• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

SoulRebel726

Sorry for getting extremely off track, but I personally don't see Paul as a jerk. I see a jerk is just someone who is mean and immature for no reason. Trip, now he's a jerk, but Paul is just a different kind of trainer. To me he was the foil to Ash, his training mantra is using tough love to make Pokemon realize their potential while Ash's is using compassion. Paul was never abusive to his Pokemon and only talked down to Ash because he viewed Ash's methods as inefficient and inferior (which to be fair, they are). Paul only keeps Pokemon that have good potential and releases the ones that don't as exemplified by what he did with the starly. I mean we all do this. What do we do with Pokemon with bad IV's or natures? Release them. The only reason he kept training chimchar is because he saw the potential that chimchar had to be strong. He ended up releasing it because Paul realized that chimchar won't reach its potential training under his methods so there was no more point in putting through such harsh training regimen. He always had what was best for his Pokemon in mind and was never abusive. He used nasty words as a way to allow chimchar leave without any lasting attachment (this is a pretty common trope) although this only came off as him being nasty. But, you realize that Paul still had respect for chimchar regardless especially at the end when infernape bears electivire where Paul realizes that certain Pokemon will only reach their potential with certain training styles. A jerk is someone who is annoying and hateful for no good reason and a generally terrible person. Paul is someone that I grew to respect once I understood why he does the things he did.

I don't think a rival as deep as Paul can be conveyed in a game unless there was tons of development and, dare I say, cut scenes.

Fair enough. I don't disagree. I think there were plenty of moments where Paul acted like a jerk, but labeling his character as such probably isn't fair. People can have a reason for being a jerk though, it doesn't have to be completely baseless. Trip was definitely more for a jerk for no good reason. I also agree that Paul would be a difficult character to do in the games as they are current constructed, but I'm hopeful that will change.

I think this is mostly a semantic argument though with regards to what I want as a rival in the next game. Just don't give us a childhood friend that shows up a handful of times through our journey just to say "I wanna get strong and have fun, so let's battle!"

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
You should collectively take the lot of this to mean approximately nothing. All the original quote was meant to convey was that Sword & Shield will be less basic and more traditional than LGP/E.
Yeah. And, that's pretty much a given with this game.

Ultra Beast Lover

I'll at least admit that Paul had moments where he made some valid points, 99 percent of the time he made his point in the worst way possible but there were moments were his attitude was perfectly justified...ok it was just with Sunyshore and maybe one or two smaller moments I'm forgetting. Trip was way worse because of his lack of basic people skills. Characters with no people skills can be fun to watch but Trip wasn't, he just took pictures of a random person's Pokemon without permission then called their home the boondocks right to that person's face.

I think I've said all I need to on the rivals for now. I'd like one friendly rival and the second rival to be maybe a little egotistical with abilities to match said ego, sometimes a bit of a jerk but after the third battle they could be like, "Ok maybe you don't suck as much as I thought you did."

Zold

Pokémon Breeder
Is anything known about the release dates yet? I just saw a summary of the Q4 Nintendo Financial report and noticed Pokemon Sword and Shield are planned for Winter 2019 (at least in Japan). Considering winter is only 1 month in 2019, or arguebly only 10 days (if you start from 21/22) that would give quite a small scope. Are these financial reports usually accurate or is it only a vague indication? The bottomline specifically states they are subject to change, but I wonder why they chose such a specific scope for the Japan release.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Is anything known about the release dates yet? I just saw a summary of the Q4 Nintendo Financial report and noticed Pokemon Sword and Shield are planned for Winter 2019. Considering winter is only 1 month in 2019, or arguebly only 10 days (if you start from 21/22) that would give quite a small scope. Are these financial reports usually accurate or is it only a vague indication?
No, but I believe that the next info drop will reveal the release date.

BCVM22

Are these financial reports usually accurate or is it only a vague indication?

The latter. Always the latter. These aren't meant for the gaming public, like us. They're reports for shareholders, who care somewhat less about when they can get their grubby mitts on a copy of a game and somewhat more about the general period when these releases will happen and translate to financial success for the company. Take nothing away from a "Winter 2019" date printed in such a report - nothing has changed from what we know, which is still to expect the game in late 2019 and likely in November.

Rio!

Composer
They'll most likely be released sometime before Christmas. Probably on a Friday sometime between October and December.

My money's on November, potentially before US Thanksgiving or immediately afterwards. It's a popular timeslot for a lot of big games to drop *smash seems to be the oddball but then too, it got delayed, didn't it?

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
The release date for Sword & Shield could be determined by what other Nintendo games are coming out this fall. Usually they want to space them out so there's enough breathing room.

BCVM22

Count on a November Friday after the beginning of the month but before Thanksgiving. There can't be that many of them - pick your favorite and put down $5 at your local OTB window.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Geez, starting to get a bit paranoid we're getting even less Pokemon than last time at the rate we're getting news. Do we really have to wait for E3? We didn't for SM and XY

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Geez, starting to get a bit paranoid we're getting even less Pokemon than last time at the rate we're getting news. Do we really have to wait for E3? We didn't for SM and XY
How? We most often get the first major information in May, similar to XY and SM. With the exception of Sylveon and Magearna for marketing purposes.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
I think we’ll get some news next month. Definitely looking forward to seeing some new Pokémon.
I think that Steel move mentioned in CoroCoro is a Steel version of Mind Blown.
We’ll definitely start getting news by June, because that’s when E3 comes out!

DSDark

Breeder

It's been assumed for a while that we'll get news in may, like we did for XY and SM. We'll continue to get news at regular intervals following mays. Generally we get about 2-3 information dumps around e3. Following e3 we generally get more news the closer and closer we get the release.

For May I would expect the release date and the box legends

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Yes. I've always liked Pikachu's anime voice in the games better than the original computerized cry in generations 1-5. The same could be done to Eevee.
There are a few Pokémon I wouldn’t mind having their anime voices. They are Togepi, Pichu and Raichu mainly because of Pikachu, Charizard, Greninja, and Meowth. Meowth wouldn’t necessarily talk like a person but rather hearing the Pokémon be voiced by TRio’s Meowth’s actor screaming “MEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWTH!” every time it faints before dramatically falling over backwards sort of like Mr. Mime.

Acer11

There are a few Pokémon I wouldn’t mind having their anime voices. They are Togepi, Pichu and Raichu mainly because of Pikachu, Charizard, Greninja, and Meowth. Meowth wouldn’t necessarily talk like a person but rather hearing the Pokémon be voiced by TRio’s Meowth’s actor screaming “MEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWTH!” every time it faints before dramatically falling over backwards sort of like Mr. Mime.
Especially if Game Freak decides to make a remake of Crystal with Pokemon GO elements and possibly a new Pokemon or two.

Ultra Beast Lover

Speaking of Togepi I hope we get a sidequest like we did in Gen 2 again, it was a lot of fun to me back then. Dunno why, maybe it was because there was a sense of us actually helping the Professor learn about eggs. But of course I'd like it to be expanded upon, back then Togepi stopped mattering after it hatched. Just like in the anime we never really seem to learn much about Togepi. If I remember correctly a Daycare couple had found it but what about its parents? Where they wild? Did the trainer not want it? If so then who was the trainer? If not then where did the parents go? I know this also happens in the anime which is why it's so perplexing, why are so many Pokemon parents so ok with letting random people have their unborn children?

Sorry, went on a bit of a rant there. In summary I would like the Togepi sidequest to be expanded upon and they need to explain how eggs work. Or maybe Mystery Dungeon, if it gets a new game, can explain that.