• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Pokemon Sword/Shield Box Legendary Discussion

B. Thunder Tiger

At first glance both of the legendaries looked a bit odd, but now I've grown to like them. I prefer Zamazenta, it kinda "works" better as an organic being, and I'll be going with the Shield version. But I do appreciate Zacian's design as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if they shared the same type and just had different stat spread (other being more offensive, other defensive). Would be a first, at least. Steel/Fighting, maybe? I dunno.

Steel/Fighting is the default guess I'd have with them as well. Both super effective on each other by targeting the other's Steel type. That said, Steel-Type is by far the easiest to guess in terms of design. Whether they are Mono-type or not, or something else than Steel, remains to be seen.

Josef Stylin

I want to dye
I don't like throwing around the "literally a Digimon" buzzword but wew lads, I can't think of anything else for these two besides Gaogamon with props

latest

WhiteBlair

ベストチャンピオン。
Zamazenta looks like Lysandre and his Pyroar fused, when it sparked against the threat. I love both its' and Zacian's design and will probably pick my main solely based on the version exclusives now.

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer
I get the feeling that they are going for the 'Knights and Magic' concept for the SwSh games, with the 3rd Legendary being a reference to a "Mage" (since Zacian and Zamazenta together reference a Knight).

As for the typing of the typing of the 2 Legendaries,
Zacian -> Steel/Ice or Steel/Fighting (highly offensive)
Zamazenta -> Steel/Rock (highly defensive)

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
You know, they're both mammals. What if we got dual Normal/Steel (Steel/Normal also works) types?

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I’ve already seen people figuring out what the names of the mascots mean. They likely refer to the CMYK color model. Zacian comes from “cyan” with the sword logo being the same color, and Zamazenta from “magenta,” with the Shield logo being the same color as well. And interestingly, I saw speculation that there could be a legendary quartet instead of a trio, with the next couple of mascots being Yellow and Black.

amoebo

amoeboVGC
They definitely hinted towards at least 1 more legendary with the boxarts sensing a threat and going back to back to fight. Wouldn't be shocked if Zamazenta and Zacian are under-legendaries to the actual main duo (as the box legendaries have almost always been related to either an abstract concept or something that is a large part within the world e.g space, sun, moon, land, sea, time, space. etc) and the 2 wolfs just seem to be defined by their inspirations.

Also, Zacian is definitely inspired by a Valkyrie.

Last edited:

SuperArtNinja

Suicune Trainer
Yeah but in Fenrir's case the sword was placed there in a vertical position, with the pommel touching one part of his mouth (either the bottom or the top part, and the sword's tip pierced into the other half, they didn't give him a sword to chew on and fight with like it looks with Zacian, they forced it in there in a painful position to keep him from biting.

True, but an inspiration isn't always a direct translation. Game Freak is known to put their own spin on mythology by making subtle nods to different kinds of lore, but not always staying 100% faithful to the inspiration.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
They definitely hinted towards at least 1 more legendary with the boxarts sensing a threat and going back to back to fight.

Well, it doesn't have to be a Legendary. Could be like Sun and Moon with the Ultra Beasts.

But this is Game Freak we're talking about, so I'm not expecting to see a new UB ever again.

Josef Stylin

I want to dye
Because you have a strange brain obviously.
If you want to call copycat you should do it with that superhero movie where there was an actual wolf holding a sword in it's mouth.

I can't remember which movie this is and it's probably popular enough that I should know it, ugh. I do remember Sif tho, so yay?

But anyway, in case you couldn't tell by that previous post that this isn't something I'm taking seriously: I wasn't calling GF copycats lmao, just saying "wow I can't unsee it" cuz same animal, similar color schemes and also themed after objects of harm(Gaogamon's being boxing gloves). Stuff like this happens all the time in series' that keeps pushing for new monster/character designs, so it isn't a big deal for me. But eh, sue me if you want.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
They definitely hinted towards at least 1 more legendary with the boxarts sensing a threat and going back to back to fight. Wouldn't be shocked if Zamazenta and Zacian are under-legendaries to the actual main duo (as the box legendaries have almost always been related to either an abstract concept or something that is a large part within the world e.g space, sun, moon, land, sea, time, space. etc) and the 2 wolfs just seem to be defined by their inspirations.

Also, Zacian is definitely inspired by a Valkyrie.
Possibly at least two more legendaries. The hill drawing depicting the giant and the fact that Zamazent and Zacian noticed something in the forest and were prepared to do battle. Could be the player character wanting to catch them but who knows? Also I wouldn't say the wolves just seem to be defined by their inspirations, I'm sure there's another theme in there as we had no idea that the Sun & Moon duo symbolized light or that the Black & White duo symbolized truth or ideals around this time of the month.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Genuinely think these two are the most underwhelming box legends to date.

I just can't dig Zacian's design at all. With other games I've at least found both of the legends appealing and cool, but I just can't seem to like Zacian's design. The sword is goofy. It's 'wings' are goofy. It's tail is goofy. It's just... goofy.

Zamazenta at least looks really cool, so I'm definitely going with Shield as my main game.(Hopefully the version exclusives are either both 'meh' or Shield's are better looking)

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I’ve already seen people figuring out what the names of the mascots mean. They likely refer to the CMYK color model. Zacian comes from “cyan” with the sword logo being the same color, and Zamazenta from “magenta,” with the Shield logo being the same color as well. And interestingly, I saw speculation that there could be a legendary quartet instead of a trio, with the next couple of mascots being Yellow and Black.
I can see the naming scheme, but I don't know about two other legendaries.

With that in mind, this is the first "Blue/Red" set of games since Diamond and Pearl.

You might count Black 2 and White 2 as well, but the Unova games are weird with their legendary representation.

Creyk

Genuinely think these two are the most underwhelming box legends to date.

I just can't dig Zacian's design at all. With other games I've at least found both of the legends appealing and cool, but I just can't seem to like Zacian's design. The sword is goofy. It's 'wings' are goofy. It's tail is goofy. It's just... goofy.

Zamazenta at least looks really cool, so I'm definitely going with Shield as my main game.(Hopefully the version exclusives are either both 'meh' or Shield's are better looking)
I agree the shield version looks better, but both of them are a lot more acceptable once you had time to get used to them. It's always subjective, I think even these are better than reshiram. And Groudon is not some masterfully designed pokemon either, it's on the other end of the spectrum where it is almost too simple.