• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Healing when being put in the PC wasn't a thing until Gen II anyway. If we're lucky, this will be another aspect of Gen I they bring back.

Assuming the reason we have Pokemon following us again this time is because they had to make the models for the overworld anyway, I guess it depends whether or not that style will remain for Gen VIII. If it does, I can't think of any good reason not to keep Pokemon following us. But I can't imagine them going to all that work if we go back to random encounters.

Aren't the models for the overworld (from Gen 7) pretty future-proofed as it is? They can be rendered in st least full HD, and I don't see this series making the leap to 4k any time soon. The only real work is making the same models for Gen 8 Pokémon, and that's really not much, relatively speaking.

I wouldn't expect new, overhauled models for a while, really. Maybe new colors, textures, etc but the bulk of the work in making models doesn't need to be done again for a while.

Akashin

Aren't the models for the overworld (from Gen 7) pretty future-proofed as it is? They can be rendered in st least full HD, and I don't see this series making the leap to 4k any time soon. The only real work is making the same models for Gen 8 Pokémon, and that's really not much, relatively speaking.

I wouldn't expect new, overhauled models for a while, really. Maybe new colors, textures, etc but the bulk of the work in making models doesn't need to be done again for a while.

Probably, now that I think about it. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if we for whatever reason don't have Pokemon following us come next year anyway, but you're probably right.

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty

The only thing people that people may not like that those Flying-types with an awkward "flying" model will be cursed with said models till the day the Pokemon franchise dies/the end of time. At the very least those Pokemon could use their "standing" Amie/Refresh models as their default pose and only adopt the flying pose when they use Fly or similiar moves (or following the trainer if the following mechanic is present).

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
The only thing people that people may not like that those Flying-types with an awkward "flying" model will be cursed with said models till the day the Pokemon franchise dies/the end of time. At the very least those Pokemon could use their "standing" Amie/Refresh models as their default pose and only adopt the flying pose when they use Fly or similiar moves (or following the trainer if the following mechanic is present).

Xatu comes to mind... even its battle animation is strange.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I doubt that Sky Battles will come back in the long run so there is no need to have these flying models in the new games.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I seriously hope the the new region isn't based on Spain or Italy though...Nothing against them but I'd prefer more Japan or Greece.

I mean, we had Japan four times already, eight times if you count the remakes. I think we've had enough of Japan.

As for Greece, I can't think of too much of the country that would be useful without using the ancient world to do it. I think I'd prefer Italy in that regard; however, I'm still holding out for Canada, to complete the Hawaii-France-Canada trio.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I mean, we had Japan four times already, eight times if you count the remakes. I think we've had enough of Japan.

As for Greece, I can't think of too much of the country that would be useful without using the ancient world to do it. I think I'd prefer Italy in that regard; however, I'm still holding out for Canada, to complete the Hawaii-France-Canada trio.

Since Alola was tropical I'd want a region set in a temperate or arctic environment. Canada or Scandinavia would be my choices.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
So, not to be blunt, but... you mean like literally flat out saying that LGPE were made with a more casual audience in mind and that they want "long time fans" to "look forward to" the 2019 games? The rhetoric and language surrounding these games from official sources is quite literally "we hear you and we want to be sure all our fans are happy." There's more than enough cause to be like, at least a little optimistic about them.

I mean like having a game that can be both casual and hardcore, a game that can be as easy or difficult as you want it to be, a game where you can battle trainers, collect Pokemon, explore, interact with other players, experience a good story, or participate in side activities or quests, whatever the player wants to do. They don't really need to split up the series like this, they just need to be flexible in their design approach and make sure the games can accommodate different playstyles.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I mean like having a game that can be both casual and hardcore, a game that can be as easy or difficult as you want it to be, a game where you can battle trainers, collect Pokemon, explore, interact with other players, experience a good story, or participate in side activities or quests, whatever the player wants to do. They don't really need to split up the series like this, they just need to be flexible in their design approach and make sure the games can accommodate different playstyles.

I imagine, given the direction of the series at large, that that's exactly what a game aimed at pleasing longtime fans would be, because that's been the exact constant demand from the most vocal (loud) of the fans that consider themselves "hardcore" for years. They're not ever going to make a game that is just difficult, or just combat, or just appeals to that more extremist sect of players. Any game that can present a challenge will almost definitely have elements or modes or side quests that are significantly easier and more casual. My point wasn't that they need to or want to segregate the fanbase; rather, it was that the development of a more casual game and also a game they claim to want to appeal to longtime fans with indicates that they are actively considering all kinds of fans, and that will probably be clearly reflected in the final product next year.

As a side note, I never got the point of this kind of request or desire when there is an abundance of ways to make the games tougher for oneself and casuality should be the default given that kids and casuals do play these games in likely higher numbers, but I digress. Sure it's reasonable to ask for them to simply bring back the difficulty modes from the B2W2 key system, but like, without the actual key system, but still.

Not that it would be all that much work for them to literally just change team rosters and AI settings for a difficulty mode.

Kage-Pikachu

Since Alola was tropical I'd want a region set in a temperate or arctic environment. Canada or Scandinavia would be my choices.
Scandinavia would be cool! Norway would make an awesome basis for a region too!

True, I just really love Japan, heh, and I always think of ancient Greece when I imagine that country, ancient Rome would be ok to I guess. Maybe Italy would make an interesting basis for a region after all.

What do you guys want the new pseudo legendary to be? I would like it to be Ground/Ice or Fighting/Ground. Dragons are awesome but I think we could use a break from Dragon type Pseudo legendaries. We haven't had two in one gen since gen 3 so I'm holding out hope for two in gen 8! I shouldn't get my hopes up though, lol.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
What do you guys want the new pseudo legendary to be? I would like it to be Ground/Ice or Fighting/Ground. Dragons are awesome but I think we could use a break from Dragon type Pseudo legendaries. We haven't had two in one gen since gen 3 so I'm holding out hope for two in gen 8! I shouldn't get my hopes up though, lol.
It will be hilarious if there is a Fairy-type pseudo Legendary so that it will be strong against the majority of the other pseudo Legendaries. So far it's been good that Game Freak have introduced some Fairy-type Legendaries in Sun and Moon. Maybe it could be a Fairy/Ground so that it could use an unused type combo.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
It will be hilarious if there is a Fairy-type pseudo Legendary so that it will be strong against the majority of the other pseudo Legendaries. So far it's been good that Game Freak have introduced some Fairy-type Legendaries in Sun and Moon. Maybe it could be a Fairy/Ground so that it could use an unused type combo.

Fairy/Ground is a pretty interesting possibility; one I hadn't considered and two whole types unused in the pseudo-legendary line so far.

I'm on board for some Fairy/Dragon and Fairy/Dark shenanigans though, and would love to see the former as a pseudo-legendary type combo rather than being strictly limited to one puffball Mega Evolution like it is right now.

I'd also like to advocate wildly hard for either a magnificent, shimmering Fairy/Dragon evolution for Dunsparce, or a split evolution line for Dunsparce with one being Fairy or Normal/Fairy and the other being Dragon or Normal/Dragon. Preferably the former route, though, because it would be so cool.

#JusticeForDunsparce

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Fairy/Ground is a pretty interesting possibility; one I hadn't considered and two whole types unused in the pseudo-legendary line so far.

I'm on board for some Fairy/Dragon and Fairy/Dark shenanigans though, and would love to see the former as a pseudo-legendary type combo rather than being strictly limited to one puffball Mega Evolution like it is right now.

I'd also like to advocate wildly hard for either a magnificent, shimmering Fairy/Dragon evolution for Dunsparce, or a split evolution line for Dunsparce with one being Fairy or Normal/Fairy and the other being Dragon or Normal/Dragon. Preferably the former route, though, because it would be so cool.

#JusticeForDunsparce
I'd definitely want a Dragon/Fairy or a Fairy/Dark. Maybe a Fairy/Fighting as well because these type combinations contrast so well. But yeah, I am definitely looking forward to a non-Mega Dragon/Fairy to be introduced, maybe one that gets shunned by other Dragon-types and gets preyed on by other Fairy-types.

Kage-Pikachu

Heh, not even Metagross could stand against Fairy/Ground! What kind of creature comes to mind when you think about that type combination?

Fairy/Dark would make a great type, I keep thinking they'll save that for a legendary or mythical though but maybe not. Lots of people want Dunsparce to evolve, I don't blame them, gen 2 had a lot of Pokemon with lackluster stats. I'm all for new branched evolutions too, I've always loved those.

I hope male and female characteristics are more blatant in the new games, I always think it's weird to see a female Machoke...

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Heh, not even Metagross could stand against Fairy/Ground! What kind of creature comes to mind when you think about that type combination?
Maybe a land-spirit creature of various shapes similarly to the Tapus or maybe it could be a unicorn. Not really too sure of what mythical creature the former is based on at the moment.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I guess, given the Gen 7 designs in general, a lot of the kinds of designs and concepts they introduce as Gen 8 species will be directly related to the physical theme and location of the eighth generation's new region.

That's probably the part I'm most excited about - the worldbuilding and lore is always my favorite part of a new generation, and I can't wait to see what's next. Fingers crossed that it's surprisingly different and unique for the series!

Kage-Pikachu

Maybe a land-spirit creature of various shapes similarly to the Tapus or maybe it could be a unicorn. Not really too sure of what mythical creature the former is based on at the moment.
We could use another unicorn Pokemon, I still think Rapidash should have had a Mega Evolution or type change. I'm not as imaginative as I would like to be so it's difficult for me to envision that as well.

What type do you guys want the new "Pidgey" to be? I seriously thought Pikipeck was going to be Steel/Flying due to it's coloring. I thought it was be an offensive Skarmory but I was way off. I still think it'd be a good type though, Normal/Flying is overdone and in my opinion, Starraptor is still the best one, Talonflame was a welcome surprise so I hope the next bird follows suit.

I'm also hoping we can choose different types of fields in online battles and even have stages with various effects to add more of a challenge, like make one take place in an automatic Trick Room, have one in a rainy location, how about fog screwing up accuracy or other special fields which power up certain Pokemon (similar to Yugioh spell cards). These could be OPTIONAL and selected at random so no one tries to always get the one that benefits them the most.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
We could use another unicorn Pokemon, I still think Rapidash should have had a Mega Evolution or type change. I'm not as imaginative as I would like to be so it's difficult for me to envision that as well.
I've also been thinking that the Fairy pseudo-Legendary Pokémon may be of celestial origin, gets some of its energy from the Moon and it is capable of firing intense beams of lights. But we have had a lot of Pokémon of celestial origin that are Psychic-type, and I think that there's enough Psychic/Fairy Pokémon for now. But then there's the Clefairy line which is pure Fairy and maybe it could just be pure Fairy.

Orphalesion

I always think of ancient Greece when I imagine that country, ancient Rome would be ok to I guess. Maybe Italy would make an interesting basis for a region after all.

I think modern Greece actually has a lot to offer as base for a new region. Not only do you have all those nice ruins but also very varied terrain; you have sun-baked, desolate hills where nothing lives but a few hardy shrubs, you have river valleys with green forests, you have the north where it regularly snows every winter, you have massive mountains (like Mt. Olymp) beautiful seaside cliffs that the Switch could render very well... sunken portions to explore where you can discover ancient artefacts (and pokemon) large tracts of land that are used to grow olive, orange and lemon trees as well as grapes...
And there could be a lot of individuality between the cities, from busy, kinda dirty and smelly Athens (with it's cultural scene) to stunning little villages that are built into the side of cliffs...

Greece wouldn't be a bad Pokemon region. However unless they emphasize the barren nature of a lot of Greece's landscape then, as a subtropical place, and considering things are simplified and idealized in Pokemon games... Poke-Greece might end up a quite similar to Alola.... There's a lot of places in Greece where you could be fooled into thinking you are in the tropics with palm trees and white sand and everything.
Southern France (my big wish, since I'm not a fan that they left out the beautiful Provence, the most stunning place in continental Europe, imho, from X/Y) would have a similar problem, at least along the coast, it is more varied inland with the southern outskirts of the alps and all. And Southern France is quite different, culturally from Northern France...with much more Ancient Roman influence and ruins and all and more laid back as well.

And yes, I do want my friggin Unicorn. Rapidash just has a horn, it doesn't have any of the aspects of a Medieval Unicorn; it doesn't guard forests, it doesn't have healing properties, it isn't particularly "pure"(whatever that means) it's just wild. And I'm not sure even a regional variant could capture that completely, unless it's a very large difference in both Ponyta and Rapidash, like on the level of Alolan Exeguttor.
I'd really love a Fairy/Grass unicorn that learns Flower Shield, Healing Bell, Misty Terrain and Dazzling Gleam.