• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
I’m just so sick of the past Gen pandering. Sword and Shield are their own games, with a new Region, new Pokémon, characters, etc., and yet the Champion’s ace is looking to be a Charizard. For the life of me, I will never understand the insane obsession GF has with it. What we’ve seen so far of the Galar Dex looks pretty fair in terms of generational distribution, but I will genuinely be shocked if not all of the OG 151 aren’t in it.
I feel that any new gen that comes out is immediately linked to gen 1. and it has gotten worse since gen 6...
Why ALL alolan forms are gen 1's? It's aweful.
I hope that whatever newforms/evolutions/etc we get this gen, it will include OTHER gens as well. And from newer gens like 5..

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I have a conspiracy theory: I reckon the reason they did this was because of PoGo ie Niantic pressuring them not to include all 8 generations of Pokemon because PoGo is still up to Gen 4.

It's Game Freak and the Pokémon Company that pressure Niantic not the other way around. Niantic have no sway over Game Freak. Even ignoring that, what does that have to do with anything? Why does Pokémon Go only having things up to Gen IV matter? It's not like the Galar Dex will only include Pokémon up through Sinnoh and leave out Unova, Kalos, and Alola entirely. If what you're saying was even remotely true, that would have to be the case.

Can't say i agree, but even if i thought excuses could alter whether i see a game as bad or good, i wouldn't exactly say the excuse you mentioned was good.
IMO, a good game is capable of pleasing both new and old players. If it can only please newer players, then it is not really good, at least for me.

Besides, it is not like having more playable pokemon would affect a new player negativately, since you can choose whether you use those newer pokemon on your team or not.

Your original question was addressed at people who defended Let's Go. Clearly people who defended Let's Go were okay with the excuse. Maybe you weren't, and that's fine, but some people, myself included, were okay with it. But here there simply is no excuse, so that's why I, at least, am not too pleased with this.

Black and White still had all the old Pokémon in-game though, just not until after you had beaten the main story. Personally I vastly prefer that over some not even existing in Sword and Shield at all, main game or postgame, but different opinions and such. It just feels messy to me, because they are undoubtedly going to include the popular Charizard/Lucario type Pokémon and deny you the option to transfer some of the more understated Pokémon that never get any love in the Dex anyway.

But not everything existed in-game, only the select Pokémon they decided to put in the post-game areas, leaving those not included to essentially not exist from a purely in-game standpoint. The arbitrary decisions that go into what Pokémon are and aren't in Black and White's post-game areas is no different from the arbitrary decisions of what Pokémon are and aren't in the Galar Dex. At least with the way Shield and Sword are doing it, I can catch older Pokémon before beating the game.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I’m just so sick of the past Gen pandering. Sword and Shield are their own games, with a new Region, new Pokémon, characters, etc., and yet the Champion’s ace is looking to be a Charizard. For the life of me, I will never understand the insane obsession GF has with it.
I don't think its GF that is obsessed with it. Charizard gets so much attention because it is so popular with the average fan. The thing has beaten Pikachu in popularity polls.

Why ALL alolan forms are gen 1's? It's aweful.
As I recall this was explained in an interview. They initially didn't plan to do alolan forms at all, but included them as a gift to people who played the first generation of pokemon games (and thus only first gen pokemon got them).

But not everything existed in-game, only the select Pokémon they decided to put in the post-game areas, leaving those not included to essentially not exist from a purely in-game standpoint. The arbitrary decisions that go into what Pokémon are and aren't in Black and White's post-game areas is no different from the arbitrary decisions of what Pokémon are and aren't in the Galar Dex. At least with the way Shield and Sword are doing it, I can catch older Pokémon before beating the game.
Leaving past pokemon out of what can be caught has to one degree or another has been true of every pokemon game, however this was mitigated becaused eventually you were always able to transfer in every past species. That may or may not be the case with Sword and Shield.

Baggie_Saiyan

I’m just so sick of the past Gen pandering. Sword and Shield are their own games, with a new Region, new Pokémon, characters, etc., and yet the Champion’s ace is looking to be a Charizard. For the life of me, I will never understand the insane obsession GF has with it. What we’ve seen so far of the Galar Dex looks pretty fair in terms of generational distribution, but I will genuinely be shocked if not all of the OG 151 aren’t in it.
Well it can't be as bad as the faux Gen 1 remake that was Kalos... what waste of a beautiful region :(

It was pretty naive of me to think LGPE might be GF getting all of Gen 1 out their system. /:

I get Pikachu but I just dunno for the life of me understand why Charizard is so popular even in the wake of other Gen 1 Mons. I still can't get over the giant fan service that was Charizard X...

Xuxuba

Your original question was addressed at people who defended Let's Go. Clearly people who defended Let's Go were okay with the excuse. Maybe you weren't, and that's fine, but some people, myself included, were okay with it. But here there simply is no excuse, so that's why I, at least, am not too pleased with this.
Well, it's not like they tried to give an excuse yet, but that doesn't stop them from doing so later. Would you be okay if they did then?

To me, it just seems like a double standard. If you are going to criticize a game for doing something, you shouldn't turn the blind eye to a game doing the exact same thing.

The truth is a lot of people think certain things should be protected from criticism because they have nostalgia in it's favor and that is just pure bias. Not saying you are one of them, but there is definetly people like that...

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Black and White still had all the old Pokémon in-game though, just not until after you had beaten the main story. Personally I vastly prefer that over some not even existing in Sword and Shield at all, main game or postgame, but different opinions and such. It just feels messy to me, because they are undoubtedly going to include the popular Charizard/Lucario type Pokémon and deny you the option to transfer some of the more understated Pokémon that never get any love in the Dex anyway.

It really beats the purpose of collecting mythicals too, like why bother if you're never going to use them in the next gen? Of freaking course Mew is available, but she's gen 1 so is anyone really surprised?

I'm lucky that Lucario is my over all favorite, it means outside Let's Go I'll never have to suffer it not being present on my team. But there are other Pokemon out there I love like Rockruff, Sneasel, Scizor, Shinx and Flygon.... all of which might not make the cut cause they just can't stop this damn gen wunner pandering they've been up to since XY. Seriously, I guarantee 90% of the Kanto dex is present while barely 10% of the Johto-Alola Dexes are! -.-

Mag Prime

The Pokemon Avenger
It really beats the purpose of collecting mythicals too, like why bother if you're never going to use them in the next gen? Of freaking course Mew is available, but she's gen 1 so is anyone really surprised?

I'm lucky that Lucario is my over all favorite, it means outside Let's Go I'll never have to suffer it not being present on my team. But there are other Pokemon out there I love like Rockruff, Sneasel, Scizor, Shinx and Flygon.... all of which might not make the cut cause they just can't stop this damn gen wunner pandering they've been up to since XY. Seriously, I guarantee 90% of the Kanto dex is present while barely 10% of the Johto-Alola Dexes are! -.-

Totodile is one of my favourite pokemon. I now have no choice but to wish for a friggin Let's Go Johto game if I want to ever have a Totodile on the Switch. It's a starter and from a generation that is generally shat at so I'm not expecting it to make it to many regional pokedexes. Screw you GameFreak.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Well, it's not like they tried to give an excuse yet, but that doesn't stop them from doing so later. Would you be okay if they did then?

If they gave me an excuse I'm okay with, sure.

Just to be clear, I wasn't happy with Let's Go only having Kanto Pokémon, and had I been in charge things would have been different, but I understood what they were going for enough to accept it. Similarly, I don't think I would ever be happy with this situation in Sword and Shield, but I would be a whole lot more accepting if given a reason for why it's they way it is.

To me, it just seems like a double standard. If you are going to criticize a game for doing something, you shouldn't turn the blind eye to a game doing the exact same thing.

It's only a double standard if the conditions are the same. The different conditions here lead to differing opinions.

The truth is a lot of people think certain things should be protected from criticism because they have nostalgia in it's favor and that is just pure bias. Not saying you are one of them, but there is definetly people like that...

Can't speak for anyone else, but I didn't start playing Pokémon games until Gen IV, I never even played a Kanto game until they came out on the 3DS Virtual Console. Nostalgia was not a factor for me.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I mean, this isn't enough to not make me want to buy the games, but this does put a damper on my excitement. The game will still probably be good, but the idea that some of my Pokemon will be stuck on the 3DS games until who knows when is depressing. I seriously hope they're patching the missing ones in later.

EDIT: For free of course. So help me if they make us buy DLC to have the remaining Pokemon in SwSh, I'm quitting these games all over again. There's no excuse for them leaving the rosters unfinished and then charging us to complete them, those are the kind of scummy practices that make people distrust DLC in the first place.

Even if you couldn't catch them in game, they at least had all of the assets ready and let you transfer the missing ones in. You can't even do that much with SwSh, if it's not in the Galar Dex, you can't have them in the game at all. Period.

Last edited:

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
If there's even one pokemon that doesn't make the cut, a single old pokemon that can't possibly get in the new games (besides Event only pokemon that they intend to add later) it will be letting down completionists.

They're not going to the extra mile for the fans. Satoru Iwata wouldn't have stood for this. They need to have a plan to fix this before Home is released.

Also, if they're gonna cut out all the legendaries from this game, besides the new ones and maybe one trio of old ones. That just means that more of them will have to be crammed into a hypothetical future game.

Metafogos

If there's even one pokemon that doesn't make the cut, a single old pokemon that can't possibly get in the new games (besides Event only pokemon that they intend to add later) it will be letting down completionists.

They're not going to the extra mile for the fans. Satoru Iwata wouldn't have stood for this. They need to have a plan to fix this before Home is released.

Also, if they're gonna cut out all the legendaries from this game, besides the new ones and maybe one trio of old ones. That just means that more of them will have to be crammed into a hypothetical future game.

Or, maybe, in the 3rd game, we can has everyone...

Im really sad with this, but really hope this is only a temporary feature to cut time, allowing the team make all the assets need for the ones out come in the next game...

And... with this in mind... probably they cut ALL the Mega forms too...

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Or, maybe, in the 3rd game, we can has everyone...

Im really sad with this, but really hope this is only a temporary feature to cut time, allowing the team make all the assets need for the ones out come in the next game...

And... with this in mind... probably they cut ALL the Mega forms too...

That's even worse than DLC TBH. Then instead of paying maybe $10-$20, now you're paying $60 for Pokemon that should've been there to begin with.

The only way they can fix this mess without looking cash grabby is with a free patch to SwSh. That's it. Any other solution will just make them look even worse.

Last edited:

Sceptrigon

Armored Legend
I mean, this isn't enough to not make me want to buy the games, but this does put a damper on my excitement. The game will still probably be good, but the idea that some of my Pokemon will be stuck on the 3DS games until who knows when is depressing. I seriously hope they're patching the missing ones in later.

EDIT: For free of course. So help me if they make us buy DLC to have the remaining Pokemon in SwSh, I'm quitting these games all over again. There's no excuse for them leaving the rosters unfinished and then charging us to complete them, those are the kind of scummy practices that make people distrust DLC in the first place.

That's even worse than DLC TBH. Then instead of paying maybe $10-$20, now you're paying $60 for Pokemon that should've been there to begin with.

I wouldn’t even like the idea of patching or DLC and would rather have the original versions of the game completed in the first place. My hype for this game has gone way down since the first trailer, and there are so few things about these games that I like that I’m not even sure it’s worth buying anymore.

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
So I'm curious, do you think that the fact that Pokémon from Pokémon Home can only be transferred to Pokémon Sword and Shield if they're in the Galar dex will affect the sales for Sword and Shield and if so, by how much? I wonder because a lot of other main games for Nintendo franchises have come out on the Switch and are setting records, such as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, etcetera. What effect will this limitation have on Pokémon Sword and Shield's sales? Moreover, could it affect the future sales of other Pokémon games like Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee?

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Now let's be fair, its not like that is a new thing or never warranted. The hardware changes in third gen meant many pokemon from the past two gens were no longer available, and you had to buy other games later on for the chance to transfer them in. Do you think that was a cash grab?

Going as far as saying every pokemon should be there to begin with is a bit much I think, given that has NEVER been the case in any of the games (you've always had to trade (or buy the other game version), go to events, or transfer to get them all). The thing is Sword and Shield seems to be taking this further with actually excluding transfers completely, but we'll have to see just how this really turns out.

Let's also keep in mind that pretty much everything regarding game content is more expensive to produce and maintain these days thanks to how complex things have become, I can't fault every instance of them asking for more money to get more content.

So I'm curious, do you think that the fact that Pokémon from Pokémon Home can only be transferred to Pokémon Sword and Shield if they're in the Galar dex will affect the sales for Sword and Shield and if so, by how much? I wonder because a lot of other main games for Nintendo franchises have come out on the Switch and are setting records, such as The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, etcetera. What effect will this limitation have on Pokémon Sword and Shield's sales? Moreover, could it affect the future sales of other Pokémon games like Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee?
I anticipate it will have little effect. Unless there is evidence that a large proportion of people who buy the games actually even transfer pokemon from older generations. Its long been my impression that the majority of sales Pokemon games make are to much more casual players, as evidenced by how well Let's Go did despite it being so divisive among the more serious players.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
You just reiterated my point. They brought this up on a interview about LGEP, so obviously they were reassuring players that a different and more traditional game was on development, since some people were upset over the lack of features like wild battles.

They weren't referring to Let's GO, which is what you said.

Immediately following Let's GO's reveal, Nintendo announced that a traditional core series RPG was still in development, to be released in 2019. That is Sword & Shield.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
So I’m confused—is mega evolution gone? I’m seeing stuff saying yes. But wanted a straight answer
Unknown at this point in time until we get a clear answer.

People getting bent out of shape over the lack of a National Dex saddens me, since it means nobody cares about the new pokémon

Paradoxically, these same people are also over the moon about the corgi and wooloo, so I'm a little baffled as to what they're actually thinking
It literally has nothing to do with the new Pokemon or people not caring about the new Pokemon. It's straight up because there's going to be a pretty decently sized chunk of Pokemon that will just be gone from Gen 8.

Basically, people like myself and others who have favorite Pokemon not yet showcased have a pretty good chance of just not seeing that Pokemon in the game at all and needing to wait maybe a year or more just for another chance to see if that Pokemon will be available.

You also just contradicted yourself at the end there. These are the same people who love Yamper and Wooloo lmao