• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Sword and Shield Characters Discussion Thread

catzeye

Writer's Block
It's certainly possible Leon isn't the villain, it's just that whenever a synopsis or character description says, "This new character is super strong and beloved by everyone." It usually turns out they're either a fraud, not a good person, or both.

While I'll agree with you there, I do think this time Leon might actually be legit. I actually did a bit of research on his namesake (Leon is named after the dandelion). The symbolism of a dandelion has overwhelmingly positive connotations. Now that doesn't mean GameFreak can't make him a fraud or evil, but I think it's unlikely. Now his brother Hop has a namesake that has some darker connotations.

I think the reason we're seeing him so early is that we're going to get a chance to really see a champion as a human being, and not just an enigmatic and powerful figure. Since GameFreak likes using family's in plots (like in Sun and Moon) I'm have a theory that we'll be seeing a strained relationship between Leon and Hop that sours once Hop begins his journey. I also think we'll see Leon maybe not all that happy in the role. Maybe he really is that good and is tired of not having a real challenge. Or he is tired of not having much of a private life. I do think he lost to Sonia once in an unofficial battle though.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Idk, something felt off about Leon from when I first saw him. He might be a good guy deep down but did some shady things, idk, I get a vibe.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I dont think hes a bad guy, probably just some1 who wants power and in the end realizes how mistaken he was..

You don't have to be a bad guy to do shady things lol.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Regarding the theory that Sonia might be the real Champion of Galar, I find it unlikely. I certainly wouldn't mind that kind of twist since it would be a pretty interesting revelation, but just judging from what we know about Sonia so far, she seems too low-key to be that kind of character from my perspective.

catzeye

Writer's Block
Unpopular opinion but I’d prefer if we didn’t have Leon being a bad guy. Just screams “too obvious” with the timing of his reveal like Aether Paradise.

Same here. I think an evil champion would be an interesting take, just not with Leon since they just showed him outright. I'd rather have an evil champion who is kept as a surprise until we meet them in-game with their relationship to the evil team kept under wraps.

I feel like Leon is just going to play a bigger role, which is a nice change. I think with this regions focus on celebrity-status of Trainers we might instead see him go through a character arc with dealing with fame.

To @Leonhart I agree I don't think Sonia is a secret champion. I do think Leon lost to her once (or more than once) during their journey. They only said he was undefeated in official matches, so unofficial matches are fair game.

Lord Godwin

The Lord of Darkness
Regarding the theory that Sonia might be the real Champion of Galar, I find it unlikely. I certainly wouldn't mind that kind of twist since it would be a pretty interesting revelation, but just judging from what we know about Sonia so far, she seems too low-key to be that kind of character from my perspective.

I think it would work in any other Generation but not this time around. If Gym Leader battles are watched by tons of fans imagine what is happening during Championship fights.

I'm more for the idea that Sonia defeated him in the past.

WolfCypher

Has this thread discussed the default designs of the player characters? I love the simplicity to their looks, that they are wearing clothes I can see actual people wearing. There's nothing to animé or exaggerated about them. I honestly may not edit my male character sans taking away his hat.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Has this thread discussed the default designs of the player characters? I love the simplicity to their looks, that they are wearing clothes I can see actual people wearing. There's nothing to animé or exaggerated about them. I honestly may not edit my male character sans taking away his hat.

I like the males design too except for that god awful suitcase on his back, My back hurts just looking at it.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I like the males design too except for that god awful suitcase on his back, My back hurts just looking at it.
Yea I'm no fan of it either. I hope we're able to switch them out to different ones if we're able to.

Ultra Beast Lover

I'd love to see Ryuki appear here though according to the timeline some games take place during one of the games in a generation. Gen three takes place at the same time as gen 1, gen four takes place at the same time as gen 2 I think, B2W2 takes place at around the same time as XY so SuMo/USUM and SWSH probably take place at the same time.

DannyDark

Had to google who Ryuki was, having skipped USUM, and.. that's one hell of a look.

But from the sounds of it, he seemed intent on becoming an Alolan Dragon-type Gym Leader? So, unless this takes place before or well after USUM, then him actually being in Galar wouldn't make too much sense, right?

Him being from Galar, though, I could definitely see. With the UKs history of Rock music, and the tough theme befitting a Dragon trainer, he could definitely originate from Galar. So perhaps a mention or a family member could make appearance, if anything.

Though I'm skeptical how many throwbacks there will be.. they seem to be intent on making SwSh something of a fresh start to the games, going forward.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Imagine Professor Magnolia being the true villain of the game and Leon is the misdirect? That would be ballsy of Gamefreak to have a professor be the villain for once.

I just noticed this, do we know what the pokemon on her cane is??

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Most likely just Corviknight, though some people have suggested it could be what Corviknight evolves from.

Ah, I can see the Corviknight similarities when doing a side by side. It does seem smaller though so perhaps it is the pre evo.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Lion Demon said:
Imagine Professor Magnolia being the true villain of the game and Leon is the misdirect? That would be ballsy of Gamefreak to have a professor be the villain for once.

I've read theories about Dande (Leon) possibly being a villain, but this is the first time that I've read a theory about Magnolia possibly being evil. I remember people speculating that Nanakamado-hakase (Professor Rowan) would be a villain back in 2006, and I think most people just assume that if a character looks too serious or strict, that it increases the odds that they have some kind of hidden agenda.