most of the previous parental-issues have been about parental neglect, or manipulation, rather than necessarily a pushy-parent type deal, which the League set-up and Marnie rumours would provide a suitable framework for. It would be interesting to see a character pushed into high achievement and perhaps struggling with it (which could happen with Bede or even Hop) or rebelling against a parent's intended path for them (as could be the case if any of the Marnie-Queen rumours end up being true). Overall though, I agree, I'd prefer to take a break from characters defined by their parental relationships.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
We’ve had quite a lot of cliche parent and child tropes: evil parent, child wanting to make their own path instead of following their parent’s, the exact opposite of that (child feels they need to live up to their parent’s reputation) just to name a few

catzeye

Writer's Block
I hope Bede and Marnie aren’t more mommy/daddy issues characters. N, Gladion, and Lillie elevated the story and were good characters, but having Bede be a Gladion redux with significantly less edge right after SM’s family-fueled plot would just be pushing it. Marnie already looks like Lillie with a fresh coat of paint; all of these rumors about her being the Queen or Rose’s daughter don’t help at all. If they’re going to reuse that parent/child struggle, then it needs to be unique and fueled by another issue than abusive parents (which is not a bad conflict at all; but has been touched upon very much in SM and BW and would I like a break before it’s attempted again? Yes).

Yes I agree it needs a break. That's why even though I know it's not nearly as popular of a theory, I've been touting one the main struggles to be between Hop and Leon. That alone gives a fresh dynamic because it's between brothers and not a parent child. I think Hop could be a darker take on Hau as Hop from what little we know seems to be more driven and not as carefree as Hau was. I could see him struggling through his gym challenge and taking it really hard because of how much he wants to defeat his brother. While we don't know much about Hop and Leon's relationship, from what we've seen (Hop seems to look up to Leon, and Leon seems to be supportive of Hop by being there when he gets his starter and endorsing him) it's reasonable to assume that their relationship is good at the beginning. However I can defiinitely see a storyline where their relationship grows sour as Hop takes on the gym challenge before they patch things up. This again would be different from other family dynamics we've seen since they've been shown to be rocky from the start.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
I really hope we will get some extremely strong trainers who did not get the official endorsment to show how corrupted and unfair the League is on Galar:)

J. D. Guy

While I agree to an extent, some of the potential parental-issues-plots that seem possible for the likes of Marnie and Bede wouldn't be ones we've hit before. Most of the previous parental-issues have been about parental neglect, or manipulation, rather than necessarily a pushy-parent type deal, which the League set-up and Marnie rumours would provide a suitable framework for. It would be interesting to see a character pushed into high achievement and perhaps struggling with it (which could happen with Bede or even Hop) or rebelling against a parent's intended path for them (as could be the case if any of the Marnie-Queen rumours end up being true). Overall though, I agree, I'd prefer to take a break from characters defined by their parental relationships.

I concur with the top half of this post. That is, there is definitely room for more familial dynamics with the characters, including storylines pertaining to negative parental issues that affect the parents'/parental figures' child/children. N with Ghetsis along with Gladion and especially Lillie with Lusamine do not cover all (or even most) of the angles a "kids with parental issues" story can cover (even when also including what little can be gleamed with Silver with Giovanni). I look forward to what Sword and Shield has to offer in this regard, assuming they choose to go this route within the story.

I'm really looking forward to how things with Hop go. Whether they really go the directi0n some assume (Hau, but more British and fashion trendy), or they go deeper (make Hop's discontent more overt, more quickly/readily than Hau's), or they go another direction, or multiple directions blended together, I hope they milk Hop and Leon's relationship, in one fashion or another. The more they do, they more I am sure it will benefit both characters.

Even if it's still not something we've had before.. a case of "No mum, that's your dream, not mine." is a massive cliche.

Ehhh. It can be. But it's one of those things that's, from my perspective at least, kind of timeless. And perhaps arguably even not "cliche" enough. Sometimes it feels like a story not really told, even if there's been variations across cultures and generations. It's why I feel it's "timeless".

And for Pokemon, especially the games, it hasn't happened nearly enough with nearly the needed ubiquity throughout the games (in parts more than the designated "important" characters) for me to feel it's a cliche in Pokemon's stories.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 384931

Maybe she used to be a famous trainer or something. That at least fits Galar's theme.
In Alola you mom wasn't a famous Ryhorn racer or a nurse or a Pokémon coördinator or the wife of a gym leader. I am excited. Maybe your parents are famous characters in the pokemon universe?

Ultra Beast Lover

I wouldn't mind the mom having a job, I mean it's kinda a waste to have a fully designed character only appear in a single place and not do anything, as long as said job isn't the reason we get a Pokemon. I wouldn't mind if they gave us the player an internal conflict to, kinda like with BW except darker and deeper. The characters in the game always say that our avatar looks more mature which is fair enough in universe and maybe it's true for some players but wouldn't it be cool if you had the option to help the evil team? Like say we really are going to fight against what the league's become, the players knows the whole thing's wrong and are forced to choose between Marnie and Hop, your two best friends by now, Marnie wants to strike at the heart of the problem with Team Yell while Hop feels that they should not help people who cause so much trouble.

Either option gives you pretty much the same storyline, go with Hop and you continue the challenge as normal with occasional fights with Marnie, go with Marnie and your gym battles are essentially scouting missions with one or two missions that involve making sure that Team Yell doesn't bother Hop or Bede while they fight. Zamazenta/Zacian still let you catch them even if you choose Marnie because you made a hard choice to do something good. Honestly all that really changes is that Hop, though understanding, doesn't smile or act excited in your interactions if you choose Marnie and if you choose Hop then Marnie's dialogue and demeanor become more frustrated.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I had a thought about Hop’s character arc:

What if he gets the easy way out for battles so he can look good because he’s naturally associated to Leon. A Gym Leader might go easy or outright give him a Badge without a fight. Leon and/or Rose are trying to form him into the ideal successor of Leon. At first he’s oblivious and starts overestimating his abilities. He gets frustrated but once he learns his accomplishments weren’t from his own strength, he’d go back to earn his own strength

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I had a thought about Hop’s character arc:

What if he gets the easy way out for battles so he can look good because he’s naturally associated to Leon. A Gym Leader might go easy or outright give him a Badge without a fight. Leon and/or Rose are trying to form him into the ideal successor of Leon. At first he’s oblivious and starts overestimating his abilities. He gets frustrated but once he learns his accomplishments weren’t from his own strength, he’d go back to earn his own strength
I feel like Hop's character is basically... hey there Big Bro! Big Bro, your so awesome! No one can beat my Big Bro except me! ANIKI!?!

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
The NPC league cards seem interesting, a bit like a like the fame checker from frlg but not at all like it either, more like trainer cards but also somewhat like the fame checker, well if you squint.

aerial_ace

On the official artwork for pokemon camps we can see two new characters they seem a lot younger than protagonist. I wonder if they will introduce us to pokemon camps and cooking and give us hints and tips about recipes...

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I wish for once they would give the moms something to do besides stay in the house all day. Like having a parent with a career outside of Norman would be pretty neat.