• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Sword and Shield Characters Discussion Thread

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Team yell seems as if they should be Roxies crew from B2W2... I'm liking Marnie alot. And Bede still has to rub off on me a bit. I like that he seems to be a "jerk". But the design with the grandma like hair is throwing me off, maybe if it was different color at least or something.

Anyways, nothing so far has me disappointed as much as others in this game. So hyped !
Now that you mentioned it, I can see Roxie and Marnie being best friends.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I wish Bede had black or dark brown hair. The white/blonde hair with that purple trench coat just... isn't doing it for me tbh.

LOVE Marnie's design! She looks really good.

I've not been overly disappointed by any of the character designs so far, in fact, I love most of them... Milo is very unsettling though

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Anyone else find it a bit strange that Team Yell is so obsessed with Marnie of all people? Seems kinda random. I wonder if there's something else going on here.

I am also wondering about that.

Team Yell are inspired by football hooligans, with the vuvuzelas and all. I could see Marnie being a public figure/celebrity of sorts. But I found it more fitting for Yell to support a Gym Leader, an Elite Four or Leon, but not Marnie.

I'd also like to think that Yell might be "paid" to support Marnie and are not true fans. Why though, I don't know.

Also, if you think about it, there could be bigger fan clubs out in Galar, but why Team Yell of all groups makes me curious.

Orphalesion

I'd also like to think that Yell might be "paid" to support Marnie and are not true fans. Why though, I don't know.

Not sure about them being paid. But it sometimes seems to happen that the people with the money want to push and promote something/someone new to a existing fanbase in order to revitalize fan interest, creating artificial hype that then can become real, maybe Rose wants to push Marine (with or without her consent) as the "next big trainer" after Leon and so he promoted her in a way that created team Yell?

catzeye

Writer's Block
I get the same vibe! Perhaps Bede awakens a powerful evil Pokemon in order to beat Leon since he doesn't see any other way to dethrone him but it ends up having consequences for the region and it is up to us to call upon the cover legendary in order to fight the evil Pokemon?

I am now thinking perhaps Leon is not a fraud or a bad guy but just a really Powerful Pokemon trainer who no one can beat. I also can't see Marnie staying evil by the end of the game, she is definitely getting a redemption arc.

I could definitely see Bede (and possibly even Hop if they want to give his story a dark turn) trying that. As more and more characters are released it really is looking like Leon is legitimately powerful trainer that people might want to use extreme measures to take down. Another option is perhaps the league has taken hold of one of the legendaries? With the whole "Oleana created the Dynamax band to allow for Dynamaxing in non-Max Raid dens" thing, it's possible she was able to created by having captured some legendary. Maybe Bede is aware of this (due to connections) and wants the legendary for himself.

Anyone else find it a bit strange that Team Yell is so obsessed with Marnie of all people? Seems kinda random. I wonder if there's something else going on here.

I think there are two ways this can go. The first way is what has been mentioned is that Marnie could represent the disaffected Galar trainers (the ones who can't obtain sponsors) and is trying to make the Galar league a level playing field so anyone can participate. If the Team Yell members were people who weren't able to obtain sponsors, I can see where they might become fans of someone like Marnie (who as far as we know doesn't have sponsor) and her progression through the Galar League.

The other reason that was stated by other users is that people may be paying Team Yell to act like obnoxious fans in order to cover up some dirty schemes. Like whenever Team Yell is present, some other shady business goes down that no one knows about because everyone is focused on Team Yell.

Not sure about them being paid. But it sometimes seems to happen that the people with the money want to push and promote something/someone new to a existing fanbase in order to revitalize fan interest, creating artificial hype that then can become real, maybe Rose wants to push Marine (with or without her consent) as the "next big trainer" after Leon and so he promoted her in a way that created team Yell?

That's a very interesting point. I was thinking that Rose would likely push Bede more considering that he gave him a sponsorship, but I could see him (or someone else) secretly having a hand in Marnie's popularity to stir up drama.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Maybe that company with Klink in the logo is paying Team Yell to support Marnie since the grunts have its logo on their shirts.

Or, the Klink Company saw the potential in Marnie due to her mass popularity and endorsed her, which is the mandatory requirement to participate in Gym Challenge, and advertise their brand all around Galar through her and her supporters; Team Yell.

shadowF

I could definitely see Bede (and possibly even Hop if they want to give his story a dark turn) trying that. As more and more characters are released it really is looking like Leon is legitimately powerful trainer that people might want to use extreme measures to take down. Another option is perhaps the league has taken hold of one of the legendaries? With the whole "Oleana created the Dynamax band to allow for Dynamaxing in non-Max Raid dens" thing, it's possible she was able to created by having captured some legendary. Maybe Bede is aware of this (due to connections) and wants the legendary for himself.

Yeah that is how I see it happening. We haven't gotten any lore in Zacian and Zamazenta but it appears that they are the defenders of the Galar Region and are protecting it from an unknown evil. Since the theme of these games as quoted by Shigeru Ohmori is "The biggest theme in these games is the idea of being the greatest or the strongest. " Then that means everyone is striving to be the strongest. Perhaps Leon is the strongest and everyone wants to take him down no matter the consequences, so Bede or Marnie unleash a powerful evil Pokemon with the help of Oleana or Rose in order to defeat him but it turns out they cant control the Pokemon and it would be up to us to save the day. I am 100% calling the the final battle being the main character teaming with Hop, Marnie and Bede in a Max raid battle versus the evil powerful Pokemon to defeat it before we take on the Champion Cup and face Leon.

Blaziken10285

The Dojo Master
I really like the character designs for SwSh so far. Galar is the first cooler region that we've gotten since Kalos, since Hoenn and Alola were both island/tropical regions and Kanto is just kinda... temperate? I don't know; Kanto has never felt like it had much of a climate identity, but everyone seems to be happy in shorts. As such, it makes sense that people are a little more bundled than they would have been in Alola, especially. While I feel like the games have always done well in fitting the player character's wardrobe to the location, these last couple of generations have really done a great job in designing the full cast for the region. The internet (me included) seems to think every new character (well, maybe with the exception being the professor and her assistant) will be the evil mastermind of the game, which just tells me that they all seem interesting. We want to learn more about how all of these people will fit together, which seems like a marked improvement from some entries in the franchise where the characters just seem to exist for some reason.

I love that Team Yell was real, and their grunts seem like they'll be satisfying punching bags. Being soccer hooligans just sounds so British to me, but I find the toxic fanbase connection people almost instantly made even funnier. I think they'll end up being somewhat sympathetic thugs like Team Skull. Hopefully they'll have a similar charm with their mannerisms and music as Skull did, but it seems promising so far! The fact that they show up in the background when we battle Marnie is a great touch to further show their devotion.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Honestly the only novelty of having a jerk rival is pretending to wreck them, other than that it can be hard to feel engaged in battles with them. Silver felt kind of interesting but I like when the rival makes you think, "Y'know, maybe there's another way to train." Or in Barry and Hugh's case, "Yay another chance to prove I'm the better trainer!"

Not for me. I had enough of those friendly people who treat you like their best friends on their first meeting. We haven't got a new jerk rival since Gold&Silver and now as we finally got one more, I don't want to look back to characters like Trace or Hau. Bede still can turn friendly as time goes. This is called character development and it's something I miss when we're talking about rivals. Not that they're many of them with decent development, in case it's only Silver (and maybe Cheren), but that's the reason I want another one. Maybe we'll get even two with Marnie, depends of her whole character and how they'll lay her out in the story. And for those people who don't want jerk rivals, there's still Hop.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Gamexplain pointed out a lot of interesting details about Bede. He doesn't sound like he just wants to be at the top. He sounds like he wants the whole freaking hierarchy.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I am also wondering about that.

Team Yell are inspired by football hooligans, with the vuvuzelas and all. I could see Marnie being a public figure/celebrity of sorts. But I found it more fitting for Yell to support a Gym Leader, an Elite Four or Leon, but not Marnie.

Also, if you think about it, there could be bigger fan clubs out in Galar, but why Team Yell of all groups makes me curious.

Yeah, Leon would make a lot more sense to have a rabid team of fans (would also explain why he's never lost). Marnie not so much. I could see them being paid off to support Marnie.

I think there are two ways this can go. The first way is what has been mentioned is that Marnie could represent the disaffected Galar trainers (the ones who can't obtain sponsors) and is trying to make the Galar league a level playing field so anyone can participate. If the Team Yell members were people who weren't able to obtain sponsors, I can see where they might become fans of someone like Marnie (who as far as we know doesn't have sponsor) and her progression through the Galar League.

And that's another thing that's strange about this dynamic, they didn't mention Marnie's sponsor. So either she doesn't have one as you said (but then how would she even be allowed in gyms and awarded badges?) or her sponsor is a plot spoiler. Maybe Oleana?

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
I have a theory about Team Yell.

I think Marnie may have a not so easy past and the Team Yell member heard something about this, get emotional about her and forming a Team to support her. Obviously not knowing that they're doing it not in the right way. What kind of incident is the real question here. Maybe she embarassed herself or got humilated in a battle. Would also explain her calm character, trying not to show any emotions.

Dragon Pulse

I have a hunch that Marnie could potentially be Rose’s daughter, and Rose is paying Team Yell to be her “supporters”, since he wants to push her as the Champion and is using Leon for some ulterior motive.

Last edited: