• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
At least the starters look like they won't be too slow like the Alola ones were. That is unless they pull a Litten on us and slow them down in their final evolution.

I wouldn't even trust the screenshots considering what gen 7 did. It's probably not the most accurate.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
If they wanted to do this that badly, I honestly would’ve preferred a soft reboot a la Gen V (which I thought was fresh and invigorating, but not everyone agrees). Keep the main game all new Pokémon, but slowly patch in all of the older ones so they’d be available in post. They could’ve focused on a set number of new Pokémon and refined that, and then taken their time with making sure everyone got in. That’s not a perfect solution, and it wouldn’t have worked that well with the Wild Area, but it just feels neater than picking 500-600 or so fan favorites and chucking everyone else out to future games.

Xuxuba

Can't say i quite understand how the people who praised LGEP's changes are upset over the fact that you can only transfer Pokémon from the Galar dex when using the Home feature.

I mean, even if you can't have all of the pokémon, the game still is going to have more than 151 pokemon and if you were able to enjoy that game, don't see why you won't be able to enjoy this one.

Not to say that i agree with them possibly not including all of the pokémon, but it seems a bit biased to criticize one while praising the other who did exact the same thing, except worse.

I know LGEP is not a traditional pokémon game, but it still was a full priced main series game.

Last edited:

Mag Prime

The Pokemon Avenger
So obviously everyone seems to dislike what they are doing, even the people who are on the side of "well it sucks but people are overreacting" and I guess now this is happening at least for the base release whether we like it or not. Whether we get the rest of the pokemon in a DLC or get them to change their policy for future games remains to be seen.

However, I'm curious as to which pokemon you guys think will make the cut. If I'm not mistaken there are like 450 pokemon in the Alola region so it's safe to say that more than half are gonna make the cut here too. We also know everything in the gameplay trailers + Pikachu is making it in. What about legendaries? People are gonna be pissed if they can't send their Rayquazas and Groudons in, but then again they are the pokemon that least belong in Galar and also many of them are among the most gimmicky pokemon which is what they would be trying to get rid off.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Can't say i quite understand how the people who praised LGEP's changes are upset over the fact that you can only transfer Pokémon from the Galar dex when using the Home feature.

I mean, even if you can't have all of the pokémon, the game still is going to have more than 151 pokemon and if you were able to enjoy that game, don't see why you won't be able to enjoy this one.

Not to say that i agree with them possibly not including all of the pokémon, but it seems a bit biased to criticize one while praise the other who did the same thing.

I know LGEP is not a traditional pokémon game, but it still was a full priced main series game.
One big difference is that LGEP is supposed to be a simpler game that is easier for new fans to get into. Sword and Shield are supposed to be the full-fledged successors to the previous gen's main games, with all the complexity and diversity they entail. So to have them outright exclude certain pokemon species is quite a shock, as never before has a pokemon game with the standard play rules done that (Let's Go as you noted is quite different from the standard games).

Ducolamia

SAYYYY WHAT???
So obviously everyone seems to dislike what they are doing, even the people who are on the side of "well it sucks but people are overreacting" and I guess now this is happening at least for the base release whether we like it or not. Whether we get the rest of the pokemon in a DLC or get them to change their policy for future games remains to be seen.

However, I'm curious as to which pokemon you guys think will make the cut. If I'm not mistaken there are like 450 pokemon in the Alola region so it's safe to say that more than half are gonna make the cut here too. We also know everything in the gameplay trailers + Pikachu is making it in. What about legendaries? People are gonna be pissed if they can't send their Rayquazas and Groudons in, but then again they are the pokemon that least belong in Galar and also many of them are among the most gimmicky pokemon which is what they would be trying to get rid off.

It honestly depends. I'm not sure if we'll be able to even transfer every legendary let alone catch them this gen. I'm probably betting on the latter considering it took until Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon to get every legendary. Though considering they usually do that for the end of each gen anyways. My guess is that regular legendaries won't be usable of transferrable until after the main campaign is over.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Apparently, the part about the game removing Megas and Z-Moves was a mistranslation. This was what Masuda actually said (translated from Japanese):
"So we had features such as Mega evolution and Z-moves, and Dynamaxing was added as a new power-up feature in this game "

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Apparently, the part about the game removing Megas and Z-Moves was a mistranslation. This was what Masuda actually said (translated from Japanese):
"So we had features such as Mega evolution and Z-moves, and Dynamaxing was added as a new power-up feature in this game "
Its just upsetting that they ditched the megas concept. Why not make new ones instead of this big Pokemon thing.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
If they wanted to do this that badly, I honestly would’ve preferred a soft reboot a la Gen V (which I thought was fresh and invigorating, but not everyone agrees). Keep the main game all new Pokémon, but slowly patch in all of the older ones so they’d be available in post. They could’ve focused on a set number of new Pokémon and refined that, and then taken their time with making sure everyone got in. That’s not a perfect solution, and it wouldn’t have worked that well with the Wild Area, but it just feels neater than picking 500-600 or so fan favorites and chucking everyone else out to future games.

Speaking personally, as awkward as this is, I actually much prefer to this to how Black and White did things. At least here Pokémon from the past still exist, just not all of them. In the end, it's the in-game experience that matters, not the added experience of transferring stuff. Black and White left you with nothing old in-game, while Sword and Shield at least does have some.

Not to say that i agree with them possibly not including all of the pokémon, but it seems a bit biased to criticize one while praising the other who did exact the same thing, except worse.

I didn't praise Let's Go, but I did defend it. I would say the key difference is that Let's Go had a good excuse. It was an unorthodox game at it's core, and it was attempting to invoke the original sense of Kanto. Sword and Shield has no such excuse, and that's where the problem lies.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Huh, the irony. A week ago Dynamaxing instead of new Megas/Cross-gen evos was my biggest issue with the game. Now I don't even care about that in light of this new revelation.
Why dont u care?
And maybe we will get cross-gen evos, who knows hehe

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
New Pokèmon aren’t in for “balance rules”

Now they care about balancing the meta game lol

Xuxuba

One big difference is that LGEP is supposed to be a simpler game that is easier for new fans to get into. Sword and Shield are supposed to be the full-fledged successors to the previous gen's main games, with all the complexity and diversity they entail. So to have them outright exclude certain pokemon species is quite a shock, as never before has a pokemon game with the standard play rules done that (Let's Go as you noted is quite different from the standard games).
I didn't praise Let's Go, but I did defend it. I would say the key difference is that Let's Go had a good excuse. It was an unorthodox game at it's core, and it was attempting to invoke the original sense of Kanto. Sword and Shield has no such excuse, and that's where the problem lies.

To be fair, they never said that Sword and Shield would be completely orthodox and completely centered around long time fans.

They might have just meant that would more traditional than LGEP, which it is nonetheless.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
To be fair, they never said that Sword and Shield would be completely orthodox and centered around long time fans instead of new ones.

They might have just meant that would more traditional than LGEP, which it is nonetheless.

They literally called it traditional, not "more traditional," but traditional. Even ignoring that, it still doesn't leave Shield and Sword with an excuse.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
New Pokèmon aren’t in for “balance rules”

Now they care about balancing the meta game lol
Which is a dumb reason anyway, because pokémon that might be broken in one kind of setup (like 1v1 singles where Z-Hyper Beam Porygon-Z is kind of broken, or doubles where Incineroar is kind of broken) are completely fine in other formats. Just excluding pokémon altogether from the entire game for the sake of balance is crude and completely blind to the actual detail of balance in this game. Sure the balance is off quite a bit in certain formats, like Hoenn legendaries being particularly broken compared to other legendaries, but this isn't the right way to go about that.

Xuxuba

They literally called it traditional, not "more traditional," but traditional. Even ignoring that, it still doesn't leave Shield and Sword with an excuse.
You are ignoring the context tho. They said this when they were being interviewed about LGEP, not SwSh. And when compared to LGEP, it is traditional, because it has wild battles, the way you catch pokemon is the same, the way the stats work is the same and etc...

Either way, excuses don't alter the gameplay. If a game is bad, it won't be the excuses made for them that will turn them good.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
You are ignoring the context tho. They said this when they were talking about LGEP, not SwSh. And when compared to LGEP, it is traditional, because it has wild battles, the way you catch pokemon is the same, the way the stats work is the same and etc...

Either way, excuses don't alter the gameplay. If a game is bad, it won't be the excuses made for them that will turn them good.

Actually, they made that announcement immediately following the reveal of Let's GO, so they were referring to Sword and Shield.