• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Sword and Shield Characters Discussion Thread

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
lol. The fanbase is never going to stop complaining about that. When Sword & Shield is over, they'll go back to doing that.

Anyways something just hit me. Although this is a stretch, if this Bede is like an antagonistic/jerk version of Yellow, I wonder if he will have a team themed around psychic powers, not psychic types but psychic powers? The color tones and that Duosion seem to imply that.
Can we LET this game be merit to be judged for once ?

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Marnie kind of seems like an inverse Guzma, keeping her fans from starting trouble rather than encouraging it.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I'm calling it! GameFreak is going to pull a twist and that for some reason Bede is secretly actually a girl underneath that thick jacket and his team is going to have a Pokemon team themed around psychic powers! Not psychic-types but psychic powers which can include Pokemon like Golduck or Ninetails or Gengar!

Redstar45

I don't think Pokemon is ready to pull a Yellow, don't ask why they just aren't. Though I could see Bede having a psychic theme, not sure how the starter would fit other than being stronger than yours because he's a jerk

Survey says no
My survey said YES !!!
I am not sure if i wanna do a judge game on what special manga or anime alreadly did

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Enough of the arguing. Continue it, and you'll get infracted. This is a general warning.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Team Yell looks pretty awful. I thought Skull was a nice departure from the overzealous, over the top teams we had gotten with Aqua/Magma, Galactic, Flare, and maybe Plasma (terrorists, yes, but not willing to destroy the world or the concepts of time and space) but they still had legitimate and surprisingly realistic reasons for acting out and causing trouble. Yell has...none of that. Couple that with the busy designs, and yeah, I’m not feeling them. I hope the game can prove me wrong though.

I really do like Bede and Marnie however. I think their designs are nice and instantly establish personality, and their own respective roles in the story I’m really curious about. Bede is obviously a jerk, but besides that, he has to have a deeper connection to Rose and Oleana than just a sponsorship. Marnie gives off that “pivotal focal character” vibe imo, like N and Lillie before her, and I hope they give her the substance and motivation of those two.

Last edited:

shoz999

Team Yell looks pretty awful. I thought Skull was a nice departure from the overzealous, over the top teams we had gotten with Aqua/Magma, Galactic, Flare, and maybe Plasma (terrorists, yes, but not willing to destroy the world or the concepts of time and space) and but they still had legitimate and surprisingly realistic reasons for acting out and causing trouble. Yell has...none of that. Couple that with the busy designs, and yeah, I’m not feeling them. I hope the game can prove me wrong though.

I really do like Bede and Marnie however. I think their designs are nice and instantly establish personality, and their own respective roles in the story I’m really curious about. Bede is obviously a jerk, but besides that, he has to have a deeper connection to Rose and Oleana than just a sponsorship. Marnie gives off that “pivotal focal character” vibe imo, like N and Lillie before her, and I hope they give her substance and motivation.
I think it's pretty neat. They are basically similar to Team Skull but instead are toxic sports fans that Marnie is probably somewhat embarrassed of, like Plumeria if you think about it, but also serve as the antithesis to the Chairman's control over the Pokemon League who probably wants someone else to be Pokemon Champion or secretly manipulates behind the scene to have Leon continue as the Pokemon Champion despite Team Yell's protests and Marnie probably knows about the Chairman's activities or someone else's activities behind the organization of the Pokemon League because she is quite possibly the daughter of Chairman Rose according to a detail that @UltimateNinja pointed out. Who knows, once the real villain is revealed, they'll probably assist you because they think helping you will help Marnie.

shoz999

Someone on Reddit pointed out this logo on the Poké Jobs screen:

6wcaahh2a3f31.jpg

This logo also happens to be on the top left of the male Yell Grunt’s black shirt.

Thoughts?
Klinklang is in Pokemon Sword & Shield? AWESOME!

EDIT: WAIT A MINUTE... On closer inspection, I originally thought it was just a creative design choice... but is that possibly a Galarian form of one of Klinklang's gears? It kind of looks like a ninja star.

clbgolden12

Alolan (and soon to be Galarian) trainer
Klinklang is in Pokemon Sword & Shield? AWESOME!

EDIT: WAIT A MINUTE... On closer inspection, I thought it was just a creative design choice... but is that possibly a Galarian form of one of Klinklang's gears? It kind of looks like a ninja star.

I’ve seen that pointed out as well.

It looks a little like a snowflake, so maybe Ice-type?

shoz999

I’ve seen that pointed out as well.

It looks a little like a snowflake, so maybe Ice-type?
Perhaps. I always liked the ice/steel-typing. So many bad weaknesses but the trade-off is that it has great offenses against both dragons and fairies. You should also post your findings in the New Pokemon Speculation thread. This is quite an interesting find.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Someone on Reddit pointed out this logo on the Poké Jobs screen:

6wcaahh2a3f31.jpg

This logo also happens to be on the top left of the male Yell Grunt’s black shirt.

Thoughts?

Oh fun!!

I hope it's real. I like that line in theory, but feel there is a better design, specifically for the final stage. And I kinda hope that they make it a bit more usable with a new more interesting type combo.

shadowF

I'm getting a vibe here that there maybe an establishment vs anti-establishment theme brewing with our rivals.

Marnie gives off an outsider vibe (as punk/emo/goth subcultures tend to fall outside the mainstream). So far she is the only one of our rivals who we know isn't sponsored (as of yet). We know from the July trailer that sponsorships is just one way to get into the Champion cup, but what we don't know is how likely it is for you to get into the Champion Cup without a sponsorship (my speculation is that it's pretty low). This would explain Team Yell being her fans (another group of people who seem to be outside of the mainstream). Her goal could be to dismantle the current Galar league establishment so that everyone has a chance to participate.

Besides being smug, Bede gives off an aristocratic vibe. I can see him being part of a noble family who has a history of producing great trainers. They made a point to mention that he was sponsored by Chairman Rose (who also sponsors Leon). I can see some shady things with Bede like maybe his family gave Rose a lot of money to sponsor him to dethrone Leon. He would be pro-establishment as it benefits him if he is actually from an aristocratic family. It looks like he probably treats our character with a bit of disdain, he'd likely do the same to Marnie. Hop is 50/50 depending on whether if Hop and Leon's family were working class prior to Leon becoming champion or if they were established as well. I also get the vibe that he is either after a Galarian legendary.

I get the same vibe! Perhaps Bede awakens a powerful evil Pokemon in order to beat Leon since he doesn't see any other way to dethrone him but it ends up having consequences for the region and it is up to us to call upon the cover legendary in order to fight the evil Pokemon?

I am now thinking perhaps Leon is not a fraud or a bad guy but just a really Powerful Pokemon trainer who no one can beat. I also can't see Marnie staying evil by the end of the game, she is definitely getting a redemption arc.

shoz999

I get the same vibe! Perhaps Bede awakens a powerful evil Pokemon in order to beat Leon since he doesn't see any other way to dethrone him but it ends up having consequences for the region and it is up to us to call upon the cover legendary in order to fight the evil Pokemon?

I am now thinking perhaps Leon is not a fraud or a bad guy but just a really Powerful Pokemon trainer who no one can beat. I also can't see Marnie staying evil by the end of the game, she is definitely getting a redemption arc.
I did had another theory. Unlike the Yellow one where GameFreak probably just looked at Pokemon Adventures for ideas kind of like Gen V possibly, this one idea I have really is completely just a hunch but nevertheless I do think it's an interesting possibility. What if Bede is actually the evil Pokemon himself? An extension of his will or like Zoroark, can disguise himself as a human? If that rumor of the evil Pokemon is true of course.

Redstar45

I did had another theory. Unlike the Yellow one where GameFreak probably just looked at Pokemon Adventures for ideas kind of like Gen V possibly, this one really is completely just a hunch but nevertheless I do think it's an interesting possibility. What if Bede is actually the evil Pokemon himself? An extension of his will or like Zoroark, can disguise himself as a human?
We had that in Pokemon animated film and bwand bw2 it is not new take on Pokemon series

MewsTruck

Team yell seems as if they should be Roxies crew from B2W2... I'm liking Marnie alot. And Bede still has to rub off on me a bit. I like that he seems to be a "jerk". But the design with the grandma like hair is throwing me off, maybe if it was different color at least or something.

Anyways, nothing so far has me disappointed as much as others in this game. So hyped !