• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Sword and Shield Characters Discussion Thread

SpiritSkye

#ShieldGang
Perhaps Marnie's family owns a gym that hasn't been rotated out of the Minor league for awhile and she is joining to gym challenge in order to help the reputation of her family's gym? Over the course of the story we could find out why her family's gym has not been promoted to the Major league which could fall into couple of reasons
  • Maybe Chairman Rose and other league higher ups dislike the gym based on typing (which would be really interesting if the typing is dark) or maybe they dislike her family members and so they keep it in the minor leagues out of spite
This is a super interesting thought, thanks for sharing!

Marnie having a Morpeko, which is Electric/Dark, works really well for this (though I’m sure you’ve already noted that), as well as Team Yell using the Galarian Zigzagoon line, which is Dark/Normal, and being huge fans of hers. If she were to be the child of/future heir to the Galar Dark type Gym, and it’s never or very rarely promoted to the Major League because it’s Dark, that would be a really interesting story.

Though it might upset people if that means it can’t be battled.

Last edited:

Ultra Beast Lover

Maybe the reason there haven't been other dark type gyms is because of how demonized they got by Rose? If Galar is where Gym Battles started then it stands to reason that they have an influence on what region has what gym. Marnie's family could've figured out that something shady was going on so Rose pretty much banished their gym to the minor leagues, they try to move and start their own gym in another region and Rose tells the other leagues that, "Hey, some shady people are trying to start a dark type gym as a cover for their criminal activities, we have reason to believe that they have connections to Giovanni. Close all dark type gyms until further notice." A little bribe here, some manipulating of the champions/E4 there, and Marnie's family have to stay in Galar. Heck, throw Grimsley into the mix, something made him leave the E4, maybe he's related to Marnie and the whole thing affected him to.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Maybe the reason there haven't been other dark type gyms is because of how demonized they got by Rose? If Galar is where Gym Battles started then it stands to reason that they have an influence on what region has what gym. Marnie's family could've figured out that something shady was going on so Rose pretty much banished their gym to the minor leagues, they try to move and start their own gym in another region and Rose tells the other leagues that, "Hey, some shady people are trying to start a dark type gym as a cover for their criminal activities, we have reason to believe that they have connections to Giovanni. Close all dark type gyms until further notice." A little bribe here, some manipulating of the champions/E4 there, and Marnie's family have to stay in Galar. Heck, throw Grimsley into the mix, something made him leave the E4, maybe he's related to Marnie and the whole thing affected him to.
Or maybe it's just because most people don't want to be known as the "Evil" Gym.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Do ya'll think we'll see Professor Sakuragi and his daughter Koharu in these games or do you think they are anime only characters. Or even Go for that matter??

It's rare that the anime has like exclusive important character outside of like rivals and stuff. The main characters are usually in the games too though.

SpiritSkye

#ShieldGang
Do ya'll think we'll see Professor Sakuragi and his daughter Koharu in these games or do you think they are anime only characters. Or even Go for that matter??

It's rare that the anime has like exclusive important character outside of like rivals and stuff. The main characters are usually in the games too though.
I don’t know anything for sure, but since they live in Kanto it seems unlikely to me. We could always see them in passing, or even before they moved to Kanto, though.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
We don't see Ash in the games, so I highly doubt anyone in the new Pokémon anime series will be in the game unless they were designed specifically for the game.

This is a super interesting thought, thanks for sharing!

Marnie having a Morpeko, which is Electric/Dark, works really well for this (though I’m sure you’ve already noted that), as well as Team Yell using the Galarian Zigzagoon line, which is Dark/Normal, and being huge fans of hers. If she were to be the child of/future heir to the Galar Dark type Gym, and it’s never or very rarely promoted to the Major League because it’s Dark, that would be a really interesting story.

Though it might upset people if that means it can’t be battled.

If that's the case, I'd guess they'd be postgame content, as something special for you, the protagonist, for letting them have the credit they deserve. It is an interesting idea.

That being said, I'm guessing Team Yell uses the Galarian Zigzagoon line in part because they share Team Yell's loud aggressiveness and because, as their goal is to impede and obstruct people, Obstagoon is the perfect Pokémon for them.

If so, would that mean that Alola truly does not operate by the same rules as anywhere else? Then again, I guess Nanu's a Kahuna, not a Gym Leader, so technically, he wouldn't be bound by those rules.

Or maybe it's just because most people don't want to be known as the "Evil" Gym.

Despite that, we do still have Dark-type Elite Four members (and the aforementioned Nanu, who's one of the biggest forces of good in Alola), none of whom are actually evil except for Malva. But I guess the Elite Four keep a lower profile than Gym Leaders. Alola is the only region I can think of where they don't just remain cooped up at the Pokémon League and you never see them anywhere else doing anything else. (You also get to see Grimsley outside of the Pokémon League, where he looks like he has a lot of pent-up energy he needs to release.)

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I like how all the characters in the game (or at least the ones we know of) have some sort of connection to Leon: we and our rivals want to take his position (Hop has the added bonus of being his brother), Sonia is a childhood friend and it seems Magnolia seems to be familiar with him, Rose/Oleena sponsor him, the Gym Leaders prepare challengers for him, and Team Yell wants to stop others from getting in Marnie’s way to challenging Leon.

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
We see Lorelei before the end of the game too, but it might be only in the Lets Go games.

Only in the Let's Go games.

True. Lorelei was also seen outside the Elite 4 during FRLG's Post game, as her absence is one of the reasons why you can't re-challange the E4. I think only the Sinnoh games and Aloha games are the only games where a Elite 4 member was seen before the player got to the Victory Road. I'm not counting Caitlin, Koga or Lance as they're not seen outside the E4 in the games when they're a E4 Member. (Caitlin in the Gen4's Battle Fronter, Koga in his Gym for RBY/remakes, and Lance is Champ in GSC/HGSS.)

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
Okay, the overview trailer has sold me on Leon. His design might be a little eccentric, but--I can't believe I'm saying this--he's actually pretty cool? (I really like his facial hair. Curse my weakness.)