1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon Sword & Shield GENERAL DISCUSSION Thread [Spoiler-Prone Area]

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword & Shield Discussion' started by Kage-Pikachu, Jun 9, 2018.

?

Does this idea seem at all plausible to you?

1. Nah

6.6%
  2. Yep

10.2%
  3. I'm a kangaroo

83.1%
  1. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

Actually, I think I may have quoted the wrong post. lol Not sure how, though.

EDIT: Nah, I quoted the right post. I was referring more so to the sentimental part. You may not be able to play with them, but at least you can still keep them, and have them safely stored for potential future games. Eventually, you'll be able to play with them again.

wolf jani likes this.
  2. TsengHyena

TsengHyena Well-Known Member

Thats why gen 2 games were pretty bad.

Most regional dexes are about 400-500ish, somewhere between there. We may get 500, or 550 if lucky, but I don't forsee it being higher than that. They wouldn't have made a big deal about it unless its a significant amount.

3. PrinceOfFacade

Well, this is what I can say:

One thing Masuda stated at E3 is that he doesn't like keeping fans waiting too long for the next game. Perhaps, instead of shouting at Game Freak about the issue, you all can offer the solution. Tell them you're okay with waiting. Let them know you're willing to wait however long it takes to get the full dex in.

If you shout that loud enough, they might listen.

(For the record, I'm being rather sincere. There's a certain way to do things. Honestly, I don't think the outrage is helping to change their mind. )

wolf jani likes this.
  4. SpookyMimikyu

SpookyMimikyu See me?

What I'm expecting for the post-game? Barring whatever battle facility there is, completing the regional Dex, and the option of Shiny Hunting, the most probable answer is a post-game area. Not like along the lines of Kanto like in GSC and HGSS, but something similar the portion of Sinnoh that's separate from the mainland, and capturing whatever the third Legendary is to Zacian and Zamazenta. We of course may also see yet another post-game quest, that seems to be the trend ever since ORAS released.

And this is more of a hope than anything, but with the Galar region's intense love of Pokemon battling as a sport as much as North American loves Amercian football and Europe adores standard football*, maybe there might be a chance of getting something like the Pokemon World Tournament? Maybe not exactly like it in that we can fight NPCs from past games, judging by the struggle to port over incompatible Pokemon, but hopefully we will be able to fight unique NPCs in a tournament-esque battle set that's not entirely focused on whether or not you're a good competitive battler, just that you know what you're doing without it being easy. Something that might satisfy casual fans with the most likely easiness of the main campaign and the latter satisfying people who were used to the pre-Gen VI difficulty in the main campaigns of those games without requiring 5 IV Pokemon. It's not likely to happen, but I thought it would be fun to put that hypothetical idea out there.

wolf jani likes this.
  5. Morty05

Morty05 Ghost-type trainer

Except GF said this will be standard practice after Sword and Shield

6. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Nighttime Guardian

Then how is it you are entirely unable to understand it? Is it just a lack of trying? Or am I seriously being that bad at describing my issues? Like, eventually can take a very very long time. And paying for potentially decades for Home and Home's successors on the successors of the Switch just for that eventuality of my favourite team combinations being possible again because it would simply take that long until certain combinations of pokémon appear again. Like, when will the next game be that features Minun + Suicune + Sceptile + Xurkitree + mega evolution? I don't know, but seeing as it has two legendaries from different regions it might take a very very long time. Xurkitree may be replaced by Tapu Koko, but that would be a significant downgrade in that team and Tapu Koko has an equally slim chance of being featured in the same region as Suicune as Xurkitree does. And Minun can't be replaced. It is the only pokémon in existence with the combination of Entrainment and Volt Absorb. Nothing else in the history of pokémon has ever had that combination. Like, eventually there probably will be a game with Minun in it. How big are the odds that all those other pokémon also happen to be available in that particular game? Simple probability mathematics tell me they're very low. You can keep on spouting your 'you can store them because eventually I'll be able to play with them again', but with no way of knowing how long it will take, is it worth it to keep paying for decades for a cloud storage just for that eventuality? I don't think it is.

I want to play Eldegoss with Tapu Bulu. When will they be featured together in a game? I don't know. Tapu Bulu likely won't be in Galar. So it could take a long time. I suppose I could replace Tapu Bulu with Tsareena which is in Galar, but Tsareena has far worse stats and no way of boosting its attack stat because Z-Splash doesn't exist in Galar, unlike Tapu Bulu which has options like Bulk Up or Rototiller. Lurantis might work, but it might also not be in Galar, it's not confirmed yet, and it's also awfully slow.

Mew2 likes this.
  7. 1rkhachatryan

1rkhachatryan Call me Robert guys

Lol, you do realize the competitive battling community is the minority in pokemon games right?? Most people do play just for the game itself, not just to get pokemon to battle.

8. Get off your high horse already. Have you ever once stopped to consider that maybe it's not about consumers being bad with money? That maybe they realize this is more expensive than it should be but they just don't care? I don't care that they cut some stuff out; I'll be perfectly happy with what IS in the game instead of complaining about what isn't. This is no different than any other hobby. Whether your hobby is collecting trading cards, working on motorcycles, making birdhouses, or playing video games, it's not about how much money you spend; it's about how much fun you get out of it.

Chaos Emperor and wolf jani like this.
  9. TsengHyena

TsengHyena Well-Known Member

They are unlikely to change their mind either way since Let's Go and Go has had a chilling effect on Gamefreak. Though its better to be speak up and not change anything, than to be silent and still not change anything.

Leonhart likes this.
  10. Exactly. Each new game will have some of the old Pokemon, but it's not going to be the same group every single time. Some fan favorites like Tyranitar most likely will be, but all the ones that aren't fan favorites will be shuffled around over time. They'll probably make an effort to include every single species over the course of every 2 or 3 dexes.

For example, say Yamask doesn't make the cut; I have absolutely no doubt that they would then include Yamask in the next game because it missed this one.

wolf jani likes this.
  11. PrinceOfFacade

You are being waaaaaaay too belligerent. Calm down there, man. lol

Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration, mate.

'Decades,' at minimum, is 20 years. A generation is released every three to four years. That's at least 5 generations-worth of games. Do you truly believe it will take 5 generations for a particular pokemon to return? I don't even think it's going to take 5 generations for the National Dex to return.

That type of precise thinking is only setting you up for failure. It's also a clear indication of the flaw of "having it all." When you have everything, you essentially have nothing. You become blind to the vast bountiful plethora around you. I see why so many are lamenting over particular pokemon. Fans have gotten so used to having the entire series roster at their disposal, they've basically ignored it. They clung to the few pokemon they wanted, not caring to seek out others because the few they wanted were always there. They didn't realize just how bountiful the National Dex was until they no longer had it. It's a classic case of "not loving your water until your well runs dry."

In your case, your lament over that precise combination of pokemon is, quite frankly, of your own doing. My only suggestion for you is: branch out. Find other pokemon to love. Minun may be the only pokemon with that combination, but it's not the only pokemon in the world. Move forward, and devise a new team.

I will admit, though, that it is relatively easy for me to move forward from previous teams, because I enjoy creating new teams and finding new strategies. Doing so has also helped me find new pokemon to play with. I have literally hundreds of pokemon that I enjoy playing with, so even if my favorites - like Spiritomb, Jynx, Aegislash, and Grumpig - might not make the cut, I know there are many others - like Milotic, Mudsdale, Togekiss, and Golurk - that will.

ChibiMusouka and wolf jani like this.
  12. Chaos Emperor

Chaos Emperor ................

This. This is about all people can really do to try to make change happen. If some Pokemon not being available (even though they’ll be kept safe and sound in Pokemon bank/home) is really that much of a game breaker (pun intended) then just don’t buy the game.

If sales dip enough they’ll notice and take action, though given it’s Pokemon even if it only sold like 2 million it’s probably still make a profit. But seeing how let's go pikachu/eevee sold around 10 million so far I expect sw/sh to sell similar numbers regardless of controversy; after all mega evos were controversial when they were first revealed now apparently it’s indispensable, same with z-moves, so I’m sure Dynamax will fall into the same category after release.

And just cause some people aren’t as up in arms over something doesn’t mean they’re “part of the problem” or trying to protect game freak from criticism; it means it just doesn’t bother them enough to get so worked up, or maybe they’re waiting for more info (we still don’t know for sure which Pokemon won’t make it after all), or any number of factors.

And attacking fans who aren’t on your “side” isn’t gonna magically convince them to agree; no it’s more likely gonna breed resentment for not respecting their right to have their own opinion. I understand why some are upset but just because I don’t share said anger doesn’t mean I’m enabling game freak to be “lazy”.

Remember game freak is also working on another game for switch currently called Town. Meaning their work force is divided between that and sw/sh; I know Pokemon is their biggest game without question but does that mean they can’t do anything else? With this in mind having to divide workforce between these games means they probably lacked the man power to implement all Pokemon in these games. But now that I’ve aid this those who are upset are probably gonna demand game freak cancel Town so that group can fix this “tragedy” cause muh childhood. Spoiler: if u were a child during gen 3/4 u ain’t a child anymore.

At the end of the day, money talks bull**** walks, so if this is really some sin against humanity then don’t buy the game, but also don’t hold a grudge against those who do decide to buy it.

13. PrinceOfFacade

This is a very fine point.

I remember quite a few remarking how they felt mega evolution was stupid, and just a mirror of Digimon. Even I said it was stupid. Cut to two years later, and I was asking for a Mega Jynx and Mega Milotic. We do learn to love the things we hate.

I agree that people will also fall for Dynamaxing as they play Sword and Shield, and possibly become equally sad when it's taken away.

wolf jani likes this.
  14. I'm going to be honest, part of me wants to preorder a second copy of one or both of the games just to spite the people who are all gung-ho about boycotting it.

3DSRed, wolf jani and Chaos Emperor like this.
  15. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Kanae, Keeper of the Gates Emblazoned

They can't. Pokémon isn't just the games, and it's not like younger kids are going to know or care about the cuts made to the Dex. And they're the ones who spend the most money through plush toys and merch like that that parents and grandparents buy for them.

wolf jani and Dragalge like this.
  16. Poke Trainer J

Poke Trainer J Well-Known Member

Found an interesting post on reddit regarding Japanese opinions on the National Dex cut:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/c187sz/japanese_opinion_regarding_national_dex_cut/

17. PrinceOfFacade

Then in that case, there no use in making a fuss.

Accept the loss and move on, be it with the games or without them.

wolf jani likes this.
  18. Mhov

Mhov Active Member

Don't put words in my mouth and then belittle me with those words. I cling to whatever I want to cling to and I'm not in the wrong for doing so. It took a long time to assemble a living dex and I would like, or would've liked, to enjoy and use it in S&S, thank you very much. You can now call me a genwunner if you do so desire.

I think other people already adressed why this got so out of hand. About the anger here. Yes I did play a role that and I shouldn't have openly called the fanbase and GF complacent and I shouldn't have implied fans have low standards. That was very vitriolic of me.

There have always been people who had (and have) problems with unobtainable Pokemon and yes, also for the reasons you mentioned. When I grew up link cables were a rare commodity in our class, very few of my classmates had one and if you weren't part of a friend group that had one, tough luck. For some people it was three generations of tough luck, if they didn't stop playing after gen 2. It shouldn't be a surprise people left the series for that and they weren't wrong for doing so.

XY and SM could also be patched, the 3DS was able to do so. GF didn't do that. It's not impossible they will do so now, but that's why people are saying there isn't much of a precedent. Who knows, perhaps they'll delay Pokemon Home to make a patch and release it in mid 2020 (or later) instead of early 2020. I would certainly appreciate that.

19. Cloud5001

Cloud5001 Well-Known Member

You say your not entitled, but then you say crap like this that makes it pretty obvious you have a stick up your ass. I'm ok with this change and that's my choice to make. You don't get to decide that for me, OR insult me or anyone else because they feel different. When I see something I don't like you bet your ass I'm going to say something, I'm not a fan of the Black and White Anime so I'm not afraid to get critical with Pokémon if I feel it's needed, however I don't feel this situation is that big of a deal and certainly won't allow it to effect whether or not I play a game from a series I love.

I posted here before that things are changing for Pokémon, whether you like it or not it's happening. All you can control here is how you choose to spend your money, Game Freak has to do whatever they want with the games they own. Whether you accept it or not is the only choice you get to make, I know making a game isn't easy. Look up the history of any game series and you'll see stories of devleopers running into huge problems at one point or another. I see where Game Freak is coming from so that's why I'm not bothered by this.

Alli, Orphalesion and wolf jani like this.
  20. Ignition

Ignition “Go get ‘em, tiger!”

That’s just as bad as the people who think their refusal to buy the games will massively impact the series. What does buying a second copy out of pettiness accomplish? I guarantee most, if not all, the people complaining will not give your purchase a second thought.