• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

• Total voters

Ulicies

Mild Monk
They're outright changing the game for the sake of competitive balance. They're pretending that everyone is playing like a competitive player (which is simply not true).
And since that rationale obviously doesn't make sense, it seems like a pretty transparent excuse. When they threw out development and timing limitations for this, they even said "More importantly it's about balance," as if this was the biggest reason why...

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
They're outright changing the game for the sake of competitive balance. They're pretending that everyone is playing like a competitive player (which is simply not true).
Exactly and that rubs me the wrong way. I was hoping they wouldn't go this route. But it is what it is. Best I can do is to have fun with what I like about it.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
Exactly and that rubs me the wrong way. I was hoping they wouldn't go this route. But it is what it is. Best I can do is to have fun with what I like about it.
Well there's always the option of voting with your wallet, but unfortunately I get the feeling that Sword and Shield will still sell millions of copies regardless. Besides, 75%~ of Pokemon revenue comes from merchandise, so that's where people should start anyway.

They talked about balance, they never mentioned competitive balance. That's just your interpretation. There are other kinds of balance.
From Masuda:
the balance of the battle system
So yes, competitive battling.

Edit: Source

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Well there's always the option of voting with your wallet, but unfortunately I get the feeling that Sword and Shield will still sell millions of copies regardless. Besides, 75%~ of Pokemon revenue comes from merchandise, so that's where people should start anyway.

From Masuda:

So yes, competitive battling.
Yea and I'm still interested in what it brings otherwise at this point. If Ditto wasn't in it, meaning as part of the breeding aspect, I probably wouldn't bother with it, as it takes away part of what I like to do in game. I agree about the merchandise part, I'd probably be at the no buying of anything else merchandise related point. Not at the no buying games.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
That's GF's excuse for cutting half the Pokedex and gutting Megas and Z-Moves.
One phrase I noticed that keeps getting repeated in these recent interviews is "giving all the Pokemon a chance to shine." They use this phrase almost every time they describe Dynamaxing.

Guess what phrase they throw in as they talk about cutting compatibility?

But even more than that, it's coming down to the battle system. We're making sure we can keep everything balanced and give all the Pokemon that appear in the games a chance to shine."

I can't help but wonder if they cut compatibility for the sake of Dynamaxing. . . . . . . . .

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
It's your interpretation that he means competitive battling. I can also interpet it as balance between the pokémon for the story, which is quite frankly rather poor in USUM. There are games that did it a lot worse but USUM is far from good at it. The difference between picking Ekans or Grimer as your poison type is astonishing, because Grimer actually has bulk and gets poison STAB moves by level-up that actually deal damage while Ekans and Arbok are stuck with Poison Sting till they get Gunk Shot (level 49 for Ekans, level 63 for Arbok). Steenee evolves at level 29 when it gets good, but before that Steenee has worse stats than a first-stage pokémon like Rowlet, it's terrible for a second-stage pokémon. Noibat is also terrible because it evolves at level 48 and before that it's stuck on Pidgey's stats without a single Dragon STAB move. Fomantis isn't all that good because it evolves too late at level 34. Like, being stuck at an unevolved state for too long makes these pokémon very underpowered in the story when other pokémon like Pikipek, Cutiefly, and Grubbin are evolving and getting decent moves and stats, when Hawlucha shows up early game already at fully evolved stats.

I mean, he also says this:

But yeah, it was pretty much just balancing and getting this optimal selection of Pokemon for the adventure we wanted to provide.
Sounds like he means balancing the pokémon in the game out for the story more to me.

Rio!

Composer
Yea and I'm still interested in what it brings otherwise at this point. If Ditto wasn't in it, meaning as part of the breeding aspect, I probably wouldn't bother with it, as it takes away part of what I like to do in game. I agree about the merchandise part, I'd probably be at the no buying of anything else merchandise related point. Not at the no buying games.

This probably would be a bit easier to swallow if it was possible to work in breeding being possible in Home, that way you're able to keep replenishing what you might need in SWSH for certain egg groups. Being wihout Dittos especially are just. Rgh.
I highly doubt that would happen though so. /big-shrug

Ulicies

Mild Monk
It's your interpretation that he means competitive battling. I can also interpet it as balance between the pokémon for the story, which is quite frankly rather poor in USUM. There are games that did it a lot worse but USUM is far from good at it. The difference between picking Ekans or Grimer as your poison type is astonishing, because Grimer actually has bulk and gets poison STAB moves by level-up that actually deal damage while Ekans and Arbok are stuck with Poison Sting till they get Gunk Shot (level 49 for Ekans, level 63 for Arbok). Steenee evolves at level 29 when it gets good, but before that Steenee has worse stats than a first-stage pokémon like Rowlet, it's terrible for a second-stage pokémon. Noibat is also terrible because it evolves at level 48 and before that it's stuck on Pidgey's stats without a single Dragon STAB move. Fomantis isn't all that good because it evolves too late at level 34. Like, being stuck at an unevolved state for too long makes these pokémon very underpowered in the story when other pokémon like Pikipek, Cutiefly, and Grubbin are evolving and getting decent moves and stats, when Hawlucha shows up early game already at fully evolved stats.

I mean, he also says this:

Sounds like he means balancing the pokémon in the game out for the story more to me.

Or you could just retcon Ekans' move pool to learn Poison Fang earlier on, or any other Poison move really. They've remixed older Pokemon's move pools so many times, so this is hardly a compatibility-breaking issue. Also, just technically, most dragons have subpar pre-evolutions that are difficult to level up around their contemporaries until they achieve their powerful final evolution, so Noibat isn't the best example. Even Larvesta follows this trend.

Masuda talks about the battle system twice, and then mentions "the optimal selection... for the adventure" as an aside at the very end. Seems like the more important excuse is battling to me.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
This probably would be a bit easier to swallow if it was possible to work in breeding being possible in Home, that way you're able to keep replenishing what you might need in SWSH for certain egg groups. Being wihout Dittos especially are just. Rgh.
I highly doubt that would happen though so. /big-shrug
Eh. I honestly have no real interest in Home for what it's worth. But you do bring up a good point about bringing in different Pokémon, but no Ditto = no go. I don't plan on getting Home, at least not right away. It's not something I need all that much.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
Eh. I honestly have no real interest in Home for what it's worth. But you do bring up a good point about bringing in different Pokémon, but no Ditto = no go. I don't plan on getting Home, at least not right away. It's not something I need all that much.
Don't you worry Mr. Hardcore Genwunner! All 151 Gen 1 Pokemon are safely intact in Sword and Shield.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Don't you worry Mr. Hardcore Genwunner! All 151 Gen 1 Pokemon are safely intact in Sword and Shield.

I'm just more of a Poké Breeder by the way. :p And more of a semi-casual battler. I don't mind losing some of the Gen 1 Pokémon to be honest, just not Ditto, given its usefulness. Sorry about the Ditto = no go thing. I'm not that much of a hard liner.

Ulicies

Mild Monk
I'm just more of a Poké Breeder by the way. :p And more of a semi-casual battler. I don't mind losing some of the Gen 1 Pokémon to be honest, just not Ditto, given its usefulness. Sorry about the Ditto = no go thing. I'm not that much of a hard liner.
Don't worry, I was just being facetious. I believe they already confirmed all Gen 1 Pokemon are in Sword and Shield.

And by the way, serious breeders are just as hardcore of players as competitive battlers. I was one of them. So many mechanics to manage in order to breed Pokemon with just the right IV's, abilities, natures, egg moves, genders if you're cross-breeding, etc.

WishIhadaManafi5

Staff member
Don't worry, I was just being facetious. I believe they already confirmed all Gen 1 Pokemon are in Sword and Shield.

And by the way, serious breeders are just as hardcore of players as competitive battlers. I was one of them. So many mechanics and complexities to keep in mind to breed Pokemon with just the right IV's, abilities, egg moves, genders if you're cross-breeding, etc.
Cool.

Yea I'm not an uber serious breeder, but I try to have some fun while doing so, finding out what different movesets can be bred onto a Pokémon and that kind of thing. I'm not one to try for a perfect Pokémon all of the time, given real life and what not.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Don’t know if this has been said before but you’d be damned if I’m going through 5 pages of seeing the words “National Dex” and “GameFreak” for the umpteenthtime

-Dynamax Pokèmon explode when they faint. Even more reason to see Wailord with this as real life whale corpses commonly explode

-Gym Leaders say lines of dialogue midbattle like Gen 5 which is a nice touch

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual

I haven’t heard anything yet but it wouldn’t surprise me either, especially Ditto. The only gen 1 Pokemon I’m legitimately concerned about is Jynx.

That being said, since Megas are out but Charizard is in, I wonder if they’ll finally cave and give him a retcon. Perhaps something as simple as giving the Kanto starters their Megas’ abilities if they’re catchable in the wild. If they really wanted to, I suppose they could finally appease the fandom and make it Fire/Dragon...