• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Sword/Shield Box Legendary Discussion

Creyk

I mean, yeah it's subjective. Like to me, I find Reshiram and Groudon to be excellently designed Pokemon. Not too simple + not too complex.

I don't know if I'll warm up to Zacian tbh, I think the sword theme could've been a bit more subtle. I get it's based on some wolf with a sword in it's mouth(Sif or something?) but that doesn't mean that literally putting a sword in it's mouth is the right call imo. Tusks like Axew's line or even saber teeth appearing like blades would've been more creative and looked cooler imo. It's w/e though.
Apparently it will not always hold the sword in it's mouth, there was some analysis of the design but I didn't completely understand it

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I’m personally glad we’re not getting cover legendaries that are supposed to be ultra powerful controlling time or whatever element supposedly but then being reduced to the same level as any other Pokémon by being put in a pokeball for the games sake.

I do think that the third legendary will be higher scale though.

Baggie_Saiyan

I really hope they are. They dropped the ball with Xerneas and Yveltal IMO, and gave them little to no lore and an irrelevant place in the story. They don't need to be deities but I hope whatever backstory they give them is meaty and memorable.
Dropped the ball sums up Kalos in general lol.

Speaking of those two, design wise they were my least fav pairs but not now!

Leonhart

Imagineer
I hope that Zacian and Zamazenta's types are revealed today in the E3 stream. I still think that both will be half Steel-type because of the whole shield and sword motif, but I'd like something unpredictable for their secondary type if they have one.

Rio!

Composer
But that's just the same nonsense some individuals hurl at every newly introduced Pokemon, along with "it's too simple, it's cartoony!"
This for me is probably the most obnoxious facet for me when it comes to upcoming pokemon games. I mean from the way people get to talking, are there supposed to be clones of early gen pokemon or what?? xD

I find it interesting that the mascot legendaries are so similar this time around, both in body shape and coloration, it seems like they will have a lot of overlapping appeal. That's perfectly fine by me but seems a bit odd if you are trying to appeal to as many people as possible between the different versions.

From what little we have seen so far Zamazenta is definitely my favorite. I like the more saturated colors compared to Zacian's pastel palette. I also think the way the side sections of the shield spring forth when it powers up look pretty neat and natural, especially compared to how Zacian's already weird back protrusions dislocate and float over and connect to the blade somehow. And lastly the "canine with sword in its mouth" trope has always been a bit silly in my opinion.

World Turtle

I’m personally glad we’re not getting cover legendaries that are supposed to be ultra powerful controlling time or whatever element supposedly but then being reduced to the same level as any other Pokémon by being put in a pokeball for the games sake.

I do think that the third legendary will be higher scale though.

Yeah I agree, while the sword and shield the wolves have symbolize "unstoppable force" vs. "immovable object" which sounds impressive on paper, but given this limits things to whatever the sword/shield come into contact with they aren't exactly looking like walking natural disasters at the moment.

That said in a sense the duo could represent Inertia and Newton's first law of motion. "A body at rest will remain at rest (Shield/Immovable Object), and a body in motion will remain in motion (Sword/Unstoppable Force) unless it is acted upon by an external force."

So could the Third Legendary be that "external force"?

ShadowForce720

What makes you think that there will be a legendary trio?

If you mean what makes people think that there is a 3rd member that goes with the 2 mascot legendries that's easy to explain because if you pay attention to the trailer that showed them off you would notice that after Zacian and Zamazenta interact with each other for a few seconds they then notice the change in the wind and sense that something is coming and they wind up going back to back and preparing to battle something.

So at the very least it's safe to say that there is a 3rd member of the trio, although I wouldn't be opposed to it being a quartet instead of a trio.

Cyclone

^ where it all began
Based on the new trailer from today, that shows Zacian with a light blue aura and Zamazenta with orange glowing parts, I think it's a safe bet that they will be Ice/Steel and Fire/Steel. Plus it works well with the "fire + ice" motif that seems to be heavily associated with medieval weaponry & battles like swords, shields, armor and all that stuff.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
Zacian: Flying/Fighting, Fairy/Steel, Fairy/Fighting or Steel/Fighting. Could also be Steel/Fire.
Zamazenta: Steel/Ice, Steel/Dark, Steel/Ground, or Fairy/Steel.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Yeah I think both being fighting makes sense

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
I know this is super obvious, but I really hope they have Zacian be a fast physical attacker and Zamazenta be a bulky tank. I know they usually like to have the box legends have inverted stats of each other, but in this case, I think they should make them serve their functions. Or they can have Zacian have high attack and slighter lower special attack and low defenses, then invert it for Zamazenta. So for example:

Zacian: 100/155/95/140/90/100
Zamazenta: 100/95/155/90/140/100

As for typings, I hope for the following:

Zacian: Steel/Ice, Fighting/Ice, Steel/Water, Fighting/Flying
Zamazenta: Steel/Fire, Steel/Ghost, Steel/Fairy

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
Zacian: Fighting/Fairy
Zamazenta: Fighting/Steel

Zacian's body has an angelic look to it whilst Zamazenta has more of a metallic look. The primary fighting type is inspired by Keldeo, Terrakion, Cobalion and Verizion.

Those are pretty much the typings that I’d like to see, especially since Fighting/Fairy is unique. Either those, or as long as they’re part Fighting. Which is frustrating since they still haven’t been revealed yet, and I don’t want to keep getting my hopes up if it turns out their typings are very different.

I know this is super obvious, but I really hope they have Zacian be a fast physical attacker and Zamazenta be a bulky tank. I know they usually like to have the box legends have inverted stats of each other, but in this case, I think they should make them serve their functions. Or they can have Zacian have high attack and slighter lower special attack and low defenses, then invert it for Zamazenta. So for example:

Zacian: 100/155/95/140/90/100
Zamazenta: 100/95/155/90/140/100

I hope so too. We would finally have a mascot legendary that is solely focused on defense rather than offense. I guess Lugia still counts too in terms of stats, but its movepool and signature move are overall pretty offensive-oriented.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
Those are pretty much the typings that I’d like to see, especially since Fighting/Fairy is unique. Either those, or as long as they’re part Fighting. Which is frustrating since they still haven’t been revealed yet, and I don’t want to keep getting my hopes up if it turns out their typings are very different.

I hope so too. We would finally have a mascot legendary that is solely focused on defense rather than offense. I guess Lugia still counts too in terms of stats, but its movepool and signature move are overall pretty offensive-oriented.

Yeah, it would be a nice change of pace. I hope they base the two on that old anecdote about the strongest spear (or in this case, sword) meeting the strongest shield.

ShadowForce720

You know looking at Zacian and Zamazenta although I know a lot of people would not prefer this option, but they do look like they could be Normal/Steel. Of course will just have to wait and see.