• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Sword/Shield Box Legendary Discussion

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I agree the shield version looks better, but both of them are a lot more acceptable once you had time to get used to them. It's always subjective, I think even these are better than reshiram. And Groudon is not some masterfully designed pokemon either, it's on the other end of the spectrum where it is almost too simple.
For me, I think the Shield Legendary looks better when the entire shield mane spreads out, it makes the wolf look more fearsome but when it's retracted back, I think the Sword Legendary looks better.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
Yeah I gotta say, I’m already warming up to the mascots despite their similarities to one another. Paying closer attention to the little differences in their designs makes me appreciate them a lot more individually.

I’m still really peeved about the boxarts though. The mascots’ art on there just looks... off to me. But they look fine in their alternate resting poses. And why are the backgrounds so plain? The minimum that they had were at least fully colored backgrounds outside of the the 5th gen games (which had an appropriate theme to go with it, so I don’t mind). XY added so much more to them. It’s the first time I’m considering buying a digital copy of the main series instead of physical because of this.

I can see the naming scheme, but I don't know about two other legendaries.

With that in mind, this is the first "Blue/Red" set of games since Diamond and Pearl.

You might count Black 2 and White 2 as well, but the Unova games are weird with their legendary representation.

Based off of the color theme, the third legendary could more likely represent yellow, and black may not have to be used. Then it would imitate Gen 1’s versions of red, blue, and yellow. But personally, I’d like to see a purple third legendary at some point to coincide with a red/blue pair.

Last edited:

Rio!

Composer
Yeah I gotta say, I’m already warming up to the mascots despite their similarities to one another. Paying closer attention to the little differences in their designs makes me appreciate them a lot more individually.

I’m still really peeved about the boxarts though. The mascots’ art on there just looks... off to me. But they look fine in their alternate resting poses. And why are the backgrounds so plain? The minimum that they had were at least fully colored backgrounds outside of the the 5th gen games (which had an appropriate theme to go with it, so I don’t mind). XY added so much more to them. It’s the first time I’m considering buying a digital copy of the main series instead of physical because of this.

Based off of the color theme, the third legendary could more likely represent yellow, and black may not have to be used. Then it would imitate Gen 1’s versions of red, blue, and yellow. But personally, I’d like to see a purple third legendary at some point to coincide with a red/blue pair.

I have to agree about the boxart, I'm *hoping* that maybe it isn't finalized? It looks so plain and unimpressive compared to the last several generations.

shadowF

Does anyone think Zacian has wings or is it just armor? if Wings then it could be steel/flying?

Inoshi

Pokemon Lover
I’ve already seen people figuring out what the names of the mascots mean. They likely refer to the CMYK color model. Zacian comes from “cyan” with the sword logo being the same color, and Zamazenta from “magenta,” with the Shield logo being the same color as well. And interestingly, I saw speculation that there could be a legendary quartet instead of a trio, with the next couple of mascots being Yellow and Black.
I don't think it will be a quartet but I can definitely see the third legendary being Black and Yellow.

Also, like others have pointed out I think Zamazenta has the superior design but I still like Zacian as well, except for that perpetually-in-mouth-sword that I wish it didn't have. Based on their designs alone I'm currently leaning towards the Shield version.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Zacian and Zamazenta's relationship does seem to be interesting. They were fighting at first, but then when the wind picked up it looked like they were teaming up. I wonder what the exact nature of their relationship is?

If I had to guess, they may be rivals. They spar with each other a lot, but they also seem to work together against larger threats.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Does anyone think Zacian has wings or is it just armor? if Wings then it could be steel/flying?
Probably just wing-like, like Mega Absol. They seem to function as extensions of its sword (we can see the "wings" detach from its body and combine with the sword when it powers up.

Mudster

Master of the Legend
Zacian and Zamazenta I think look really interesting. Personally, I think they are definitely better looking when rendered in 3D rather than their artwork - which is similar to how I felt about Solgaleo last generation. I wonder if this generation will give these guys a common typing. So far where we've had pairs of legendaries on box art, we've had:
  • Gen II: flying common type
  • Gen III: no common type
  • Gen IV: dragon common type
  • Gen V: dragon common type
  • Gen VI: no common type
  • Gen VII: psychic common type
I wonder if this time the common type will be steel or fighting. Zacian kind of has wings (?), so I'd like to see another Fighting/Flying type, whereas Zamazenta could be Fighting/Steel maybe. I do enjoy the speculation period up until their type reveals.

Their relationship seems really interesting, I like the idea of them being sparring partners, Zamazenta definitely seems to be the 'wiser' and more sage looking of the two.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I don’t really care for the boxarts. I’ll look at the case for five seconds it’s not a big deal lol

I’m going to assume the 3rd Legendary is the Pokèmon on the hill, which was the start of Dynamax, akin to Rayquaza and Ultra Necrozma to Mega Evolution and Z Moves respectively.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Common-type will be more than likely Steel(as Fighting is only used on Mega Mewtwo X and Swords of Justice/Muskedeers, Mythicals/Event Legendaries, Silvally forms and Ultra Beasts do not count for obvious reasons), but it is possible that both are Steel/Fighting with different stat arrangement, and third guy is just Dragon/Steel.

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I have to agree about the boxart, I'm *hoping* that maybe it isn't finalized? It looks so plain and unimpressive compared to the last several generations.

I hope so too, but that feels very unlikely. I don’t think they’ve ever made changes to the boxarts for previous games once they revealed them.

I don’t really care for the boxarts. I’ll look at the case for five seconds it’s not a big deal lol

I often like to look back at the boxarts of games that I own myself. The Sword/Shield ones really stick out as something I wouldn’t want to look at and keep as part of my collection, but that’s just me and my art preferences.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Both of these designs are very appealing to me, I appreciate how sleek they are. My favourite typing combos I have seen on them on here so far are: fighting/fairy for Zacian and fighting/steel for Zamazenta. Also for their lore they really give me some sort of wolves given special powers to protect and fight off something kind of vibes with how natural the bases look yet with how unnatural and special their weaponry looks. I could see a third legendary being a threat and another fourth legendary being one that calls upon the wolves or helped give them powers (such as a giant being who creates weapons cough cough we already have an image of a giant and there is lore of giant beings creating certain weapons) to help fend against the threat legendary. That’s my speculation anyways lol.

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
I like both, but as many have said, I like Zamazenta better right now. That could change depending on typing and other things. Zacien is all right, but the sword does look kinda goofy in its mouth. For my favorites as a reference:
Gen II: I like both Lugia and Ho-Oh equally
Gen III: Groudon
Gen IV: Palkia (I'm in the minority)
Gen V: Reshiram (another minority? Dunno)
Gen VI: Yveltal
Gen VII: Lunala
So overall, it seems like I prefer the second game's Box Legend (Palkia, Yveltal, Lunala) compared to the first game of the pair (Groudon, Reshiram).

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Zacian and Zamazenta's relationship does seem to be interesting. They were fighting at first, but then when the wind picked up it looked like they were teaming up. I wonder what the exact nature of their relationship is?

If I had to guess, they may be rivals. They spar with each other a lot, but they also seem to work together against larger threats.
They weren't fighting, actually. Zacian put Zamazenta in the place of the roaming threat they both mutually consider as an enemy(?), only to realize it was Zamazenta. They acknowledge each others presence after a short exchange, as a nod to being there for the same purpose, and teamed up to face the threat.

The look felt like: "Oh, was that you?" or "Oh, you're here too?".

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
They weren't fighting, actually. Zacian put Zamazenta in the place of the roaming threat they both mutually consider as an enemy(?), only to realize it was Zamazenta. They acknowledge each others presence after a short exchange, as a nod to being there for the same purpose, and teamed up to face the threat.

The look felt like: "Oh, was that you?" or "Oh, you're here too?".

Eh, it doesn't really look like it. They both seemed to know it was them and were ready to keep going until the wind picked up.

aerial_ace

I like both designs but they didn't wow me like other cover legendery pokemon. I think it is because they look rather similar which i think could be done on purpose. My theory is it used to be one pokemon and certain events in the past made it equip sword or shield and they "evolved" into a different species all together and that would explain the similarities.
I really like the fact it seems there is a bigger threat out there that both zacian and zamazenta will fight against.
It is actually hard to predict typing for them. Steel fighting seems like the most fitting type combination but after solgaleo and its random steel type i wouldnt be suprised if they end up something unexpected. I personally hope for ice/fighting for zacian (probably 2 of the best offensive types) and steel/ground for zamazenta.

Taodragon

Training Anaylst
After giving it a day, I personally like both of them. I do understand the criticisms such as them being a little too similar, but overall I think they're a good duo and I look forward to learning more about them. As for which one I prefer, I lean more towards Zacian at the moment. The artwork it uses for the cover gives it a heroic and majestic feel, and while the sword in the mouth is a controversial direction I'm more on the positive side of it since I think it's a neat take on the concept and it reminds me of Ammy and Repede. I also do like the detail of its 'wings' becoming a part of the sword when it powers up, it's a pretty cool detail that made me appreciate the design a bit more.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
fb5.gif

I just saw this one post featuring this GIF that this is literally every Pokemon fans reaction and found this too funny.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I think Steel or Fighting might be the common type, assuming they have one.

They seem to be sparing and for some reason I just get that vibe from them.

Secondary typings leave me thinking Ice for sword and Fire for Shield. But that's really just cause of the glow at the end when they are preparing for what's ever coming.

Frostfall

I like the idea of a third legendary that could be black/Yellow or even purple. I pretty much like every single color combination better than Red/Blue except maybe neon pink/orange :p Not the best generation of pokemon for me since red/blue combined seems to be a logo and theme this generation.