• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Sword/Shield Box Legendary Discussion

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Holy cow. Grass mascot please please please.

Armored Mewtwo would likely be similar to Mega Mewtwo Y back in the XY pre-release to represent the new game feature.

I suppose one wolf could also represent both versions, plus the third one. I still wonder, what would be the name of the third version? (And don’t say gun)
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that there could be no third version because Sword and Shield ARE the third version, there the complete Sword & Shield experience marketing probably this Metal Snake and Metal Horse in the boxart on full display while featuring the third trio member, the wolf, in the logo kind of like in USUM where you can see Ultra Necrozma mysteriously appearing in the upper corner.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that there could be no third version because Sword and Shield ARE the third version, there the complete Sword & Shield experience marketing probably this Metal Snake and Metal Horse in the boxart on full display while featuring the third trio member, the wolf, in the logo kind of like in USUM where you can see Ultra Necrozma mysteriously appearing in the upper corner.

Oh whoops, my bad. Yeah that would make sense.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Armored Mewtwo trademark registered for Japan.

This could be just a coincidence, but I think that Metal Snake/Wooden Horse rumor just got another bit of credence.

Edit: Also could be tied to the new Pokemon movie exclusively.

Interesting. I'm not going to take this as being anything but something related to the movie until proven otherwise, but it certainly is an interesting coincidence. Admittedly though, I do have to wonder why they would trademark that if were just the movie. What about Mewtwo wearing its power-restraining armor is in need of a trademark?

Aetius

And if the legendary was only one, but changed forms based on the version chosen?
Wouldn't that be a first in the franchise?
Either way, I'm really liking the wolves' theory.

Orphalesion

Admittedly though, I do have to wonder why they would trademark that if were just the movie. What about Mewtwo wearing its power-restraining armor is in need of a trademark?

Mur-chandize! Mur-channdize!

Merchandise. They'd naturally want the concept and image of Mewtwo in his armor protected so only they can sell posters, figurines, toys, etc. of an armored Mewtwo. And yeah copyright can be that silly, the first Spiderwoman was created just to protect the trademark of a female version of Spiderman.

Shingamon

The flying flame
I like the idea (to kind of coincide with the trojan horse theory) that one of the legendaries is like a centaur but with more of a wolven top half, similar to Lucario if you know what I mean, and it could possibly be the sword one, using some kind of blade or something similar to how Bisharp does.
For the shield, my guess would be there may have been a mistranslation along the line somewhere (i don't know how the guy got their source) and it could be like a Wyvern/ dragon as they were seen as more snake-like in some cultures mythology. This would work well with the ideas of British/ Welsh mythology too as with George and the dragon and so on. So that means it could be some large fire dragon with high special attack and defence due to the tough scales and fire breathing. I think if we were to keep along with the idea of wolves being a theme somehow then it could be that the dragon has larger scales sticking up towards the back of the head like a wolf does when it's threatening or snarling and larger fangs then too.

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Interesting. I'm not going to take this as being anything but something related to the movie until proven otherwise, but it certainly is an interesting coincidence. Admittedly though, I do have to wonder why they would trademark that if were just the movie. What about Mewtwo wearing its power-restraining armor is in need of a trademark?
Because, Mewtwo in its' armor shape is different than the original design and serves a different purpose. Similar to how Mega-Mewtwo requires its' own trademark compared to Mewtwo. New merchandise for the upcoming movie might feature it as well.

Especially, if for merchandise, it cannot be put under simple 'Mewtwo' label in stock to prevent potential customer confusions.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I like the idea of 2 wolves. Never really had the same species..... Well I mean 2 birds on Gold/Silver.....

So yeah 2 wolves be fun.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I like the idea of 2 wolves. Never really had the same species..... Well I mean 2 birds on Gold/Silver.....

So yeah 2 wolves be fun.
Dialga and Palkia were just palette swaps

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Not even lol. If they’re palette swaps, Groudon/Kyogre and Zekrom/Reshiram are worse offenders
yeah that's fair enough palette swap not the right word to use, but definitely "same species" as @paipr_christian was talking about

Orphalesion

So yeah 2 wolves be fun.

Smartass answer: "Bird" is not a "species".

But yes, the same species (wolf) can be the inspiration for any number of different Pokemon, so if it came to two wolves I'm sure GF would be ableto make them different and interestign from one another.

yeah that's fair enough palette swap not the right word to use, but definitely "same species" as @paipr_christian was talking about

But they are based on dragons, mythological creatures. There is, obviously, no classification of species within the fictional group of Dragons....so how can anybody say they are based on the same "species" ?
They don't really look like it; Palkia is a biped with something that looks like wings, while Dialga is a quadruped that lacks wings, for example.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Dragons, as mythical creatures with a very large and extremely varied amount of "sub-species" are much easier to differentiate than two real animals of the same species. Wolves would be much more limiting. I'm not saying it couldn't work, but I'd rather not do it, myself.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
But they are based on dragons, mythological creatures. There is, obviously, no classification of species within the fictional group of Dragons....so how can anybody say they are based on the same "species" ?
They don't really look like it; Palkia is a biped with something that looks like wings, while Dialga is a quadruped that lacks wings, for example.

As Palkia, Dialga, and Giratina sharing characteristics such as red irises, black sclera, and stripes over their bodies, they could be considered being under the same family or genus, but not the same species. So even for other Pokémon like Latios and Latias who look basically identical, they seem to be considered as their own separate species while still being related.

Last edited:

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
tbh I want a family of six legendaries Nymeria, Lady, Grey Wind, Shaggydog, Summer, and Ghost lol

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
So far, I liked ALL box legendaries... I hope I will like gen 8's too.
They are all very unique and memorable

Yeah the box legends are some of my favorite things about Pokémon. One thing Game Freak does great at in my opinion is their designs, while also integrating them into the themes of their regions pretty well. I find myself drawing these legendaries more than any other Pokémon because they always look amazing to me.

ChavaWM

I'm not sold on the wolf legendaries right now, I think lycanroc was over kill with 3 of them, 2 on 4 legs and 1 that stands so idk how they can make them significantly different besides a color change.
The wooden/trojan horse rumor, I hope is true! I love horse pokemon

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I'm not sold on the wolf legendaries right now, I think lycanroc was over kill with 3 of them, 2 on 4 legs and 1 that stands so idk how they can make them significantly different besides a color change.

To be fair, Lycanroc wasn't that varied because all three of them were still the same Pokémon, and one of them was purposefully designed to look like an amalgamation of the other two. If we get two wolf Legendaries, we'll certainly see more variety here. Not to say I'm convinced that it's a good idea, as I don't want two wolves either, but you really can't compare this to Lycanroc in any meaningful way.