• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Espeon4232

Long Time Fan
The only things that I really want to know before the games come out is the starters and the box legends. I'd rather discover new forms or Pokemon or even features as I play.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
Well apparently a lot of people changed the starter they would have chosen when the 7th gen starters leaked. People were disappointed with Decidueye especially. Showing them off before launch allows for people to change their minds if the final form turns out to not be something they want.

That’s understandable, but it’s the “change for the better” part that I’m wondering about. While there are people who don’t mind looking at the new Pokémon or starter evolutions, there are those who don’t want to be spoiled no matter what.

Even though I didn’t mind looking at the new Pokémon for Sun and Moon, I am hoping to avoid seeing a lot of them for Sword and Shield. And I would really hate if I saw Scorbunny’s evolutions before playing. I know it’s my responsibility to avoid the Internet around the time closer to release, but if news of Pokémon or starter evolutions become officially stated, then that just makes it harder for people to avoid in general.

DannyDark

Huh, I may be one of the few where Decidueye was the only starter evolution I liked from the current/previous generation.
But yeah I definitely appreciated seeing them beforehand; I was dead-set on choosing Popplio but can't stand Primarina and so knowing prior to playing really saved my ass from disappointment later on.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Seeing Incineroar just cemented not only Litten as my starter but Incineroar as my favorite Pokèmon

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I disagree. What’s so unquestionable about revealing the whole starter evolutions before game release? Spoiling the evolutions only disregards the idea of discovering new Pokémon for ourselves. I disliked Sun and Moon’s prerelease for revealing most of their new Pokémon in addition to the final starter evolutions.

I get it for other Pokémon, but starters are extremely important. You've got to know what starter you want before you start playing, and the final form of the starter is the single most important factor in choosing what starter you want. There should be no mystery surrounding such an important choice. Going into a game without knowing what your starter is going to evolve into is just asking for disaster.

I totally understand and agree with the desire to be surprised by Pokémon going to the game for everything else, and agree that Sun and Moon revealed too much in general, but if they're going to show off anything, it should be the starters.

Huh, I may be one of the few where Decidueye was the only starter evolution I liked from the current/previous generation.
But yeah I definitely appreciated seeing them beforehand; I was dead-set on choosing Popplio but can't stand Primarina and so knowing prior to playing really saved my ass from disappointment later on.

Perfect example of why we need to know ahead of time. Similarly, my brother would have been in the exact same scenario. He loved Popplio, but hated Primarina. He was upset enough as it was when he learned of Primarina's existence. Would have been worse if he only learned after picking Popplio.

Also, Decidueye is the only final stage of Gen VII I liked, as well. You're not alone.

People were disappointed with Decidueye especially.

Was that the case? I recall people liking Decidueye the best out of the three in general, complaining that Inciniroar looked like another Fire/Fighting, and that Primarina was too "girly." At least that was the case as I remember it here on these forums.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Was that the case? I recall people liking Decidueye the best out of the three in general, complaining that Inciniroar looked like another Fire/Fighting, and that Primarina was too "girly." At least that was the case as I remember it here on these forums.

I wasnt using the forums at that time but the general reaction on YouTube and twitter was "Decidueye bad, Primarina good, Incineroar T H I C C"

DSDark

Breeder
That doesn't really seem that likely. Promotions and marketing have always ignored leaks, and acted as if no one knows the information already. Just look at almost every single event-exclusive Legendary. They're always discovered in the games first, and then revealed years later by The Pokémon Company as if no one has ever heard of them. The thing is, no matter how many people are spoiled by leaks, most of the general audience will be oblivious to them, and it's the general audience that The Pokémon Company releases its pre-release material for.

And honestly, showing the full evolutions of the starters before the games come out is something they should unquestioningly be doing. So it was a change for the better that will hopefully stick, regardless of the original reasoning.

Actually Sun Moon often revealed information early because of leaks. Alolan Raichu leaked and they showed the video early.

Yep, especially considering that the starters in SM got signature Z-Moves that need to be promoted.

Why? How does having an exclusive z-move automatically equal must be shown before release? Pokemon games used to have features that weren't discovered until people played the games.

Orphalesion

That’s understandable, but it’s the “change for the better” part that I’m wondering about. While there are people who don’t mind looking at the new Pokémon or starter evolutions, there are those who don’t want to be spoiled no matter what.

Then don't look at the spoilers. Problem solved. If I hadn't known the starter evolutions, I would have been stuck with Decidueye and I would have been pissed. THis way I knew to choose Popplio

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Why? How does having an exclusive z-move automatically equal must be shown before release? Pokemon games used to have features that weren't discovered until people played the games.
They need to get people hyped on Z-Moves, and what better way to do it then reveal that your own starter has its own unique Z-Move. This is huge, especially considering that the Kalos starters didn't get Mega Evolutions.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
I almost didn't pick chespin like I wanted when I saw quiladin, but chestnaught was ok enough that I still picked him. While I didn't like incinaroar at first I still picked litten anyway and learned to like him.

Altough leaked starters are a good thing because I LOATHE delphox even thougb fenniken is good.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
Then don't look at the spoilers. Problem solved. If I hadn't known the starter evolutions, I would have been stuck with Decidueye and I would have been pissed. THis way I knew to choose Popplio

Again, if the starters get officially revealed, then that makes it harder to avoid. They will be posted on every social media outlet related to Pokémon, and fans will talk about them much more and not put spoiler tags or anything because it’s been “officially revealed.”

But yeah, I see your point. I’ll just have to avoid any form of social media and discussion related to Pokémon when release gets much closer.

anjunajake

you were the sun & moon to me
I agree that there isn't anything wrong with every form of the starter being revealed, however I do hope they tone down the early information reveals at least a bit. I know it's my choice not to avoid them, but it's so hard in this day and age with the internet and social media.

mew 2000

Shiny Celebi
To be fair with showing off to many pokemon pre release, if you didn't know it existed piror to buying the game you might end up skipping the spot where you could have caught a pokemon you really wanted. Rockruff for example was really out of the way in an optional area of the game, also if not for leaks would anyone have known how to evolve inky?

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
I liked that Sun and Moon released a lot of info, it definitely hyped me up a lot for the games, though I wished they left a little bit more pokemon underwraps (there were like, what, 5 pokemon not revealed?)

Orphalesion

Maybe I’m in the minority but I was pleased with SM’s prerelease news cycle. Didn’t feel spoiled in the slightest

The only place on here where everything was known pre-release where the clearly marked spoiler threads irrc. There, everybody who wanted could get the leaked information and learn where to catch which of the new Pokemon and how they evolve. There were even seperate ones for Pokemon and for Characters/Storyline. I only went to the Pokemon one and went through large parts of the Plot unspoilered.
It was a good system, that should be repeated again imho.

Again, if the starters get officially revealed, then that makes it harder to avoid. They will be posted on every social media outlet related to Pokémon, and fans will talk about them much more and not put spoiler tags or anything because it’s been “officially revealed.”

But yeah, I see your point. I’ll just have to avoid any form of social media and discussion related to Pokémon when release gets much closer.

At least for Tumblr there's the option to filter out posts that have Pokemon content. Just add that to your list of blocked tags or whatever it's called. It's not foolproof, but it should make it easier for you.
And on here there will, hopefully, be the various spoiler threads again. Or maybe as the time gets closer you and others who want to be suprised by everything in the game could create some "Blind Gameplay" threads where not even official reveals are talked about?

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
The only place on here where everything was known pre-release where the clearly marked spoiler threads irrc. There, everybody who wanted could get the leaked information and learn where to catch which of the new Pokemon and how they evolve. There were even seperate ones for Pokemon and for Characters/Storyline. I only went to the Pokemon one and went through large parts of the Plot unspoilered.
It was a good system, that should be repeated again imho.

At least for Tumblr there's the option to filter out posts that have Pokemon content. Just add that to your list of blocked tags or whatever it's called. It's not foolproof, but it should make it easier for you.
And on here there will, hopefully, be the various spoiler threads again. Or maybe as the time gets closer you and others who want to be suprised by everything in the game could create some "Blind Gameplay" threads where not even official reveals are talked about?
I think that’s a good middle ground for the forums. It’s definitely going to be hard avoiding new info on YouTube, Twitter, and other social media platforms but I’m fine either way

anjunajake

you were the sun & moon to me
Yeah for me it's mostly twitter and social media that's the problem, not really here. But alas, I'll have to live with it or just force myself to stay off those things for awhile.